Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009

Created by hardie > 9 months ago, 8 Aug 2008
Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
10 Aug 2008 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

mikey100 said...

Sounds great, tho being the week before the Qld school holidays may make it difficult for those with school-aged kids.....or those who work in schools. Pity it wasnt the following week.

Yes thats what I thought ..... BUT some schools finish the assessment a week before the hols and it can be OK to take an extra week. Well that's what my kid thinks anyways

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
10 Aug 2008 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

My young fella's in year 11, we've janked him out the week early before school hols to go camping, check with the school Mike might be OK.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
10 Aug 2008 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Mikey100 a school teacher so he wil have to yank himself out a week early.
Having it a week later might not suit the tides.

ta Vando

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
10 Aug 2008 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Lake Placid caravan park is next door to me, beautiful spot with camp sites, caravan sites & cabins, my wife can even run some of us into town.

mikey100
QLD, 1052 posts
12 Aug 2008 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

True Vando.

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
13 Aug 2008 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Re gear for Green Island. I recommend to bring a pair of sand shoes or booties because to get from Rigging area to Low Tide sailing strip requires a walk over coral rubble in about shin deep water. Because we are bare foot sailors we used to take a bit of cord and tie them to the coral out there. There are plenty of areas out there where you can stand and have a rest if required.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
13 Aug 2008 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Herbylyn said...

Re gear for Green Island. I recommend to bring a pair of sand shoes or booties because to get from Rigging area to Low Tide sailing strip requires a walk over coral rubble in about shin deep water. Because we are bare foot sailors we used to take a bit of cord and tie them to the coral out there. There are plenty of areas out there where you can stand and have a rest if required.

Where's the bar going to go then?

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
13 Aug 2008 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

A mud map by the late Rick McCaskel.
Where Rick has marked high tide sailing is flat at a med tide and on a highter tide there is a big area of flat to the left of the island and a little behind. When good these spots will have small chop, but where Rick has marked low tide sailing goes to glass no matter how windy. I'm fairly sure this is when Cam has picked his comp

Why not a race from Green to Yorkey's on last day, that should be down wind all the way

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
14 Aug 2008 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

From the GTC link to the event site......

FNQ mob in conjunction with Green Island Resort & Quicksilver connections
would like to invite all serious speed sailors to
GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009.

OK, I'm keen to visit but could hardly call myself serious,

Is the event open to anyone willing to have a go or is there a minimum standard to enter.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
14 Aug 2008 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

sailpilot said...

From the GTC link to the event site......

FNQ mob in conjunction with Green Island Resort & Quicksilver connections
would like to invite all serious speed sailors to
GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009.

OK, I'm keen to visit but could hardly call myself serious,

Is the event open to anyone willing to have a go or is there a minimum standard to enter.

I'd say your more than welcome
I'll be in it and I've only got freeride gear, I'm hoping to see a couple of guns in action
There'd be worst places to hang out in winter

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
15 Aug 2008 2:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hmmmmm............. After todays session in Antarctic conditions I am pretty tempted.......

Troppo
WA, 887 posts
15 Aug 2008 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

mad if you dont

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
19 Aug 2008 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Cam was at Green Island today, he said it was howling

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
19 Aug 2008 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, did they name the Island after the colour of the arrows on Seabreeze?

I think my smallest sail (5.0) may be way too big upthere.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
19 Aug 2008 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

firiebob said...

Cam was at Green Island today, he said it was howling

Thats incredible. Clearly the windsurfer who doesn't need to work and is indepently wealthy would spend the summer in WA, probably based at Lancelin or Geralton and winter in FNQ probably at Cairns.

I will not be attending this year but if it becomes an annual event I'd like to attend some day.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
20 Aug 2008 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Mcleod said...

Low tide Northern Speed run goes off -same as eastern speed run for gear .

Bring spare fins !!

Regards,Cam

BRING SPARE FINS!!!!!

Whats the deal there. Is there a good chance of wrecking my $400 speed fins?

That could definitely be a deal breaker!!!

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
20 Aug 2008 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

Cam Mcleod said...

Low tide Northern Speed run goes off -same as eastern speed run for gear .

Bring spare fins !!

Regards,Cam

BRING SPARE FINS!!!!!

Whats the deal there. Is there a good chance of wrecking my $400 speed fins?

That could definitely be a deal breaker!!!

only if you're not careful

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
21 Aug 2008 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic sounds really good. I will make the trip as I was looking for somewhere warm to go next winter for a windsurfing trip. Will be great if I get to attend 2 Qld speed sailing events next year!

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
21 Aug 2008 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

hi Sailquick - Eastern Speed Run is open & very safe until tide drops to 1.6m so its a matter of getting those times sorted out in advance.
Northern Speed Run has bommies in various spots which could be damaging -we'll set up buoys on these to reduce the risk -helps to sail with polarised glasses however.
Should only take an hour or 2 to familiarise yourself with this
Hope this helps-we'd love to see you up here !!

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
21 Aug 2008 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Mcleod said...

hi Sailquick - Eastern Speed Run is open & very safe until tide drops to 1.6m so its a matter of getting those times sorted out in advance.
Northern Speed Run has bommies in various spots which could be damaging -we'll set up buoys on these to reduce the risk -helps to sail with polarised glasses however.
Should only take an hour or 2 to familiarise yourself with this
Hope this helps-we'd love to see you up here !!

Ah.... ok...... I am not noted for being very careful with my fins but there is a big difference between soft sand and hard coral heads.

I will have to mend my ways for sure.

Still temped. Have to sell the family on a trip north to a warm sunny place with with white sandy beaches and palm trees... ah, come to think about it, that should not be too hard.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
21 Aug 2008 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...
Have to sell the family on a trip north to a warm sunny place with with white sandy beaches and palm trees... ah, come to think about it, that should not be too hard.

Sailquick,
How much are you selling the family for on the trip up? I might be interested as my 4.5yo twins are driving me crackers.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009" started by hardie