Alternative to the GT-31

Created by Tony Polony > 9 months ago, 11 Feb 2015
mathew
QLD, 2039 posts
23 Feb 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..
For record attempts, have you ever seen the final-record showing the result of two gps' combined? You wont - the data for the record, doesn't use two GPS's results. That requirement is so that the first units' data, can be compared to the second unit -> to verify that they both look the same.

Quoting myself.... half of this statement is incorrect.

While two GPS units need to look the same, the average speed is calculated independently, then the result is combined so that the average of the two is used the record. This allows us to reduce the error-margin by a corresponing amount.

geoITA
159 posts
23 Feb 2015 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
GeoITA. Where did you get the idea that the accuracy is as good as 0.1kts? Read my previous comment about this again.

I was answering to Kato.
My (personal!) idea is that such small differences in windsurfing speeds ranking mean nothig. I would call 36.48 and 36.52 is the same speed actually.
So 0.1 knot is the kind of precision I consider generally worth considering and all that I would like to have in my GPS logger. If possible and if practical.
I am not trying to convince anyone about this; if a group of people like to compete taking into account smaller differences, OK of course, and I also think that such hunger for precision and reliability has the potential to eventually lead in advancements in the instruments we may find available.
But the majority of "normal" windsurfers will do with what they find available, practical, inexpensive and otherwise useful. In my place it's easier to see Suuntos than GT-31's (no, the Suunto is not inexpensive, but it's a watch too, is cool, and you can wear it without a bag; despite its output as a GPSSS logger is very close to useless).

By the way, I was thinking. After all if the Thingsee had a mic and earphone too, it could be used as a smartphone. And, if a smartphone had an accurate enough GPS ... I see there's plenty of "datalogger" apps on PlayStore.

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
26 Feb 2015 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't find a GT-31 for sale and was too impatient so I bought a Canmore from shakatak59 on ebay. It shipped from Germany and has arrived on time. It seems to work fine, although I haven't been in the water with it yet as it seems the duldrums have set in.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Feb 2015 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

remember to set it to one sec before going out !!! :-)

geoITA
159 posts
26 Feb 2015 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

And remember it really hates water ... I think it actually hates humidity! Nothing even comparable to a Foretrex, which is supposed to be IPX7 same as well.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
26 Feb 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

One concept of reducing humidity in small waterproof bags is to use a sachet of silica gel (or dry sorb). Small sachets come in shoe boxes and even in packets of flatbread. Noting that they don't take up much space, they will easily fit in the bag along with your device.

If they get wet, dry them out in the sun or with a hot air gun.

I used to throw a couple in my small grab tackle box whilst kayak fishing. Used to work alright....

AUS4
NSW, 1253 posts
27 Feb 2015 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

decrepit said..
My impression from the pic is that it might just squeeze into a paqua, any confirmation?

kato said..
The shape is a bit of an issue to make cases for as the plastic bag idea never really worked for me. IPX67 just not enough without an extra layer.

Why is it that shape then? Make it to a formula that already has a solution. As I said "what has dictated the shape that we see"?

Both way too big.

KevinD002
226 posts
28 Feb 2015 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said..
One concept of reducing humidity in small waterproof bags is to use a sachet of silica gel (or dry sorb). Small sachets come in shoe boxes and even in packets of flatbread. Noting that they don't take up much space, they will easily fit in the bag along with your device.

If they get wet, dry them out in the sun or with a hot air gun.

I used to throw a couple in my small grab tackle box whilst kayak fishing. Used to work alright....

That or I just use a spoonful of rice :D

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
28 Feb 2015 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

At least you can eat the rice once it's absorbed all the moisture too!

Nice one

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
28 Feb 2015 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
remember to set it to one sec before going out !!! :-)

Thanks for the tips guys. It was set to 5 seconds from the factory

I'll be extra careful to keep it dry!

AusMoz
QLD, 1445 posts
15 Mar 2015 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Just looking at getting the Canmore. Is it easier to use/download than the GT31???

decrepit
WA, 12070 posts
15 Mar 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

From what I've seen NO, it's certainly much harder to read while on the water, the font is just miles too small. As far as downloading data, there's probably not much difference, but you'd need to talk to somebody who's done both.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
15 Mar 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I download my canmore on ka 72, simple as.

AusMoz
QLD, 1445 posts
15 Mar 2015 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

I guess the less time looking at the screen is better

tbwonder
NSW, 649 posts
15 Mar 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

The Canmore is very simple to use. The only setting required is to ensure it is set to 1 sec logging. It produces a FIT file that can be directly sent to KA72.
It is very small, cheap, available and appears to produce results very similar to the GT31. However screen is tiny, units are in km/h so impossible to read whilst sailing.

