Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Game Over 65 knot 500m

Created by Roo > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2012
fabulon31
VIC, 74 posts
28 Nov 2012 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

This guy has beaten the world speed record by 15 knots!!!! Is that not like someone coming out and beating Usain Bolt over 100 meters by 30 meters???? Am I looking at this too simplistically or is this achievement that incredible???

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
28 Nov 2012 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Actually by 10 knots. Still incredible.

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
29 Nov 2012 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

and here is the video of this great run:

fabulon31
VIC, 74 posts
29 Nov 2012 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

I'm really surprised that the papers aren't all over this. It really should be front page news but I can't see it reported anywhere.
There was an article in The Age a few days ago but that was just a cut and past from a US paper and wasn't about the latest run.
I guess the story wouldn't be negative so it doesn't rate.

mathew
QLD, 2044 posts
30 Nov 2012 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

We can read that this thing was "designed for 65kn"... now that they are peaking at 68kn, all of this footage is showing where/how it can by tweaked...

In particular:
- there is *a lot* of spray coming off the pods + foil... a little draggy?
- the span+wing is flying a bit high.
- from the footage there looks to be some control issues... and we know that "control is good".

Some time ago I posted that I couldn't see how VSR1 would be a record contender (aka +50kn)... this thing is not just "an evolution" of that design, it is significantly different in too many ways. I wouldn't be surprised that VSR2+mods could achieve +70kn (actually probably would have to be a VSR3, as geometries change).

And further, I am really keen to read about the pitting seen on the foils. Cavitation bubbles get larger with increased speed... and 70kn (130kph) is starting to push well into that area.

At one point I hypothesized the shape for a super-cavitating foil. Since then there appears to have been a free'ing up of that knowledge. For example, we now understand how penguins can jump onto an ice-shelf:

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/penguins-rocket-through-the-water-aboard-supercavitating-bubble-jets/

I am now thinking a shape based on something like this, might work for windsurfing:

www.amc.edu.au/news/research/cloud-cavitation-0

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
30 Nov 2012 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what is the % contributor to drag (hull, foils, aero) for a windsurfer at speed (50+?).
I'm sure Ian K has done some calcs before...

Also re: supercavitating foils - would they provide lift to oppose the sail or would they spin out?

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
30 Nov 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

mathew said...
We can read that this thing was "designed for 65kn"... now that they are peaking at 68kn, all of this footage is showing where/how it can by tweaked...

In particular:
- there is *a lot* of spray coming off the pods + foil... a little draggy?
- the span+wing is flying a bit high.
- from the footage there looks to be some control issues... and we know that "control is good".

Some time ago I posted that I couldn't see how VSR1 would be a record contender (aka +50kn)... this thing is not just "an evolution" of that design, it is significantly different in too many ways. I wouldn't be surprised that VSR2+mods could achieve +70kn (actually probably would have to be a VSR3, as geometries change).

And further, I am really keen to read about the pitting seen on the foils. Cavitation bubbles get larger with increased speed... and 70kn (130kph) is starting to push well into that area.

At one point I hypothesized the shape for a super-cavitating foil. Since then there appears to have been a free'ing up of that knowledge. For example, we now understand how penguins can jump onto an ice-shelf:

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/penguins-rocket-through-the-water-aboard-supercavitating-bubble-jets/

I am now thinking a shape based on something like this, might work for windsurfing:

www.amc.edu.au/news/research/cloud-cavitation-0

Interesting reading Matt, I always wondered how the "boiling" could do so much damage...

"The damage is caused by microjets formed as the bubbles collapse when they reach regions of higher pressure. The violent collaspse of these small bubbles occurs in very short, nanosecond, timescales creating pressures of thousands of atmospheres, and temperatures of thousands of Kelvin."

So we(windsurfers) layup fins with fine airlines feeding pressurised gas to strategic points on the fin. A gas cannister or aerosol feeding the fin manifold is activated with a boom mounted "Nitro" button. - I'm on it

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
30 Nov 2012 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

^ Mad Tim doesn't have the same sort of ring to it that Mad Max does

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
30 Nov 2012 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

slowboat said...

If you didnt know, Paul is from Perth, and also windsurfs...

paul is from healesville in victoria. i used to sail catamarans with him in vic. one of the nicest and most positive blokes i've ever met

AUS02
TAS, 1992 posts
30 Nov 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic video. Far out that looked fast!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Game Over 65 knot 500m" started by Roo