Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The 2011 Great Melbourne Paddle

Created by Teeps > 9 months ago, 28 Oct 2011
Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
29 Oct 2011 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Stand Up Paddle Victoria (SUPVIC) is proud to welcome STARBOARD as partner and principal sponsor of the 2nd annual GREAT MELBOURNE PADDLE to be run on Victoria's Port Phillip on Sunday 4th December 2011.

/images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif

Having quickly established itself as one of the eagerly anticipated flat water SUP events on the Australian calendar, this year's race will consolidate on the success and the large entry field of the inaugural event. Following on from last year's classic, we anticipate a true battle royale from the cream of local and Victorian paddlers, as well as interstate competitors eying off the crown.

Once again the picturesque Green Point, Brighton Beach will be the setting of the event. Headlining the schedule is the elite 8km Legends Of The Bay race, followed by the 2km Social Paddle. There will also be a Kids' Program featuring a clinic, mini race and other family activities.

The Great Melbourne Paddle this year welcomes Starboard International Team Rider, Annabel Anderson as official ambassador of the event. Annabel is fresh from a successful northern summer season, winning and placing in major international races in Paris, London, Hamburg, Hawaii, California and of course her native New Zealand. Annabel will be competing in the Elite Race at the Great Melbourne Paddle and will also conduct paddle fitness, technique and race craft clinics around Melbourne in the days leading up to the event.

Entry fee for the Great Melbourne Paddle, in either the 8km elite race or the 2km social paddle is $10 for SUP VIC Members and $35 for non-members (to cover non-members insurance). This fee entitles the entrant to participate in all activities (including race, social paddle and board demos) as well as a registration pack including the stylish event t-shirt. Competitors may join SUP VIC pre-race and for $50 join or renew their membership, register for the race, and get the benefits of 12 months of insurance, plus the cool T-shirt and showbag. A reminder - all Sup Vic memberships are due for renewal on December 1, as per our previous notice.

All registered paddlers in the Elite Race and Social Paddle go into the draw to win a STARBOARD Race Board to be drawn on the day. Trophies and prizes will be presented for winners in each race category: Men's and Women's Unlimited, Men's and Women's Under 12'6", Men's and Women's Masters (45 and over), and Junior Boys and Girls (17 and Under). In addition, all entrants go in the draw for a pick from the amazing stash of prizes provided by our sponsors.

Speaking of which, SUP VIC kindly acknowledges the generous support of our major sponsors Highly Tuned Athletes, RPS The Board Store, SUP-HQ, The Zu Boardsports, No Roads Expeditions, Zak Surfboards, SHQ, Investor's Edge Finance, VB and Kaipai Puku. A full list of sponsors and supporters will be released leading up to the event.

So if you fancy yourself as a SUP speedster, or simply want to leave your mates bobbing about in your wake, rock up and put your paddle skills to the challenge. Alternatively, if you like the idea of a fun, social, 2km paddle to enjoy with friends and family, bring them along too, as the day is sure to have something for everyone. With so many other great prizes on the line available both to race winners and random lucky draw participants, you'd be mad not to come along and join in the best, most family-friendly and fun stand up paddle event going around. And who knows, you may just head home with a brand spanking new Starboard under your arm.

Registration opens shortly, so stay tuned. Those who pre-register get first dibs on T-shirt sizes!

For more information, keep an eye on this post for updates, contact gmp@supvic.com or visit www.supvic.com and we'll see you there on December 4th.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
29 Oct 2011 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait.. It's gunna be huge this year.. Great poster.

DJ

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
29 Oct 2011 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

^^Yep.

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
30 Oct 2011 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a look at the design of the T-shirt that each competitor will receive as part of their registration for the Great Melbourne Paddle. I've gone a slight retro feel.

Registration details will be posted soon. I hope everyone is well into training, if you're thinking of the 8km race!

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
30 Oct 2011 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

looking good

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
30 Oct 2011 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Good job Tim.

DJ

rps
VIC, 605 posts
30 Oct 2011 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Great work Tim!

This year's event is poised to showcase Victoria's best paddlers against some international stars.

It's going to be an action-packed weekend of paddling,

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
4 Nov 2011 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Registrations are now open for the 2011 Great Melbourne Paddle.

Those who pre-register get first dibs on T-shirt sizes!

To register online, and secure your preferred T-shirt size, use either of the following links:
www.trybooking.com/book/event?eid=17050&
www.trybooking.com/17050

Entry is $35 for non SUP VIC members or just $10 for Members.

