Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Wizard 2021

Created by Martiin > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2020
AlexF
493 posts
16 Sep 2020 4:09AM
Thumbs Up

I just wonder if the foil tracks aren't too far back for winging on the Wizard 114. On winging boards they're usually 10 - 20 cm more forward.
So is it a compromise for winging or does it don't matter at all?

Windbot
484 posts
16 Sep 2020 4:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

Martiin said..
This video just up from Slingshot/Wyatt.

"Tuttle - an 1985 technology" says the guy espousing US-box tracks from the 1970s.

Yes, tracks have their advantages but the marketing BS could be toned down.

LOL, yup I guess my old Tuttle Wizard is hot trash now, yuck! What was I thinking buying a windfoil board with a Tuttle box! FWIW it wingfoils just fine with the box way back there. :-)

Windbot
484 posts
16 Sep 2020 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

Martiin said..
This video just up from Slingshot/Wyatt.

"Tuttle - an 1985 technology" says the guy espousing US-box tracks from the 1970s.

Yes, tracks have their advantages but the marketing BS could be toned down.

LOL, yup I guess my old Tuttle Wizard is hot trash now, yuck! What was I thinking buying a windfoil board with a Tuttle box!

Samkyo
85 posts
16 Sep 2020 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

Any idea of the wizard 90L wind range for a 74kg rider?

michaelpaf
92 posts
16 Sep 2020 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boardsurfr said..

michaelpaf said..
Compared the 2019th and 2020 Wizard. THe 2019 is quite totally flat in the bottom.
The 2020 has deep double concave.
The 2019 sticks on the water and doesn't want to glide.
The 2020 is getting much more speed and gliding phase. Feels much looser on the feet and starting then flying earlier. Easier to pump better to controll on touch downs.I gues this effect will be archived also with the cut outs. But this only basing on the expereince with the comparsion of this two boards.

So you had a chance to try the 2020 Wizard? Or is this based on what others said?

Anyway, this points to interesting differences between the optimal underwater shape for windsurfing and foiling. In windsurfing, too much underwater structure (double concave or similar) increases surface area and friction. Hence the flat rear bottoms of slalom and speed boards. But for foiling, the board needs to unstick from the water. That's actually harder with a very flat bottom shape. Wing boards, with almost kayak-like rails and often deep concaves, are an example. The shape reminds me a bit more of D2 boards than of planing windsurf boards.

Yes I flight first the 2019 for round 50 session then the 2020 for round 20 sessions.
The basic form is identical, but the underwater shape is completely different with a deep double concave.
This helped extremely to get the board free from the water. I can not say sure if this helps to get it flying a half or one knot earlier. But it feels sometimes so.

michaelpaf
92 posts
16 Sep 2020 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Samkyo said..

Freind of me has 65 and bougth the 87. For marginal wind conditions it's flying lot later then the 105.
But at more winds >15 knots it was fine for him. I'll ask him what windrange he meands.

segler
WA, 1621 posts
16 Sep 2020 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, and MOST of the up force on the tuttle finbox is at the front. If you mount the foil into the finbox without completely tightening the screws, and foil with it and come back in, you will see that the FRONT screw is looser than the back screw. This is the cantilevering force caused by the lifting wing being forward of the foil mast and finbox.

This is why I keep saying that the tuttle system requires COMPLETE seating of the foil tapers into the finbox tapers, since it is those tapers that carry the cantilevering forces.

So, now if they have designed and constructed the twin tracks system correctly, the structure under the tracks should do a good job of carrying those cantilevering forces.

CoreAS
888 posts
17 Sep 2020 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Samkyo said..

Select to expand quote
Samkyo said..

PatK
299 posts
17 Sep 2020 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

Commercials. Sorry facebook link
m.facebook.com/289590068136429/posts/1020750431687052/

dejavu
821 posts
26 Sep 2020 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling