Forums > Windsurfing General

Division 2 board

Created by saltyheaven > 9 months ago, 28 Sep 2015
Can10
173 posts
23 Feb 2016 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

Here we go! Thanks Dennis ! :)

So, how you guys can regroup and coordinate to make this happening ? Who takes the Lead ?

Again I'll work at adding D2 to Brisbane if we can guarantee a minimum of sailors
(let's say 5 is a minimum of minimum...10 participants would be great - Let's set the bar between 5-10 then)

You can do it! It is absolutely achievable!

We have 2 Facebook specific platforms where you can further advertise, communicate
Browse members, locate them, contact them...regroup.

www.facebook.com/groups/internationalopendivision2/
and
www.facebook.com/groups/OpenDiv2/

Let me know if I can be of any other help at this point.

All good ideas to expedite process are welcome

Cheers

Éric

Can10
173 posts
23 Feb 2016 3:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Clarence,

Beware of not inserting a mast track that is too long (Rsx or ...).
Dagger boxes on Mistral M1 are not as rear as they are on A390 so you don't need that long.

I believe you could use a mast track from Browning that should work and be adapted to that board.

Ask Aymeric on AA FB page...He has made several M1 copies and sailed many of them in every weather conditions. He knows the structure perfectly.

This is old sandwich epoxy, initially not built to mast track but fixed mast foot. Make sure it is strong enough to support it.

Éric

fjdoug
ACT, 548 posts
23 Feb 2016 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

i'm not sure there will be as much benefit with a track on a M1 as there is with the newer boards.
on the lechner you can bring the track back and angle the board over onto the flatter section of the stern and reach like a funboard using the footstraps.
25yrs ago i put a fleetwood track in a crit D2, we put it at an angle so that it ran slightly diagonal putting the mast foot near the CB pivot when slid back.
Doug.

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
23 Feb 2016 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

I thought that a shorter mast track was probably sufficient.

I did find that with the sail I was using the other day (Cheetah 8.0) the CE had to be put way forward on the upwind legs to keep the board from rounding up. Obviously I'm still getting familiar with trim issues all round. I'll try it with a 7.4 tight leech IMCO sail to see how that goes.

I was thinking of a Bic 293 or RSX track. Depending on the design of the track, some would lend themselves better to cutting down that others.

Browning? I haven't seen that name in windsurfing since who knows when. Maybe Mike Eskimo was one of the last sponsored Browning sailors. Availability is the big issue.

The original mast foot config had been highly modified already (see photos), so I am not too concerned about changing that bit of it. I think that may be part of the reason that section of the board is less rigid than original.

I would put some stringers or bulkhead or ribs under the area to stiffen and support not only mast track, but deck generally.

On the reaches in just ten knots the board was lifting out really nicely- very impressive. With a bigger fin and a more aft rig position I reckon it could power even more on a bearaway.

Clarence

Can10
173 posts
23 Feb 2016 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Clarence,

Here is the well known Browning mast track (here equipping the Browning D2)
There are different lengths.
This one is short but I think it exist up to 60cms long...Very reliable.

The Mistral mast track (red pedal) could be an alternative. Easier to find but longer and more fragile

Can10
173 posts
25 Feb 2016 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Closer look to mast tracks...Browning on left, a long one

The red pedal on a US rail (not Mistral) would be a good alternative also...

AUS817
NSW, 391 posts
25 Feb 2016 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dennis,
I suspect you might be able to gret a D2 fleet running, however the world's in Brisbane may be a struggle as most the guys with D2 boards are already sailing in the Raceboards, myself included.
Others I know with D2 boards are Doug Mclean, Glen Morrell and I think Chris Thompson. I also know that Chris Lawrence recently sold a while bunch of old D2 gear, just not sure who to.
John

walterm
NSW, 7 posts
25 Feb 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi D2 Enthusiasts
Great to read about renewed interest in a great area of windsurfing. I went to Sodium Eclat D2 (French? board sold out of Perth) from Wally racing and later got a Davidson when it came up. I replied to Twice Bitten's Wanted Ad for a D2 but distance is a problem.
I have just listed Davidson Division 2 board on the site and the board is at Berry just north of Nowra. A house move means I don't have the storage I use to and would hate to see the board deteriorate.
A great opportunity for someone to get a D2 that is not a basket case. Reg White UK built and would benefit from some new deck grip but ready to sail.
All he best to those who enjoy the D2 groove. Geoff

saltyheaven
TAS, 507 posts
25 Feb 2016 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS817 said..
I also know that Chris Lawrence recently sold a while bunch of old D2 gear, just not sure who to.

