windfest 2013

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 9 Mar 2013
Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
12 Mar 2013 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers haircut. More excellent pics.

Todays wrap.

What a day out on the bank. The leader board has changed with vando leading the way and Phil taking out the nautical mile. I tried to upload full results tonight but lost connection so will try again tomorrow when I have dylan's laptop in front of me.

Today was smoking. 20-25 with blue skies and some solid 25-30 squalls coming through. Today was near perfect and willl be hard to beat. The direction varied from se to see and had the full run working from the 6th marker right in to near burrum sands. A good 3+ km run along flat water with the bank fully exposed.

Alex came out today and caught some waves just outside the 6th marker.

Channel 7 again missed the fun. They missed the barge so we sent a run about back to pick then up. About half way out to the course they asked the skipper to turn around and take them back. Apparently it was too windy and the 2-3 foot chop was wetting their gear. [}:)]

We are all starting to loose track of time and days. We wake to white caps, sail for 4+ hours in 20-25 knots and head in for a BBQ and drinks to get ready to do it all again.

It's windsurfing ground hog day

Some are hoping it doesn't blow tomorrow so we can have a rest day . Forecast is said to ease to 15-20 knots from lunch tomorrow so we will see what the outcome will be. One thing is for sure if it's blowing again more speed runs will be on the table.

We are also exploring the idea of some freeracing around the boats as markers just to mix it up a bit.

3 days to go!

Friday will be a lay day with the end of event party starting early

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
13 Mar 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Day 5

forecast from the bom has been spot during the event. Today and tomorrow they are forecasting 15-20 and that looks to be on the money again. This morning the swell has dropped and is coming in more easterly.

We will make a decision as a collective at todays briefing as to the agenda today.

Last night was a quiet around town. Most were asleep early. Tonight we are all off to the pub for the mid week bash.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7970 posts
13 Mar 2013 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Cripes the wind gods smiled on you! Great stuff!
B Tv.. Typical they finally get a day where they could show some good footage but piked out![}:)]

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
13 Mar 2013 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hi sbc. Yep we've been lucky. It is very likely that at this time of the year here it will blow. So we always get time on the water but this year has been better than average :-)

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
13 Mar 2013 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Update.

currently 15-20 on the course. We have decided on a rest day today after pushing briefing back to 1.30pm.

Some people went down to hervey bay to enjoy the cafe's and water park.

Chriso just came in with a haul of mud crabs and is out fishing as I type.

Meanwhile 10 or so have headed out to the bank for some free sailing. Still making the most of the wind.

current results are.

2 sec open
Vando 39.868
Glynn 39.052
Phillip Nott 39.032

5_10 open
Vando 37.132
Glynn 36.543
Phillip Nott 36.225

Nm open
Phillip Nott 36.049
Vando 36.015
Glynn 31.916

5_10 legends
Geoff ringe 33.846
Greg banks 29.595
Ray Wilson 27.748

Nm legends
Geoff ringe 31.210
greg banks 27.490
Ray Wilson 25.034

5_10 women
Kellie tusler 31.137
Anne Lewis 27.352

Nm women
Kellie tusler 28.522
Anne Lewis 24.025

5_10 Youth
Scott Hansen 25.809
Bradley Jones 25.652

Close results all round. With only 15-20 knots forecast tomorrow I believe those results will stand

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
14 Mar 2013 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Day 6.

Cyclone Sandra is now well and truely gone so burrum has returned to more normal weather for this time of year with 15-20 kn se being forecast .

Next week looks interesting with another low in north qld.

For today we have the barge picking us up ar midday to take the spectators out to for some free racing

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
14 Mar 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Update....

Wind 5-15 and changable so we set the barge as gybe mark and held longboard/supsailing races. Peter nitschke took out race 1.

We are currently anchored on the barge out in the channel lazing about drinking some beers and fishing off the back of the barge.

Happy days..

15-20 still forecast from the se for this arvo

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
14 Mar 2013 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Light winds to end the day so we've all been relaxing in the sun. Great way to wind down the comp.

Everyone at rays place for happy hour which started 2 hours ago.

Cheers ray.

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
14 Mar 2013 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Limoncello ?

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
14 Mar 2013 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Another top day... Even if the wind wasn't there... Thanks Ray for the extended happy hour at ur place

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
15 Mar 2013 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I can confirm there may have been some limoncello involved...[}:)]

Day 7.

Party day! Kicks off at 1 o'clock with a rib fillet BBQ and beers, then presentation.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
15 Mar 2013 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

How did you get such awesome colour and depth???

And blurring background while keeping focus on the sailor?

Awesome...

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
15 Mar 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Update..

Just gearing up for the presentation BBQ and drinks after an easy morning sailing one designs.

Now the wind has kicked in solid 20 knots so we will re-arrange the day.

Quick BBQ lunch, then sailing is on again so we'll push back the presentation to when everyone comes in and fire up the BBQ for dinner and presentation.

