SA, 4024 posts
10 Dec 2014 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..

choco said..

Roar said..
3rd and 4th of Feb 2014 was an awesome days

This was taken fairly early on in the afternoon of the 4th when the wind was only about 25 knots. (picked up later)

Jac did 46knots that day .

Videowill give you an idea of the water conditions in the middle of the lake and how smooth it gets clsoe to the weed banks.

I would rate those water conditions 5 out of 10 for Lake George, that is choppy! until you experience LG at it's best you'll agree.

+1 Choco.

hey Firie if you do 40 for the first time you get the King chair with remote and bar service. Tricky was the man last year lapped up his King time.

you heading this way on your adventures soon.

and he's got to do it wearing nothing but his jocks

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
10 Dec 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Wow the water in the vid looked rough compared to 2013. I hope it's not getting worse this year otherwise, it's slalom conditions!

Nah, I'm such a nutcase* I'm sure I'll still try and sail through it at around 40 knots to get that NM PB!

The forecast looks awesome for the next two days BTW!

*when the wind gets over 25knots

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
10 Dec 2014 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
jimbob SA said..

choco said..

Roar said..

This was taken fairly early on in the afternoon of the 4th when the wind was only about 25 knots. (picked up later)

Videowill give you an idea of the water conditions in the middle of the lake and how smooth it gets clsoe to the weed banks.

I would rate those water conditions 5 out of 10 for Lake George, that is choppy! until you experience LG at it's best you'll agree.

+1 Choco.

hey Firie if you do 40 for the first time you get the King chair with remote and bar service. Tricky was the man last year lapped up his King time.

So just in his normal sailing outfit then

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
10 Dec 2014 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

About the same today on a 4.4

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
10 Dec 2014 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

choco said..

jimbob SA said..

choco said..

Roar said..

+1 Choco.

Old blokes don't wear jocks

JB I'll miss this season but should be good to go next, just got to keep breathing Oh and I'll have rubber protection Red, I hope you didn't reuse the one you lent me

red
VIC, 738 posts
10 Dec 2014 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firiebob said...
sausage said..

choco said..

jimbob SA said..

choco said..

Roar said..

+1 Choco.

JB I'll miss this season but should be good to go next, just got to keep breathing Oh and I'll have rubber protection Red, I hope you didn't reuse the one you lent me

Reuse!... bloody hell was burnt and buried soon as i got got home..

choco
SA, 4024 posts
11 Dec 2014 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
red said...
firiebob said...
sausage said..

choco said..

jimbob SA said..

choco said..

Roar said..

+1 Choco.

Reuse!... bloody hell was burnt and buried soon as i got got home..

Pfff I've been told by a reliable source that you glued the ends up and made a blow up doll out of it

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
11 Dec 2014 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Eeeew! Stop!

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
18 Dec 2014 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Did a two day motorbike trip to Lake George on Tues/Wed this week - just to get away.

It was blowing a solid 30 knots on Tuesday, with only one kite way down wind and no windsurfers.

Lake level is still high, but should be good come late summer. I'm off the water until May due to injury, so good luck to all for some rocking PBs this summer...

S018
SA, 338 posts
18 Dec 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see you are Up and about Chris
how is the Rehab coming ??

hoppyrat
SA, 16 posts
18 Dec 2014 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Great picture Chris. Motorbike riding and windsurfing, the two best sports in the world!

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
19 Dec 2014 2:41AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris, is that tent properly snake proof!

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
19 Dec 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

ive seen more snakes this season already than the last few years. had 2 while I was rigging up at the 5mile last time,
was gunna call Karl from nsw to catch them.
was hoping to get down to see you Chris but the rav4 was running hot and I stopped and found the water pump leaking badly so couldn't get there.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
19 Dec 2014 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah we had a run in with a tiger snake at Lake George on the spit between the lakes. It was quite aggressive, raising its head and moving towards us. Its probably best to have a look around where you park and make sure there are no burrows into the ground that look like a place a snake might be happy to live in. I think there is a fair chance we disturbed this snake and it was quite cranky.

kato
VIC, 3377 posts
20 Dec 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

I always do a least 5 mins of circle work before i park the car and rig up.

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
25 Dec 2014 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

What fin type ans size have people been using in speed and slalom there in the past

powersloshin
NSW, 1674 posts
26 Dec 2014 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

You don't need high rake or delta's , just a weed fin, or weed-speed. Last year I had a 29 raked about 40 deg. on an i101. Definitely too big gear for the conditions, but it worked well up to about 30 knts. This year I will bring also a jp 84 with MXR Speed-Weed 24 plus other weed fins.

kato
VIC, 3377 posts
26 Dec 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..
What fin type ans size have people been using in speed and slalom there in the past

Lessacher 26 weedy for Slalom Ca53, 6.6/5.8

Ka/Loc 21 Assy for Sl 40 5.8/5.0

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
26 Dec 2014 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..

