Lake George, SA 2014-15

Created by Bonominator > 9 months ago, 8 Nov 2014
sboardcrazy
NSW, 7957 posts
11 Jan 2015 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yoyo said..
Looking at the muddy LG photos the lure seems less than before as WA has several weed flattened spots now... probably not as much wind as Lake George but enough for low 40s speeds. Here is a composite of my favourite spot in about 15 knots. (For scale, the dot in the right hand image is 3 people crabbing and it is about a Nm from one end to the other) Decrepit and Fangy prefer the other side of the estuary where it is equally flat but longer runs though perhaps less strong in wind strength.

The down side of course is that we are all getting crap at sailing in chop, except Elmo who prefers the lumpy goodness of Novara to South Yunderup and back.

Looks terrific!

choco
SA, 4023 posts
11 Jan 2015 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yoyo said..
Looking at the muddy LG photos the lure seems less than before as WA has several weed flattened spots now... probably not as much wind as Lake George but enough for low 40s speeds. Here is a composite of my favourite spot in about 15 knots. (For scale, the dot in the right hand image is 3 people crabbing and it is about a Nm from one end to the other) Decrepit and Fangy prefer the other side of the estuary where it is equally flat but longer runs though perhaps less strong in wind strength.

The down side of course is that we are all getting crap at sailing in chop, except Elmo who prefers the lumpy goodness of Novara to South Yunderup and back.

Muddy LG photo's? that mud has medicinal properties, once your knees experience the soothing texture and you get a wiff of those sensual aromas oozing from the mud you'll never what to leave

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
12 Jan 2015 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windydays said..
How much of an effect will all the rain have on LG and how long does the water level take to drop down to a good level

no rain as yet might have 5mils overnight tmro but won't make a difference.
the water level isn't a problem its getting the weed growing more as the water has been pretty stirred up for a while.

but whats been shocking me is where people have been sailing and hitting rocks. seen some scary tracks straight across Rodneys rock garden.

kato
VIC, 3372 posts
12 Jan 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Choco said "Muddy LG photo's? that mud has medicinal properties, once your knees experience the soothing texture and you get a wiff of those sensual aromas oozing from the mud you'll never what to leave"

You forgot to add about the taste

red
VIC, 738 posts
12 Jan 2015 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said...
Choco said "Muddy LG photo's? that mud has medicinal properties, once your knees experience the soothing texture and you get a wiff of those sensual aromas oozing from the mud you'll never what to leave"

You forgot to add about the taste

Nothing a few beers at the beachport pub doesn't fix....

PeterVernet
56 posts
12 Jan 2015 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to sail at Lake George and meet you all .
Will be there second week februari and hope someone guide me where to surf.
Like to sail Sandy Point to , any advice is welcome.
Gear is packed for travel.

keef
NSW, 2016 posts
12 Jan 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hoping to sail LG tomorrow any advice where to rig

bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
12 Jan 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PeterVernet said..

I will be on site 2nd week in Feb, clueless about where to sail (but happy to try and help) and may have learned something by the time you arrive.. I will certainly know where the beer is

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
12 Jan 2015 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keef said..
Hoping to sail LG tomorrow any advice where to rig

Don't rig around a burrow. If you do its probable a tiger snake will come out and express its annoyance.

powersloshin
NSW, 1674 posts
12 Jan 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Jamie will tell you everything, but being light wind I doubt he will turn up tomorrow. If you look at the picture, there is access to the dry part of the lake off the road, there was a picture of the turn off in last year's thread. Or you can keep going a bit further down following the lake's edge.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
13 Jan 2015 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Keef will need to sail from the spit as its a westerly. Could sail from Shelly beach but would be a long walk out to deeper water. I've just started nights so only be there on good forcast. Doesn't look any good for a while.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
13 Jan 2015 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

PeterVernet said..

