Forums > Surfing Longboarding

board/boards of the year for next year

Created by laceys lane > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2014
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

hey ted surffx have a couple of those starby fishie shortboards.

its mind blowing how light they are

Cobra
9106 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

pimp alert pimp alert

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said..

laceys lane said..

pimp alert pimp alert

not really. its just I've never seen them except at SURFFX hey

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Cobra said..

laceys lane said..

pimp alert pimp alert

not really. its just I've never seen them except at SURFFX hey

i saw the proto one there over a year ago and john was already trying to sell it it to me....they were bull**** light but the shapes were a bit so and so. and for the price i would i would rather a few boards from josh dowling or from del

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

chrispy said..

wavelength said..
Well, if i wasn't old, unfit, fat, lazy and untalented I'd be on a shortboard in a flash.

I've never let a lack of talent stop me

it does not stop any of us

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Jan 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

I saw one in the action on boxing day - seemed to go ok - but not sure I saw too much value in the premium that people are expected to pay for them

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

I would pay either. would rather grab a few boards

Cobra
9106 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Lacey no wonder you and mac are mates and so much alike.

you both wait 4 pages before revealing the true reason for the thread….

we are a wake up mate

thePup
13831 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Board Harlot

wavelength
1195 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

laceys lane said..

chrispy said..

wavelength said..
Well, if i wasn't old, unfit, fat, lazy and untalented I'd be on a shortboard in a flash.

Well, I have an old 6'6 under the house just in case a 2015 miracle occurs....

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said..

laceys lane said..

we are a wake up mate

sorry that ones gone way over my head and straight to the keeper. the keeper happens to be pup

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wavelength said..

chrispy said..

laceys lane said..

chrispy said..

wavelength said..

cool

Cobra
9106 posts
3 Jan 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wavelength said..

chrispy said..

laceys lane said..

chrispy said..

wavelength said..

i did the same mate,but sadly it just sat there
hope you get to use it

wavelength
1195 posts
3 Jan 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said..

wavelength said..

chrispy said..

laceys lane said..

chrispy said..

wavelength said..

i did the same mate,but sadly it just sat there
hope you get to use it

Bought it secondhand a few months ago, Cobra ...and I posted it back on Gumtree once already but then all the same kind of numbats who annoyed Chrispy on Ebay turned their attention to me, so I pulled it. They are not worthy. I have a 9'1 Evo II and an 8'1 Carver (and a mid-length that i won't mention here ) to keep me enthused in the meantime.

thePup
13831 posts
3 Jan 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Cobra said..

laceys lane said..

we are a wake up mate

sorry that ones gone way over my head and straight to the keeper. the keeper happens to be pup

Pinocchios Lane

MickPC
8266 posts
4 Jan 2015 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
MickPC said..

That volume & width is gonna make for a steep learning curve. But Rose is pretty fit, so persistence should pay off....there's no way it'll work for you mate unless you ditch the paddle...it wouldn't work for me either

Yes indeed but she goes ok after spending 5yrs plus on a 666 already. She went for a few paddles today and fell in a lot but she should be right in a few weeks - hopefully. I think its a step too far to be honest but lets see how she goes over the next few weeks. We have a bit of time up our sleeves before we leave so if it is to much for her - we can swap it - it will be a great board at a great price and a piece of cake to travel with if it works out.

Its absolutely incredible how light it is. Makes life a lot easier for her - from grabbing it from the shed to putting in the car - yep she fits straight in - so that in itsself will make loads of difference.

Lets just say that all the girls today were extremely jealous of it due to its weight etc. A few of them had a paddle and went ok on it.

I might take it for a surf one day - looks like a lovely shape ! ! ! ! ! It might be my new step up

Didn't know she had 4 years more experience than me, she should be fine then...personally I wouldn't go less than 8'7, just for more glide in small waves. They do make em light these days. A friend has a couple of Jimmy Lewis boards that are a little less & a little more than 9'0 which only weigh a few kg's. I'm trading my boat in for one as soon as it dries out & I repair the fin box. They're great for the 0.5 foot days

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
4 Jan 2015 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yes but you have 25 plus years of surfing behind you - she was starting from scratch ! Big learning curve ahead for Rose - lets see how she goes ! She never goes out in anything bigger than about should high. This board should make life a lot easier - but also a lot harder

wavelength
1195 posts
4 Jan 2015 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Cobra said..

laceys lane said..

Ps mate- what is a h board?

A stringerless Hohensee kneeboard just popped up on Gumtree... check the fin out...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maroochydore/surfing/vintage-hohensee-kneeboard-surfboard/1066444517

the fin shot comes up bigger if you click on the link...

McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
4 Jan 2015 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Thinking 7.3 to 7.6 eggy type shape. Do you guys think it will be good for beachies??

Thinking kind of a mct sumo type board.

Any other suggestions?

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
4 Jan 2015 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McHenry said...
Thinking 7.3 to 7.6 eggy type shape. Do you guys think it will be good for beachies??

Any other suggestions?

I bought a similar shape as the Sumo for East Coast beachies. Mine was 6'10" but it is fantastic. I have surfed it in knee high beachies up to triple head high reefs. It's versatility has amazed me. The fat nose paddles so well and the pintail turns surprisingly well. It was my first longboard shape - while acknowledging a 6'10" is a short mid-length.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

My new 5'10 x 22 x 2 3/4 single fin that about to be sent to the glasser

6'2 x 19 Vanguard style board with a swallow tail...deeper concave's and lower volume rails for bigger stuff

6'2 x 20 Vangaurd style board with less concave and boxy rails for the smaller stuff

...then if that gets all finished it will time to order up some gun blanks and a blank for a log

McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

McHenry said...

Any other suggestions?

I bought a similar shape as the Sumo for East Coast beachies. Mine was 6'10" but it is fantastic. I have surfed it in knee high beachies up to triple head high reefs. It's versatility has amazed me. The fat nose paddles so well and the pintail turns surprisingly well. It was my first longboard shape - while acknowledging a 6'10" is a short mid-length.

Yeah it seems like its kind of what I want. Either McT Sumo, Tak Scorpion, those type of boards.

SP
10979 posts
5 Jan 2015 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McHenry said...
thedrip said..

McHenry said...

Any other suggestions?

Yeah it seems like its kind of what I want. Either McT Sumo, Tak Scorpion, those type of boards.

I went for a grovel the other day, surf was small fat and weak and a bloke on a 7ftish Tak out paddled me, out surfed me and looked like he was having a bucket load more fun then me in the sumo (6'8)

Having said that IMO the scorp and suno are 2 different boards the Tak is a shrunken lb good up to head highish I'd guess. Wider nose then the sumo and more of a cut down mal type board where the sumo looks to have bit more range. Sumo seemed more pulled in in the tail and not as wide overall.
For me the sumo is an all rounder type board and the sumo is a bit of a small wave fun board.

Id own either of them.

McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..

McHenry said...

thedrip said..

McHenry said...

Any other suggestions?

I went for a grovel the other day, surf was small fat and weak and a bloke on a 7ftish Tak out paddled me, out surfed me and looked like he was having a bucket load more fun then me in the sumo (6'8)

Having said that IMO the scorp and suno are 2 different boards the Tak is a shrunken lb good up to head highish I'd guess. Wider nose then the sumo and more of a cut down mal type board where the sumo looks to have bit more range. Sumo seemed more pulled in in the tail and not as wide overall.
For me the sumo is an all rounder type board and the sumo is a bit of a small wave fun board.

Id own either of them.

Thanks SP, that's the feedback I was looking for. Was leaning more towards a Sumo shape as when the surf is small I will use the whalebone. Looking for something that has the volume I need to get into waves but to take out when it is 3ft or bigger. That other 7ft board I bought from the local shaper didn't have enough volume as I am a horrible paddler and my paddle fitness is low as I don't get to go too much.

MickPC
8266 posts
5 Jan 2015 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Yes but you have 25 plus years of surfing behind you - she was starting from scratch ! Big learning curve ahead for Rose - lets see how she goes ! She never goes out in anything bigger than about should high. This board should make life a lot easier - but also a lot harder

oOps I just bought the next size up, 8'5 x 29 Starboard Pro...I had a great offer on the boat & this board was on sale. Basically $200 trade

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
5 Jan 2015 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

only need 2 longboards 1xhp 1x 10fter

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
5 Jan 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
asea said..
only need 2 of Macs longboards this year 1xhp 1x 10fter

Fixed it for ya

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
5 Jan 2015 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

oOps I just bought the next size up, 8'5 x 29 Starboard Pro...I had a great offer on the boat & this board was on sale. Basically $200 trade

Wicked - did you go the full carbon option? How light are they? Stupid. Good luck on it - no more chair surfing though

thePup
13831 posts
5 Jan 2015 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
asea said..
only need 2 longboards 1xhp 1x 10fter

How many you got stashed away in the shed Prez

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
5 Jan 2015 8:51PM
Thumbs Up