QLD, 189 posts
13 Jul 2014 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

What time you heading down Morgan? Jason was also looking to get out. Mal

kpb
QLD, 239 posts
13 Jul 2014 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Morgan I was talking to you yesterday at the demo day..I have never sailed at vicki point but if this wind turns up i might see you down there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
13 Jul 2014 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

heading down to vic pt/thompsons around 10.30 see you there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
16 Jul 2014 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Sunday headed to Viccy point - must admit it is a great place with plenty of room, toilets and playgrounds for the kids

I took the Fanatic Shark 165l board and 7.5m Neil Pride sail for a run - Anita rigged the Naish Kahlua 180 with her new Avanti 6.6m sail biggest she has ever used fingers crossed it is light enough for her to use. Got there around 10am and there was a slight breeze - oh well set up anyway and went to head out and the breeze completely stopped.

Where are the paddles - breeze did come back and we headed out and it progressivly go stronger and stronger through the afternoon - I struggled with the Shark but did get one good run with some expert tuition from Jack (thanks mate) by 2pm I was knackered so came in and by 3pm it was pumping and the boys were having a blast. Still no foot straps stood on them a bit and practised deeper beach starts and did ok.

Phew has been a busy week - haven't even had a chance to see what is happening on the weekend and where we are going. Will come back with that later.
Have a good week
Cheers
Morgan

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
16 Jul 2014 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Good read Morgan
Grounded with back troubles this week. Hoping for a miracle at the Physio and a gentle sail Sunday before afternoon shift. Low tide southerly - wellington point? Open to offers

AntsC
QLD, 114 posts
16 Jul 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Morgan,

Good to read your blog! I'm getting back into windsurfing after about 15 years and have been trying to get out as much as possible. Been a bit of a journey learning things again and getting confident. Haven't been confident to get out on the bay yet but I think I'm ready to give it a run.

Nice to read your gear evolution too! I'm using a Mistral One Design (235l) and just picked up an older Mistral Shredder (128l) to try out a shorter board. I've only got 1 sail at the moment, 7.8 Aerotech Air which is good and fairly easy to use. Haven't taken it out in anything more than 14-15 knots. Might need something around 6m for stronger winds. Not sure though.

If you're heading out on the weekend, I would be keen to try and make it and get to know some of the local windsufers.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
18 Jul 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi AntsC

Good to hear you are getting back into it - it seems like a great sport. You are more than welcome to join us learners anytime mate. I might not end up going out on

Saturday I am a bit crook atm, but Sunday looks like a plan. SSW - We might aim at RQ beach the Lota side of the marina at Manly. It is a good spot for us beginners.

Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
20 Jul 2014 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

We didn't make it out today - still a bit crook but went for a look see, it didn't look like many had got out, a couple of us learners in the park when we had a look at Wello - would have been there with you guys but getting over the flu. Bloody good to see you getting out and having a go and not letting the lack of wind spoil your windsurfing fun. Sounds a bit like me lol. Didn't look like much wind thou, so maybe didn't miss too much. Looked great for a paddle on the sup boards.

Fingers crossed there will be a puff of wind next weekend and we will be out having some fun. RSX is out of Surgery and better than ever - maybe faster too lol keen to get it wet again and have some fun.

Have a good week
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
25 Jul 2014 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hope it has been a good week for everyone - mine has been a bit topsy turvy at work - need that release out on the water to wash it away. Hope your back is recovering Jeff

Looks like we are going on Sunday head to RQ beach the southern side of the Harbour at Manly - the tide looks ok and the wind ok nice Going to take the RSX out for a run.

See you down there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
27 Jul 2014 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Yep we are going to head to Manly - lota side of the harbour for a look see and if there is a breath of wind will be heading out with the RSX and now seem to have acquired a 9.5m sail to put on it - thanks Cameron. With that bit of kit it isn't going to take much to get going today. Good wind for we beginners to have a play in - Looks like Anita and I will be going not sure about Jaye stayed at big bros last night - we will see lol

see you on the water

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Took the RSX for a run around the park with the 9.5m kit. Manly out from RQ Beach - the day was perfect too good not to be out doing something on the water. Malj was already there when we got there - keen sounds familiar lol.

Anita - Naish Kahlua 180l with Synergy 4.3m junior rig and didn't even get her hair wet - WHAT! not trying hard enough lol. She had a blast heading half way to Wello a couple of times then like the rest of you guys waves her arms in the air and says "not enough wind I'm going in" you go girl. -- my new hero

Me - RSX 220l 9.5m Rig WHOA who needs wind lol. A bit different to Anita I got my hair and everything wet in the first five minutes. You get that on the big jobs lol. Fairly soon found I had to race everyone out there Mal and Anita - I would have won if I hadn't fallen in so much . Finally started to get my RSX legs and stopped falling off and had some fun, a couple of fairly second hand tacks but tacks just the same, I managed to pull one ok jibe with a little clue first sailing (no wind) sounds good though.

