GW52 guide

Created by decrepit > 9 months ago, 26 Oct 2015
raymondw
47 posts
28 Mar 2016 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
That would explain why Locosys told us there is no room for a larger battery. It is the one that was designed to fit in the watch form.

Looks like a standard lipo, probably the software is not capable for a larger battery.
But it should work....

Docssummersky
9 posts
3 Apr 2016 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hello all, well I have now for some reason invested in a windows laptop as i'm a mac man and did try a Parallels but it was slowing my computer down so I have bought (Dell xps) and uploaded the software and managed to get my results to show up. I own a Garmin Fenix 3 and used the GW-52 at the same time so see the top end speed difference as read somewhere that Garmin are not as accurate, well on this day virtually the same results at 29 mph dead for the Garmin with the GW-52 showing 29.3 mph.
The GW-52 set at 5 hz and sat inside helmet on my head as read to get the best results. Garmin is so easy to use, plug in to garmin connect and auto downloads, its so simple and it works. However I am having a problem uploading it to the GPSpeedsurfing.com site. It comes up with a warning, could not find resultsltem @type= distance and @ value 1852 and mode =linear and a tonne of other errors ending in error while saving data index was outside the bounds of the array, can any one help :) Also what a lot of hassle just to get the best accuracy.

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
4 Apr 2016 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Are you having trouble uploading the GW-52 data to the Garmin data to GPS-SS?

GW-52 uploads fine for me.

A few comparison readings from two different GPS does not tell the whole story. One needs to do a proper statistical analysis of quite a bit of data to show up the variations. You only need one result in a dozen to be .8 knots out to see that the speeds may not be reliable.

The shorter the time period you are speed measuring, the less accuracy you will have. 2 second averages are not that reliable from 1hz devices, but 10 second readings are excellent. Of course 5x10 second averages are very highly reliable. he higher the hz you have, the more reliable and accurate are the 10 second results.

Are you in the USA? You talk of MPH!

Dudi
4 posts
8 Apr 2016 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone! I bought a locosys GW 52 GPS, tried it today with my longboard, to see, how it will work on the water. I have so many questions, I don't even know where to start... First of all, the GPS could measure my speed, but could not store the measurements. When I got home I noticed, that the lower part of the screen doesn't work anymore (but it used to), although it reacts to touching. I did not fell, or harm the gadget at all... When I connect it with my computer, nothing happens, I hear the sound, that something was connected to the PC, but I can't find the locosys, even if I check it among the USB ports... Do you have any ideas how to solve all of these problems? Thank you for your help: a 20 year old windsurfer from Hungary

evilC
QLD, 673 posts
8 Apr 2016 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

The new version of the USB device driver on Windows 10 doesn't work for my GT-31 so I have to keep reinstalling an old version everytime windows does an update. Not sure if its a problem with the GW 52 ?

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
8 Apr 2016 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dudi said..
Hello everyone! I bought a locosys GW 52 GPS, tried it today with my longboard, to see, how it will work on the water. I have so many questions, I don't even know where to start... First of all, the GPS could measure my speed, but could not store the measurements. When I got home I noticed, that the lower part of the screen doesn't work anymore (but it used to), although it reacts to touching. I did not fell, or harm the gadget at all... When I connect it with my computer, nothing happens, I hear the sound, that something was connected to the PC, but I can't find the locosys, even if I check it among the USB ports... Do you have any ideas how to solve all of these problems? Thank you for your help: a 20 year old windsurfer from Hungary

You need to read the guide thread. That will answer most of your questions.

But the most obvious is that you need to set up your new GW-52 before you try to use it using the Locosys Utility so it records your session. Also download and read the Guides from the Locosys website.

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
8 Apr 2016 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evilC said..
The new version of the USB device driver on Windows 10 doesn't work for my GT-31 so I have to keep reinstalling an old version everytime windows does an update. Not sure if its a problem with the GW 52 ?

I am not a Windows 10 user so this is not on my radar. Somewhere in this thread I thought there was mention of using Windows 10 with the GW-52.