Reflex Films
WA, 1443 posts
15 Mar 2013 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

K Dog said...

Awesome...

Thos pics were awesome Mr Hair cut -

I am guessing an f2.8 quality lens possibly a 400 or 600 ? , shot in raw and a quick grade / tweak applied - possibly on a 7d - with a good understanding of

1. The sharpness and quality a good lens delivers
2. Knowing how to use depth of field and shutter speed /motion blur to make your pics have more drama
3. Understanding light and not shooting into it where possible

I am only guessing - but the photos really drew my eye

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
15 Mar 2013 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

It's not the gear it's the photographer.

Haircut is extremely good.

Reflex Films
WA, 1443 posts
15 Mar 2013 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Reflex Films said...
K Dog said...

Awesome...

a good understanding of

1. The sharpness and quality a good lens delivers
2. Knowing how to use depth of field and shutter speed /motion blur to make your pics have more drama
3. Understanding light and not shooting into it where possible

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
16 Mar 2013 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

hi kdog - ive become quite proficient with photoshop 40% photo skillz, 60% photoshop skill

regarding the blur - as reflex has said, i slow the shutter speed right down and just try to track the moving subject as closely as possible. maybe 1 out of 10 shots hits the mark at the right spot (ala sailors face and equipment have no motion blur if lucky)

thanks reflex (and gesty) i appreciate it

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
16 Mar 2013 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Last night we brought burrum windfest to a close for another year. Everything is packed and I'm back on the road with others starting the journey home.

Once i get back and sort through the photos and write some words I'll a wrap for the event.

Thanks to everyone that attended this year. I personally had an awesome time and am sure many others did also.

what a great event. Made that way by those who join in.

if i don't catch up with people on the water i look forward to seeing you next year for burrum windfest 2014!

Cheers
Justin

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
16 Mar 2013 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

we really enjoyed the few days we were there. thanks for putting on another fun meet

F2
QLD, 209 posts
16 Mar 2013 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to say what a great event it was this year, Burrum Heads is one of the best places you can sail, I sailed it for 6 days in a row in great wind, also a big thankyou to all the people who made this event happen, see you all at Windfest 2014 .

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
16 Mar 2013 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Geoff. Good to see you still carving it up. I'm making plans to come up for next year. You guys had some great weather.
Cheers
Marty

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
16 Mar 2013 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

F2 said...
I would like to say what a great event it was this year, Burrum Heads is one of the best places you can sail, I sailed it for 6 days in a row in great wind, also a big thankyou to all the people who made this event happen, see you all at Windfest 2014 .

+1

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
16 Mar 2013 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

F2 said...

+ once more

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
16 Mar 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Put a clip together on some of the footage off my GoPro

First time there and I'll def be going back

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
17 Mar 2013 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

gret vid rolz!

some very sweet gybes in there. that first run upwind was..... screaming.

fitz66
QLD, 575 posts
17 Mar 2013 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Had a great time, thanks to all the organisers, only 2 regrets.. I couldn't stay longer and I should of rigged the 6.2 on Saturday lol. Good to catch up with everyone.

AusMoz
QLD, 1438 posts
17 Mar 2013 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Justin, Kelly and all the sponsors! - a lot of work organising the event for 1 week, wish I was there longer!

Each year I go there I learn a lot from the other sailors so a big thanks to all the sailors as well!

Will be there next year for the week.

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
17 Mar 2013 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

F2 said...

cheers geoff and everyone for the kind words,

some of the guys this year sailed for 12 days straight.

some statistics for the event.

the event started in 2007 at caloundra and moved to burrum in 2008 (thanks to geoff)... so next year is the events 8th year and the 7th year at burrum.

over the last 6 years of the event being held at burrum heads we have only had one event where no sailing was possible during the week.

so out of the 6 previous years at burrum 5 of those years have resulted in sailable conditions during the duration of a week with winds varying from 15-30 knots and 2 of those years had winds over 20 knots.

not bad when you consider how disasterous it usually is for the forecast when someone announces a demo day or a competition.

the windwanderers as a club, had it's first meet in april 2006. making next year the 9th year the club has been supporting windsurfing in qld.

full results from this year are available here thanks to dylan's excellent work.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x2w3oz14PwU_Odo3Espf8kDh-t3vGwGkEjvroQ2qGpE/edit?rm=full

final review and thanks with photos coming monday evening.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
17 Mar 2013 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Rolz said...
Put a clip together on some of the footage off my GoPro

Thanks for sharing Rolz, great angle Looking forward to Greenleader's also.
I'll knock mine up soon, got a bit of swearing in it

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
17 Mar 2013 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to everyone involved in organising and competing this year, much enjoyment

FNQ Mobster's house of pleasure and pain and those who made the trip down, 2 from Cairns, 2 from Mackay and a bbq leftover from Yeppoon

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"windfest 2013" started by Gestalt