Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Dec 2014 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Matts up the North shore broke all his boards today haha he said it was big 8 foot pipe mellowed his mood

good on him for having a go

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
25 Dec 2014 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...
Macaha said..
Matts up the North shore broke all his boards today haha he said it was big 8 foot pipe mellowed his mood

good on him for having a go

Agreed..

Me, had some fun waves again this morning.. New board is making me.smile.so.much

Then the calling of the wild came. It's time.for fire,animals and beer

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
25 Dec 2014 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Merry xmas chaps - scored some 1ft ultra clean weak glassy wind swell on the 10 footer. Shared the line up with a bunch of dolphins. Got out just before the hoards arrived. Have a great day.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Dec 2014 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

a few out there, then tried for a stupid backhand close out and got a fin in the back

bit of a claw mark- will be sore tomorrow me thinks

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
25 Dec 2014 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Merry Christmas boys Xmas eve here surfed pops ,small then went to the garage store a really surf shop

thePup
13831 posts
25 Dec 2014 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Scored early , some really nice peaks - but the tap shut quick ...... time to kick back now

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
25 Dec 2014 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice.work pupwana

Lacey I.will.rant on another day about fins. Not mine.today, but I was super lucky

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
25 Dec 2014 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Drove an hr for absolute ****e surf. At least I know I'm in WA

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Dec 2014 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...
Merry Christmas boys Xmas eve here surfed pops ,small then went to the garage store a really surf shop

Have a top chrissy day mac

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
25 Dec 2014 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Macaha said...

Have a top chrissy day mac

thanks mate whats the time back home?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Dec 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...
Right here right now 5.50 pm. Just be for a small paddle out the ck mouth and back to blow out a few cobwebs.

Man my ribs and chest is so sore from short boarding.

Only been on the lb once since you've gone.

Better come back and rescue the sb lbr gc scene thats the sea breeze long board room gold coast scene

Ps pup. Not a single german backpacking chick to be seen. Rare as hens teeth

thePup
13831 posts
25 Dec 2014 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Wasn't a Touro Lacey - resident Ozzie

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Dec 2014 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Still as rare as rocking horse sh1t

thePup
13831 posts
25 Dec 2014 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
Still as rare as rocking horse sh1t

rare shizz is good shizz

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Dec 2014 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Avoid the straight ones and there were some fun waves to be had. Shame the jellyfish and lice have returned

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Got some good ones on the atomizer puffer5 in ordinary conditions.

I here by declare this board a keeper-

For 1 year

Probably I'll wear it out

thePup
13831 posts
26 Dec 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

ah ..... no

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Dec 2014 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

1 year - whatever

Just back from a 3 hr session. 2 on the Nano and 1 on the 10 footer when the tide filled in. Heaven. Nice to get some good waves again. Not sure where everyone was - well there was a bunch of people on one bank - I had one to myself most of the time a few 100 m north. Will be back again when I have re-charged. Water is absolutely delicious !

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Good luck to you ted. Its not going to happen again today unless this change comes through for us.

Winds been in our faces for a few days now

ps ted i reckon if you had a lightweight standard construction board and rode it a lot for a year it would be pretty trashed.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Dec 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yes indeed. 4 oz boards just do not last for me. Thats why I like the FST Firewire construction. My two mals I made are holding up beautifully - sill look like new - glassed them with 6oz. My shorties are still in good shape as well. Last Al Merrick I had looked like a golf ball after 18 mths.

What fins did you run on the Nano LL? I have some Stretch Quads - with a 50/50 foil on the back ones - just wondering if I should give something else ago. A lot of people rave about the AM2s. My thoughts on these fins is that they are super predictable - they do nothing wrong and hold in nicely when its a bit bigger. I just would not trying something a bit looser - so I can slide the tail out a bit more. I have another set but they are just too loose and you end up having to hold back on your turns as you just lose the tail to easily.

These are the fins I have been using the last 18mths or so.

http://futuresfins.com/en-us/stretch-quad-honeycomb-blue-2310-105-40-detail

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Dec 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

fun second surf on a nice shorey we have ,rode the fat quad
ted try the asher pacey quads if you want a bit of slide. they are pretty similar to the slater quads. i have only used my am2 as a thruster

got my midlonger glassed 4oz and surfed it two days after it was done.....it has some nice dents,not big.....but i just could not wait...oh lacey this board is a keeper almost as loose as my shorty, just with a few more benefits. super fast

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said..
Yes indeed. 4 oz boards just do not last for me. Thats why I like the FST Firewire construction. My two mals I made are holding up beautifully - sill look like new - glassed them with 6oz. My shorties are still in good shape as well. Last Al Merrick I had looked like a golf ball after 18 mths.