I would say this GT-31 issue needs to be brought to Locosys' attention but I think they already know there is an issue with Windows 10 and the GW-52 as their driver is listed thus:

"GW-52 USB Driver Only for Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7/|Win8"

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
8 Apr 2016 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dudi said..

I hope you didn't get it wet! It's not fully waterproof, If your screen has failed and it didn't get wet, then it's a warranty claim. Locosys will replace it if it's faulty.

As sailquick says reading the instructions helps!
But basically you need the utility to communicate with the GW52, it doesn't work like a USB pendrive, phone or camera.

Discgolf4
13 posts
28 Apr 2016 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Another question for the more experience GW-52 users... My units does not record/log any 10 second data. After downloading the .SBP data, there is no 10 second data, no 10 second top speed, no 10 second average.. all zeros. Any explanation for this? Everything else seems to record and register just fine, except the 10 sec. When I look at it in GPSarPro, the speed results show zeros. When I upload directly to KA-72, zeros once again. I can read the 10 second list/results on the screen, but nothing is logged for download. Help please...

TRIMMER
QLD, 213 posts
28 Apr 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

After you download your sbp file use the utility convert files.
Then use gpx or other file not sbp .
Sbp good for ka72

Discgolf4
13 posts
28 Apr 2016 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

So, I tried saving it as a .GPX, then opened it again only to find no 10 second data:

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
28 Apr 2016 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry aus 333, I think that's bad advice, you can loose the sdop data by converting to gpx, much better to leave it a sbp.
Disgolf4 if you email me one of your files I'll try and solve the mystery.
The log file, doesn't sort the data, it's just the speed and place you are at each log point. The external software then analyses the file to get the results you've selected.
So it's very strange it can't work out a 10s result when it can do the others.

I've PMd you my email so you can send me a file

TRIMMER
QLD, 213 posts
28 Apr 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

I had similar problem with gps results. .but all results 0000
Converting the file work for me in that program just to see my results before i uploaded the original sbp to ka72.

Discgolf4
13 posts
28 Apr 2016 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

So, KA-72 gave me this 10 second/all zeros result last week, but now seems to be able to compute the 10 sec speeds. This week, this time, it went through fine.GpsARPro, ver. 5.9, chokes on the file and will not show 10 sec results unless the "cubic Enabled" option is unchecked. (Making it useless as it will not upload unless it is checked)GPSResults, does not have a problem with the file and uploads properly.

My friend Peter Richterich, discovered the "Cubic Enabled" bug. I went to the GPSAR sight and downloaded the latest version (ver. 5.11- May 2015) and this fixed the issue. All good now! Thanks
Dean

Te Hau
479 posts
29 Apr 2016 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS-3333 said..
After you download your sbp file use the utility convert files.
Then use gpx or other file not sbp .
Sbp good for ka72

This is the 5Hz problem with GPSAR.
Switch the GW52 to 1Hz recording and all is ok.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
29 Apr 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

someone left his finger on the red thumb button in this thread ??

rww
QLD, 85 posts
29 Apr 2016 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Am setting up a new GW52. In tests that I have done while driving, I'm getting discrepancies between the instantaneous speeds shown on the screen and those shown in speed genie and top ten results. When I upload the file to KA72 the results seem consistent with the instantaneous speeds. The top ten results recorded on the device look consistent with the Speed Genie readouts, but both are much less the instantaneous speed readings and KA72 results by as much as 4 knots at speeds in the mid 20s. Any clues? My settings are...

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
29 Apr 2016 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

No idea, your settings look right.
I haven't made a study of instantaneous and speed genie, guess I just assumed they'd be the same.
That is very weird, I'm fairly sure my speed genie stuff has agreed with data on the file.

The GW52 isn't overly sensitive, you may have trouble getting a good enough signal in the car, maybe that's part of the problem, but to be honest I don't see how.

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
29 Apr 2016 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS-3333 said..
Converting the file work for me in that program just to see my results before i uploaded the original sbp to ka72.

