WA, 2296 posts
2 Nov 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Blue ones work fine!??

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Nov 2015 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah....I never trusted those yellow ones either, got a green one, much more pb's with those !!

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
20 Nov 2015 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony

from polish forum: (translated by Bing)

Note: when turned on, you have to separately enable logging. Logging can be stopped at any moment. Connecting the device to the power supply or computer USB port also interrupts login. And at the end of a major flaw in the device (with which you can live), the discharge device causes active log file will not be saved! And it does not end. They will be damaged all saved archive logs in the device memory, which, however, continue to block the machine's memory. The memory can not be
delete from your device (delete logs or factory reset) or from within the program Canway (delete route or clear memory). We must therefore remember to not discharge the device, and archive logs as soon as you flip on a non-volatile memory.

Basically if you accidently turn it on or don't stop recording properly or let the battery run down, it will fill itself up with hidden files and not record tracks but will still show correct speeds etc on display. The Canmore memory will be full but you will be unable to empty the memory with Windows. However you may have a friend with Linux who can clear all that crap out for you and restore it to new. (thanks Mike.)

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
20 Nov 2015 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Yoyo. I'll ask my geeky friends and find someone who uses Linux.

In the meantime, I've purchased a GW-52 and whilst it seems to be working, it's probably the least intuitive device I have ever used...

Ian K
WA, 4049 posts
6 Dec 2015 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said...
Merci Sean

Yeah I have no problems identifying the "STOP LOG".

Everything else seems to be recording fine with the full stats being generated etc following a session with the exception of the map and the ability to upload anything to KA72.

Just been fiddling with mine. I've found ka72 straight away accepts and processes the .fit files. The files are in the " activities " directory that shows up when you plug it into your computer. I'm using a mac.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
6 Dec 2015 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ian. Yeah the .fit files show up as normal, however when KA72 (or any other GPS downloader site / program) goes to download, all it picks up is a blank file.

The .fit file appears as something with data on it however as I said, it simply will not load (see below).

Look's like a valid file to me!

However once it loads, it is essentially an empty file...

Ian K
WA, 4049 posts
6 Dec 2015 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Here's what I get in "Step 2 - prepare for Posting"

Step 2 - Prepare for Posting

These tracks have been uploaded. Make any final adjustments then "Submit" to see the calculated results.

Details of your File(s)
006.fit File Visibility: Public

Permission Date Location Activity #Points Length
Public 12/5/2015 Bulli, NSW, AU Windsurfing 1523 6.49 km

Submit

I was then able to hit the "submit button and get the data on GPSTC. Did the "Fail" in the file name come up automatically? The file I had was just named " 006.fit" .
At this step 2 I also get a summary of location, number of points and km covered. So it sounds like KA72 is not getting the information from your raw file.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
6 Dec 2015 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah exactly. There is something corrupting the information. Here's an old file to show what I was receiving prior to the device playing up...

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
6 Dec 2015 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Tony, it says your file is only 476bytes, that's very small, so yes close to an empty file.
The Canmore's have a problem with filling the memory, not allowing any new data, is it possible that this is your problem?
If you look at "properties" when the Canmore is connected, do you see available memory?

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
7 Dec 2015 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Very well noted Mike! Thanks!!

As you can see below, there's a distinct difference between the "TonyPolony Fail.fit" file (476 bytes) and the "005.fit" file (290 KB).

Clearly there's something blocking the data to be loaded into the internal memory of the device. So as you said, I checked the available memory of the Canmore device...

...and yep, it seems as though there may be a problem the fact that it shows "--bytes (-- KB on disk)" and a capacity of 1MB with 2.2 MB available (???)

So I decided to open my "Disk Utility" on the MAC and run both a 'first aid' and 'erase' option. Essentially, and as you can see below, this made no difference.

Clearly the device is full of s#@t and needs a linux enema!

I'll see how it looks once once I find an uber geek

boardsurfr
WA, 2335 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said..

...and yep, it seems as though there may be a problem the fact that it shows "--bytes (-- KB on disk)" and a capacity of 1MB with 2.2 MB available (???)

The capacity should be 3.1 MB. The fact that it's showing just 1 MB means your file system has become corrupted. That can happen when a device looses power while writing data. On newer systems like your Mac, it usually does not happen because the file systems are "journaled", which allows recovery from such errors.

Unfortunately, the Canmore uses one of the most ancient file systems in existence: FAT12. That's the file system for floppy disks. You cannot choose that as an format option in any new utility like Disk Utility; even current Windows disk tools do not handle this properly (I tried a couple of free ones, they do not even recognize the FAT12 format correctly).

To fix this, you'll need to re-format the Canmore from the command line. That can (probably) be done on OS X using mtools, but you'd need to be familiar with installing and using command line tools. If you're not, asking your local Linux expert for help is a safer bet.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
11 Dec 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

As you may be aware, Manfreds great GPSresults program allows you to directly access the Canmore's FIT files but as it does not (supposedly) have course info when you highlight max speed etc on the track it just produces a vertical line rather than highlight the section of track where you did the max. This does not usually bother me as being a one trick pony I just usually squirt into Liptons on port tack in a SW seabreeze and my best speeds are invariably running due North.

However if you run East/West it is a bit less than ideal.

Anyway I found a work around. It seems there IS course info on Canmore's FIT files, it is just not shown when you use gpsBabel (or Canway) to convert to gpx or assess direct with gpsResults.

So the drill is , Open the Canmore FIT file with gpsBabel and convert into Suunto.sdf, then convert the Suunto.sdf file into a gpx file using gpsBabel again. Then open the gpx file with gpsResults. Voila !