There will be quite a few of us at LG then Peter, so showing you where to sail won't be a problem. If you make it to Sandy Point I can help you out. see:http://sowindy.com.au/windsurfing-hot-spot-sandy-point/

eckas
NSW, 323 posts
13 Jan 2015 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Half a dozen Illawarra Speedsters variously arriving and departing LG in the middle two weeks of Feb!

The windsurfing community's convergence on Lake George for a communal celebration of all that is good about windsurfing needs a name...schoolies week and toolies are already taken. Any suggestions?

I'm a bit concerned about 'Rodney's Rock Garden'. Any details on where to avoid?

Eckas

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
13 Jan 2015 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eckas. Best get the news on what to avoid when you get there. Quite a bit to take in. To be honest, LG is quite a shock to those not used to sailing in super shallow water. Worse, when it does get shallow there's also limestone reefs, unlike Primbee for example. Mostly, you'll work it out yourself but there are a couple of "no-go" zones depending on the water level and wind. Ask the locals or experienced campaigners.

I'll be there when it's on in Feb.

As to names, how about Droolies Week? That's what happens to me at the end of a great LG run, I drool!

Seriously I'm sure we can come up with something better!

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
13 Jan 2015 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Weed week?

Flatwater Fortnight?

Glassy Gallop?

Weedywater Wallow?

Mud bath?

Roo
779 posts
13 Jan 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty simple, one word sums it up: georgeous!

elmo
WA, 8713 posts
13 Jan 2015 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Holidays

choco
SA, 4023 posts
13 Jan 2015 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

" Private Property - KEEP OUT"

powersloshin
NSW, 1674 posts
13 Jan 2015 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eckas said..

The windsurfing community's convergence on Lake George for a communal celebration of all that is good about windsurfing needs a name...schoolies week and toolies are already taken. Any suggestions?

Alice in Jimbob's land

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
15 Jan 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

"I feel the weed, for speed!"

bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
15 Jan 2015 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bonominator said...
"I feel the weed, for speed!"

??? I thought everyone went for the sunsets?

Windsurfunstu
NSW, 177 posts
16 Jan 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eckas said..
Half a dozen Illawarra Speedsters variously arriving and departing LG in the middle two weeks of Feb!

I'm a bit concerned about 'Rodney's Rock Garden'. Any details on where to avoid?

Eckas

Foolies

Speed Foolies

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
25 Jan 2015 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Funny how quiet this thread has suddenly got.....

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
25 Jan 2015 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

maybe we need a list of who is coming and what dates they will be at the lake , i think there will be a lot of northern sailors on the way looking for some great times sailing and the odd drink or two

for me and Maree we will be there 6th feb for 2 weeks , been looking at the forcast and the wind seems to be mostly se .

cant wait

kato
VIC, 3372 posts
25 Jan 2015 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

I think this week might be busy

F2
QLD, 209 posts
25 Jan 2015 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Mark, we will be there on the 7th of feb for 4 weeks it will be great to see everybody.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
25 Jan 2015 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Sue & I leaving Tuesday from Wellington Point Brisbane should be there by Friday all going well I will be there just before the Caravan.
Hope someone else will be there to sail with looks like some good wind for my arrival.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
25 Jan 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Next week looks like 6 days of SE from Tuesday! Turns off on about the 7th when the Northerners arrive.

Don't worry. We will do a few runs for you! Or at Least Kato will. He'll do enough for everyone!

AUS02
TAS, 1987 posts
25 Jan 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've just booked the Spirit of TAS for tomorrow, so will arrive Tuesday. Looking forward to sailing LG!!

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
25 Jan 2015 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said...
Next week looks like 6 days of SE from Tuesday! Turns off on about the 7th when the Northerners arrive.

Don't worry. We will do a few runs for you! Or at Least Kato will. He'll do enough for everyone!

though you would be onto it Daffy .....
think the weed is actually less than when you sailed with me a couple weeks ago.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George, SA 2014-15" started by Bonominator