Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George, SA 2014-15

Created by Bonominator > 9 months ago, 8 Nov 2014
samOZ
WA, 86 posts
3 Mar 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I havent been following the forum, but Mal came and see me about the Tassie looking for location.. So I thought I put my sticky nose into it..
What ever Decript said is correct you wld be playing with your luck.. the spit is the go, you could even have a crack at the big lake, I explored all the area the other day and you can drive all the way where I put the cross on the map, the water there is deep, and the walk is not far . Buuuut the road to get to the shore at the spit this year is really crap and wld help if you have an offroad vehicule!! The beach driving is hard and easy.
DONT FORGET TO CLOSE THE GATE (RED mark on the Map) this is private propertie and there is cows around
The Snail

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
3 Mar 2015 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

hit the beach west is cross shore at surfbeach carpark .

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
4 Mar 2015 4:46AM
Thumbs Up

Some pics from my 26.02.2015 exploration day and sate of lake

Track to spit N big lake

VIEW S AND N LAKES FROM END SPIT

Small S LAKE

Big N Lake

To WEST spot Small Lake

To WEST spot Big Lake

View of the N Big lake, with the spot to rig.. we can clearly see where the water level comes close to the shore (right side of pic, follow the water line), it could even be some weeds banks on what I could see

Rustbucket68
TAS, 488 posts
4 Mar 2015 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nice scouting Sam...thanks for the info..certainly more potential for sailing in other directions

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
4 Mar 2015 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rustbucket68 said...
Nice scouting Sam...thanks for the info..certainly more potential for sailing in other directions

I'll be keeping my secret spots to myself from now on .

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7993 posts
8 Mar 2015 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Short video of John & myself sailing at Lake George. John & Tony had been going for distance that day c 158kms..

Did we mention the March ( large biting) flies? They seems to take a liking to my car at 5 mile and there were 100's inside..I tried to get a photo but couldn't so here they are on the water container..luckily fly spray stopped them from biting but I'd have to wind the windows down and flick a towel around as I left each day to evict them all... They even tried to bite Bruce through his wetsuit- his legs were covered in them..There weren't many at Cockies probably too windy for them..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7993 posts
8 Mar 2015 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

A few still shots from a video Daffy took of me the last day.. 5m Severne Overdrive - 50ltre Isonic speed board ( Daffy's)

BRUCE H
NSW, 179 posts
8 Mar 2015 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Yes Sue, the march fles were an unadvertised feature at 5 mile. First day I had no aeroguard and had to put on long wettie and booties to keep them off. But amazingly they were all legmen, no interest in anything above the crotch. Reminds me of someone... There was one who attacked my arm, I called him Lord of the flies, a leader of flies going where no fly had gone before or genetic variation not to be encouraged. His dynasty ended badly.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7993 posts
8 Mar 2015 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BRUCE H said..
Yes Sue, the march fles were an unadvertised feature at 5 mile. First day I had no aeroguard and had to put on long wettie and booties to keep them off. But amazingly they were all legmen, no interest in anything above the crotch. Reminds me of someone... There was one who attacked my arm, I called him Lord of the flies, a leader of flies going where no fly had gone before or genetic variation not to be encouraged. His dynasty ended badly.

Sounds like natural selection..

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
8 Mar 2015 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

BRUCE H said..

You know that cause you bumped off some of Jimbobs guard dogs, (March Fly's) you have to go back again next year and be a sacrificial March Fly feed, til the numbers come back, and Jimbob is satisfied you have paid the damage tax

bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
15 Mar 2015 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

Quick video of the great sailing lake George offered up at the end of the season, Camera was flat when we got the "Glossy" at Cockies 2 days before but just imagine it about a thousand times flatter Direction was WNW I think... compass wasnt really working on the big island... went basically 5 mile up towards cockies and back....

Be sure to click the little cog and select HD.. no editing or fancy music but hope you enjoy

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7993 posts
15 Mar 2015 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mineral1 said..

sboardcrazy said..

BRUCE H said..

You know that cause you bumped off some of Jimbobs guard dogs, (March Fly's) you have to go back again next year and be a sacrificial March Fly feed, til the numbers come back, and Jimbob is satisfied you have paid the damage tax

I hope so..

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
9 Jun 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

After this pretty ordinary run of wind we've been experiencing in NSW, I'm sold on a trip to LG in late Jan 2016. All the videos and talk has my head spinning.

My only concern is that I have a lowered Holden station wagon (a case of form over function)... will I be able to access Cockies, or will I have to hitch a ride with my fellow team mates? What's the access like?

mr love
VIC, 2348 posts
9 Jun 2015 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Got my VE SSV Wagon in there no problem. The roo on the trip over was another matter.

N1GEL
NSW, 861 posts
9 Jun 2015 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
Got my VE SSV Wagon in there no problem. The roo on the trip over was another matter.

Good to know. Thanks.

ka43
NSW, 3072 posts
9 Jun 2015 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

No no no no no!! You must have a minimum of a raised 4 x 4 and best option would be a Hummer just to get around Beachport let alone reaching Cockies or Five Mile Drift. .
Its a horrible place, cold, rains all the time and the wind is crap. Deep choppy water with sea urchins covering the bottom and cranky Tiger snakes everywhere.
if you leave small children unattended the flies will carry them away.
Pffft, stay at Botany. the fully sik jet skiers are more friendly than anyone at LG.

decrepit
WA, 12070 posts
9 Jun 2015 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

The worst part of the cockies run is over the grass as you leave the road, there are some reasonable size bumps there, but you can sort of weave your way around them. Once on the sand plain 100km/hr is no problem. The drift should also be OK, but getting to the point is another matter. There are some very rocky sections and out on the point the wheel tracks are fairly deep in places.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George, SA 2014-15" started by Bonominator