Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Surfing Australia National SUP Titles 2013

Created by PTWoody > 9 months ago, 19 Apr 2013
PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Apr 2013 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

NATION'S BEST WILL HEAD TO CURRUMBIN FOR THE BE THE INFLUENCE AUSTRALIAN SUP AND PADDLEBOARD TITLES IN NOVEMBER

COOLANGATTA/QLD (19th April, 2013): Global SUP heartland Currumbin on the Gold Coast will host the inaugural Be the Influence Australian SUP and Paddleboard Titles from November 7-10.

Organised by Surfing Australia, it is the first time SUP and paddleboarding will conduct standalone national titles. Previously SUP has been included in the Australian Surf Festival.

Currumbin is one of the country's hotspots for the burgeoning sport of SUP and is the training venue for some of Australia's and the world's best paddlers.

The event is backed by the Be the Influence - Tackling Binge Drinking initiative, which is a Federal Government campaign addressing youth binge drinking and the influence of alcohol promotion on young Australians by promoting anti-binge drinking messaging through sport sponsorships.

Gold Coast Coast City Council is backing the event for two years and Chairperson of the GCCC Events Advisory Committee Bob La Castra said it was a perfect fit for the region.

“For us it's another top-draw surfing event, which we are always looking to secure and we're very excited that Currumbin will be the host for the first time.”

The SUP titles will be held across three disciplines: surfing; Technical Race between 4-8km of several laps in and out through the surf; and a 20-30km Marathon.

The paddleboard titles will be held in two disciplines; Technical Race between 4-8km of several laps in and out through the surf; and a 20-30km Marathon.

Each State – Victoria, WA, SA, NSW, Queensland and Tasmania – will host their own titles from which teams will be selected.

Surfing Australia CEO Andrew Stark said the huge growth and interest in SUP warranted standalone national titles.

“We are very excited to be able to offer both SUP and paddleboarding their own national titles,” Stark said.

“Both disciplines and their stakeholders deserve the recognition and it's a fantastic opportunity for the Gold Coast and Currumbin.”

Ten-time Molokai to Oahu paddleboard champion and captain of TravelSIM Team Australia at the ISA SUP and Paddleboard titles Jamie Mitchell, said the event was a step in the right direction for both disciplines.

“I always knew it would happen but sometimes things need time but as the sports grew, especially SUP, it was always going to need its own standalone event so I think it's great that Surfing Australia is supporting the sport and seeing that it has a great future ahead.

“You couldn't get a better venue then Currumbin. It's a great SUP wave for the surfing contest and you have the creek and the river mouth to utilise for the racing side of things and it's very spectator friendly. Plus you have a handful of the best SUP racers in the world that train in the Creek and live locally so it makes for a great event.”

AuSUP chairman Troy Pease said the organisation was ecstatic to see national prominence for the sport. AuSUP is recognised by Surfing Australia as the national advisory body for SUP.

“Stand-up paddling in Australia has become so huge in such as small amount of time that even the world has stood up to take notice and how fantastic for the national surfing body Surfing Australia to back and present a standalone national SUP titles at arguably the epicentre of SUP in the country, Currumbin,” Pease said.

“The versatility of the location, the experience and professionalism of Surfing Australia along with the event's supporting sponsors has certainly set the scene for the toughest SUP competition in Australia.”

DIVISIONS:
SUP:
Surfing: Men; Women; Over 40 Open; Over 50 Open
Technical Race – 4-8km sprint (12'6): Men; Women; Over 40 Open; Over 50 Open
Marathon – 20-30km (12'6): Men; Women.
Marathon – 20-30km (14'): Over 40 Open; Over 50 Open.
Marathon – 20-30km (14'): Open

PADDLEBOARDING:
Racing Technical– 4-8km (12' stock): Men; Women; Over 40.
Marathon –20-30km (12' stock): Men; Women; Over 40 Open.
Marathon –20-30km (Unlimited 18' with rudder): Open

Information on Be the Influence - Tackling Binge Drinking can be found at www.tacklingbingedrinking.gov.au. The Be the Influence - Tackling Binge Drinking sponsorship is managed through the Australian National Preventive Health Agency.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Apr 2013 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Back at the birth place of sup in Aus.

Ashton19
QLD, 120 posts
19 Apr 2013 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome news. Is that the week of Melbourne Cup?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Apr 2013 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Ashton19 said...
Awesome news. Is that the week of Melbourne Cup?

Yes, Melbourne Cup on the 5th.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Excellent news :)

X angie

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

X angie

Any truth to the rumour Peasey is encouraging SUPSA members to billet all the interstaters in their Gold Coast homes?

