Lancelin Ocean Classic 2016

Created by AUS1111 > 9 months ago, 17 Jan 2016
someone:)
WA, 4 posts
19 Jan 2016 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Nick, did you cross the line with your ankle bracelet that actually records your time? :/

Speaking of timing chips on ankles, the lady who was putting them on for us was probably new to it and didn't put mine on very well. Tape ended up in the water just after the first mark and I kept hearing the velcro come off every time the water splashed up. Had to jump in halfway through the race to put it back on!

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
19 Jan 2016 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
celia1124 said..

Speaking of timing chips on ankles, the lady who was putting them on for us was probably new to it and didn't put mine on very well. Tape ended up in the water just after the first mark and I kept hearing the velcro come off every time the water splashed up. Had to jump in halfway through the race to put it back on!

Yes I was surprised at the method as well.

Last few years they put a wrap or two vertically, just around where the velcro sticks to itself. That made sense to me.

This year they put a wrap all the way around the whole anklet, which I think wouldn't be as secure.

It was obvious to me that there was a whole new set of people running this event, and not in a good way. No-one inspected my life jacket or flares, the tents were set up in the middle of the carpark (I mean, seriously?), after you'd finished talking to one person you then had to line up again, you didn't get a T-shirt, etc. Full marks for moving the event to Sunday, but it seemed to me as if this set of organisers hadn't talked to last year's people to see what the best way to do things was.

Obelix
WA, 1092 posts
19 Jan 2016 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

One noticeable difference was the marketing.
The event was more promoted, and it felt more exciting in anticipation.

someone:)
WA, 4 posts
19 Jan 2016 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nebbian said..

Yes I was surprised at the method as well.

Last few years they put a wrap or two vertically, just around where the velcro sticks to itself. That made sense to me.

This year they put a wrap all the way around the whole anklet, which I think wouldn't be as secure.

It was obvious to me that there was a whole new set of people running this event, and not in a good way. No-one inspected my life jacket or flares, the tents were set up in the middle of the carpark (I mean, seriously?), after you'd finished talking to one person you then had to line up again, you didn't get a T-shirt, etc. Full marks for moving the event to Sunday, but it seemed to me as if this set of organisers hadn't talked to last year's people to see what the best way to do things was.

Haha...now there's a good story...I got sent around in circles telling me I needed parental consent even though my parents were right there next to me. Took me about 30mins to line up and get my name get ticked off a few times. And once again, size small wasn't quite as "small" as you would think...lots of the female competitors had really loose sleeves that kept flapping about. But they did a pretty good job considering that there were so many events all on one day.

MaxVMGRacing
WA, 120 posts
19 Jan 2016 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Where are all the windsurf GPS tracks??Get them added to the RaceQS track, takes just a moment to create an account and then upload your track, super easy!!
raceqs.com/regattas/49691

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 Jan 2016 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

I heard rumours some of the new race organisers snubbed some of the local volunteers to begin with, then when they realised they did actually need their help and experience it was too late and some were now committed elsewhere.

Still a massive effort though as a lot of the locals pitched in despite the teething problems with the new organisers. A lot of people in Lano wear different hats, for example I know one guy who was in the volunteer firetruck for the fireworks, in the volunteer ambulance at various stages throughout the weekend and also part of the beach sweep crew for the marathon in his own vehicle. Other friends spent the weekend swapping between the firetruck and the ambulance or the sea rescue boats and the fire truck.

Don't lose sight of the fact that 95% of the people behind the scenes give up their own time and effort to make the weekend, and most of them don't sail/kite. Top effort by all.

mathew
QLD, 2039 posts
19 Jan 2016 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

My LOC track - courtesy of KA72's awesome track visualisation...

www.ka72.com/Track/t/272468

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
19 Jan 2016 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..
My LOC track - courtesy of KA72's awesome track visualisation...

www.ka72.com/Track/t/272468

Sweet

MaxVMGRacing
WA, 120 posts
20 Jan 2016 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Got a few PM's asking how to get your GPS track into RaceQS

1. Got to raceqs.com/ and click on SignUp to create a new account/profile, if using your facebook profofile takes only a few seconds.
2. log in.
3. Once logged in click on the My Journal Tab, and on the left hand side is a "Upload GPS file", and upload file :)4. Your DONE!
It adds your GPS track to your profile, if you track is within the event area for the event time, its automatically added to the Event website.
RaceQS is a brilliant crowdsourced platform, that anybody can use for free. See how you did leg by leg.If you use a water proof mobile, just down load the app and either live stream your track or upload when you back to the beach. Where did they gain on you and why, where have you got them beat and how can you leverage that advantage further.Excellent training tool!!Enjoy!

Man0verBoard
WA, 629 posts
20 Jan 2016 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Any race finish photos?

JustinL
NSW, 467 posts
Site Sponsor
20 Jan 2016 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder if I should put a proposal to the professional race management to make the start not before 2pm? This may increase participation from eastern states. Sailors would have to get to a airport on the east coast by about 3am Perth Time. So that's a long day and people might not want to do that so it might not grow the event at all. Its pretty big at the moment. Yeah, OK I talked myself out of that pretty quick. HA HA

Activating the spare day was a good decision as it turned out. Only wish this was announced earlier to sort out flights, gear, car hire etc in a better way.