The Dobbelman that I bought from Chris is now owned by Dave Bell in Rose Bay. I now have a Lechner.

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
25 Feb 2016 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

/\

I'm not sure if it would help, but if you're passing through Canberra (or at Batemans on the Anzac Day weekend) I could store the Davidson until someone gets it. Twice Bitten may even trust me with it for a while!

Can10
173 posts
25 Feb 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Well, it's taking shape !

John: It's funny, your remark is exactly the one I brought yesterday at IWA for discussion, see if we could adjust races agenda in Brisbane to allow sailors jumping from a class to another during same week...Not sure it is technically feasible but...we'll see.

Dennis: The good news is that we've set the bar at 5 sailors minimum to qualify D2 to participate at the Event. It's ok!
5 sailors mini..Don't tell me you guys you cannot make it
I'm thinking to join you also.

Geoff: Too bad you have to resell your Davidson (Reg White) but at least you'll make a D2 enthusiast Happy.
I have exactly the same...fantactic board.

Chris: Your proposal to temporarily store friend's equipment due to distance, etc...is exactly what you guys need to do: Helping each others
We did it in France a couple years ago to help the awakening fleet of D2 fans to rebuild and be up running by itself.

Who volonteers to reach any potential D2 sailors, regrouping a fleet ready for Brisbane ?

Eric

Amati
9 posts
26 Feb 2016 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at this topic has me thinking back on my CRIT 650 which wasn't that great in 0-3K, but better in over 8K. Moved on to the CRIT D2.

The Alpha D2 (forgot the name) was great, because it was stable and good in The light stuff.

dont know if the Ken Winner was a D2- it was kind of in a grey area between D1 and D2. It smoked in the heavier stuff. Course it was designed for the Pan Ams on Kailua Bay, so the prevailing winds were a bit more than cats paws. It was horrible in a cross chop!! Flip right out from under you!

with the demise of D2 on the US west coast I designed and built some of my own, which rapidly became D2 illegal...

would pan am boards be ok here, or a different thread?

Can10
173 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

Amati,

D2 thread here only You didn't keep our Crit D2?

saltyheaven
TAS, 507 posts
26 Feb 2016 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

I'm personally not wed to the D2 class rules; I'm interested in all D2 ish boards and designs both old and new, especially new!

If it turns out that broadening the discussion promotes thought and interest and even, dare I say, actual further development of the class then bring it on in spades I say!

Can10
173 posts
26 Feb 2016 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Geoff,

I found a pic of the Sodim D2 Eclax .This one seems to be in Malaysia...Very rare today.

You have it also on the brochure, 2nd board from the right..

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
26 Feb 2016 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with Saltyheaven. I think any discussion of longboards in all their forms is a good thing. One designs, raceboards, D2s, anything a little "vintage"

If the longboard threads keep going like this there may eventually be a separate "longboard" forum in windsurfing- and it would need all those types to be included to get the critical mass for it to happen.

Clarence

handyman0708
QLD, 152 posts
26 Feb 2016 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

The greatest thing about longboards is you don't need an incredibly small window of wind opportunity to get out to develop your skills- not having the right fin or the exact sail size makes life pretty cruisy. Just glide.

fjdoug
ACT, 548 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

hey 249, you need to post a pick of your Pan-Am's

Can10
173 posts
26 Feb 2016 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Apologizes guys. I simply thought that title of this threat was clearly calling for "Division 2 boards", as you had enthusiastically started a discussion about them...

Amati
9 posts
27 Feb 2016 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

I sold the 650 and kept the CRIT D2 because I was living in Seattle, which back then was more or less a 0-3k or a 10-18k environment, which didn't suit the 650's sweet spot. The D2 and my sinker ADD were perfect for Seattle and the Gorge. Yes! The Gorge has light air days! As far as I know, no one mastered a D2 when it was nuking.

Frankly I coveted the alpha D2 for its stability, which resulted in wins while the rest of us spent time in the water, especially in gnarly water or gusty large degree clocks. I suspect this would not apply to you Chris.

