Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Old Speed Guns Rule 2012

Created by TASSIEROCKS > 9 months ago, 6 Feb 2012
TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
15 Feb 2012 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Something about those days, custom was king just look at the ideas about.

Well done sail quick the boards look so cool. Looking forward to your posts

I would try windgenuity for a nice us box pointer fin. I got a g10 pro limit 30cm "the blade" under $80 hope they have something left.

Cheers Russ

Bondalucci
VIC, 1579 posts
15 Feb 2012 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

One of the challenges with the old boards is finding a US box speed fin!

Could you sacrifice one of your tuttle box venoms and sand/reshape the base into a US box?

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
16 Feb 2012 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Bondalucci said...

sailquik said...

One of the challenges with the old boards is finding a US box speed fin!

Could you sacrifice one of your tuttle box venoms and sand/reshape the base into a US box?

Although I don't have any Venoms yet, the modification thought has crossed my mind. Might be easier said than done though.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
16 Feb 2012 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

keef said...

that would have been great fun making that board sailquick, just nutting it all out and the the grand finnarly and sticking the two sails on it and getting it going, what great memories
it looks like you have a windrush mast track, how great were they and so basic

You are absolutely right Keef! Great fun and extremely satisfying to have it work so well!
The tracks are Tyronsea. They may be very similar to Windrush tracks?
They work very well for such a simple track without fancy rollers. If I ever run out of those old Tyronsea brass base collars and plastic shims I will be stuffed!

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
16 Feb 2012 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

TASSIEROCKS said...

Well done sailquick the boards look so cool. Looking forward to your posts

I would try windgenuity for a nice us box pointer fin. I got a g10 pro limit 30cm "the blade" under $80 hope they have something left.

Cheers Russ

Sailquick Windgenuity have none of these fins left sold to SUP users!!

legless
SA, 852 posts
16 Feb 2012 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

TASSIEROCKS said...

TASSIEROCKS said...

Well done sailquick the boards look so cool. Looking forward to your posts

Cheers Russ

Sailquick Windgenuity have none of these fins left sold to SUP users!!

Black Project fins have US box SUP WEED and Pointer fins:

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
17 Feb 2012 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

What size are those fins and are they high speed fins?

AUS02
TAS, 1993 posts
17 Feb 2012 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Boogie can do special orders for Venom's with a US Box, I've got a 30cm one. Great thread.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
17 Feb 2012 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Dave keep it for when you have a go on the Allegro or my other speed board

I had a run yesterday on the backend of a seabreesze, just not enough wind. next big day at Dorans let's have a 5 x 10 comp on the old guns you can choose

Should be fun

Cheers Russ

legless
SA, 852 posts
17 Feb 2012 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

What size are those fins and are they high speed fins?

The pointers are 26 and 28 the weed fins are 22 and 21. The foil is about as deep as the Type S fins which is not as deep as the Type R fins so i would suspect they would work well at speed down wind and not so well slower upwind.

AUS02
TAS, 1993 posts
17 Feb 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Russ, next time we catch up I'll give it to you so you can see what speeds you can do. It's a good size, not too small, not too big!! Good for 40+ for sure.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
17 Feb 2012 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

I remenber Chris D from here in SA had Boogie from C3 make him a custom US box speed fin to fit into his starboard Kode so it can be done. pretty sure he sold it here on seabreeze so might be the one aus02 has.

S018
SA, 338 posts
18 Feb 2012 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

Just a question !!
are we talking about a comp !
of pre "bolt through" fins ?????
just to out line the guide lines
??
great fun reading about the old gear
even with out getting the old stuff out he shed.

(mine has a bold through fin)
shock horror.......

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
18 Feb 2012 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi S018,

This Comp if for everyone Its about sharing our rich speed sailing history and having fun!!

Most of us have older gear from a past era 1980, 1990, 2000 that we have kept and you never sold. I know why, because some part of you could never part with it. Now is the time to give it one more run just for fun share your story with us.

votes will be given for the best story and results obtained on the water as voted by everyone if you are in the comp or not. for example Tony Wyn story of finding his old watercooled speed board and now fixing it up to run is what this comp is all about. and a fantastic story.

Finding fins and sails is all part of the fun of this comp and part of what makes Old Guns Rule

Cheers Russ

AUS02
TAS, 1993 posts
19 Feb 2012 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...

I remenber Chris D from here in SA had Boogie from C3 make him a custom US box speed fin to fit into his starboard Kode so it can be done. pretty sure he sold it here on seabreeze so might be the one aus02 has.

Mine was a custom, direct from Boogie as well. I don't think there is any issue in ordering one, other than not being a stock item, so you might have to wait a little longer.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
21 Feb 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to a run with it Dave.

Sunday Marion???

Need some wind soon

Greg at Windgenuity very kindly gave me a brand new 5.0 North Pyro 3D 1998 he had hidden away for 14 years ready to go with the Bic Allegro

ready for 33 target

looks like this only green and white. I will donate sail to Windsurfing Tas after the event is over. Thanks Greg

AUS02
TAS, 1993 posts
21 Feb 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, that will be pretty cool, especially with a good boom!! Be great to get photos and GPS tracks of the run.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
9 Mar 2012 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Ok I'm ready for the next blast with the old gun and North Pyro 5.0 sail.

How is everyone going?

Are there other old guns ready for one more run?
P.S Hot fin Dave

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
9 Mar 2012 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have found that Lessacher can do custom A box fins as well. Hopefully, I have a 25cm speed Duo rake 30 on the way soon for the Speed Tandem board!

I also found that Vector can so some of their fins in A box on special order. I have ordered a 25cm 40 degree Vector Delta weed for the Tandem as well to be ready for the next big blow in Lake George, if and when the water comes back! I have no doubt the old girl will crack 40 knots there in the right conditions.

stroppo
WA, 729 posts
10 Mar 2012 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

yeah i remember when i seen pascal 4 the first time in the mid 80s at mandurah and he rolled up in a hire truck with it full of gear i was just a teenager and had never seen so much gear and those boards were like pencils and fred haywood was in this video and said he went so fast his hair fell out that was so funny back then maybe that is why there is so many bald sailers now those speeds are most sessions we do ive got some old wild wind sails from early 2 mid 90s a 6.8, and a 7.3 and a old daryl wilkes slalom would be some fun 4 old time sake !

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
11 Mar 2012 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

sailquick,

Would 40knots be a world record?

Looking forward to the attempt tandem could take off again

I am going to order a us box delta 25 as well for my Bic allegro.

If I go to Stanley next time it is on, I will have a good chance of a big number as well I hope.

stay Happy Russ

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Old Speed Guns Rule 2012" started by TASSIEROCKS