Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

GTC 2013: The Need For Renewal

Created by hardie > 9 months ago, 11 Dec 2012
hardie
WA, 4082 posts
11 Dec 2012 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Guyz & Galz I'm worn out with the whole GTC thing. I've become an even more Grumpy Old Man than I already am.

I'd like someone to either replace me and help Ben out, or if Ben wants out too, to take over the whole thing.

Now is your chance! Who wants to take over? Dont whinge if you don't like who takes over, take responsibility and do something about it now!

Special Mentions:

Ben for the incredible work on the technical side of things!
Paul & Annie from Hydrodynamix who have always acted with Integrity!
Sausage who actually took time out of his busy life to do administration work for me throughout the year!
To my true friends, you know who you are ....... always there for me!
And, To all those who were positive throughout and offered encouragement and support!

The GTC stands on its own now, it doesn't need me anymore, it can prosper for what it is.

I will finish off bits and pieces such as sorting out sponsorship issues from 2011 &2012, and giving out some prizes. I will be travelling to SA & Vic and will give away some of the toys that come my way.

There is an attractive offer from Shark Bay for 2013 sponsorship, but need someone else to run with it now. Or Find ways to get multiple sponsorships?? Or get rid of the whole sponsorship thing altoegther.

WA, 319 posts
11 Dec 2012 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

A fine innings Hardie - you can take off your helmet and leave the field with your head held high. You and Ben have breathed new life into our sport!

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
11 Dec 2012 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

25 said...
A fine innings Hardie - you can take off your helmet and leave the field with your head held high. You and Ben have breathed new life into our sport!

I don't think anyone could argue about that & I totally agree

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
11 Dec 2012 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Idea: Would it be possible for Captains to run it as a committee?
It should spread the load a fair bit as they do sfa now, most don't even check tracks any more
Maybe some of the Aussie captains could do it with a majority rules approach.
Also with regular changing of captains you could get fresh blood coming through which might be good for the teams as well as the Challenge.

The individual captains in each state should have closer relationships with shops etc to arrange sponsorship & prizes.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Flame Suit on

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
11 Dec 2012 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Paul Kelf said...
Idea: Would it be possible for Captains to run it as a committee?
It should spread the load a fair bit as they do sfa now, most don't even check tracks any more
Maybe some of the Aussie captains could do it with a majority rules approach.
Also with regular changing of captains you could get fresh blood coming through which might be good for the teams as well as the Challenge.

The individual captains in each state should have closer relationships with shops etc to arrange sponsorship & prizes.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Flame Suit on

Not a bad idea

Te Hau
480 posts
11 Dec 2012 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

hardie said...

Guyz & Galz I'm worn out with the whole GTC thing. I've become an even more Grumpy Old Man than I already am.

I'd like someone to either replace me and help Ben out, or if Ben wants out too, to take over the whole thing.

Now is your chance! Who wants to take over? Dont whinge if you don't like who takes over, take responsibility and do something about it now!

Special Mentions:

Ben for the incredible work on the technical side of things!
Paul & Annie from Hydrodynamix who have always acted with Integrity!
Sausage who actually took time out of his busy life to do administration work for me throughout the year!
To my true friends, you know who you are ....... always there for me!
And, To all those who were positive throughout and offered encouragement and support!

The GTC stands on its own now, it doesn't need me anymore, it can prosper for what it is.

I will finish off bits and pieces such as sorting out sponsorship issues from 2011 &2012, and giving out some prizes. I will be travelling to SA & Vic and will give away some of the toys that come my way.

There is an attractive offer from Shark Bay for 2013 sponsorship, but need someone else to run with it now. Or Find ways to get multiple sponsorships?? Or get rid of the whole sponsorship thing altoegther.

Thanks for all the work.
You've recharged so many people and renewed so many sailors enthusiasm for windsurfing.
Great job.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
11 Dec 2012 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Big mobs of thanks Hardz, I've made so many good friends since you and Ben started GTC.

I've done a fair bit of pondering since Lyn (FNQM) sadly passed away, I believe GTC had enriched her life with so many new friends, I'm truly grateful for that, thank you.

hardie
WA, 4082 posts
11 Dec 2012 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

firiebob said...
Big mobs of thanks Hardz, I've made so many good friends since you and Ben started GTC.

I've done a fair bit of pondering since Lyn (FNQM) sadly passed away, I believe GTC had enriched her life with so many new friends, I'm truly grateful for that, thank you.

Thanx for all the kind words!