Lessacher LEWoo Rake Duo 30 weedspeed 22cm for 1 hr, C3 19cm Slingshot sym. on IS50 and KA 20 assy for NM and MXR 16/18 for speed runs on CA40. This year I will be using Tribal assy speed 16.5 and Weedspeed 18 -20 sym for blasting.

I have not sailed my slalom board there but I would use 23cm Tribal weedspeed or Lessacher 23/25cm Rake 30 Duo weed.

We have got a 25 Rake 40 Vector and a 25 Lessacher Rake 30 Duo in A-box for the speed tandem too! I am hoping they are too big!!

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
27 Dec 2014 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info
So a 40 deg is ok to use and does not catch weed?
As it is shallow do you try and keep the fins as small as possible on the slalom ie 25 cm for the 90 l?
If I have to use 7.6 I will need a bigger fin and not sure what to do so happy to see what people have used in the past and what they are taking this year for all there speed and slalom gear.
We only use 48 deg plus at Budgi as the weed is in clumps

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
27 Dec 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

My 28 cm Black Project weed fin was fine at Lake George except when hitting some rocks...... I think it has a 40 degrees rake. I did not see any clumps of weed as there at Canton Beach or Budgewoi. There wasn't much loose weed floating in the water. Weed is not nearly as much of an issue at Lake George than what it is in NSW coastal lakes.

ka43
NSW, 3066 posts
27 Dec 2014 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

On the lightish days with a 7.8 I used a 32 F/O weedy and 25 weedy, 45 & 40 deg rake. No probs.
On stronger days with 7.0 and 6.4 used a 19cm custom weedy with 99 and 79 liter Falcons. Worked sweet.
We didn't have the low water level of previous years but still unreal conditions.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
28 Dec 2014 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Even 30 degrees rake is fine in smaller fins (up to 25cm) there. I think the C3 Slingshot was even less than 30 deg and it was OK if you were careful starting off.
There is almost no floating weed. It is all all attached to the bottom of the lake.

I recon you should leave your 7.5m at home. This place is for 25 knots an up! Oh wait, I guess you are coming on a fixed date not a forecast?

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
29 Dec 2014 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Oh wait, I guess you are coming on a fixed date not a forecast?

A fixed date (first 3 weeks of Feb) + 17hrs / 1750klm of driving...... I am bringing the lot, from 7.9m and Falcon 113 with Vector Slalom Weedy 30, down to 5.5m and Falcon 45 with 19cm Vector Delta Weed Speed.............probably wavesailing gear as well considering the beach is just there. I am so looking forward to getting in some water time on the golden lake after seeing all the videos and listening to the chatter. Looks like Budgewoi, but with better wind. Yieeeeew.

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
29 Dec 2014 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet AJ. Hope to see you there. I can feel the excitement already!

ZbSailor
QLD, 12 posts
29 Dec 2014 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Same here AJ, I'm plan to arrive in the first week of Feb and stay at least 10 days before returning to Brissy. 2000 k of driving but I'm Excited and looking forward to new PB's.

I'm sailing with the Moreton Bay Mob - QLD - See you guy's out there........

red
VIC, 738 posts
29 Dec 2014 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AJEaster said...
sailquik said..
Oh wait, I guess you are coming on a fixed date not a forecast?

A fixed date (first 3 weeks of Feb) + 17hrs / 1750klm of driving...... I am bringing the lot, from 7.9m and Falcon 113 with Vector Slalom Weedy 30, down to 5.5m and Falcon 45 with 19cm Vector Delta Weed Speed.............probably wavesailing gear as well considering the beach is just there. I am so looking forward to getting in some water time on the golden lake after seeing all the videos and listening to the chatter. Looks like Budgewoi, but with better wind. Yieeeeew.

Your first shout at the pub!

One of the enjoyable things about LG is not only the PBs but having a beer and a chatter with sailors from all over Australia. I'm looking forwards to catching up with friends I've made over previous summers...Sammy..the challenge begins again!

bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
29 Dec 2014 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

In a few days a lot of us can say were going next month

I will be covering the late shift arriving last week in Feb, looking forward to meeting anyone still around. Big fan of beer and steak.
Have never been on the boat before (have to cross the river to Melbourne) so will be an adventure from the start. Love road trips... cant wait!

Is Beachport caravan park the windsurfing Mecca of a night or are a lot of people camping lakeside... with the snakes....

byronmc
NSW, 501 posts
30 Dec 2014 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Some of us from Lake Macquarie are planning the long road trip late February for hopefully some speed sailing. I love beer to so should be in good company.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
30 Dec 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bearhoover said..
In a few days a lot of us can say were going next month

I will be covering the late shift arriving last week in Feb, looking forward to meeting anyone still around. Big fan of beer and steak.
Have never been on the boat before (have to cross the river to Melbourne) so will be an adventure from the start. Love road trips... cant wait!

Is Beachport caravan park the windsurfing Mecca of a night or are a lot of people camping lakeside... with the snakes....

The place to camp is www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Ocean-Tourist-Park/242322019232437

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George, SA 2014-15" started by Bonominator