I managed to get the beast going quite well and was really happy with my couple of hours on the water. The wind was very flucky decent gusts for a beginner lasting up to 5 minutes.

Fun was had by both of us - Anita whilst waiting for the wind to come up, grabbed the camera and took a couple.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Look good with that big sail Morgan

Was disappointed to go to work today and miss all the beautifull weather

Back is improving under regular Physio and I'm back at the Gym. Hoping to join the Wally sailors next week at Cootharaba

Cheers Jeff

kpb
QLD, 239 posts
27 Jul 2014 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics mate...how was it up hauling a big sail? I have stayed away from big sails myself thinking i couldnt up haul them...I really must learn to water start

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
28 Jul 2014 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kpb said..
Great pics mate...how was it up hauling a big sail? I have stayed away from big sails myself thinking i couldnt up haul them...I really must learn to water start

Thanks kpb - the big sail is a bit heavy to uphaul but doable - doesn't need much wind to have fun though so worth it. I just have to learn not to fall off so often lol.

Cheers
Morgan

togalog
NSW, 84 posts
28 Jul 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Doesnt look like you'll be needing the 9 metre next weekend.Woohoo!!!

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
28 Jul 2014 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

The sail was heavy to lift, but was doable as you say Morgan. One up it just wanted to go. The board was super stable - should help staying on. Would like to see how you go in bit more wind!!! See you around next weekend.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
29 Jul 2014 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
togalog said..
Doesnt look like you'll be needing the 9 metre next weekend.Woohoo!!!

yeah it is looking pretty good togalog - smaller sail for sure - looking like it might be viccy point

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
1 Aug 2014 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like we going to head to Manly RQ beach tomorrow, Saturday with the RSX and Sunday at Thompsons at Victoria Point. Have had a big week at work. At this stage our plans are to go to Thompsons Sunday looks like it is going to be good for it.

See you on the water

cammd
QLD, 3700 posts
1 Aug 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

see you at Manly tomorrow

kpb
QLD, 239 posts
1 Aug 2014 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

if the wind arrives i will be at Manly fo sure

AntsC
QLD, 114 posts
1 Aug 2014 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

What time will you be heading to Manly guys? Pardon the basic question: what is Manly RQ? I'm keen to get out, hopefully I can manage on my 7.8 sail (don't have anything smaller yet!!)

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
1 Aug 2014 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Morgan, up the coast tomorrow - Kawana rowing regatta on boat duty. Hope to get out Sunday. Mal

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
1 Aug 2014 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

The beach we call RQ beach is on the Lota side of the marina at the end of Davenport drv. A good spot for us learners - we should be there around 11am

Will miss you tomorrow Mal see you on Sunday

See you in the bay

kpb
QLD, 239 posts
1 Aug 2014 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

I have never sailed there i normally go out from rose bay but i am lookibg forward to giving that a go see yas there

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
2 Aug 2014 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Have fun Morgan. I'm aiming for sandstone point this arvo and lake Cootharabah on Sunday
Cheers Jeff

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
2 Aug 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

A great day on the water for us - I recon it was my best effort yet woo hoo

Met AntC there - nice to meet you AntC

Anita - Naish 180l with old school 4.5 m totally rigged wrong set up - wrong mast and thanks to AntC for the lend of the mast extension. We forgot Anitas woops... so didn't go so well - will rig it better for you tomorrow

Jaye - RSX with 7.5m Neil Pride sail - the young fella smashed it - I even let him pass me lol

Me - RSX with 9.5m sail - man my arms were sore after a couple of hours wielding that big sail. BUT all worth it did plenty of planing totally hooked in. Awesome and go figure the hook seemed to be almost too high will have to have a fiddle tomorrow.

We had such a blast at RQ Beach Manly - heading there again tomorrow around lunch for some afternoon fun. Plenty of water today

Anita caught some father son racing action on some photos

Got you in my sights Dad - here I come

Jaye with red sail - coming through

See ya

Pfft - young ones - well done buddy see what we can do tomorrow lol

Cheers
Morgan

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
2 Aug 2014 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nice sailing. Looks like you had more wind than we got at Sandstone

cheers Jeff
ps have fun tomorrow

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
3 Aug 2014 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

How did we go today - there certainly was plenty of wind which was a good start. Mal and Tony turned up for a sail good to see you guys

The day started with a fairly in depth conversation on who is getting what sail with Jaye and I lol. I wasn't about to put the 9.5 up today unless I absolutely had too. Dad won for a change - and was right.

Mal - smashed it on his shark - good to see and always good to sail with you mate

Tony - Unleashed big bertha 9.8m WHOA!!!! That was some serious s%$t made it out twice and decided to grab the 7.5m and had a good time - great to sail with you today Tony

Anita - No show - too windy chief photographer and gear watcher for everyone.

Jaye - 6.6m Avanti on RSX - he had a good run on it plenty of planing and recons he pulled off his best fast gybe - no witnesses lol. Had lots of fun out there. Two days in a row - hope to see him out more.

Me - I had an interesting day on the water to say the least - stuff happened. RSX and Neil Pride 7.5m sail - wise choice. Was going pretty well then Simon turned up and I spent most of the time he was there showing him how good and proficient I am at uphauling. Hope you were impressed mate. It was really nice of you to stop by with some very handy hints for we beginners to get on with, cheers.

Ok the weirdest thing happened - here goes trying to explain it ---- I got the thing going faster than I had before and the heel side rail started lifting out of the water and I nearly ended up on the toeside rail blasting at ridiculous speeds (for me) (was fun I liked it) - the result a massive stack. I mean I could see the fin and the centreboard nearly out of the water and I was hanging all my weight off the boom and on the heel side rail, just before I went in. Figured time to put the centre fin up - but never got to go that fast again today :-(.

Hey Jack - I am getting pretty good at staying in the harness - keep that up a bit and then start to go for the foot straps - did actually stand on them today.

Today went well feeling it after two days of full on fun....... How come next weekend is sooooo far away lol

A couple of pics

Cheers
Morgan

tilldark
QLD, 275 posts
3 Aug 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
How did we go today - there certainly was plenty of wind which was a good start. Mal and Tony turned up for a sail good to see you guys

The day started with a fairly in depth conversation on who is getting what sail with Jaye and I lol. I wasn't about to put the 9.5 up today unless I absolutely had too. Dad won for a change - and was right.

Mal - smashed it on his shark - good to see and always good to sail with you mate

Tony - Unleashed big bertha 9.8m WHOA!!!! That was some serious s%$t made it out twice and decided to grab the 7.5m and had a good time - great to sail with you today Tony

Anita - No show - too windy chief photographer and gear watcher for everyone.

Jaye - 6.6m Avanti on RSX - he had a good run on it plenty of planing and recons he pulled off his best fast gybe - no witnesses lol. Had lots of fun out there. Two days in a row - hope to see him out more.

Me - I had an interesting day on the water to say the least - stuff happened. RSX and Neil Pride 7.5m sail - wise choice. Was going pretty well then Simon turned up and I spent most of the time he was there showing him how good and proficient I am at uphauling. Hope you were impressed mate. It was really nice of you to stop by with some very handy hints for we beginners to get on with, cheers.

Ok the weirdest thing happened - here goes trying to explain it ---- I got the thing going faster than I had before and the heel side rail started lifting out of the water and I nearly ended up on the toeside rail blasting at ridiculous speeds (for me) (was fun I liked it) - the result a massive stack. I mean I could see the fin and the centreboard nearly out of the water and I was hanging all my weight off the boom and on the heel side rail, just before I went in. Figured time to put the centre fin up - but never got to go that fast again today :-(.

Hey Jack - I am getting pretty good at staying in the harness - keep that up a bit and then start to go for the foot straps - did actually stand on them today.

Today went well feeling it after two days of full on fun....... How come next weekend is sooooo far away lol

A couple of pics

Cheers
Morgan

Hey Morgan

Looks like you had a great day, The new Avanti looks great and Jaye looks like he's killing it. Good on you

AntsC
QLD, 114 posts
4 Aug 2014 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Dwbh said..
A great day on the water for us - I recon it was my best effort yet woo hoo

Met AntC there - nice to meet you AntC

Anita - Naish 180l with old school 4.5 m totally rigged wrong set up - wrong mast and thanks to AntC for the lend of the mast extension. We forgot Anitas woops... so didn't go so well - will rig it better for you tomorrow

Jaye - RSX with 7.5m Neil Pride sail - the young fella smashed it - I even let him pass me lol

Me - RSX with 9.5m sail - man my arms were sore after a couple of hours wielding that big sail. BUT all worth it did plenty of planing totally hooked in. Awesome and go figure the hook seemed to be almost too high will have to have a fiddle tomorrow.

We had such a blast at RQ Beach Manly - heading there again tomorrow around lunch for some afternoon fun. Plenty of water today

Anita caught some father son racing action on some photos

Got you in my sights Dad - here I come

Jaye with red sail - coming through

See ya

Pfft - young ones - well done buddy see what we can do tomorrow lol

Cheers
Morgan

jirvin4505 said..
Nice sailing. Looks like you had more wind than we got at Sandstone

cheers Jeff
ps have fun tomorrow

Hey Morgan, great to meet you and your family! We'll see more if you in the water For sure!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh