Weekend

Someone's got his froth on already.

Need surf bad

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
10 Feb 2017 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Weekend looking more like
Unfortunately, reports were correct, but gave themselves some manoeuvre room, 1-15ft possible!!!!

god damn it Huey, we were starting to get an understanding going.....then again it is February

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
12 Feb 2017 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Took a punt when swell and period came up-Huey is back on my ChrissieCard list

Dunno why they are sideways but these are from when I got out of the water, tide up and wind cross off- was FROTHING too much to take photos pre surf. Head & 1/2 sets fast and hollow crowd factor Noice

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
12 Feb 2017 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Well done!

agnak
311 posts
13 Feb 2017 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

mousetrap
WA, 64 posts
13 Feb 2017 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
18 Feb 2017 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

LBB was worth the drive - although the 25-30kt Easterly was doing it's best to destroy the surf. I went up for the shift change at 9:30am and it was white-capping badly. Plenty of crew chasing lots of close-outs. I sat on the hill for 45min watching, hoping that the wind would back off. Hit the water at 10:15am and got a few off the end of a rip at the North end. Moved back south and got a few more... mostly lefts... chest to occasional head high. Spent nearly 2.5hrs out there and came home with a handful of waves I was happy with. Overall 5.5/10, but I am happy to have finally got some decent waves.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
20 Feb 2017 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

I just managed to surf 7 times in a week. 5 of those with my son, so grateful

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
20 Feb 2017 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
LBB was worth the drive - although the 25-30kt Easterly was doing it's best to destroy the surf. I went up for the shift change at 9:30am and it was white-capping badly. Plenty of crew chasing lots of close-outs. I sat on the hill for 45min watching, hoping that the wind would back off. Hit the water at 10:15am and got a few off the end of a rip at the North end. Moved back south and got a few more... mostly lefts... chest to occasional head high. Spent nearly 2.5hrs out there and came home with a handful of waves I was happy with. Overall 5.5/10, but I am happy to have finally got some decent waves.

I knew it would be good, dam it

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
20 Feb 2017 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

GPA said..

Steady on. He rated 5.5! Not worthy of your damnation. You'd get better and more rides right now along my favourite windswept stretch. Sheeeeeet, you've probably got it feeding live and you're procrastinating, doubting yourself and leaving it too late.... too... late... Here come the platoons of groms and early-knock-off-tradies.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
22 Feb 2017 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Buster fin said..

DARTH said..

GPA said..

Steady on. He rated 5.5! Not worthy of your damnation. You'd get better and more rides right now along my favourite windswept stretch. Sheeeeeet, you've probably got it feeding live and you're procrastinating, doubting yourself and leaving it too late.... too... late... Here come the platoons of groms and early-knock-off-tradies.

GPA is a hard marker, looks ok for Sat

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
22 Feb 2017 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Realistic seems more accurate, but yes, please Huey, bring it on for the weekend at least!

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
22 Feb 2017 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Buster fin said..
Realistic seems more accurate, but yes, please Huey, bring it on for the weekend at least!

I guess that depends on the individual

Razzonater
2224 posts
23 Feb 2017 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Today so so not good not terrible. There may have been better waves elsewhere, tomorrow looks promising as does saturday

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
23 Feb 2017 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..
Today so so not good not terrible. There may have been better waves elsewhere, tomorrow looks promising as does saturday

Saturday

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
25 Feb 2017 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
25 Feb 2017 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Worth the drive, huh?

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
25 Feb 2017 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Must have been North, North, as LBB was ordinary. Once again the 25kt NE winds were doing their best to destroy the surf. Shoulder high avg, but hard work with the strong gusty winds. 2+3/4hrs and I only got 2 or 3 waves that were 'OK'... lots of short rides - either the wave would close-out or fade away. Saw one guy get a cracker of a wave, but overall 4.5/10.

Buster fin
WA, 2577 posts
25 Feb 2017 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe you're not such a hard marker after all GPA. Let's try to remember what 10/10 looks like.