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Also PT, that they were providing loan boards to interstate competitors so they can just fly in without the need for BYO boards and the long drive...what a fantastic initiative....

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
19 Apr 2013 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...
angie pangi said...

X angie

Any truth to the rumour Peasey is encouraging SUPSA members to billet all the interstaters in their Gold Coast homes?

Yes that's true.......

How good is that on the Goldie.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
19 Apr 2013 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...
PTWoody said...
angie pangi said...

X angie

Yes that's true.......

How good is that on the Goldie.

I've seen your house in your vids Piros, shotgun staying with you!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
19 Apr 2013 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...
angie pangi said...

X angie

I do know of a house for sale in Palm Beach that could put up around 15-20 people. It is for sale at the moment but I'm sure the owners would kindly hold out for a sale after the titles!

ChrisClarke1
VIC, 227 posts
19 Apr 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

What's everyone's opinion on the time of year for the surfing?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Apr 2013 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Secret Agent said...
PTWoody said...
angie pangi said...

X angie

I do know of a house for sale in Palm Beach that could put up around 15-20 people. It is for sale at the moment but I'm sure the owners would kindly hold out for a sale after the titles!

Don't let the SA SUP Crew stay there - guaranteed the house will lose $50K value over the weekend.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
20 Apr 2013 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

ChrisClarke1 said...

Chris the term SUB OPTIMAL sums it up for me!

I work up there for up to 6 months a year and November isnt' the jewel in the crown!

Phill

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
20 Apr 2013 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

ChrisClarke1 said...

Currumbin loves a Nor Easter

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
20 Apr 2013 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

ChrisClarke1 said...

Terrible unfortunately. Should be an excellent comp and stranger things (such as waves) could happen in November.

Is the surfing side mobile?

ChrisClarke1
VIC, 227 posts
20 Apr 2013 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Here's hoping for swell! Mobile, I don't know? Maybe to a time of year there is normally swell!!

In saying that, great spot for the comp and racing, I just wish they could have held it in the swell season, also it's so far away from the state titles.

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
20 Apr 2013 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

ChrisClarke1 said...
Here's hoping for swell! Mobile, I don't know? Maybe to a time of year there is normally swell!!

In saying that, great spot for the comp and racing, I just wish they could have held it in the swell season, also it's so far away from the state titles.

Mobile for waves... heaps of great waves around within 15 minute drive.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
20 Apr 2013 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

ChrisClarke1 said...

also it's so far away from the state titles.

I think one of the reasons for putting it in November is because it is closer to ISA Worlds. Means that you are choosing a team on form closer to actually competition date rather than picking a team 6 months prior.

It is the same for us, our last state round is in July.

PeterP
845 posts
20 Apr 2013 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

I question the wisdom of your racing classes - if the goal is to make SUP accessible to the broader public then why must each rider bring/organise 2x raceboards, endure a 20-30km SUP race and there is no junior division?

Not sure why events have been taking this direction but the average punter would not relate, and although the event is aimed at the best paddlers, surely it would more sensible to make events aspirational so that more people over time would participate.

The problem is, if ISA events have this format, then it trickles down to national championship event level. Then local events will have to emulate this because the logic is that in order to prepare for national and international events then local events have to copy this format as well.

I think its a problem if the aim is growing participation in the sport. Simplify it and make it more accessible, 30km is ridiculous outside standalone speciality events.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
20 Apr 2013 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think this event is about making SUP accessible to the greater public, remember this is THE National Titles. This is where the guys and girls who train hard all year come to test themselves, it is not a social cruise.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
20 Apr 2013 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...
I question the wisdom of your racing classes - if the goal is to make SUP accessible to the broader public then why must each rider bring/organise 2x raceboards, endure a 20-30km SUP race and there is no junior division?

Not sure why events have been taking this direction but the average punter would not relate, and although the event is aimed at the best paddlers, surely it would more sensible to make events aspirational so that more people over time would participate.

The problem is, if ISA events have this format, then it trickles down to national championship event level. Then local events will have to emulate this because the logic is that in order to prepare for national and international events then local events have to copy this format as well.

I think its a problem if the aim is growing participation in the sport. Simplify it and make it more accessible, 30km is ridiculous outside standalone speciality events.

This is the Australian national titles, not a social paddle where everyone's invited. Everyone competing must earn selection through their state championships. It's not about maximum participation. I think you're completely missing the point to this event.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
20 Apr 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...
PeterP said...

