311 posts
14 Jan 2014 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for sharing the pics...

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
15 Jan 2014 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Looks Good Vando! Was this another annual hose down mega session?

bushfire
NSW, 351 posts
15 Jan 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

First go on my new Reflex 5 9.5m sail - on my Phantom raceboard. Wow - I really like this sail. Very smooth delivery of power in gusty conditions (up to about 20 knots). The sail wanted to drive the board forward in a very civilized manner. The only adjustments out of the bag was batten tension and an extra spacer in the second top inducer - sweet! Camber inducer rotation is as good as rumoured - very good! Happy!!

The sail looks rather "square" in this photo - just the small phone camera I think.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
15 Jan 2014 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
da vecta said..

Looks Good Vando! Was this another annual hose down mega session?

Haha yer Ive had enough rigging for awhile after rigging 4 sails

izymiester
WA, 325 posts
21 Jan 2014 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

The reflex 5's are a totally different beast to the 3's and 4's !

They are a much more softer feel and stable locked in sail. The head of the sail as you view it from the side is a lot more open and twisted than the previous reflex's

I have used the 6.2 , 7.0, 7.8 , 8.6 and the 9.5

Basically stretched each sail in over 30 or 40 mins and tensioned the battens and reflex tensioners as I sailed to get the shape into them. I Adjusted the downhaul to get the optimum setting and it was a joy to use.

All the sizes amazingly rotate like a dream , I have never had a sail of any size rotate like the R5's, they even rotate when you are just holding them in the water before water starting.

The 9.5 I had used for 30 mins on the river where I stretched it in and found optimum downhaul and boom height. I then rigged it for the second time at the Ledge to Lancelin and had my boom lower in safety of the wind picking up in the open ocean on big gear, and I came 2nd. It felt so light and easy on the arms and gybing was awesome.

I think with the decrease in the mast curve of the sail and mast tension together with an extra batten, the sails are actually keeping the boards down on the water with better downforce and reducing the fin lift , helping control in the gusts.

The sdm 90 masts also work exceptionally well and are just as competitive in performance at the top level.

All in all I am totally satisfied with the R5's, and honestly think they are the best sail I have ever had. Don't know what Severne are going to do to improve this one

gbr659
WA, 13 posts
22 Jan 2014 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

Isaac, Great job in the LOC. You've got me excited in advance of my sails arriving in a couple of weeks!

shinobi
151 posts
22 Jan 2014 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for those nice appetizers.
Did anyone tried it already with the enigma masts from 2013/2013?
We have no new 90% or 100% mast yet in Japan and I wonder how it will influence the sails performance.

~Shinobi

SeanAUS120
QLD, 750 posts
28 Jan 2014 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said..

Did anyone tried it already with the enigma masts from 2013/2013?
We have no new 90% or 100% mast yet in Japan and I wonder how it will influence the sails performance.

~Shinobi

I've tried my R5's on 2012, 2013 Enigmas (iMac built) and the new 2014 90/100%'s (Italica buily). The current masts are the exact same bend as the 2012's so you won't notice any difference apart from the colour and the 90%'s are performing really well, you might not even need bother with the 100%'s. The 2013 Enigmas had an extra wrap on them for improved durability which felt a bit stiffer which I didn't like as much on the R4's; you could notice it when you were downhauling as the R4's had some extreme luff tension ...

The R5's now have quite a reduced luff curve and a very loose leech when you sit them on the beach so the 2013 masts feel much better in these new sails as they are a LOT easier to downhaul and you can get away with the 'slightly' stiffer mast as it's not compromising the leech tension too much. The R5's like to be pulled to specs (no less) so the leech can breath (it looks SUPER loose on the beach, but on the water it tightens up and looks really nice) and give you acceleration.

+1 Izymiester's comments...the rotation is RIDONCULOUS ... never had a sail rotate this well. The performance is on another level...if I had to use another brand this year I'd probably quit windsurfing.

shinobi
151 posts
28 Jan 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

That sounds great Sean!
Thanks a lot for your insight and explanations.
The 2013 Enigma masts do indeed feel harder and are more physical to sail, the sail setting is a whole different task.... For 8.6/9.6 I do use a winch.
Now I'm happily anticipating my new sails and look forward to take them out for a spin.