Just an idea but I have to let go, could we make a special su or the overall winners Cup the Lyn Surname Memorial Trophy? But next person needs to decide this.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
11 Dec 2012 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hardie,
It'll always be your's and Ben's baby even though you want to hand the baton on. As Peter mentioned, the GPSTC has revitalised the sport and will continue for as long as going fast is part of the human psyche.

I think Paul's idea has merit to have team captains or a delegated team members run it as a committee.

Also since Lyn was a GPSTC Legend maybe the overall winner in the legend division each year is awarded the Lyn Halloran Memorial Trophy - just a thought.

PS - Thanks for the acknowledgment and I'm more than happy to assist when and where required.

PPS - I've been told I can do grumpy pretty well too you know

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
11 Dec 2012 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Also since Lyn was a GPSTC Legend maybe the overall winner in the legend division each year is awarded the Lyn Halloran Memorial Trophy - just a thought.

Great idea to havea Lyn Halloran Memorial Trophy, but I think it would be more appropriate for Lyn's trophy to be for the winner of the ladies division. She was a legend, but most of the legends are men, and it may seem a bit strange for them to have a trophy named for a lady.

Jeffrosail
QLD, 169 posts
12 Dec 2012 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy said...

Great idea to havea Lyn Halloran Memorial Trophy, but I think it would be more appropriate for Lyn's trophy to be for the winner of the ladies division. She was a legend, but most of the legends are men, and it may seem a bit strange for them to have a trophy named for a lady.

And why not honour Herby and have a mens trophy as well? Let him enjoy the honour while he is with us. Just a thought.

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
12 Dec 2012 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...
PPS - I've been told I can do grumpy pretty well too you know

Mate, you & me both

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
12 Dec 2012 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy said...

On another note:
Since losing Graceman earlier this year & now Lynne, I have been thinking about this a fair bit.
I would like to see their names remain on the team members list either at the top or bottom in maybe a lighter shade of text or even bold with RIP next to it & their PBs listed permanently.
Some members have commented that seeing Graceman's name randomly listed when posting can be bit upsetting. A permanent spot on the list would be nicer.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

elmo
WA, 8725 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Agree, that and possibly a memorial page with a photo

YP1
SA, 133 posts
12 Dec 2012 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Hardie the GPS Team Challenge got me back into Sailing after 20years off.

I would like to expand on the suggestions
A Committee of 7people. 1 from each state & 2 extra (allows for specific expertise personnel)
Each State rep could be anyone from any team. Just the best volunteer for the job too many people make coordination too hard, too little too much work not enough spread of expertise. With Email Skype etc. management should be achievable. Don't make a state rep compulsory if a state can't fill a seat then open it up better have keen members that dead wood.
The new Committee could work on the Sponsorship, Prizes and or Hall of fame, Web enhancements ……
Any changes could be voted on with a poll type of arrangement if needed I am sure a well elected Committee would look after the Hardie's baby

I am willing to offer my help if needed.

Marauders
NSW, 178 posts
12 Dec 2012 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Idea to help Ben out:

Captains being able to deal with their Team Problems.

eg:
1)Login in Problems, ( Being able to reset Team Sailors passwords )
2)Being able to Delete Sailors Profiles. ( some people have 2 profiles in teams because they have register twice.)
3) Move sailors to another Team if they wish to join or start another Team.

Plus have a Vice Captains in each Team.
To help Captains out if Captains are on Hoildays, Sick, Computer crashes, Working or other reason they are not available to do their duties.

I like YP1 idea of the Committee of 7 people from each State.
People who are involved in Windsurfing Shops & sales, would be ideal for that job.

decrepit
WA, 12135 posts
12 Dec 2012 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Marauders said...
>>>>>>
I like YP1 idea of the Committee of 7 people from each State.
People who are involved in Windsurfing Shops & sales, would be ideal for that job.

Maybe, but warning bells are going off in my head.

There could be commercial conflicts of interest if we do that.

Scud
QLD, 37 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps an association structure, to preserve the independence from any one commercial entity. There are several windsurf clubs already in play, of which 1 or more may want to get involved. So, maybe try the clubs as a first step?

hardie
WA, 4082 posts
12 Dec 2012 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

All great ideas so far!!

As I need to let go, I wont have input into the ideas, but I will just stay on for a while to finish the sponsorship bitz that needz finalizing.

I geuss we need to hear from Ben, and what his intentions are? As to what exactly will be rquired????????

But keep the ideas coming.

decrepit
WA, 12135 posts
12 Dec 2012 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hardie, before we can come up with suggestions to replace you, it would be good to know everything that needs to be done.
Could you please enlighten us?

