Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+

Created by boardsurfr > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2014
sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
12 Apr 2015 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sailquik,
Great rundown on the programmes - we should put this on the GPSTC under "Guides".

Ezric
NSW, 183 posts
12 Apr 2015 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Great reply Sailquick! These are the sort of software I'd like to try out.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but will all these programs run the FIT files from a Canmore?

I did find the real speed site before but it only mentions the Garmin GPS's on its download page so was worried it might not support Canmore/FIT files.

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
12 Apr 2015 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

As sail quick says real speed hasn't been updated for a while, so I'm fairly sure it won't recognise .fit files, but you should be able to convert them using gpsbabel, you'll need to google that to find the instructions and download site.

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
12 Apr 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

And I agree with sausage, we should post Andrew's comments on the site.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
14 Apr 2015 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
And I agree with sausage, we should post Andrew's comments on the site.

Be my guest.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
14 Apr 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

AFAIK, it is only GPS-results that handles the Canmore version of the .FIT file natively. But it is not hard to convert that file to .GPX and then they all handle it.

MattDowse
NSW, 173 posts
28 Apr 2015 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

What do I need to do to it to set it up for the GPSTC?

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
28 Apr 2015 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Matt, Do you mean the Canmore GP102 or GPS Results?

MattDowse
NSW, 173 posts
28 Apr 2015 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry the Canmore gp102 as the GT31 has a few things to do before you use it!
The MT Best web site had a good explanion on what needs to done to the GT31.

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
28 Apr 2015 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

ok I have to organize some grub for the kids , but in the meantime, assuming you have a Windows machine, install the Canway software And plug the unit into to your computer and make sure it recognizes the device at the correct com port. I will be back later...

MattDowse
NSW, 173 posts
28 Apr 2015 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Fangman
I found this
boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2014/07/getting-started-with-canmore-gp-102-gps.html
Is this correct?
Matt

fangman
WA, 1598 posts
28 Apr 2015 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

oh yeah - good stuff, I forgot about this blog - Yep it's spot on! Thanks for doing that, you saved me a heap of typing

ClueySolutions
1 posts
31 May 2015 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,
I stock and sell both Canmore and Qstarz in Australia.
I have keep stock not far from Newcastle and have all the mounts and spares on hand.

If you ever need any help please drop me a line at sales@icluey.com or www.clueysolutions.com.au

Happy to do bulk deals..

PS Mods please edit this if required as I was just trying to help out some of the members asking where to buy locally.

Cheers
Ray

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
2 Jun 2015 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Very happy with the Canmore I got from them (apart from the fact they offered free postage 2 days after I paid for mine :-(( ).

So far it seems very accurate apart from the first 10 seconds or so of a track. Whilst there is no HDOP or sat info recorded on the .fit file the elevation is a give away. My first 1/2 dozen track files usually start at -270 to -180m elevation and over the next 10 seconds gradually work back to +- a couple of metres. This often corresponds to the track jumping around the carpark on Googlemaps so I just delete the first part of the track using the elevation as a pseudo HDOP guide.

The 15 seconds added to the recorded track is annoying. I can not modify it on GPSAR. the track time mod only goes the one way it seems to me. You can make the Navi GT match the Canmore by giving it 15 more seconds (and hence incorrect time) but you can not correct the Canmore time stamp - just make it further out. I don't use GPSAR much so maybe I am missing something or Maybe Yann needs to make some mods so you can set "current time" to values less than the start of the track.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Jun 2015 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

I was told by a local gps guru that the canmore (which I really like using) is off by approx 16 sec because it wasn't updated to the change of gps time

wikipedia : As of July 2012, GPS time is 16 seconds ahead of UTC because of the leap second added to UTC June 30, 2012

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

boardsurfr
WA, 2335 posts
3 Jun 2015 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yoyo said..

The 15 seconds added to the recorded track is annoying. I can not modify it on GPSAR. the track time mod only goes the one way it seems to me. You can make the Navi GT match the Canmore by giving it 15 more seconds (and hence incorrect time) but you can not correct the Canmore time stamp - just make it further out. I don't use GPSAR much so maybe I am missing something or Maybe Yann needs to make some mods so you can set "current time" to values less than the start of the track.

Can be done. Make sure your GT-31 track starts first; if necessary, delete the start of your Canmore track. Select the Canmore track in the Tracks Toolbox. Move to 15 or 16 seconds before the start of the Canmore track. Press "Time Shifting". Done.

If you don't have a GT-31 track but want to adjust the time of the Canmore track anyway, just import the same track twice, delete 16 seconds in one copy, and then shift it forward. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but it can be done.

John340
QLD, 3138 posts
3 Jun 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gents, this forum discussion and the others of similar vein is fascinating, but I'm finding it hard to keep up.

The question that needs to be answered for IT challenged sailors like me is - Now that the GT31 is almost impossible to purchase, what should we purchase, when as a result of malfunction, we have to replace it with a device that is compliant on GPS Team Challenge?

Will we have an answer to this question before spring?

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
5 Jun 2015 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I saw an answer to this question somewhere recently, but:

- I am fairly sure the GW-52 will be on the market by spring and approved for GPSTC and GPS-SS

- The Canmore is approved now with the warning that speeds from it cannot be verified so it should not be used if you are going after the top rankings. (as with other older trackpoint GPS's)

- I think the GPS-Logit app will also be approved soon for posting and is better than the Canmore for data verifiability, but again should not be used if going for the top rankings.