Anyway I really loved the event. I made this video of my experience. Hope you like it.
regards Justin

.be

BRUCE H
NSW, 179 posts
21 Jan 2016 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Excellent work Justin. Now please do a 3000 word report on the whole trip for all us unlucky/lazy buggers who dream of going but never do.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Jan 2016 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Nice Justin !!

berowne
NSW, 1281 posts
21 Jan 2016 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

The LOC has been ticked off my bucket list! Completed on the first attempt, despite the light air at the start.

If interested, my GPS track is on ka72 and raceQS too:
www.ka72.com/DesktopModules/ka72/TrackDetails/kml.asmx/GetFile?tid=272498

What an awesome event, so much fun... just don't believe the "WA is WINDY" hype. I was only planning half the time on:
134L Futura
MauiSails TRX 7.7
Select S7 35cm (too small!)

Unfortunately I left the 48cm fin back at Lancelin and that may have affected my planning ability a bit! The first half was all 'slog' while most of the second half was planning.

BIG, HUGE, MASSIVE Thanks to my mate Darren (Dazzer @ The Pit Crew) for coming across to W.A. with me and sailing 3 out of 6 days.

remery
WA, 2613 posts
6 Dec 2016 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Its been a while since I did the LOC (30 years) and after a few beers and seeing a mate had entered, I did too. My mate has since dropped out so I now need either wimp out, or get my **** together. Clearly my RAF Wave sails and PE slalom board needed to be replaced and so I picked up a 95L JP Xcite Ride and 5.0 and 5.4 Neil Pryde Search sails with a carbon mast and new fangled clip-on boom. I still have the smoke flares from last time but they expired in October 1989; and the dog ate my bouyancy vest.

Do we still need bouyancy vests and flares? Helmets?

I noticed in the above videos that there were lines of starters. Does everyone still drive up early to get a good spot? Do Grand Masters start with everyone else? I wouldn't want to injure anyone as they hurdle my zimmer frame.

I gather I need to join the associated. Anything else I should know? I have a weed fin and well-remember what happens when sailing over craypot lines.

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
6 Dec 2016 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Agrid said..
Its been a while since I did the LOC (30 years) and after a few beers and seeing a mate had entered, I did too. My mate has since dropped out so I now need either wimp out, or get my **** together. Clearly my RAF Wave sails and PE slalom board needed to be replaced and so I picked up a 95L JP Xcite Ride and 5.0 and 5.4 Neil Pryde Search sails with a carbon mast and new fangled clip-on boom. I still have the smoke flares from last time but they expired in October 1989; and the dog ate my bouyancy vest.

I noticed in the above videos that there were lines of starters. Does everyone still drive up early to get a good spot? Do Grand Masters start with everyone else? I wouldn't want to injure anyone as they hurdle my zimmer frame.

I gather I need to join the associated. Anything else I should know? I have a weed fin and well-remember what happens when sailing over craypot lines.

Bouyancy vests and flares are still compulsory but it sounds like no-one checked them this year.
There are lines of starters.
Front lines are for elite,
then in order of registration, so if you rock up on the morning you start at the back.
All ages start together.

In the last few years the wind has been light and big sails have been essential. This is a downwind race and you need to be well powered to keep planing.
This year is shaping up to be better for seabreezes, so you might away with the 5 or 5.4 but I would definitely have some bigger sails available.

gavnwend
WA, 1365 posts
6 Dec 2016 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Any big names coming out for this year's event!

kato
VIC, 3391 posts
6 Dec 2016 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

I'm a little name that's attending
Bought the 4.4 just in case

LancelinOcean
47 posts
7 Dec 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..

Agrid said..

Bouyancy vests and flares are still compulsory but it sounds like no-one checked them this year.
There are lines of starters.
Front lines are for elite,
then in order of registration, so if you rock up on the morning you start at the back.
All ages start together.

In the last few years the wind has been light and big sails have been essential. This is a downwind race and you need to be well powered to keep planing.
This year is shaping up to be better for seabreezes, so you might away with the 5 or 5.4 but I would definitely have some bigger sails available.

PFD's and Flares are compulsory, although we do have a *few* for hire on the day if you happen to leave yours at home.

We have all of our fingers and toes crossed this year will bring big winds! But if not, we have reserve days on either side of the event.

We welcome all ages, zimmerframes welcome, as long as you can secure it onto your board!

If you've got any other questions, feel free to shoot us an email! admin@lancelinoceanclassic.com.au!

LancelinOcean
47 posts
7 Dec 2016 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gavnwend said..
Any big names coming out for this year's event!

Still trying our best to secure some biggin's! Keep an eye on our Facebook Page and e-newsletter!

LancelinOcean
47 posts
7 Dec 2016 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

kato said..

kato said..

We welcome all. Big and Small.

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
8 Dec 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

If travelling to WA for just one race seems a lot of effort COME FOR 2 RACE WEEKENDS.

The Cervantes Windsurf Challenge is the weekend before LOC so head over a week early for some full power slalom racing in one of the windiest places on the west coast. Between events enjoy any of the many spots between Cervantes and Lano.

Registration is open to members of any AWA affiliated club or state association.

windsurfingwa.tidyhq.com/public/events/7152-cervantes-windsurf-challenge

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Lancelin Ocean Classic 2016" started by AUS1111