bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
30 Dec 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Glynn Merrit said..

bearhoover said..
In a few days a lot of us can say were going next month

I will be covering the late shift arriving last week in Feb, looking forward to meeting anyone still around. Big fan of beer and steak.
Have never been on the boat before (have to cross the river to Melbourne) so will be an adventure from the start. Love road trips... cant wait!

Is Beachport caravan park the windsurfing Mecca of a night or are a lot of people camping lakeside... with the snakes....

The place to camp is www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Ocean-Tourist-Park/242322019232437

Cheers for that, looks like a top spot. The pic of the fire going outside is a winner for me

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
31 Dec 2014 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

The real top spot is the boudoir... Isn't that right Jaime, or should I say Sammy!!!

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
31 Dec 2014 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

A few people have asked me do they need wet suits?

This year I was there in Feb I wore most days on the lake just a spring suit, with a wet suit long sleeve shirt at times, then other times just board shorts & a rashie.
This part of the country can be cold the nights were cold at times it got down to 8c the days were cool if it was cloudy we also got a few showers which made it cold.
On the sunny days it was hot so be prepared if coming for the 1st time bring some warm wear.
Having said all that I am from Qld so am use to being warm I would say Beach Port is almost like our winter up here.
You will more likely get some SW winds they made it cool so sitting out at night having a beer is cold.
Hope this helps looking forward to seeing everyone again it was so good meeting you all this year.
Happy new year see you soon.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
31 Dec 2014 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Blooddy 'ell Glynn! You done it now! The place will be chockas with other windsurfing tourists and I won't be able to get a snake free patch of grass for my tent!

Wetsuits: On the windy days you will probably want a full 2mm steamer, especially you banana benders! The wind chill factor will get you. Better to be warm than cold!

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
31 Dec 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Daffy and Glynn are right here. Us NSW sailors had 3/2 short arm steamers/springies for the cool windy days and wetty tops and boardies for medium days and rashies/boardies for the "summer at home" cruisy days. Nothing like the Pit but the wind is cool. Water was warm as and bloody hot at times before the SE kicked in.
At night round the BBQ we were rugged up, up high at the cabins it was exposed. Bring some warm clothing if your north of the border. Hope to see everyone in Feb!!

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
31 Dec 2014 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Just locked in my cabin for 3 weeks today. Kristen at Southern Ocean Tourist Park said there have been lots of bookings in the last week for cabins in Feb, so if you haven't booked yet, don't leave your run too late.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like I might be camping on the spit with the snakes and WNormanClarke!

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
3 Jan 2015 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

when r u there Daffy?

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
3 Jan 2015 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..
sailquik said..

when r u there Daffy?

No fixed dates. Just goin' when it looks windy. Thats why I can't really book ahead,

Ahhh, The advantages of retirement!

edit: BTW, the next 3 days look pretty good on the forecast. Sunday, Monday and possibly Tuesday Anyone going?

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
3 Jan 2015 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

I will be on it tmro but on arvo shift Monday on...
The warnambool boys are staying at my van Monday and Tuesday and there is the usual crew from Adelaide that camp out the spit the first week of January.
sailed on a 4-7 wave gear on Friday.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
3 Jan 2015 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..
I will be on it tmro but on arvo shift Monday on...
The warnambool boys are staying at my van Monday and Tuesday and there is the usual crew from Adelaide that camp out the spit the first week of January.
sailed on a 4-7 wave gear on Friday.

Thanks Jimbo. Whats the water level like. The auto station seems to be down. :( Is it still up on the spit?

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
3 Jan 2015 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Spare bed in our cabin (me and Larko) in the second week of Feb if you're desperate Andrew.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
3 Jan 2015 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..
Spare bed in our cabin (me and Larko) in the second week of Feb if you're desperate Andrew.

Thanks Mate! I recon I am sure to be there then.

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
3 Jan 2015 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Oh ****, poor Daffy!!!!

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
4 Jan 2015 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka43 said..
Oh ****, poor Daffy!!!!

Yep, very poor! The hours are great but the pay sucks!

Oh well, should be a nice sail at LG this arvo.....

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
4 Jan 2015 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

I think it was more "poor Daffy, he doesn't know how bad I snore"

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
4 Jan 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..

mathew
QLD, 2035 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Pics of water level...?

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
5 Jan 2015 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

mathew said..
Pics of water level...?

pretty low!!

mathew
QLD, 2035 posts
5 Jan 2015 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..

pretty low!!

From that pic, it looks a little high... could get some splash-back, so too much drag.

mr love
VIC, 2338 posts
5 Jan 2015 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

I don't remember the water being that drinkable!!

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
5 Jan 2015 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

not much chop though, nice and glassy

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
6 Jan 2015 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

Pics don't really show the water level with much use. But here are are some anyhow.

The level is still higher than it was in Feb. two years ago when it was excellent, but probably only 15cm. The issue is the weed is very short and needs to grow. That is being impeded by the murkiness of the water. It is not in it's usual clear state so it is not letting much light through. Hopefully, a week or two of light winds will allow it to settle.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

JB drying his condom

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
6 Jan 2015 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Pics don't really show the water level with much use. But here are are some anyhow.

The level is still higher than it was in Feb. two years ago when it was excellent, but probably only 15cm. The issue is the weed is very short and needs to grow. That is being impeded by the murkiness of the water. It is not in it's usual clear state so it is not letting much light through. Hopefully, a week or two of light winds will allow it to settle.

"...a couple of weeks of light winds..."

Don't know about that mate!

slowboat
WA, 550 posts
6 Jan 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

sick_em_rex said..

pretty low!!

From that pic, it looks a little high... could get some splash-back, so too much drag.

you can get splash-back from a long drop even without laser guidance.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
9 Jan 2015 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the muddy LG photos the lure seems less than before as WA has several weed flattened spots now... probably not as much wind as Lake George but enough for low 40s speeds. Here is a composite of my favourite spot in about 15 knots. (For scale, the dot in the right hand image is 3 people crabbing and it is about a Nm from one end to the other) Decrepit and Fangy prefer the other side of the estuary where it is equally flat but longer runs though perhaps less strong in wind strength.

The down side of course is that we are all getting crap at sailing in chop, except Elmo who prefers the lumpy goodness of Novara to South Yunderup and back.

windydays
WA, 9 posts
10 Jan 2015 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

How much of an effect will all the rain have on LG and how long does the water level take to drop down to a good level

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
11 Jan 2015 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windydays said..
How much of an effect will all the rain have on LG and how long does the water level take to drop down to a good level

Looks like the rain event of the century was a fizzer.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7957 posts
11 Jan 2015 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

sick_em_rex said..

Just take some heavy duty earplugs

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George, SA 2014-15" started by Bonominator