VIC, 6088 posts
13 May 2016 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rww said..

sailquik said..

rww said..

decrepit said...
That's good to hear! It certainly had me puzzled, interesting that the GW52 has internal filters, I didn't know that.

The explanation that the top ten speeds were internally filtered was my deduction from looking at the data in GPSResults, not something I got from Locosys. Certainly looks like that was what happened though!

It is my understanding that there is no filtering like what you describe in the GW-52. I have certainly never seen anything like that.

Thanks Andrew.. It'll remain a mystery then.

Whatever happened, the higher speed results that showed up in red in GPSresults after the test session in the car, didn't figure in the top ten speeds on the device, but did in the results produced by KA72?? Russell

That's easy.

GPS-Results flagged them as bad data (outside it's filter parameters). It flags them with colour in the data list as you saw and discards andy results that include them. You could have a play with the filter settings to see which one is making the difference (just remember the default settings, or better still, write them down. )

Or, you could switch the filters off and see if that makes the difference.

decrepit
WA, 12008 posts
13 May 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Andrew, I think the point here, is not what GPSResults did, but what the GW52 display did.

Select to expand quote

It displayed the same low figures as GPSResults did with the filters on!!!

I'd expect the gw52 to display the same figures as GPSResults does with the filters off?????????

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
14 May 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Andrew, I think the point here, is not what GPSResults did, but what the GW52 display did.

It displayed the same low figures as GPSResults did with the filters on!!!

I'd expect the gw52 to display the same figures as GPSResults does with the filters off?????????

So would I.

rww
QLD, 85 posts
15 May 2016 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

A picture is worth a thousand words...

decrepit
WA, 12008 posts
15 May 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

It's a bit hard to read the gpsresults pages, but the first looks like max speed 27.467 filtered.
I can't see the difference between 2nd and third, but they look like 2 sec max 25.589 filtered.

And the 2s display on the unit is less than all of them. Ahh yes, I think I see, it's possible the 25kt 2 sec hadn't made it into the max records, if it's still on the main display? So that makes the #2 gpsresults @ 23.415? very similar.
So Andrew, what's happening here?

rww
QLD, 85 posts
15 May 2016 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
It's a bit hard to read the gpsresults pages, but the first looks like max speed 27.467 filtered.
I can't see the difference between 2nd and third, but they look like 2 sec max 25.589 filtered.

And the 2s display on the unit is less than all of them. Ahh yes, I think I see, it's possible the 25kt 2 sec hadn't made it into the max records, if it's still on the main display? So that makes the #2 gpsresults @ 23.415? very similar.
So Andrew, what's happening here?

Yep... You've got it!

SimonNz
2 posts
14 Jul 2016 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Would it be possible to connect it to a computer in order to display speed in real time. (Im looking to use the gw52 as a speedo for some machinery and need a large display). If not, would you be able to direct me to a gps that has this connective capacity as well as similar accuracy (eg doppler correction)

decrepit
WA, 12008 posts
14 Jul 2016 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

could you use a smart phone and the GPSlogit app? Although smart phones suffer from a small gps antenna and aren't super accurate unless they have am uninterrupted sky view. The BGT31 had this ability it's now superseded, but you may find one lying around somewhere.

SimonNz
2 posts
15 Jul 2016 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

The smart phone option has too much error. Im looking for something accurate down to 0.2 or 0.1 kmh hence why I need doppler assist. The gt 31 can be linked to a device to display a real time speedometer, you say? How do you accomplish that?

decrepit
WA, 12008 posts
15 Jul 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SimonNz said..
The smart phone option has too much error. Im looking for something accurate down to 0.2 or 0.1 kmh hence why I need doppler assist. The gt 31 can be linked to a device to display a real time speedometer, you say? How do you accomplish that?

No not the GT31, the BGT31, the "B" stands for blue tooth, and it's my understanding, it's there to communicate real time results, I assumed so it can be used as a navigate aid with a laptop that has maps.
I haven't ever had one or know exactly what's involved, or know of anybody else that's used one this way.

The smart phones do record doppler, just not the "sdop" data, but agree I don't think you'd reliably get that sort of accuracy.
There's moves afoot to produce a 10hz ublox blue tooth device, that would suit you down to the ground, but I've no idea how the project is progressing. There's a thread here somewhere about it, I'll see if I can find it and come back.

Ok this is the thread.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/GPS-Logit-with-10hz-external-BT-receiver/?page=2

Rindwider
WA, 48 posts
15 Jul 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

SimonNZ and Decrepit. I have used both GT-11 and GT-31 for real-time tracking in the field with software called "Global Mapper" - via a USB cable connection to my laptop. Once you have the correct settings in the mapping software and on the GPS, it works quite reliably. I did a quick check of one of my saved files and can confirm that data is transmitted via the USB at 1 second increments, and includes speed (not sure if doppler). Given that the speed data is transmitted via USB, I would expect that one could configure an odometer display with the right software. I can't comment on the GW52, as I don't have one - sorry. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.
Cheers, Sandy

decrepit
WA, 12008 posts
15 Jul 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Simon, that's interesting info.

Andy67
1 posts
26 Aug 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Good to hear you are working on a way to position the GW52 on your head.

I cut a section of the foam lining out of my Skiing type helmet and put them (x2) inside it (Antenna facing up) inside a sealed ziplock bag. I don't see any reason why sewing a pocket into a fabric hat would not work really well, also within a small ziplock bag for safety, as long as the hat is not something to absorbs and holds water in the fabric which could block the signal. Most modern synthetics should be fine.

I have also thought of gluing a small clear plastic 'Otter box' to the top of my other helmet.

Others have used cheap copies of the Go-Pro camera case and its mounting to hold their GPS.

Could someone point me in the right direction for a Go-Pro case copy that can take a GW52? The plan is to use a Go-Pro type mount to connect to the helmet, however original Go-Pro housing case is too small.
Andy

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Aug 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

gw52 is far too big for any classic action camera case. This is going to be hard to find

even the tiny canmore barely fits in those

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andy67 said..

Could someone point me in the right direction for a Go-Pro case copy that can take a GW52? The plan is to use a Go-Pro type mount to connect to the helmet, however original Go-Pro housing case is too small.
Andy

You mean like this cheap (roughly$40) Sports Cam one?

face to front:

Face to back:

It is almost a perfect fit around the sides. It is just 4 or 5mm shallower so I would put a small piece of soft packing under it to make a firm fit.

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

okay send a link where we can buy one , might put it on the boom so i can see my speed while sailing along

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
29 Aug 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

wow that's a good find Sailquick !!!

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
29 Aug 2016 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..
okay send a link where we can buy one , might put it on the boom so i can see my speed while sailing along

I bought that one a few years ago and they were all over the place. Just did a tedious search on Ebay and Amzon and yet to find one, but I have seen them around recently in some shops. I'll keep an eye out.

EDIT:

I found this one that may be the right size: www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Waterproof-Sports-DV-SJ4000-HD-720P_60342410053.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.le2FoK

It says the screen size on the back is 2" x 3". The GW-52 is roughly 2- 1/8th" (54mm) x 2-5/8th" (68mm) x 13/16" (20mm).

Looking at the pic. The size looks like it is at least that much larger than the screen size. Not sure about the depth though. I have another action cam at SP that looks similar to that one so I will check it out when I and next down there.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
8 Sep 2016 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the GW-52 would fit in this one?

www.topbuy.com.au/shop/current-product/?cid=10&saleID=S7N7hdxAYEuxGv-kqrTgAA&productID=73UA354pdUazXrNuwKEPjQ

the specs say it is 80mm x 70mm x 42mm.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GW52 guide" started by decrepit