AusMoz
QLD, 1445 posts
15 Mar 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tbwonder said..
The Canmore is very simple to use. The only setting required is to ensure it is set to 1 sec logging. It produces a FIT file that can be directly sent to KA72.
It is very small, cheap, available and appears to produce results very similar to the GT31. However screen is tiny, units are in km/h so impossible to read whilst sailing.

Sounds damm perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSN101
WA, 2286 posts
15 Mar 2015 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

My canmore is on the way... tomorrow i hope!

choco
SA, 4029 posts
17 Mar 2015 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

love to see something like this

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
17 Mar 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah!!

If we had a market of millions of users, it would be done!

Unfortunately, we don't.

There are definite possibilities for that sort of stuff with the Thingsee One though................

WazzaYotty
QLD, 302 posts
17 Mar 2015 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Is it compulsory to wear lycra if I get one? My bum looks like a bag of onions in that stuff.

andysails
SA, 79 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Got a few used GT-31's. PM me if looking for one.

berowne
NSW, 1281 posts
26 Mar 2015 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

iGotU ? Anyone know anything about these? Seem to have reasonable specks (IPX7) but I don't know about logging frequency, chip accuracy etc.

www.canadagps.com/IGotU_GT-900Pro_GPS_Logger.html
www.canadagps.com/IGotU_GT-820Pro_GPS_Logger.html

i-gotU GT-900 series GPS travel and sports watch is designed to provide you with
multiple sport information indoors or out. This GPS-enabled watch accurately records
how far, how fast, and how good you are doing during sport and trip. It comes with
Bluetooth Low Energy wireless interface for connection with heart rate monitor. You
could configure the GPS recording interval and the screen display to meet the various
sports and travel requirements outdoors. Together with the @trip PC software, photo
geo-tagging online it makes the sharing easier than ever. Enjoy your trips, analyze your
performance, and share them with friends easily.

i-gotU GT-820Pro GPS Bike & Travel Computer (SiRF IV GPS Chipset, 200k Waypoint GPS logger, IPX7 Water resistant, 3D G-Sensor, Barometric Altimeter & Digital Compass) ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9444495957528_2266_10673694 i-gotU GT-820 series is a sophisticated GPS computer and handy for various outdoor and
sport activities. Its 1.4” back-lighted LCD display details all the essential GPS information
you need to know on the go, including speed, distance, altitude, time, pace, heart rate,
pedaling cadence, calorie burned, and much more. This light weight GPS device can be
portable or mounted onto your bike. Furthermore, it support Bluetooth Low Energy wireless
interface for connection with heart rate monitor and cadence/speed sensor for performance
measurement. i-gotU GT-820 series is truly the best travel mate that bike riders, travelers, or
photographers could ever have.

boardsurfr
WA, 2301 posts
26 Mar 2015 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good at first glance, but the manual states:
"Although the device is protected against wash splashes and raindrops, use of the device during swimming or in a shower/bath is not suitable and strongly prohibited, for the water pressure during swimming is much higher than still water; likewise, high temperature and mist in a shower might cause unexpected water inleakage and damages."

I think the "strongly prohibited" is clear enough :-).

andysails
SA, 79 posts
26 Mar 2015 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andysails said..
Got a few used GT-31's. PM me if looking for one.

All gone!

berowne
NSW, 1281 posts
28 Mar 2015 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

So what is the best option available NOW?
My GT-31 finally died after years of good service.

Oh and I do like this GPS watch...
www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/vivoactive-smartwatch-vivofit2.html

powersloshin
NSW, 1677 posts
28 Mar 2015 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Get the canmore for $55 now; will keep you going until the perfect device is on the market. Roar is using mine you can ask him how it works.

BSN101
WA, 2286 posts
28 Mar 2015 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said...
Get the canmore for $55 now; will keep you going until the perfect device is on the market. Roar is using mine you can ask him how it works.

Canmore will cost a bit more than that. Unless you have a link for everyone?

decrepit
WA, 12070 posts
28 Mar 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..

And after you get the perfect machine, the canmore is an ideal back up.

powersloshin
NSW, 1677 posts
29 Mar 2015 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

That's what I paid a few months ago, I am not up to date with latest prices

BSN101
WA, 2286 posts
29 Mar 2015 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..

BSN101 said..

That's what I paid a few months ago, I am not up to date with latest prices

Can you put a link or something down to help others, I just paid $100!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Alternative to the GT-31" started by Tony Polony