Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

GPS-Logit

Created by sailquik > 9 months ago, 29 May 2015
sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
3 Jul 2015 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

A bit more detail comparing the Sony Experia E1/GPS-Logit with GT-31 and GW-52 in the Alpha situation in the GW-52 thread.

AUS 808
WA, 455 posts
3 Jul 2015 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

This looks like it could be a bit more fun than plain GPS sailing
I would like to try the talky bit, as this would really teach you where to actually go in a gust rather than blindly hoping for the best.

I have a cheap Android phone 4.2 but can't even see where to activate the GPS function, I'm sure it is supposed to have it

Is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found?

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
3 Jul 2015 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

in my ace 3 it's in settings>connections, there's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Data usage and More networks. If bluetooth doesn't appear there in yours, your phone may not have it. Do a search for it's specs.

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
3 Jul 2015 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
808 said..
This looks like it could be a bit more fun than plain GPS sailing
I would like to try the talky bit, as this would really teach you where to actually go in a gust rather than blindly hoping for the best.

That is exactly why I have always worn my GPS on my front arm where I could look at the speed as I sailed.

AUS 808
WA, 455 posts
5 Jul 2015 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
in my ace 3 it's in settings>connections, there's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Data usage and More networks. If bluetooth doesn't appear there in yours, your phone may not have it. Do a search for it's specs.

Mike, are you saying the GPS setting should be in the same place as Bluetooth setting etc or it is somehow associated with Bluetooth

Daffy, you must have better eyesight than me, I need reading glasses to read the screen and I can't sail with reading glasses

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
5 Jul 2015 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, but the downside of being a bit shortsighted is that I can't see much at distance!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
5 Jul 2015 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

808, I think decrepit is saying the gps activation is in the same setting "area" as the blutooth, it's sometimes called localisation

Best thing is to go to the playstore (but you need a google/gmail account) and download a tool bar which has all the buttons (wifi/blutooth/gps/plane mode/etc) and goes on your main menu screen

AUS 808
WA, 455 posts
5 Jul 2015 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Sean,
I found the "Location" settings which I had turned off because it sounds like your phone & info is accessable when turned on.
I downloaded the GPSlogitV1.18 which expires today

Still no GPS signal though, do I need to download Google maps or similar?

Probably need that toolbar as well to get the Icons on the main screen instead of going through all the settings & launching from there.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
5 Jul 2015 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

808 you shouldn't need google map, what phone do you have ?

have a look at this :
www.droid-life.com/2013/01/30/how-to-enable-gps-and-other-location-services-beginners-guide/

Haven't tried logit yet but if he hasn't done it Manfred should add an automatic start of gps when you open logit.
most gps apps do

S018
SA, 338 posts
5 Jul 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Each phone uses slightly different names to describe the same thing.
lots of Android phones have a "slide down" menu, slides down from the top when you slide your finger down the screen, from the top.
Or, get to GPS via, Settings, probably called "Location settings", if data is turned off, it uses gps only, no data.
Power management settings often turn GPS off and other things if battery is low, check that if you can.

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
5 Jul 2015 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
808 said..
decrepit said..

Mike, are you saying the GPS setting should be in the same place as Bluetooth setting etc or it is somehow associated with Bluetooth

>>>

Hmmm, sorry, oldtimers thingo kicking in. OK so in my ace 3 if I swipe the home screen down, there's 5 icons across the top, GPS is one of them.

However the xperia is a bit different, you have to go to "quick settings" then you get "settings" "wifi", "bluetooth", "location", "Location" and a few more.
Location I assume means activating any location means the phone has, ie wifi and mobile transmitters as well as the GPS.

If you go to "location" under settings you can set device only, which just activates the gps not wifi or mobile

fangman
WA, 1529 posts
6 Jul 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

V19 available now

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
7 Jul 2015 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Tried my $45 Amazon, Pyle bluetooth waterproof earphones today. Very pleased with them. The choice of earplugs mean they actually fit me and don't fall out. I haven't quite got used to the controls on the back of my head yet, but pause/play, track back and forward, and volume up and down are there.
The big plus is the phone is in the good old reliable paqua.

Unlike the $12 waterproof pouch and earphones, everything was loud and clear. I put this down to the earplugs $12 earplugs not fitting properly and coming out as far as the helmet let them.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
8 Jul 2015 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

^^^Mike,

Which model number did you purchase?

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
8 Jul 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
^^^Mike,

This is from my Amazon feedback letter.

Select to expand quote

Pyle PSWBT7BK Active Sport Water Resistant Bluetooth Hands Free Wireless Stereo Headphones and Headset with Built in Microphone for Call Answering (Black)

I was a bit concerned about the "water resistant" bit, but the specs say "ipx8 marine grade construction"
I'm not thoroughly convinced though, the control centre piece is only held in by the tension of the headband, and relies on a plastic to plastic seal. But this sits on the back of the head, in my case just below the helmet, so it's probably protected from most crashes. I can wear it so it's completely under the back of the helmet, but this restricts my head movement a bit.