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
25 Feb 2017 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

10/10?... Hmm, well about 10yrs ago I scored a LBB LAGO after having a post surf BBQ lunch with the kids in the park... me and the family and one other lady who was body surfing. Surfed perfect shoulder high glass A-frames until 6:00pm... never seen it like that since, although have had a few days I'd rate in the high 8's to a 9 - but not for a long while.

agnak
311 posts
26 Feb 2017 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
26 Feb 2017 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Had fun waves north of Lano yesterday, crowd factor not too bad. Water temp was amazing and the waves were fun with good banks and offshore the entire time. Classic summer surf.

On a separate note I was surfing a recently bought 6'6 egg single fin. Noticed it just didn't paddle that well into waves, getting around it paddled well but didn't quite get the job done when trying to drop in. I put this down to human error on my behalf.

Later in the session I swapped with a mate who is a better surfer than I am, he noted the same thing, said it just bogged down at the last bit before the drop.

Not sure what may cause this from a design point of view but know that I have boards that do the opposite in the past, they shoot you into the wave with ease. The best board I noticed for this was the Firewire Dominator, the one I was using was a mates 6'2, couldn't believe how well it paddled and really gave you every chance of getting in early.

Anyone else had boards that do this?

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
26 Feb 2017 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

the SUp crowd rate boards on "glide" as well as other things

i had a firewire tomo vanguard - no glide at all, given old age 2 x arthritic shoulders and the rest couldnt catch a wave on it
volume wasn't the issue, just didnt seem to go forward with paddling
i have a kite board tomo and it rips but for me no good if can't catch the waves

moved to a bit more length and width for the glide factor and life in the surf a bit easier

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
26 Feb 2017 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hull entry instead of concave in the nose?

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
27 Feb 2017 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..
Must have been North, North, as LBB was ordinary. Once again the 25kt NE winds were doing their best to destroy the surf. Shoulder high avg, but hard work with the strong gusty winds. 2+3/4hrs and I only got 2 or 3 waves that were 'OK'... lots of short rides - either the wave would close-out or fade away. Saw one guy get a cracker of a wave, but overall 4.5/10.

Didnt see ya, wasn't bad was worth the drive I recon

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
27 Feb 2017 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Souwester said..
Had fun waves north of Lano yesterday, crowd factor not too bad. Water temp was amazing and the waves were fun with good banks and offshore the entire time. Classic summer surf.

On a separate note I was surfing a recently bought 6'6 egg single fin. Noticed it just didn't paddle that well into waves, getting around it paddled well but didn't quite get the job done when trying to drop in. I put this down to human error on my behalf.

Later in the session I swapped with a mate who is a better surfer than I am, he noted the same thing, said it just bogged down at the last bit before the drop.

Not sure what may cause this from a design point of view but know that I have boards that do the opposite in the past, they shoot you into the wave with ease. The best board I noticed for this was the Firewire Dominator, the one I was using was a mates 6'2, couldn't believe how well it paddled and really gave you every chance of getting in early.

Anyone else had boards that do this?

Wide nosed boards can be a bugger to catch waves into a strong offshore also..

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
27 Feb 2017 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

GPA said..

Yeah - I thought you'd be there also and kept an eye out... Worth the drive, but not worth talking about... I was just on the North side of the main path, looking for the odd right hander. I was on my blue & green 7'6" Modern Lovechild.

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
27 Feb 2017 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

Whats the deal with a hull Smicko?

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
28 Feb 2017 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

DARTH said..

GPA said..

Yeah - I thought you'd be there also and kept an eye out... Worth the drive, but not worth talking about... I was just on the North side of the main path, looking for the odd right hander. I was on my blue & green 7'6" Modern Lovechild.

I was down on the south side not far tho.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
28 Feb 2017 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Souwester said..

smicko said..

Whats the deal with a hull Smicko?

Vee or hull shape in teh 1st third of the board (Think boat hull) will help paddle power and glide into waves where as concave generally has the opposite effect...

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie