Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+

Created by boardsurfr > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2014
jarekg
2 posts
11 Nov 2014 6:07AM
Thumbs Up

jarekg said..
Hi I am quite new on this forum but topic of GPS measuring is hot for me - I found another interesting alternative for GT-31 unit from VELOCITEK. In fact they offer pro sailing machines on their website, there is good real time demo for these units as well and they are full waterproof + optimised for real time speed and position monitoring - definitely it is interesting and worth to check:

www.velocitek.com/

1. prostart - unit optimised for start time countdown and the GPS monitoring

Technical SpecificationsSpeed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 30mm / 1.18” digit height 120° viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 30hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsBatteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hr endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 120mm x 175mm x 40mm / 4.72” x 6.89” x 1.57”Weight Including Batteries: 448g / 0.99lbBracket Compatibility: Velocitek ProStart Mast Bracket or any Tacktick Micro Compass bracket.GPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-5MWarranty: Two years

2. speed puck - looks like it is good for speed surfers, too

Speed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 27mm / 1.06” digit height 120 degree viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 20hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsData download requires Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6.Batteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hour endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 115mm / 4.5" diameter, 27mm / 1.06" thick.Weight Including Batteries: 295g / 0.65lbGPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-4AWarranty: Two years

your opinion?

Sorry I did not mentioned that both units work with parametrs described below:
"Speed is calculated by the GPS unit by measuring the Doppler shift in GPS signals. The device can be configured to record data every second, every 2 seconds or every 4 seconds. The SpeedPuck can store up to 20 hours of data when recording GPS data every 2 seconds.

prices are unfortunately very hi... 399 for speed puck and 499 use for prostart but especially prostart looks like very professional tool for those who are keeping focused on sailing, so it could be definitely suitable for windsurfers, too.

the most important functions of the prostart device (from the manual):

Speed, compass, and distance to line updated twice a second
? Count down start timer
? Header/Lift indicator updated twice a second
? Maximum and best 10 second average speed recall

Waterproof (IPX8) to 3m

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
11 Nov 2014 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

jarekg said..

jarekg said..
Hi I am quite new on this forum but topic of GPS measuring is hot for me - I found another interesting alternative for GT-31 unit from VELOCITEK. In fact they offer pro sailing machines on their website, there is good real time demo for these units as well and they are full waterproof + optimised for real time speed and position monitoring - definitely it is interesting and worth to check:

www.velocitek.com/

Technical SpecificationsSpeed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 30mm / 1.18” digit height 120° viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 30hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsBatteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hr endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 120mm x 175mm x 40mm / 4.72” x 6.89” x 1.57”Weight Including Batteries: 448g / 0.99lbBracket Compatibility: Velocitek ProStart Mast Bracket or any Tacktick Micro Compass bracket.GPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-5MWarranty: Two years

Speed Accuracy: ±0.2 KnotsHeading Resolution: 1°Display Update Rate: 2Hz (twice a second)Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)Display: 27mm / 1.06” digit height 120 degree viewing coneData Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded every 2 seconds, 20hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X and WindowsData download requires Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6.Batteries: 3 x AA, 20+ hour endurance, rechargeable or disposableDimensions: 115mm / 4.5" diameter, 27mm / 1.06" thick.Weight Including Batteries: 295g / 0.65lbGPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-4AWarranty: Two years

your opinion?

"Speed is calculated by the GPS unit by measuring the Doppler shift in GPS signals. The device can be configured to record data every second, every 2 seconds or every 4 seconds. The SpeedPuck can store up to 20 hours of data when recording GPS data every 2 seconds.

prices are unfortunately very hi... 399 for speed puck and 499 use for prostart but especially prostart looks like very professional tool for those who are keeping focused on sailing, so it could be definitely suitable for windsurfers, too.

? Count down start timer

Waterproof (IPX8) to 3m

My initial thoughts are the puck looks like a nice find and seems to tick a lot of boxes, but then my enthusiasm is killed off by the price...

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
11 Nov 2014 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

+1
expensive nice piece of equipment...

plettil
64 posts
12 Nov 2014 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe a bit too big to be used in windsurfing? Definitely for the pro start...and most obviously for the Puck.... They need to make a miniature version of it....

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
12 Nov 2014 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

jarekg said..

jarekg said..

www.velocitek.com/

your opinion?

? Count down start timer

Waterproof (IPX8) to 3m

What format does the Velocitek record data in? Is it UBX? If so it might have the other very important facility -that is to save the accuracy data to file. Some UBlox chips can also record at 5hz or 10z. Price has always been the killer with Velocitek, but if they have all the other stuff we need they might be worth a revisit.

lao shi
SA, 1299 posts
13 Nov 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Announcement on GPSTC

<div>The Canmore GP102 is now accepted for GPSTC data recording.
The unit is limited in that it does not allow the detailed data checking that the GT31 allows.
Therefore it is recommended that if you are looking to get to the upper levels of the rankings you should be using a GT31.