You and Ben are listed as the owners of the GTC, I hope that isn't going to change, and you just want to distance yourself from the day to day responsibility?

It would be good if you two retained overall authority in case of any major conflict!

For me, one of the great attributes of the GTC is it's informality and the lack of structure.

I don't think the GTC needs to be "run" any more than it is at the moment.

I like the previous suggestion of virtual trophies and medals.
When Hardie retires that just leaves the cost of the website.

I've no idea if the sponsorships cover this expense, but if not, organising merchandise maybe the only extra work involved.

Maybe we need a disputes resolution committee as well, as mentioned before a group of team captains, not including those involved in the disputes?

Although I disagreed with Marauders about shops, I liked the rest of his suggestions. Vice captains, with access to team data so that teams look after their own stuff, at the suggestion of the resolution committee?

I have a cynical distrust of bureaucracy, just an anarchist at heart I guess.

YP1
SA, 133 posts
14 Dec 2012 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Marauders said...

Decrepid said...
As Decrepid noted

+1 Agree with Decrepid
Committee Members come from Sailors on the GPSTC

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
14 Dec 2012 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

YP1 said...
Marauders said...

Decrepid said...
As Decrepid noted

+1 Agree with Decrepid

Plus 1 more.
Have experienced what happened to motor sports, when shops gained control of committees, in the end, intentional or not, a "shop agenda" is promoted on what the marketing push is for the time, in place of good all round requirements for the sport.

Marauders
NSW, 178 posts
14 Dec 2012 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

mineral1 said...
YP1 said...
Marauders said...

Decrepid said...
As Decrepid noted

+1 Agree with Decrepid

Plus 1 more.
Have experienced what happened to motor sports, when shops gained control of committees, in the end, intentional or not, a "shop agenda" is promoted on what the marketing push is for the time, in place of good all round requirements for the sport.

Sorry Guys ! I think I was a bit misunderstood in what I wrote.
I meant People who are sailors in the GPS TC that have shops or sell gear would be good plus other people on the committee. Reason being I thought, that they had contacts to get sponsers plus know most of the suppliers of windsurfing gear.
I understand everyones concerns. It was just an idea to put on the table.
Cheers

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
14 Dec 2012 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Marauders said...
mineral1 said...
YP1 said...
Marauders said...

Decrepid said...
As Decrepid noted

+1 Agree with Decrepid

Plus 1 more.

Sorry Guys ! I think I was a bit misunderstood in what I wrote.
I meant People who are sailors in the GPS TC that have shops or sell gear would be good plus other people on the committee. Reason being I thought, that they had contacts to get sponsers plus know most of the suppliers of windsurfing gear.
I understand everyones concerns. It was just an idea to put on the table.
Cheers

Your good, no issues and keep the ideas comming.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
27 Dec 2012 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

I've been neglecting this for too long, and could desperately use some help in the day to day running of the site.

Basically I'm not all that interested in the speed aspect of windsurfing, but I am interested in websites. I'm more than happy to continue doong the technical side of things, but am not doing the organisational side of things justice.

So really what we need is a committee to decide things like:
* Who will sponsor the site
* Who will organise prizes
* Answer the odd support email
* Move people between teams if required.
* Ask me to sort out any technical issues that may arise.

The idea of one per state is a good one.

It's really not that big a job, maybe half an hour a week if that. And you would be helping out the site you love

So who's in?

decrepit
WA, 12135 posts
27 Dec 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

1 hand up, as long as you all make allowances for a silly old fart.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
27 Dec 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Great, thanks Decrepit, so that's WA sorted.

Also had some generous offers from NSW and Vic. Anyone else from SA or Qld willing to help out?

lao shi
SA, 1293 posts
28 Dec 2012 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Happy to help however I can but do we really need prizes?
How about the last winning team is responsible for organising for the next if everyone really wants prizes.
Most people that I have spoken to are not in it for medals, cups etc as only a few teams are ever going to get there.

decrepit
WA, 12135 posts
27 Dec 2012 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

I agree Mark, if anybody really wants prizes, they're obviously the ones to organise them.

If Nebs agrees I think a virtual gallery is the way to go.
Only really needs to be a list of honour to keep it simple.

Another question I have is what about the Internationals?

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
28 Dec 2012 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Lets keep the committee Aussie for now, if the committee want to then allow internationals then that's up to them :-)

drift
VIC, 737 posts
28 Dec 2012 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nebs,
Happy to help out with anything web related.
Gpsteamchallenge has done so much for me it is only fair to give a bit back.
Pm me with anything you need done
Mick

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GTC 2013: The Need For Renewal" started by hardie