If you are a current SUP VIC member or intend to join or renew on the day, enter the promo code SUPVIC at the checkout page.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
4 Nov 2011 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Teeps said...

Registrations are now open for the 2011 Great Melbourne Paddle.

Those who pre-register get first dibs on T-shirt sizes!

To register online, and secure your preferred T-shirt size, use either of the following links:
www.trybooking.com/book/event?eid=17050&
www.trybooking.com/17050

Entry is $35 for non SUP VIC members or just $10 for Members.

If you are a current SUP VIC member or intend to join or renew on the day, enter the promo code SUPVIC at the checkout page.

Done!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
4 Nov 2011 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

All done.. No probs.. Thanks Tim.

DJ

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

done great job tim, and lots of others

hoagie
VIC, 284 posts
4 Nov 2011 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in.

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
4 Nov 2011 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

me to .... just for the T shirt .... nice work Tim

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Big shout out to PT, bigwaveDave, wooz and Jonathan for their organizing this event. BigwaveDave sorted out the rego, and wait until you see the amazing trophies he has hand crafted once again! Stunning.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Teeps said...

I've gone a slight retro feel (for the T-Shirts).

Understatement!

I like them, and my wife like them too. I'm also very interested in this retro board (lay down paddle - but quite long).

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

See you at The Great Melbourne Paddle.

I'm in, unless something unforeseen happens, or the weather is absolutely atrocious, or if the surf is pumping!

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
5 Nov 2011 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like quite a few crew from the coast are coming up to, looks like a great event.

Phill

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
5 Nov 2011 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

hhhmm another i think i will have to get to :)

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
5 Nov 2011 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

hhhmm another i think i will have to get to :)

Jet* fly quite cheaply... All you need to do is bring your paddle, and organise a board locally.

Rosscoe
VIC, 505 posts
6 Nov 2011 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in. Online entry was easy as.

rps
VIC, 605 posts
15 Nov 2011 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

I caught Ockanui doing some secret training this morning! Thought I'd join him to compare strokes.

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
16 Nov 2011 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Heh Warwick going on the speed at which you left me in your wake, between you , JC and Rupert in the race, the interstate blokes might not get there hands on the trophy, bold prediction I know ......

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
16 Nov 2011 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

All booked! Can't wait to come paddle with you all.

XX angie

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
16 Nov 2011 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Be great Angie having you and Jacko down for the Paddle,
must be time to dust off the old flatwater board,think I've got little over 2 weeks to prepare,
think there might be an event on Sunday around here to checkout.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
16 Nov 2011 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

XX angie

Okay new rule - anyone from QLD has to do 3 laps of the course.

PaiaBB
5 posts
16 Nov 2011 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone want to trade a Maliko contest tee shirt for a Melbourne one? Wish I could spring for a ticket there but I'm already over budget with a trip to Indo this coming spring... to see my son and grandkids.. of course they're stand up surfing now, so I guess I might have to tag along.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
16 Nov 2011 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

PaiaBB said...

Anyone want to trade a Maliko contest tee shirt for a Melbourne one? Wish I could spring for a ticket there but I'm already over budget with a trip to Indo this coming spring... to see my son and grandkids.. of course they're stand up surfing now, so I guess I might have to tag along.

I'll trade one with you Bill.. .. What size do you want.

DJ

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
16 Nov 2011 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

angie pangi said...

XX angie

Okay new rule - anyone from QLD has to do 3 laps of the course.

Nooooo,you mean the dreaded PTWoody handicap system is back for this summer too,
Nobody is spared,

PaiaBB
5 posts
17 Nov 2011 4:03AM
Thumbs Up

DJ... I'm 85 kgs and 6' probably close to your size. I've got every one since 06 (the first) but the 2011 is still in pristine condition. and I also have a paddling tee for this last years race as well with that great material that dries quickly and breathes. Haven't worn it since I prefer a long sleeve for the sun. It's a Quicksilver XL. I'll pm you on the standupzone to give you my address.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
17 Nov 2011 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

PaiaBB said...

DJ... I'm 85 kgs and 6' probably close to your size. I've got every one since 06 (the first) but the 2011 is still in pristine condition. and I also have a paddling tee for this last years race as well with that great material that dries quickly and breathes. Haven't worn it since I prefer a long sleeve for the sun. It's a Quicksilver XL. I'll pm you on the standupzone to give you my address.

Sounds good Bill.

DJ

Session
VIC, 445 posts
18 Nov 2011 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Was an awesome event last year, will be there and ask all the Surfcoast crew to sign up for the race.

Rich

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The 2011 Great Melbourne Paddle" started by Teeps