Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Learn to Windsurf & Team Windsurfing RQYS 2016/17

Created by cammd > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2016
cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
5 Jan 2017 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Ok the RQ Sailing Academy just advised there will be 8 LTW courses this year, four will be run during school terms over 5 consecutive Saturdays the other four will be run over 5 consecutive days during the school holidays

First one starts 28/1 to 25/2 from 09.00 to 12.00

Legroom
QLD, 17 posts
5 Jan 2017 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great news, thanks Cameron. Maryana and I up for LTW as have never been on a sail board before. Will check RQYS site on how to register for that first course. cheers, Todd

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
6 Jan 2017 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mlwj64 said..
When is the first learn to windsurf ?program starting in 2017?? I have the month of January OFF work! Keen as mustard!

Just found out there is a course from the 16/1 - 20/1 as well, might suit you better

Mlwj64
QLD, 25 posts
6 Jan 2017 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

awesome cammd..where and how do I sign up?

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
12 Jan 2017 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

First Team Windsurfing session of the year at 9.00am on Saturday, strong Northerlies and high tides guarantee an awesome session of freeride blasting

Maksior
QLD, 57 posts
18 Jan 2017 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Would like to invite everyone for a Saturday Session.
We will work on harness lines techniques as well as beach starts (a good practice before water starts too)

Hope to see you at 9am at RQYS.

Best regards,
Max

Fly'inFrog
QLD, 9 posts
20 Jan 2017 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Super! We'll be there with Tamas. Missed a few sessions last year but definitely getting back to it! :) :) Looking forward to it!
Vai

Maksior
QLD, 57 posts
24 Jan 2017 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

We will have another Team Windsurfing session on next Saturday, 4th of Feb. We are all in Hawks Nest at the moment and wont be able to attend Saturday Team Windsurfing on 28.01! So hope to see you in 2 weeks

Windragon
QLD, 167 posts
17 Feb 2017 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Any session for Team Windsurfing tomorrow?

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
17 Feb 2017 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windragon said..
Any session for Team Windsurfing tomorrow?

yes 9.00am

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
24 Feb 2017 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Another session tomorrow (still 6 to go for the season), conditions look perfect with a 12 knot Sth Easterley and a high tide.

Might be a good day to sail over to Wellington Point and back. We can decide tomorrow but don't be late and get rigged and on the water early in case we decide to go. 9.00am start

bob116
QLD, 63 posts
10 Mar 2017 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Is there a Team Windsurfing Session tomorrow 11 March?

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
10 Mar 2017 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bob116 said..
Is there a Team Windsurfing Session tomorrow 11 March?

yes.9.00am

Fly'inFrog
QLD, 9 posts
20 Apr 2017 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

Is team Windsurfing on on Sat 22nd?

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
23 Apr 2017 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry for late reply, its recommencing on the 6th May

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
7 May 2017 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

(Photo keeps loading upside down despite editing )

Max and I had a great mornings fun working on tacks and gybes - some friendly rivalry racing around the bouy.

thanks to the team at RQ and especially Larra for giving me coaching tips - I'm a slow learner 'keen beginner'

very busy windsurf day at the beach - when the learn windsurf fleet went out it looked like a flock of blue butterfly's had been released

Cheers Jeff and Max

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
13 May 2017 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Another great morning at RQ Team windsurf and Green racing team

we all joined in together. Couple of father and son teams :-)

very gratefull for the support and encouragement

thanks to to Larra and the team

Cheers Jeff and Max

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
21 May 2017 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Low wind practice this week at RQYS

lack of wind forecast probably dropped the numbers attending

My sailing buddy Ballast came and supported my quest to improve my sail handling skills. Thanks Brad

Full marks and a big thankyou to the RQ team.

Undivided attention from Josh chasing me around on a SUP giving helpful feedback.

Great to chat with Pat in the support boat as we practiced rescue techniques.

Shari guiding me on the simulator tuning me up on rig flipping techniques then giving feedback on the water

Very enthused and pumped learn to windsurf participants enjoying the skills they have developed over the last 5 weeks

Realy enjoying my sat mornings at RQ

Cheers Jeff

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
28 May 2017 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Successfull low wind session at RQYS this saturday

More low wind practice - still grateful to be on the water

Sam put us through our paces. Sailing around the bouys

Beam reach and windward practice sessions.