As sean says there was a problem with gpsresults, it was due to the acceleration filter settings being set too low for the 5hz ripple. Manfred had the default at 5, he's now changed that to 8 for the GW52 in the latest program. But my advice if you have an older version is to just change the acceleration filter to 8 and it should be OK. (I also as a matter of course change the min speed from 5kts to 2kts. I can still be sailing at 5kts).
By converting the file you eliminated some of the useful accuracy data.
Changing to 1s is good for distance, but you loose accuracy for 2s, 10s and alphas, at 5hz the software can pick the fastest part of a peak, whereas at 1hz you could be off to the side, giving you a slightly lower result. For alphas 5hz gives a nice curved gybe, whereas 1hz gives a series of straight lines.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
30 Apr 2016 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
No idea, your settings look right.
I haven't made a study of instantaneous and speed genie, guess I just assumed they'd be the same.
That is very weird, I'm fairly sure my speed genie stuff has agreed with data on the file.

The GW52 isn't overly sensitive, you may have trouble getting a good enough signal in the car, maybe that's part of the problem, but to be honest I don't see how.

No.. Can't see it being a signal problem.

Looks to me like some sort of issue with how it's recording the speed genie and top ten speed figures.

Here's the KA72 results and the top 2s speeds recorded on the device for the "session". The speed genie readouts were consistent with the recorded top speeds.

Am wondering if there's an issue with the latest firmware. Device is running V1.3.... which isn't even listed on Locosys site.

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
30 Apr 2016 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Is the genie speed list text file you can download from the GPS the same as the screen list readout?

Did you clear the log between sessions?

Remember the max speed is for 0.2 sec so it will almost always be quite a bit higher than the 2 sec speed.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
30 Apr 2016 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Is the genie speed list text file you can download from the GPS the same as the screen list readout?

Did you clear the log between sessions?

Remember the max speed is for 0.2 sec so it will almost always be quite a bit higher than the 2 sec speed.

Yes to all Daffy.

Highest max speed and 2 sec speed downloaded from device, on the history screen readout, and on speed genie after the fastest run of were all the same at 23.75 knots and 23.42 knots resp. 2sec max from KA72 was 27.857 knots, which is consistent with the instantaneous max speed displayed during the test.

Same sort of discrepancies occurred across the range of max speeds recorded during the session.

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
30 Apr 2016 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

I think you should ask locosys, it may be a warranty job.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
10 May 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
I think you should ask locosys, it may be a warranty job.

Mystery solved!!

Asked locosys as you suggested.... very responsive, informative and helpful, but didn't pinpoint the problem.

After examining the file carefully myself with GPSResults, looks like your original theory was right... signal issue in car. It seems that the device filtered out "unreliable" results (as indeed did GPSResults), but KA72 did not.

All has worked well in first couple of sessions on the water.

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
10 May 2016 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

That's good to hear! It certainly had me puzzled, interesting that the GW52 has internal filters, I didn't know that.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
10 May 2016 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said...
That's good to hear! It certainly had me puzzled, interesting that the GW52 has internal filters, I didn't know that.

The explanation that the top ten speeds were internally filtered was my deduction from looking at the data in GPSResults, not something I got from Locosys. Certainly looks like that was what happened though!

bc
QLD, 700 posts
11 May 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS-3333 said..

I had same problem but when i updated gpsresults problem gone :)

decrepit
WA, 12092 posts
11 May 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bc said..
>>>>>

I had same problem but when i updated gpsresults problem gone :)

Yes Manfred has changed the default acceleration filters from 5 to 8.
When it's set to 5 most of the file gets put in the invalid box, because of the 5hz ripple. If you have an old version of GPSresults, changing the acceleration filter from 5 to 8 will get rid of all those zeros.

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
12 May 2016 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rww said..
decrepit said...

The explanation that the top ten speeds were internally filtered was my deduction from looking at the data in GPSResults, not something I got from Locosys. Certainly looks like that was what happened though!

It is my understanding that there is no filtering like what you describe in the GW-52. I have certainly never seen anything like that.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
12 May 2016 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

rww said..

decrepit said...

It is my understanding that there is no filtering like what you describe in the GW-52. I have certainly never seen anything like that.

Thanks Andrew.. It'll remain a mystery then.

Whatever happened, the higher speed results that showed up in red in GPSresults after the test session in the car, didn't figure in the top ten speeds on the device, but did in the results produced by KA72?? Russell

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GW52 guide" started by decrepit