(Just as an aside, my favorite board ever was the 15' Sailboard. Loved that thing- looked like a loooong D1, but was under built and a bit heavy. It broke in some 2' chop. Just after the warranty expired. But that said, it did everything well, especially railed up upwind above 4-5k. So smooth. Was a bit narrower than the D class boards. I have no pics, and I can't remember what kind of rails it had. I think they tended towards boxy? Good for tricks too, tail stands, pivots etc. if this belongs elsewher, point?)

handyman0708
QLD, 152 posts
28 Feb 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Another one being brought out of retirement, decommissioned and heading to Brisbane. Might get that fleet together yet.

Can10
173 posts
29 Feb 2016 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
handyman0708 said..
Another one being brought out of retirement, decommissioned and heading to Brisbane. Might get that fleet together yet.

YES !!!
Well done Handy...If you need help, advices to repair, revamp the DB2...Remember many will be happy to help on our FB group. ;)
Hope to see you sailing that board soon again

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Only five boards needed to make a class at the Worlds? Hmmm, sounds good. Particularly if we make sure that Dennis sticks to using the Wally rig on his Lechner while I use Lars' old 7.3 rig on mine!

handyman0708
QLD, 152 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toubab said..

handyman0708 said..

YES !!!
Well done Handy...If you need help, advices to repair, revamp the DB2...Remember many will be happy to help on our FB group. ;)

Sorry to disappoint- its not me restoring this board- I sold this one to a very dedicated sailor based in Brisbane who I know will do it justice. He has put so much work into the promotion of windsurfing as a sport and I'm sure you will see him on this not too far away. I'm sure he will gleefully be looking for advice to get this sorted. Not me.

Can10
173 posts
29 Feb 2016 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
handyman0708 said..

Toubab said..

handyman0708 said..

YES !!!

Sorry to disappoint- its not me restoring this board- I sold this one to a very dedicated sailor based in Brisbane who I know will do it justice. He has put so much work into the promotion of windsurfing as a sport and I'm sure you will see him on this not too far away. I'm sure he will gleefully be looking for advice to get this sorted. Not me.

Sounds good Handy...At least the board is in good hands and will navigate again. Look forward to hear from the buyer.
Tell him that we hope being enough to have a dedicated starting line for D2s at the Worlds in November

Can10
173 posts
29 Feb 2016 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
Only five boards needed to make a class at the Worlds? Hmmm, sounds good. Particularly if we make sure that Dennis sticks to using the Wally rig on his Lechner while I use Lars' old 7.3 rig on mine!

Chris,
Yes and I want to believe that you guys will be able to regroup and make it happening.

As mentioned before, I'll do my best to join also.

Can you coordinate it?

walterm
NSW, 7 posts
29 Feb 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Toubab
Thanks for the pic of the Sodium. I remember the red and blue graphics vividly. It came with a beautiful laminated centreboard which i think my brother used in a 505 rudder and a Serafic alloy mast which was thing of engineering beauty being double tapered
Pics brought back some good memories and hadn't heard of any others despite some searching when I considered fitting a sliding mask tack and footstraps. I think mine came into Perth as a demo.
Board came with two fixed mast holes - not the best system as rig needed to come back off the wind.
You obviously have a good reference base. Thanks again
Cheers
Geoff
PS Davidson still available!!

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
29 Feb 2016 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toubab said..

handyman0708 said..

Toubab said..

handyman0708 said..

YES !!!

Sounds good Handy...At least the board is in good hands and will navigate again. Look forward to hear from the buyer.
Tell him that we hope being enough to have a dedicated starting line for D2s at the Worlds in November

Was thinking about buying restoring and old BMW airhead but this looks easier and cheaper and probably as much fun to ride. Having never ridden one I am looking forward to the experience.

I will be in Brisbane at the worlds for sure given it's at my home club but I will be entering my Phantom. However once seaworthy again and if enough numbers commit to create a fleet, this board may well be available for use, particularly for someone wishing to enter from overseas.

handyman0708
QLD, 152 posts
29 Feb 2016 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Mind you- World 5th place, Division 2 (potentially at worst) or 127th Raceboard or something like that. Which sounds better on the resume when applying for a full windsurfing sponsorship?

BSN101
WA, 2299 posts
29 Feb 2016 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Ive just found a Sodim D2?? in the front yard of someones house so I went and asked them about it.
The hubby is gonna get back to me if i can have it.
Ill get some pictures asap for identification.

I hope shes a good one so Ill be able to keep up with AUS65!

Im on a bit of a roll, i picked up a Mistral OD, Equipe is being looked at but needs some refurbishing and now this Sodim has surfaced.
Id better buy a lotto tix to pay for the fixing of them.

Woo Hoo!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Division 2 board" started by saltyheaven