- The Thingsee One will be out this month and is already available for pre-order @ US$299. I understand the software is well underway in development and should certainly be sorted and approved by Spring.

At this stage it looks like the GX-52 (5hz) and Thingsee One (10hz) will be added to the GT-31(1hz) GPS's approved for records when they have been though final testing. (they are the only ones where speeds can be fully verified).

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
5 Jun 2015 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I saw an answer to this question somewhere recently, but:

- I am fairly sure the GW-52 will be on the market by spring and approved for GPSTC and GPS-SS

- The Canmore is approved now with the warning that speeds from it cannot be verified so it should not be used if you are going after the top rankings. (as with other older trackpoint GPS's)

- I think the GPS-Logit app will also be approved soon for posting and is better than the Canmore for data verifiability, but again should not be used if going for the top rankings.

- The Thingsee One will be out this month and is already available for pre-order @ US$299. I understand the software is well underway in development and should almost certainly be sorted and approved by Spring.

At this stage it looks like the GX-52 (5hz) and Thingsee One (10hz) will be added to the GT-31(1hz) GPS's approved for records when they have been though final testing. (they are the only ones where speeds can be fully verified).

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
19 Jun 2015 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone suggest how to get a GOPRO housing made a little larger (i.e. to fit a different device in but still use GOPRO attachment system)?

Because the Canmore is just a little too big to fit. And i don't want to cut off the moulded loop on the canmore

Or would the original GOPRO housing be bigger than the current ones?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
19 Jun 2015 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

can't remember who did it but I did the same, bought the cheap Target copy of the go pro (29$), The gp102+ fits perfectly in it ! I then shove it in an armband.
Or you could use the attachments that come with it

http://www.target.com.au/p/sports-action-camera-72-p-tovs-1/55743051

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Dang!! never thought of hijacking a GOPRO copy... sort of ironic

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
20 Jun 2015 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Great call on the Target cheapie camera! Picked one up from my local store in town this morning. $29 - it will not only serve as a great protective mount for the GP-102+ but will also allow me to experiment with taking some video without costing me the outlay of a full blown GOPRO. Just reading the destructions, it also can serve as a dash-camera for the car with a loop recording function. Might just use the camera for that and the case for my GPS device.

Anyway, I placed some soft rubber underneath the mount and inside the case to make the GP-102+ fit snuggly. Cable ties on the buckles to lock them in too.

Thought that installing on the back of my helmet would probably protect it best. Any other thoughts on where to mount it (boom end / mast (above boom mount)???

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
20 Jun 2015 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said..
>>>>>>>>

Thought that installing on the back of my helmet would probably protect it best. Any other thoughts on where to mount it (boom end / mast (above boom mount)???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looks like the safest place, for sure, and satellite view should be at least as good as on the upper arm. But anywhere else is going to have movement problems, especially when you gybe, so if you want accurate alphas, keep it on your head.

BSN101
WA, 2296 posts
20 Jun 2015 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyPolony said...
Great call on the Target cheapie camera! Picked one up from my local store in town this morning. $29 - it will not only serve as a great protective mount for the GP-102+ but will also allow me to experiment with taking some video without costing me the outlay of a full blown GOPRO. Just reading the destructions, it also can serve as a dash-camera for the car with a loop recording function. Might just use the camera for that and the case for my GPS device.

Anyway, I placed some soft rubber underneath the mount and inside the case to make the GP-102+ fit snuggly. Cable ties on the buckles to lock them in too.

I'm off to Target on Monday.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
22 Jun 2015 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
22 Jun 2015 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

The seal seems really good everywhere except the USB cable port. Which does not seem sealed at all apart from the plug. My guess is that is where water gets in.

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
2 Nov 2015 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Okay so I've had this unit fail on me three times now. Two of these times have involved me achieving PBs so I'm not a happy camper!

Each time it will seem to be recording well with average and top speeds etc being displayed on the unit however when I attempt to upload to KA72 (or other similar sites), there is no information transferred. What I have noted on the side is that instead of seeing tracks on the map like this:

... I am seeing a screen like this:

After the first failure, I restored the device back to factory settings which enabled me to record and upload information into KA72 after my following session. This continued for another six sessions where all my data was being uploaded on KA72 without any dramas. After Saturday's failure (did I say it cost me a PB?), I thought that the memory must have been full so I reset the device, thinking it would rectify the situation.

I went for a sail yesterday and despite there being no other files on the device, I was met with the dreaded "no information".

The only change to the settings has been changing the Log Rule time from 5 sec to 1 sec.

If anyone else has had this problem and can offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. GPS state titles in three weeks at my local watering hole and I'm really hoping I can sort this out.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Nov 2015 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I've noticed you have to be very careful when stopping the recording.

I've seen guys turning the device off thinking they had pressed "stop log", but clearly hadn't.

As for your issue I've never heard of it, despite more than 20 guys using it here.

Hope you can get it to work properly before your next race !

Not helpful.... sorry

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
2 Nov 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Merci Sean

Yeah I have no problems identifying the "STOP LOG".

Everything else seems to be recording fine with the full stats being generated etc following a session with the exception of the map and the ability to upload anything to KA72.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"First results with the Canmore GPS GP-102+" started by boardsurfr