This is the Australian national titles, not a social paddle where everyone's invited. Everyone competing must earn selection through their state championships. It's not about maximum participation. I think you're completely missing the point to this event.

a very tough distance race on 12'6s - no doubt about it.

the guys and girls who do this are amazing.

the time of year isn't usually the best, but a year back we dw ed ourselves silly right through november and december so you never know

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
20 Apr 2013 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

a very tough distance race on 12'6s - no doubt about it.

the guys and girls who do this are amazing.

the time of year isn't usually the best, but a year back we dw ed ourselves silly right through november and december so you never know

If it's a downwinder, you have the only 12'6" board I'd even consider attempting the race. I dare say, if the wind direction isn't co-operative, the creek will get a work out for the marathon.

PeterP
845 posts
20 Apr 2013 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...
I don't think this event is about making SUP accessible to the greater public, remember this is THE National Titles. This is where the guys and girls who train hard all year come to test themselves, it is not a social cruise.

I get the point perfectly - it's the trickle down effect to feeder events on a local level that I'm concerned about.

Your nationals are a feeder to ISA worlds - hence the format because you want your riders to be exposed to the same kind of format before they go.

We're having the debate here where our local feeder events also feel they have to run excessively long races (which maybe two guys will admit to enjoying) and they feel we should be doing it all on 12'6's which just does my head in....when everyone is on 14's as it is - at least around here.

Anyways - it affects us here indirectly because our organisers look to what is happening in bigger markets and feel that we should copy those trends - I feel the trend is wrong and hence the comments.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...
surf4fun said...

I get the point perfectly - it's the trickle down effect to feeder events on a local level that I'm concerned about.

Your nationals are a feeder to ISA worlds - hence the format because you want your riders to be exposed to the same kind of format before they go.

We're having the debate here where our local feeder events also feel they have to run excessively long races (which maybe two guys will admit to enjoying) and they feel we should be doing it all on 12'6's which just does my head in....when everyone is on 14's as it is - at least around here.

Anyways - it affects us here indirectly because our organisers look to what is happening in bigger markets and feel that we should copy those trends - I feel the trend is wrong and hence the comments.

I totally agree with you Peter the distances and board restrictions are already significantly effecting the numbers competing in club events here in Victoria and this trend is forcing a rethink for next year.

There are only 2 - 3 juniors left competing here in total due to the distances.

Dont make the same mistake we did.

Stick to your guns

Phill

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...
surf4fun said...

You do have a valid point, although I doubt most people on this forum actually understand it hence the negative response. I would love a standardized length but the issue arises from bop race format which requires a 12'6. I blame manufacturer's wanting to make a buck (like the iphone industry) instead of taking the lead and defining the sport.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...
PeterP said...
surf4fun said...

I totally agree with you Peter the distances and board restrictions are already significantly effecting the numbers competing in club events here in Victoria and this trend is forcing a rethink for next year.

There are only 2 - 3 juniors left competing here in total due to the distances.

Dont make the same mistake we did.

Stick to your guns

Phill

its a trend i'm not fussed on either. i reckon there are only a handful of paddlers that can do that distance on a 12'6 well. the nationals fair enough.

our state titles i think they are going the wrong way.

14 should be the distance main class . those handful of guys can easily 'cope' with going back to 12'6s when required.

i just don't get the whole setup is for one guy going to peru with jamie and the growth factor is not considered to be that important from my way of seeing things.

dw ing 12'6s is hard hard hard even if your reasonably good. learning to dw is better done on a 14' board.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Important to note there is a 14' Open class and the Over 40s and Over 50s are also 14'. The only people who have to paddle 12'6" are those competing to snag the holiday to Peru.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...
Important to note there is a 14' Open class and the Over 40s and Over 50s are also 14'. The only people who have to paddle 12'6" are those competing to snag the holiday to Peru.

Self funded holiday isnt it?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
20 Apr 2013 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...
PTWoody said...

Self funded holiday isnt it?

Indeed, that's the word.

PeterP
845 posts
20 Apr 2013 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

You do have a valid point, although I doubt most people on this forum actually understand it hence the negative response. I would love a standardized length but the issue arises from bop race format which requires a 12'6. I blame manufacturer's wanting to make a buck (like the iphone industry) instead of taking the lead and defining the sport.

I don't think you can blame the manufacturers - its the event organisers that are feeding the beast - cancel the 12'6 class at your events and the manufacturers will respond to demand and focus on 14's (and to some extent unlimited).

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Surfing Australia National SUP Titles 2013" started by PTWoody