Stayed pretty dry through my practices and then performance anxiety had me falling off during the race session

Max had fun following Sammy out into the harbour practicing long upwind runs.

(Max absolutely stoked - came home and watched youtube windsurfing videos ... makes a change from Basketball videos!!)

Todd and Maryanne made a late appearance sporting upgraded sails and harnesses.

Lots of new gear to been seen on the water

Thanks again to the team at RQ - its great to be out practicing getting skill support on low wind days

Cheers Jeff

So looking forward to next Saturdays wind forecasts

Legroom
QLD, 17 posts
29 May 2017 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see you on the water Jeff. Maryana says that racing you was the highlight of her session.

Yes, getting excited by that forecast! Will be on time this week.

cheers, Todd

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
25 Jun 2017 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

still having fun working on my skills on Saturday mornings at RQYS

Thanks to Sam for leading us and backup from Coach Max - always appreciate the positive feedback.

A little more wind would be nice :-)

still good to to be out on the water learning skills under these conditions

good roll up today - lots of pumping to stay in front of Max when we were racing.

Good to to have some of the regular competitors sail with us so I can see how it should be done - gratitude

Good to chat during debrief and get feedback - thanks Pat and David

cheers Jeff

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
23 Jul 2017 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Team windsurf and Greenfleet training continues at RQYS

Eight of us sailing saturday morning. The cold start had a few of us a little slower getting ready

Full marks to Larra and Sammy for manning the rubber ducky and giving us encouragement and advice as we went through our drills.

Big call out to Charlie, Johnathon and Jocey for pushing on with sailing and skill development during the winter season after completing learn to windsurf a few months ago.

Lots of Tacks, Gybes and raceline practice plus pumping to account for the fickle winds....

Cheers Max and Jeff

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
29 Jul 2017 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful Morning down at the club

There were half a dozen people enjoying the light breeze

I decided on a different option, its not a foil but it still goes great in light winds

da vecta
QLD, 2514 posts
29 Jul 2017 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like she cruises nicely. Pity that motorbike got in the way of the photo.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
28 Aug 2017 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Had an awesome morning at RQYS Saturday. Been away for a few weeks with Max playing guitar in musical and me doing yoga and family stuff (61st birthday at Booreen pt)

Great turn up - green fleet RSX and Techno plus raceboards and team windsurf improvers

With the promise of more wind than the fickle winter we have just witnessed it was a demanding and high workload program set by Lara and coach MaxW

Figure of 8's, tacks gybes, centre board up/down mast track forward/back sail backwards sail clew first

Cover your opponent - tack/gybe...... Phew!!!! certainly a workload for this old man?? Was wondering if I was going to survive.

Yep a lot going on - really had my boundaries pushed.

Highlights..
Colliding with my son Max on the startline twice(Im often a minute behind - out of the ZONE)
"get out of the way dad!!!"

First time through he fell and I got ahead ;-)

Next time I was the one to fall and as I popped up I heard "this time I get get to sail away" priceless

Seeing Jo and Harry battle it out on the RSX boards - screaming into the bouys on the plane and doing fast tacks

The Team windsurf sailors pushing themselves in the stronger gusts to master their skills

Not coming last on the race back to the shore

Reaaly good fun
Gratitude to all who turned up and participated in a great mornings fun

cheers Jeff

Dag
QLD, 720 posts
28 Aug 2017 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

That's windsurfing! That's what it's all about!
Love it!

Fly'inFrog
QLD, 9 posts
7 Sep 2017 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Will there be any Team Windsurfing on the coming Saturday, Sept 9th? After the opening ceremony? or before....?

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
8 Sep 2017 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly'inFrog said..
Will there be any Team Windsurfing on the coming Saturday, Sept 9th? After the opening ceremony? or before....?

I think its on the normal time 9.00am

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Learn to Windsurf & Team Windsurfing RQYS 2016/17" started by cammd