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
13 Dec 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I have an issue with my canmore. I sailed today and did PB 32.5km distance but when i download i only get 6 ish kms. I go back into the canmore and the file is there with the 32.5 kms distance. Any ideas on what i did wrong?
Cheers Dave

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
13 Dec 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
Hi guys, I have an issue with my canmore. I sailed today and did PB 32.5km distance but when i download i only get 6 ish kms. I go back into the canmore and the file is there with the 32.5 kms distance. Any ideas on what i did wrong?
Cheers Dave

What colour is it?

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
13 Dec 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said...
BSN101 said..
Cheers Dave

What colour is it?

Yellow

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
14 Dec 2015 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

there you go

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
14 Dec 2015 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

'Polony' corrupted file. All sorted

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
16 Dec 2015 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

My issue was a corrupted file system, should have total size as 3.2MB - shows only 1MB.

Used Windows 7 machine to reformat. Did not need to fdisk(partition).
Windows XP and Win 7 still recognise FAT12 and will format OK.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
16 Dec 2015 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Tried your method BSN101 - no difference. You're too clever for me! You must have gone to a fancy school in a real posh part of the country or something

That said, yours indicates that it has zero bytes available. Have you tried it out since the re-format?

I'm giving mine to a Linux dood tomorrow. See how we go...

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
16 Dec 2015 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Mr Polony I have tried it and it works. Say I'm slow though?!?! I'll reformat it again??
Reformatted on windows computer thru settings and chose the Canmore memory. I use apple at home as you do so that might be one thing or just not ejecting it properly. Mine comes back if I leave it in usb port too long after I have ejected.

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
16 Dec 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Woops I've missed looking at this thread.
I've recently looked at Yoyo's Canmore with a similar problem. Apparently if the battery goes flat, it produces a whole pile of rubbish data and saves it all in a "hidden" file.
If you unhide this file and delete it's contents you should have full memory back. The other sneaky thing Linux does, when you delte stuff, (ie your tracks), it doesn't actually delete them, but puts them in a recycle or trash folder that's also hidden. With the canmore connected to your computer, check the computers rubbish bin, there may just be all your old tracks in it. If so just empty the rubbish bin.
I haven't connected a Canmore to a windows machine, but I believe somebody else here suggested, looking at properties or settings in windows explorer you can make the hidden file visible.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
17 Dec 2015 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

It is a pity about this hiccup with the Canmore because when it works, it works great. Yesterday it almost exactly mirrored the tracks and speeds of my Navi. Once I corrected the 15 sec time difference it was almost impossible to tell there were 2 tracks superimposed one on the other. In the handful of places where I could see the difference it turned out that was because the Canmore missed a recording for a second so did not follow the accel/decal exactly. This happened only a few times on the 2 hour track.

So things to suggest to Canmore

1) they need to sort memory/userability problem

2) Nautical miles/knots display

3) Record satellites.

4) A last run Max, in large font should be displayed when you stop (no need to see 0.0km/hr when you are standing still).

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
17 Dec 2015 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

My Canmore didnt go flat in this instance. After a session it gets plugged in for the download and recharged too.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
17 Dec 2015 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yoyo said..
It is a pity about this hiccup with the Canmore because when it works, it works great. Yesterday it almost exactly mirrored the tracks and speeds of my Navi. Once I corrected the 15 sec time difference it was almost impossible to tell there were 2 tracks superimposed one on the other. In the handful of places where I could see the difference it turned out that was because the Canmore missed a recording for a second so did not follow the accel/decal exactly. This happened only a few times on the 2 hour track.

So things to suggest to Canmore

1) they need to sort memory/userability problem

2) Nautical miles/knots display

3) Record satellites.

4) A last run Max, in large font should be displayed when you stop (no need to see 0.0km/hr when you are standing still).

edit from earlier post . Max speed 0.02 knot diff (Canmore less) and average 0.04 less.... good enough for me.

BSN101 I'm not sure what's going on with these memory problems... I read some where that if you let it run down you are stuffed... I turned up for a sail and found it dead. It was full of charge the day before so I just assumed it had accidentally been turned on and run flat. I could not fix it , no tracks but 3 mgeg of memory full, gave it to Mike who did some magic on his Linux machine and hey Presto... 3 megs of memory back.

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
17 Dec 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

We didn't even look for hidden files. Bottom line is a reformat either way. Hint might be not to mention it anywhere near Mr Polony cos he started the memory loss (I think) epidemic. ??
Dave

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
17 Dec 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
We didn't even look for hidden files. Bottom line is a reformat either way. Hint might be not to mention it anywhere near Mr Polony cos he started the memory loss (I think) epidemic. ??
Dave

If a reformat works OK that's fine, but just deleting all the junk is easier.
I think I remember Fangy having a problem like this when he first got his, and as far as I remember it was just old tracks he'd deleted, in the hidden trash file.

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
17 Dec 2015 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

That's good to here, nothing to major wrong. Are there any OS forums about windsurfing with the Canmore?
Dave

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
17 Dec 2015 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

all I can find in google is the previous thread about yoyo's problem.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/Canmore-missing-memory/?page=-2?src=rss

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
18 Dec 2015 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Don't get caught in the Google search bubble loop. Try to fool it into thinking you are someone else at a different computer and you may get what you are looking for and not what Google thinks you want based on prior searches or who pays them the most to be on page one.

Read wglowa posts ..

translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.hotis.pl/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D72%26t%3D9204&prev=search

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
21 Dec 2015 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

...and the Linux enema worked a treat! All back to working order!

I think the biggest thing you need to ensure is to pull the USB from the computer "the exact second" the device has ejected. Otherwise, it will reload and if you disconnect when it's doing this, the memory will fill with the corrupted files.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance! I now have two functional GPS devices!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+" started by boardsurfr