<div>
To enhance the ability to check top level data it is requested that any post in the top 15 of the individual rankings is also submitted to www.gps-speedsurfing.com

<div>Each team is responsible for checking data to keep the challenge as accurate as possible. If you are uncertain about the accuracy of a track please contact your team captain or use the contact link on the homepage.

<div>KA72.com is the easiest way for most posts to the challenge to be made and further analysis can be carried out using additional software. Please consider supporting the windsurfers who have put time in to developing software.
GPS Action Replay (www.gpsactionreplay.com)
GPS Results (www.gps-speed.com)
Real Speed (www.intellimass.com) Windows only

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
1 Dec 2014 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
geoITA said..
Brief report about my experience with the Canmore GP-102+.
Among other pros: first fix is very quick.
Among other cons: definitely is NOT IPX6 water resistant, it took just a few drops of water (almost humidity rather than water) inside a slightly leaky bag and my first unit is gone.

I have just had exactly the same experience. High level of humidity causing condensation on the inside of the screen. Unit died. However after baking for a few hours at 40C in the oven it seems to have recovered. The screen is still a bit dodgy but it does appear to be functional. So +1 on what geoITA said. be careful people, the unit has seriously crappy waterproofing. ( it certainly is not IPX6 )

WazzaYotty
QLD, 302 posts
2 Dec 2014 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Very difficult to see the display on Fangy's Canmore after a few runs.
Advantages of drying it out in the oven, however, include a beautiful and moist steamed fish supper .

Flashman
QLD, 74 posts
12 Dec 2014 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

I have read many of your posts regarding finding a suitable waterproof pouch for your GPS units. I have been using an
Overboard brand pouch for my car key and IPhone for the last few years without any leakages.

Here is the link. http://www.over-board.com.au/waterproof-iphone-case-aqua.html

I am also about to purchase a Canmore 102 +, as my first introduction into GPSTC.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
13 Dec 2014 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Flashman said..
I have read many of your posts regarding finding a suitable waterproof pouch for your GPS units. I have been using an
Overboard brand pouch for my car key and IPhone for the last few years without any leakages.

Here is the link. http://www.over-board.com.au/waterproof-iphone-case-aqua.html

I am also about to purchase a Canmore 102 +, as my first introduction into GPSTC.

Hard to beat the Paqua waterproof pouches!!

rrdsailor
QLD, 120 posts
13 Dec 2014 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

I have been using these for quite a while with no issues. Less than $5 from BigW.
Also just found out today that you need to delete the files in the Activities folder
on the Canmore otherwise when it is full the unit stops recording data.

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
13 Dec 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rrdsailor said..
I have been using these for quite a while with no issues. Less than $5 from BigW.
Also just found out today that you need to delete the files in the Activities folder

I have been using exactly the same( branded Sistema) but found getting dealt to in the waves was enough to get water past the seal. I now use a layer of lanolin grease on the seal- not a drop gets past. I still like SeaSkips solution the best, but I am too lazy to brave the alternate life forms that inhabit my local Kmart

Jimmy@Tas
TAS, 77 posts
15 Dec 2014 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

rrdsailor said..

I have been using exactly the same( branded Sistema) but found getting dealt to in the waves was enough to get water past the seal. I now use a layer of lanolin grease on the seal- not a drop gets past. I still like SeaSkips solution the best, but I am too lazy to brave the alternate life forms that inhabit my local Kmart

Where do you put the containers when sailing?

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
15 Dec 2014 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I mount mine on my helmet. It's important to me that I look stylish when I am on the water

rrdsailor
QLD, 120 posts
15 Dec 2014 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I Put mine in the Camelbak.

choco
SA, 4034 posts
31 Dec 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Pity this doesn't have a screen

www.canadagps.com/Qstarz1000eX.html

This one even records G forces imagine that in an alpha or high speed crash

www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/LT-Q6000-F.html

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Pity this doesn't have a screen

www.canadagps.com/Qstarz1000eX.html

Yeah. But it uses MTK GPS chip so no accuracy data in NMEA file. It may be a good backup to carry but not at that price.

Select to expand quote
choco said..
This one even records G forces imagine that in an alpha or high speed crash

www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/LT-Q6000-F.html

LOL! Again MTK chip and NMEA data so not really that great.

alex007
1 posts
31 Jan 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hello all!

This gps interrest me a lot!
What are the news with the FW modifications resquest to canmore? Will they put them in?

Otherwise, some people can send me .fit records please? (slaught (at) live (.) fr) I want to see what the gps record exactly.

Regards,
Alex.

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
3 Feb 2015 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, since there are no GT31s available is there a local shop selling the Canmore GPS? I can buy it online but would like to support a shop if possible. I will be hitting up the Perth shops and will post any findings.

I have a mate with a GT31 but he can't get it to record to the card. Can anyone shed some light? and yes it is a small 2g card. Power on/off, format etc etc doesn't seem to work or help.

Cheers Dave

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
3 Feb 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

I have a mate with a GT31 but he can't get it to record to the card. Can anyone shed some light? and yes it is a small 2g card. Power on/off, format etc etc doesn't seem to work or help.

Cheers Dave

Contacts inside the GT-31 could need respringing. Have done this with mine a couple of times when trouble reading card. As long as he doesn't worry about voiding warranty opening it up though. Also I've found cleaning the SD card contacts sometimes helps.

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
3 Feb 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
Hi guys, since there are no GT31s available is there a local shop selling the Canmore GPS? I can buy it online but would like to support a shop if possible. I will be hitting up the Perth shops and will post any findings.

Cheers Dave

So is it a new card that hasn't ever worked, or an old card that's stopped working?
If it's the later go with Sausages suggestion, but if it's brand new, then it's probably incompatible and playing with the contacts could do more damage than good.
It's not just the size of the card it's also the voltage, there is a list somewhere of compatible cards, but the sandisk seems the most common. a micro sandisk in an adapter also works.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
5 Feb 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

GT-31 provides power of 2.8VDC.

The following cards have been tested to work with GT-31:
SanDisk 2GB
Transcend 1GB
Kingston 2GB
PNY 2GB
Apacer 2GB 60X

Compatible/Suggested SD card to go with Locosys GT-31/BGT-31 or SD cards (<=2GB) with 2.8VDC(3.3VDC~2.7VDC) power input should work.

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for all the advice. I will pass it on and see if we can get it working,

Otherwise, is there a release date for the new Locosys and/or where can I buy a Canmore in Au? I will be asking the Perth shops this too on Sat,

25knots S-SW here in Busselton tomorrow arvo ! Any takers?

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
30 Mar 2015 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

I have been looking but cant find where it says the the Canmore 102 is MAC compatible? Does anyone know?

Cheers

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
30 Mar 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Fangy is using his with a mac, but I can't give you any details, maybe if you PM him?

PKenny
SA, 239 posts
31 Mar 2015 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
I have been looking but cant find where it says the the Canmore 102 is MAC compatible? Does anyone know?

Cheers

Yes, no problems.

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
10 Apr 2015 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a sail tonight(2010 JP Formula), and took the Canmore out. As you can see below, I'm using MyGPSFiles as it was the first thing I tried(google search). What are the best programs to use to look at your results? Is it worth paying the $ for better programs or is there a good free alternative? Thanks in advance.

Eric

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
10 Apr 2015 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

www.ka72.com/

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
11 Apr 2015 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks! Great site.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
12 Apr 2015 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

If you want to analyse your tracks and results in detail on your own computer, there are three excellent programs.

RealSpeed: This was the first, written in 2003-4 for the first 2004 GPS speed event at Sandy Point by Mal Wright. It is Windows only. I like it a lot. It still does things that the others don't do at all, or don't do as well. It allows for virtually unlimited category definitions and parameters. Unfortunately it has not been developed and updated for the last few years and can't upload results directly to GPS-SS or GPSTC. But it it highly recommended of in depth analysis and cheaper than the other two.

GPS-Results: This one is available in Windows, Apple Mac and Windows CE PDA versions. It is probably the most up to date program and has integrated uploading of results to GPS-SS and GPSTC. It is quite easy to use and the Windows Version also is the one used for analysis and validation of GPS records. It does all the main categories and the windows version allows for custom categories. Allows for Google earth or other sat maps to be loaded behind your track map. Developed by Manfred Fuchs in Germany and used by the GPS-SS site for it's auto analysis when you upload tracks. I personally use this one the most now that I mainly use a Mac, but go to the Windows version and RealSpeed for more in-depth analysis.

GPSActionReplay and GPSAction Replay - Pro: Written by Yann Mathet in France. GPSAR was the original version and is still free. GPSAR-Pro is the paid version and has far more capability. It can do some type of analysis that the others can't related to Jibe analysis and wind direction vectors and perhaps some others. This program is Java so it runs on any operating system that can run Java, including obviously Windows Mac and Linux. It has provision for Auto Upload of results and satellite imagery behind your track map. This has a strong following of devotees, but personally I find GPSAR-pro a bit unintuitive and complicated to use the advance features. There is comprehensive documentation online though for those who wish to delve into it.

You can download and try the free trial versions of all these programs before you decide if you want to buy them.

http://www.intellimass.com/RealSpeed/

www.gps-speed.com/download_e.html

gpsactionreplay.free.fr/index.php

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+" started by boardsurfr