What fins did you run on the Nano LL? I have some Stretch Quads - with a 50/50 foil on the back ones - just wondering if I should give something else ago. A lot of people rave about the AM2s. My thoughts on these fins is that they are super predictable - they do nothing wrong and hold in nicely when its a bit bigger. I just would not trying something a bit looser - so I can slide the tail out a bit more. I have another set but they are just too loose and you end up having to hold back on your turns as you just lose the tail to easily.

These are the fins I have been using the last 18mths or so.

http://futuresfins.com/en-us/stretch-quad-honeycomb-blue-2310-105-40-detail

you probably wont like what i say. a got a set of 5 fin am2's when i brought with the nano. surfed it as a quad first up. to be honest it felt a bit erratic. when to am2 thruster mode and felt more smoother in the delivery of speed and power.

i using am2 thruster on the p5. i don't find them a big fin and with the width of the tail on the p5 i can side it any time.

ps have not tried the p5 as a quad and probably won't as i'm very happy the way it is

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Dec 2014 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Why would I not like that feedback !

So you are suggesting that I give it a crack as thruster then. I shall see if I can get my hands on some AM2s then and give it a whirl. Have some time off in Feb so will be able to clock some decent ride time then. I really enjoyed the Nano this morning - some really nice speed and some super tight turns. Can not wait to get it in some good quality waves.

Looking at some of Cuttlefish's posts around the traps he has tried just about every fin combo known to mankind !

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Why would I not like that feedback !

So you are suggesting that I give it a crack as thruster then. I shall see if I can get my hands on some AM2s then and give it a whirl. Have some time off in Feb so will be able to clock some decent ride time then. I really enjoyed the Nano this morning - some really nice speed and some super tight turns. Can not wait to get it in some good quality waves.

Looking at some of Cuttlefish's posts around the traps he has tried just about every fin combo known to mankind !

you think the am2 are a holding fin and well i don't find that- thats all. solid yes

i like am2 and i like my fins to be a little bigger than the normal bloke.

remember too im coming of surf sups too but even pre sup i liked a decent mans fin

yes i reckon try the nano thruster style

cheers

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Dec 2014 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

OK I have taken the plunge. Will report back when the wind improves - not sure if I should thank you for your advice just yet or not

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Dec 2014 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

I love my am2 ted,and I'm with lacey as i like a strong fin. They are a more drawn out fin than the upright ones,not in a bad way as i like what they do.

In a quad for.that more slippery feeling and the ability to.turn in small places/adjustments, I like the upright fin.

There a couple of.shredders up.here who have been on the nano,they too are like lacey as the prefer the three fin setup. I don't get how it works with such a wide tail...but i have not surfed a nano,and the crew up here kill em

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

The p5 is a wide tail too and I do thruster.

Ted you'll know whats what I reckon

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Dec 2014 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

is that why you like a bigger fin it? only asking as you surf the same fins as me ,and you are a light weight compared to me. i surf s9 in my fat quad with tiny tow in fins as trailers and love it,the board has a really wide tail.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Dec 2014 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said...
laceys lane said..

is that why you like a bigger fin it? only asking as you surf the same fins as me ,and you are a light weight compared to me. i surf s9 in my fat quad with tiny tow in fins as trailers and love it,the board has a really wide tail.

Nar even on a narrower board like a bigger fin.

Wombat I had s9s and gls as a quad setup.

A little know fact is most really good surfers use bigger fins.

Richo was telling me on time even taj uses bigger fins.

Kelly would be a known exception. I had a couple of sets of his fins over the years but only worked on few boards for me.
I found them too small generally

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
26 Dec 2014 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

I always go with the Nick Carroll approach re fin size - big tail area = big fin. Small tail area = small fin. I am a firm believer in that. When people talk about the size of a fin relative to the weight of a rider I tend too just have a chuckle inside. Bigger blokes should have bigger tail area anyway on a like for like board with a smaller / lighter person - so really the reason for the bigger fin is not the weight but the tail area. Just my 2 cents

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo