Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Sandstone Seabreezers

Created by Paddles B'mere > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2015
Bone's
QLD, 195 posts
27 Feb 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Who is up for it today? Brad and I heading there this morning.

Adam roofer
QLD, 157 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

I am going to be there today and tomorrow

JazzyandJase
QLD, 92 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

What time. I'm keen for a sail today. Not yet been to sandstone and would need to make sure there ar a few people around, specially today. Cheers Jason

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

High tide is around midday Jason so you'll be good for a few hours either side. I'm not sure whether I'll be there today yet, but definitely tomorrow. I reckon that Tony and Brad will not be too far away already.

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Janet and I are planning to get there tomorrow (Sunday) around 1:30pm. Looks like a great forecast.

Adam roofer
QLD, 157 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

I'm going 10.30 wind about 20 to 25 n

JazzyandJase
QLD, 92 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Ok I think I will head up now for a look. Is there a street name for reference ao I can find the place

Adam roofer
QLD, 157 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Oxley place sandstone point

JazzyandJase
QLD, 92 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome, on my way, should be there around 1030. Look forward to meeting a few people.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
27 Feb 2016 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Great day to return to windsurfing. Sailing with the lads at Sandstone.

5 weeks off have knocked the match fitness about, I was able to crawl off the water after a couple of hours fun in the gusty winds.

Sailed pats Exocet sting 124 with 5,8 first up then changed up to the fanatic stingray as I was getting tired out.

Good to meet the regular crew again.
Pat and Adam doing really well. Adam planing consistantly - trying to overtake me - won't take long and he will be saying 'get out of the way pensioner ;/). '

Jason (visiting from Redcliffe) and Denis practicing their gybes. - great to have some more experienced sailers amongst us

John from Bribie out showing us all how it's done

Tony and Brad - thanks mates for the invitation was anxious about how it would go. Was even considering going to Yoga instead - shame on me!!!!

A great morning. Now recovering at work in afternoon shift

Cheers Jeff

JazzyandJase
QLD, 92 posts
27 Feb 2016 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Friendly Bunch up at Sandstone. It was great to meet everybody today and its great to sail in a different location. I had a great afternoon, perfect spot for practicing gybes. Manager to do 27kts according to the GPS so that a PB for me and certainly the best day I have had Gybing ever. I look forward to catching up with people from time to time and will keep my eye on the blog. Thanks Jason

ballast
QLD, 500 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Was another good session at the secret spot. Not sure if it made the forecast, but was pretty breezy.

We sure have had a good run of windy weekends. Almost ready for a gentle race board kind of day to let some of the briuses and old man aches and strains subside a bit. Got a bit of a Popeye left forearm now after a dismount into mast. Not my beer arm, so not too much of a problem.

Good to see Jeff back, just waiting on Guru Pete to reappear.

Enjoy your day tomorrow if you are backing up.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Great sailing today, good to see Jeff back on deck even though I didn't catch him before he had to leave. I'm backing up again tomorrow around midday I reckon, who's in?

RioSprint
QLD, 33 posts
28 Feb 2016 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, beautiful morning so plan to visit sandstone point with Rio and 5m & 6m sails. Hope I can find the place!

Adam roofer
QLD, 157 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Good morning 10 kn at the moment at sandstone

wadem
QLD, 65 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Not happy to be out of action this and next weekend. Have a great day. See you all in a couple of weeks.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
28 Feb 2016 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

It was a case of "should have been here yesterday" at Sandstone today , lucky we all sailed yesterday and didn't miss out. Lovely afternoon, just not much wind.

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
28 Feb 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

We didn't make it, but it sounds like we didn't miss too much. That's a shame, sorry for you guys - the forecast looked really good. Bloody forecasts.

If the wind comes good tomorrow, Janet and I are thinking of heading up about 1:30pm or so. But considering how today's forecast went, it sounds a bit shakey.

bob116
QLD, 63 posts
28 Feb 2016 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

I had a good time at Manly, lots of beach and water starts and runs in foots traps on my 5.8.

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
29 Feb 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone's thinking about today, Janet and I are heading up soon.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
29 Feb 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Well today was as good of a sailing day as it gets at Sandstone Point, glad I could share it with all the cool cats who didn't want to work this arvo and would rather sail instead, Adam, Jeff, Andrew, Janet, Mark and some fella on the smallest green trick board I've ever seen. Even Johnno got blown over from South Esplanade and had to get a lift back to his car from Adam. It was a genuine 15-20kn day probably closer to 20 and as good as it gets, I used a 6.2m sail on the big Starboard and it was perfect. Once I convinced Adam that only kids sail near the beach and he should come out into the real wind it was on like donkey kong with plenty of dicing and racing between me and my learning buddy, but Jeff upstaged us all with some runs at ridiculous speed followed by spectacular step-offs. Everyone will be sore tonight.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
29 Feb 2016 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Does it get any better??

You know the beginners are snapping at your heals when you're at home relaxing and you get text and phone calls - WHERE ARE YOU!!! The wind is on :-)

Great afternoon - just what I needed to get my sailing fitness up again. Ended up a little overpowered as the wind lifted during the afternoon. So it was basically ballistic runs acros the front and then OMG better get off before I hit the reef. Lots of creative exits.

Really excited With my sailing a complete afternoon on a smaller board (124 litres). Been nibbling at smaller boards for a while. Had some really great runs today.

Really impressed to see Pat and Adam neck to neck doing planing runs across the front. They have left me behind as the can do fast tacks and keep going - they will have to teach me how to do that. Maybe I better get back on the big board and practice some more?

Adam showed me his water start progress - says he is hooked :-)

Andrew and Janet doing the retro thing - Janet unstoppable - Duracell powered ;-)

7 sailing today - great turnout. As the tide disappeared Will did his freestyle thing

Johno appeared from the other shore - and thumbed a lift home

We had a kiter join us - he once was a windsurfer but says kiting is easier!

Yep a great afternoon
Cheers Jeff

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
1 Mar 2016 5:06AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good Jeff - Nice write up - 124!! That is small

Have a good one

Cheers
Morgs

JVJohnnie
QLD, 54 posts
1 Mar 2016 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Morning all. Great to be meeting you. Most have learnt to call me johnno to save confusion. I shall in future refer to John of bribie as the pope. Thanks for the sharing our bongaree getaway with me. Couldn,t resist the downwind run to say gidday at sandstone. Thanks for the lift
back upwind Adam. And hi to john.
Thanks for your number will. Wrote long post but lost it trying to add picture. In brief Jv Johnnie is a name l wish to revive along with my ability that is now also as is historical as the last Jv sails on the water. Great to playing back in the old ballpark with heaps more players. I just need someone to overtake me to inspire me to update my gear. Shower here this morning in cab . So i predict wind to ease into light gusty conditions. Hope for any one going l am wrong. Could do with some help taking and adding a cover photo as my computer skills are primitive also.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
1 Mar 2016 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jonno, this is Beachmere John, Jeff has started calling me Pat so I don't get confused with yourself and Bribie John, now known as "the Pope". I dunno what he's going to do when Pat comes sailing again.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
1 Mar 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

I'm getting names mixed up all over the place

I blame the early onset of sailing induced dementia

It gets that way that I'm more confident remembering what boards you are riding Pad Pat john johno

Great to have plenty of mates to go sailing with. 4 years ago I was on my own at sandstone

Cheers Jeff

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
1 Mar 2016 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Bwahaha, we're all a little bit demented. You will always have someone to sail with now Jeff.

JVJohnnie
QLD, 54 posts
1 Mar 2016 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hence JV Johnnie Jeff. Wait till l lure pat , john and Geoff smith there that l used to sail with 10 years ago elswhere. Perhaps l need to find some less worn out JV sails again for everyone. They have big letters JV in upper panel for us older dimented sailors too to help us thru the next 20 years.Nobody ever used to sail there way back Jeff either. I found it looking for a good teaching spot nearly 20 years ago. A few regulars at bongaree side . Still the po
pe up there.
Will ,your number didn,t come thru. Jeff can you pass mine on please pass mine on to anyone you know that wants it. Between you and l it seems we should start promoting burrum heads accom and transport if anyone wants to join us. I got room for more gear and a couple of passengers plus camping gear 2 tents and marqee and 240 v convereter.etc. Get closer to the water and more sociable . We need space for gear on site so perhaps a box trailer may make more sense to tow than your van. Cheers .

Adam roofer
QLD, 157 posts
1 Mar 2016 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great 3 days of sailing yesterday was the best 4 hrs sailing i have done 6m sail with a big weed fin john and me had a great time planning side by side, thanks to all who sail for a great time on and off the water.

AvB
QLD, 89 posts
1 Mar 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

'Twas great yesterday to have the conditions EXCEED the forecast rather than the other way round! Initially I went out on 140L old school Metal Rock and 6.6m, and had a ball. Highlight was racing back and forth trying to match Mark's speed. Reckon I didn't do too bad, but the gybes let me down! Mark comes out of the gybes fast, and also never falls over.

Janet was on 125L old school Astro Rock with Severn Blade 5.7 and was a bit overpowered but hung in for well over an hour, constantly trying gybes, before having a break. She's so light she can really point the board upwind so she easily stays way out in the deep despite losing ground in the gybes.

Janet and I had a cuppa break, boiled the billy, and I put my glasses on to see what I was doing. Wind was obviously stiffening so I rigged the Naish Force 5.0 for Janet to take out for another session.

I went back out on the small Bic Flow 105L board with the 6.6m sail. Too big. Huge crashes. On about the 3rd crash, realized that I hadn't taken the specs off when I went back out and they were now somewhere on the sea floor. I went back in and swapped down to the Blade 5.7. Janet on the 5.0 was overpowered but persisted. The small Mistral Flow got up and boogying very quickly but I kept losing control - either spinout, or just catapulted. I think being used to the old school position with the mast raked back and leaning back and out worked against me on the Flow which has the mast much closer to the footstraps. I had huge crashes, one time bruising my shoulder and the final time, braining myself so hard on something that I wandered around groaning holding my head in my hands with a massive headache. That was it for me - I went in. Janet sailed another 40 minutes or so! She just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.

Great arvo with great company!

I drove back up there early this morning to see if I might find my glasses at low tide, but there was way too much water. Expensive mistake.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Sandstone Seabreezers" started by Paddles B'mere