I guess time will tell just how water proof it is.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
8 Jul 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

John340 said..
^^^Mike,

This is from my Amazon feedback letter.

Pyle PSWBT7BK Active Sport Water Resistant Bluetooth Hands Free Wireless Stereo Headphones and Headset with Built in Microphone for Call Answering (Black)

I was a bit concerned about the "water resistant" bit, but the specs say "ipx8 marine grade construction"
I'm not thoroughly convinced though, the control centre piece is only held in by the tension of the headband, and relies on a plastic to plastic seal. But this sits on the back of the head, in my case just below the helmet, so it's probably protected from most crashes. I can wear it so it's completely under the back of the helmet, but this restricts my head movement a bit.

I guess time will tell just how water proof it is.

Mike,

Thanks, this is the model I'm also looking at. I've read some of the reviews. They are mixed, some good and some bad in relation to being able to be regularly immersed. They should be OK for windsurfing and the occasional immersion, but will most likely fail after multiple crash situations. As you say, time will tell.

The best price from Amazon delivered is now $68 AUD so you got a good deal for $45 AUD.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
8 Jul 2015 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-Wireless-Bluetooth-Sports-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-Swimming-Black-/400738872366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d4de5ec2e

These look exactly the same as Mike's. A$41.95 delivered from China

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
8 Jul 2015 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Mike,

Thanks, this is the model I'm also looking at. I've read some of the reviews. They are mixed, some good and some bad in relation to being able to be regularly immersed. >>>

The most negative reviews I saw was about the lack of range, seemed like people were leaving there phone at one end of a pool and doing laps, the music cut out when they submerged, and at the other end of the pool. Neither of these will worry us.

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
8 Jul 2015 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Heard 30 for the first time today, went on for 4 or more seconds, so I was sure I'd get a 30kt 2sec, I was disappointed to see a 29.5
As speed chat doesn't do decimal places, (would take too long I think) anything greater than 29.5 is rounded up to 30.
Something to keep in mind if you're chasing a PB.

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
8 Jul 2015 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another interesting alpha comparison between the logit and the gw52, from today's Fangy session.

gw52/logit alphas 8/7/15

gw52
1, 22.03 12:51:32
2, 21.67 13:05:43
3, 19.86 12:50:21
4, 18.14 13:18:47
5, 17.21 12:52:59

logit
1, 22.02 13:05:43
2, 21.92 12:51:33
3, 19.92 12:50:21
4, 18.90 13:18:47
5, 17.17 12:52:59

At first inspection of the numbers they look close enough, but when you check the actual alphas, the first two are reversed.

Red is Logit, yellow GW52
This is the GW52 #1 alpha Logit #2

This is the gw52 #2 Logit #1 alpha

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
9 Jul 2015 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Mike. Were these 'Logit results from a Sony Xperia?

I assume you used fixed 5hz in the GW-52?

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
8 Jul 2015 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Mike. Were these 'Logit results from a Sony Xperia?

I assume you used fixed 5hz in the GW-52?

Yes to both Andrew.
GW52 on my head, Xperia on my right arm.

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
9 Jul 2015 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
>>>>>

The best price from Amazon delivered is now $68 AUD so you got a good deal for $45 AUD.

Just checked the invoice it was US$46 not AUD. think it came to about AUD$51, must have been on special.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
9 Jul 2015 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

I placed my order yesterday and expect delivery latter this month.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
9 Jul 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Mike, Maybe the phone is too busy talking to you to notice that you have changed direction?

dweller
NSW, 134 posts
10 Jul 2015 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Something I have been playing with recently is overlaying the gps speeds onto the video as a speedo dial. Having a start button on GPS-logit makes it really simple to start the phone and video cameras at the same time making syncing a breeze.

This weekend is looking good for Primbee so just to check when does v1.19 expire?

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
10 Jul 2015 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

dweller said..
>>>>>

This weekend is looking good for Primbee so just to check when does v1.19 expire?

That question is answered here.
www.gps-speed.com/gpslogit.html

decrepit
WA, 12095 posts
10 Jul 2015 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yoyo has just made a good point, speed chat in km/hr has about half the digital error of it in knots. So basically in km/hr you get a speech output to within half a knot instead of a whole knot.
Think I'll give this a try next time, it should make speed chat more effective.

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
10 Jul 2015 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Picked up my Xpera E1 from Mr Smith on the way home from work this afternoon. Its on charge and tomorrow I attempt to download the app and get up and running.

dweller
NSW, 134 posts
11 Jul 2015 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the link Decrepit v1.19 expires on the 12th July. Does anyone know if that's the day of the 12th or the end of the 12th?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GPS-Logit" started by sailquik