Created by cammd > 9 months ago, 13 May 2019
azuli
QLD, 347 posts
15 Nov 2019 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jusavina said..

azuli said..
Conversion of above package price to AUD, incl. VAT would be about $15,500. (not incl import, freight, etc).

This pricing also differs from what they had in their iFoil proposal to WS, that had a discounted package incl. travel bags for 6599 Euro ex VAT.

A quick look at the current RRP prices in AUS retail websites for a roughly equivalent new SB/Serverne "foil package" consisting of 2020 SB Carbon board, foil, HG2 9.0, and full carbon spars would cost $11,500 AUD inc GST (before any package discount).

Does that mean one could be paying a $4-5K premium to race an iFoil package instead of buying alternate new SB/Severne "foil package"?

That is the retail price through a shop: 8,000 Euros or about AUS$ 13,000.The price when ordered through clubs and federation is 6,800 Euros or about AUS$ 11,000.All those price are before GST so $14,300 through a shop and $12,100 through a club. Same price as the RS:X for a gear that you can actually resale.By the way, I'm selling an RS:X rig and a fin if someone is interested... (be quick before I contact the maritime museum).

What are the benefits for a club racer (no Olympic aspirations) to pay the premium for iFoil package compared to the equivalent race foil kit that is available?

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

It will be interesting to see what people actually end up paying because basically no one pays actual RRP for gear....but maybe the cost controls will be strict on it.

Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..

RichardG said..

I am excited about the Olympic iFoil but not the pricing. You would think they could offer these items much cheaper.... they will be last years , obsolete gear in a year from now when they become available in WA for example... Olympic iFoil might cost more than the 2021 top of the line open foiling gear. 433 Euro (exc of VAT) for a fin...ridiculous, take the gear without the fin for example. I don't see the incentive for local open foiling owners to move over to one design. One design is better for weekend club racing however but at these prices it won't be. Its elitist and disappointing. Not as inspiring nor as simple nor affordable as the advertising makes out. What is the Australian pricing ? It would appear the same mistakes will be made to ensure this new class is as rare and as scarce as the RSX. Nothing is learned and history is repeated.

How does the open manufacturing arrangement work, will other manufacturers have to pay a license fee or royalties or some other fee to allow them to build the Olympic gear. I see Zulu are making a race foil for 900 Euro, thats more or less compatible with the starboard gear, if they decided to make a one design Olympic foil would they be able to keep the cost low or would it increase due to some sort of fees.

700 euros plus 150 shipping. I'm hopefully going in my first race at RQ tomorrow on it.

cammd
QLD, 3760 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mitch Pearson said..

cammd said..

RichardG said..

I am excited about the Olympic iFoil but not the pricing. You would think they could offer these items much cheaper.... they will be last years , obsolete gear in a year from now when they become available in WA for example... Olympic iFoil might cost more than the 2021 top of the line open foiling gear. 433 Euro (exc of VAT) for a fin...ridiculous, take the gear without the fin for example. I don't see the incentive for local open foiling owners to move over to one design. One design is better for weekend club racing however but at these prices it won't be. Its elitist and disappointing. Not as inspiring nor as simple nor affordable as the advertising makes out. What is the Australian pricing ? It would appear the same mistakes will be made to ensure this new class is as rare and as scarce as the RSX. Nothing is learned and history is repeated.

How does the open manufacturing arrangement work, will other manufacturers have to pay a license fee or royalties or some other fee to allow them to build the Olympic gear. I see Zulu are making a race foil for 900 Euro, thats more or less compatible with the starboard gear, if they decided to make a one design Olympic foil would they be able to keep the cost low or would it increase due to some sort of fees.

700 euros plus 150 shipping. I'm hopefully going in my first race at RQ tomorrow on it.

Awesome see you there, keen to see the new foil as well

That Zulu foil coupled with a old formula board and slalom sails looks like a realistic pathway from techno to foil without needing to sell the house.

I just bought a s/h foil this week so my sons are frothing to get on it this weekend, my thoughts prior to seeing the Zulu was no way can I afford to kit them out with race foils but the Zulu makes that seem possible.

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
15 Nov 2019 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 814 said..What you expect Starboard and Severne just to give them away ?.

RichardG said..

What you expect Starboard and Severne just to give them away ?.

No I don't but I fail to see why someone would buy an expensive one design iFoil over another open foiling package which is much cheaper. Mitch Pearson's example above is a case in point. Have I missed something ? It seems to me, reflecting on this that the simple, affordable and accessible one design foil package for weekend club racing is still to be developed and there remains an opportunity there for a clever innovative manufacturer. It might be that the Starboard iFoil package might be that one but it would need to have a price decrease.

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
15 Nov 2019 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..How does the open manufacturing arrangement work, will other manufacturers have to pay a license fee or royalties or some other fee to allow them to build the Olympic gear. I see Zulu are making a race foil for 900 Euro, thats more or less compatible with the starboard gear, if they decided to make a one design Olympic foil would they be able to keep the cost low or would it increase due to some sort of fees.

RichardG said..

