Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Hawaii- Oahu- July 2017 -8'5 Speeed

Created by Supmaori > 9 months ago, 22 Jul 2017
Supmaori
746 posts
4 Aug 2017 4:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Towball..can i ask where abouts you have been for your surfing trip. Already planning to get back there...was going to go back to Waikiki/Oahu again but be keen to hear if anyone has visited the other islands.

Hawaiiheke
319 posts
4 Aug 2017 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yep.....she's soft as at the moment!

Hawaiiheke
319 posts
4 Aug 2017 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Bowls at the mo.

SUPbru
386 posts
4 Sep 2017 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from Hawaii...3 nights in Waikiki followed by 4 nights in Maui & a final stop-over back in Waikiki. Surf was marginal for the majority of the trip until our final day when a decent southerly pulse pushed through...unfortuntaely, I couldn't get in the mix due to an injury

I did however pop into Blue Planet & I had a long chat to John who was super friendly & helpful. They have a good range of boards & paddles (including their demo fleet) so it's worthwhile checking them out.

Supmaori
746 posts
9 Sep 2017 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome bro..hope the injury not too bad..saw that pulse on the forecast..looked decent few days..Blue Planet like being in a lolllie shop lol..couldve easily maxed the card out in there..scored a paddle top tho..cant find those in NZ and hearty leash among a few other goidies..friendly dudes alright
Chur

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
6 Oct 2017 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Thank God there is a lot of "Aloha"'out here. The mix of surf schools, locals , learners , canoes and catamarans means you need to have a lot of sharing and watching. Those canoes ain't stopping for anyone .
No real etiquette here but no agro either . Very chilled . After 3 hours of SUS I am beat.

exiled
362 posts
6 Oct 2017 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, Waikiki is never going to have much etiquette. Too many people learning from all over the world. Though to etiquette for canoes is pretty much 'canoes have the right of way.'

On the other hand, the North shore has been fun all week. Hooray for shoulder season!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Oct 2017 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

7:30 am and super crowded already. Over 100 out already
No SUS today. Going North Shore with the family

sgo
VIC, 166 posts
7 Oct 2017 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

I'm guessing those pics are taken from your hotel ?
Which is it and would you recommend it ?
Just doing some forward planning??

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Oct 2017 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

The Sheraton Waikiki.
Nice but is costs $$$. A bit beyond what I should be spending particularly as I recently lost job .
But with a younger family I spend more time in than normal so it's great being able to just sit and watch the action . Money can never buy his time back so sometimes you just have to spend .
If you want to guarantee this view you need to get Deluxe Ocean Front .
if you need to hire board I personally recommend Blue Planet Surf and you can rent a board locker 5 min away at Nalu Storage. Other places allow you to store board but may not have this view .
By the way this beach never sleep.
Just came back from a day trip to north shore and got to see Waimea and Sunset . Awesome to go there.
Came back and still hundreds in at 6:20pm

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
7 Oct 2017 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..
Money can never buy his time back so sometimes you just have to spend .

Ain't that the truth!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
8 Oct 2017 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Another awesome day at "Canoes".
3 hours and exhausted . Got in early today before the real canoes started

supthecreek
2616 posts
8 Oct 2017 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Nice Boots.... glad you are enjoying your time in Hawaii!
Thanks for the pics..... cool to see an elevated view!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
8 Oct 2017 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Just walked to Blue Planet Surf.
These guys have an awesome shop.
Glad to also support them as they provide a lot of free advice on their website and via YouTube . Mike has been a pleasure to deal with.

Supmaori
746 posts
9 Oct 2017 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Boots..sounds like you had a mean time..nice view from the room too
Chur

yowiesup
NSW, 66 posts
11 Oct 2017 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Just back from Oahu. Spent a week on North Shore at Turtle Bay. Second visit there. Right hand point, prone surfed and days were waist to shoulder high. Returned to Waikiki, pretty small hired a rubbish SUP whopper but paddled over to Publics where uncrowded and scored a few over an hour. Beware reef there. Had a sunset cruise final nite and left from Ala Moana Shearaton Hawaian. Looked to have some nice waves off breakwall there at the western end of Waikiki.

Supmaori
746 posts
13 Oct 2017 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

Your not wrong about publics..i surfed it 3 or 4 times while I was there and still can't believe I managed to come away with board intact ..especially at low tide. Reef out of the water on the exit point... Still a nice wave tho and worth the paddle over
Chur

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
13 Oct 2017 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Copped plenty of reef cuts over the last week. I think the spot was called "Baby Queens". At times during low tide the reef felt like it was only 30cm below me. Bloody painful cuts

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Hawaii- Oahu- July 2017 -8'5 Speeed" started by Supmaori