I don't know, that is a question for Starboard, I am personally not sure how this would work. Did World Sailing fully comprehend this and interrogate on it, is a question. I think foiling will be good for the Olympics , it won't be hard to improve on the RSX, but like the RSX, iFoil doesn't (without price reductions) translate into affordable sailing for weekend racers. The IMCO was quite different and much better priced. For the LT, my understanding is that the cost is the same as all are made at Cobra for the board and the other OEM suppliers (sails, spars, boom etc.) whether it is the co-branded distribution of Naish, Windsurfer, Exocet, i-99, Starboard, Mistral or now rumoured Severne (?) etc. Consumers are buying the LT and it is becoming the racing board of choice and the "brand" manufacturers realise its merit. I am not suggesting it be the Olympic board either.The Laser dinghy and the IMCO became popular, initially, without Olympic status and that is the best way to bring about a sustainable class not picking winners and monopolies by World Sailing.

www.windsurferclass.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2019/02/iiwca-rtp24.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0gOqC9WU-WE3ujKVSmuK51UQvccKghvDgKFbkpKdN4bbOTWl199UuSSfQ

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
15 Nov 2019 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

It is not cheap to manufacture an Olympic one design setup. The IOC has to make to profit to pay for all their lunches.
i believe there are large up front payments designed to cover the costs of the Olympic committee doing random quality control checks thru out the year. Plus they charge another small percentage on all equipment sold. Then the manufacturers have to supply a lot of free equipment to some of the major events. all overheads normal equipment does not have. the good thing with the ifoil is it similar enough to compete with existing formula/foil racing. So I would hope there will more combined fleets. Then if you think you are good enough on formula/foil gear it would be an easy transition to Ifoil.

Chris 249
NSW, 3333 posts
15 Nov 2019 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

The IOC GIVES money to sailing - about 15 million Euros, I think. The IOC does NOT make a profit from sailing so we are not paying their lunches. We are getting the benefit of being a tiny sport that manages to get into the world's biggest event.

You're right that some Olympic classes often supply gear. It's not always the case - even Lasers have failed to supply gear for some world championships. Other Olympic classes don't supply gear and other manufacturers seem to get by with charging 200 Euros or so and then selling off the charter gear cheaply.

If the ifoil is good enough to compete now that's one thing, but will it be good enough in seven years time? And who is going to get on an ifoil and try to compete with the Olympians?

The most popular Olympic class, the Laser, just had its state champs in our biggest state. You know how many sailors in the Olympic age bracket turned up in the Laser Standard, the men's most popular Olympic class? None. Yep, none. That says a lot about how many people move to Olympic classes, how popular they are, and how well Olympians fit in with normal racing.

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
16 Nov 2019 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

World sailing tax on Olympic equipment???

MatStirl
TAS, 136 posts
17 Nov 2019 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
The IOC GIVES money to sailing - about 15 million Euros, I think. The IOC does NOT make a profit from sailing so we are not paying their lunches. We are getting the benefit of being a tiny sport that manages to get into the world's biggest event.

You're right that some Olympic classes often supply gear. It's not always the case - even Lasers have failed to supply gear for some world championships. Other Olympic classes don't supply gear and other manufacturers seem to get by with charging 200 Euros or so and then selling off the charter gear cheaply.

If the ifoil is good enough to compete now that's one thing, but will it be good enough in seven years time? And who is going to get on an ifoil and try to compete with the Olympians?

The most popular Olympic class, the Laser, just had its state champs in our biggest state. You know how many sailors in the Olympic age bracket turned up in the Laser Standard, the men's most popular Olympic class? None. Yep, none. That says a lot about how many people move to Olympic classes, how popular they are, and how well Olympians fit in with normal racing.

Having no youngsters sailing the Laser might also be a reflection of poor administration/promotion of sailing, limited numbers spread across too many classes and our (sailing and windsurfing) interest in the latest and greatest classes or gear. I'd love to see all fringe and outdated racing classes dropped to build fleets for what's left.

Not saying they do things any better here but Hobart only has 1/20th the population of Sydney but there are kids racing Lasers - not that many mind you. Hobarts population having a mainly European background and having a view of the Derwent River probably helps.

To the average punter windsurfing/sailing is already a fringe and complicated sport. Nothing against foiling and it looks good but I wonder if the choice of Olympic foiling will prove a bad one in terms of building the sport.

I'm considering buying a Bic Techno for my kids. I liked the board because it's versatile, all parts available from a good website, clearly the biggest youth board and pathway to the Olympics. Now even Bic have foil options which will draw numbers away from the Techno. The foil alone is $2600.

Keep it simple and cheapish.
Perhaps that's why the LT is selling so well.

Chris 249
NSW, 3333 posts
17 Nov 2019 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DarrylG said..
World sailing tax on Olympic equipment???

World Sailing is NOT the IOC. They are completely different bodies. The IOC pays World Sailing. The IOC are not earning their lunches from sailors; they are getting their lunch money mainly from American broadcaster rights etc

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2024 Olympics" started by cammd