Are you saying that the cam rotation will be even smoother than with the R4/R3? Can't imagine that for a race sail. ==> Before using Reflex sails I used to ride Vapor sails and they had a quite tricky manual cam shift which usually required using your hands or feet or continue sailing with the cams on the wrong side. Since my first Reflex I'm not used to this technique any more. Well, I'll be happy to even more impressed by the engineering of Ben and his mates.

Have you heard anything about the batten quality? Especially for the foot batten?
==> The R4's batten had quite some potential for higher batten strength/quality...

~Shinobi

SeanAUS120
QLD, 750 posts
17 Feb 2014 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said..

Are you saying that the cam rotation will be even smoother than with the R4/R3? Can't imagine that for a race sail. ==>

~Shinobi

You need to see it to believe it. The rotation is phenomenal. I've even added a few spacers to make my pocket super, super tight and it still rotates perfectly, with little to no effort. SV have just nailed the design this season :-))))

shinobi
151 posts
17 Feb 2014 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Sean, even with additional spacers? Maybe I need to get every size double just for the case that the next model doesn't have such a great rotation ;-)
By the way, did the performance increase with the super, super tight luff pocket?

~Shinobi

Brett Morris
NSW, 1197 posts
20 Feb 2014 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

I went for a sail on Sean's formula sails and the rotation is actually amazing. Not sure why, but they have nailed it.

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
20 Feb 2014 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

A race sail that rotates.....now that will be a first.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
20 Feb 2014 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..

A race sail that rotates.....now that will be a first.

Never had any troubles with my Loft Racing Blades with either SDM or RDM masts. Also I recall my KA Koncepts rotated easily but smaller Code Reds (2008/09 models) were sticky towards the bottom. That said I do have a 10.0m MS TR-8 that is incredibly difficult on rotation unless the sail is downhauled and outhauled exactly to spec.

PatE
6 posts
6 Mar 2014 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

From Belgium-Europe : I am reading your positive reviews about the Reflex 5's very good rotation : that's already an important point out of the way !

Actual pictures or images of the 2014 are hard to find, so it's great to finally find some pictures in this thread. But now that I see them, I notice that the colors are quite different in reality than on the product page: http://www.severnesails.com/race-sails/severne-reflex-5
In reality the red tissue in the top of the sail is much darker than on the product page, where it seems almost the same red color as the mast sleeve.
This of course is just cosmestics, but the combination cherry-orange actually turns me off. I thought they were unicolored red-transparant, like previous models.

So... are the Reflexes on the pictures in this thread the standard models, no custom colors ? Are these the colors I have to exspect if I would order them ? Are the colors true to the real-life colors ?

Thanks !
Pat

barn
WA, 2960 posts
6 Mar 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Pat,

These are standard sails. They look a bit brighter on the water, and in full sun the colour pops. But in reality they are a little deeper than the render you linked.

Can't find any pictures where the sail is lit up from behind, but in Belgium you don't really have a sun anyway, so probably irrelevant right?

PatE
6 posts
6 Mar 2014 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, thanks for the new picture !
Now comparing this one to the picture on the still current spec page on the Severne site shows a totally different beast altogether !
Was your pic a prototype ? Or even of a more recent sail than the other pics in the thread ?
The red fills in really dark to my taste

PatE
6 posts
6 Mar 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Did the colors actually change from 2013->2014 ?
These are pics of the Reflex 4 2013:
jeffreyvanhoe.wordpress.com/tag/severne-reflex-4/
here the red does not seem so dark.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
7 Mar 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

PatE said..

Did the colors actually change from 2013->2014 ?
These are pics of the Reflex 4 2013:
jeffreyvanhoe.wordpress.com/tag/severne-reflex-4/
here the red does not seem so dark.

Haha yeah copied wrong pic, I just searched for 2014 Lanno pics cause it was sunny there. We used to have a Preview Post function on this forum that's now missing I blame that..

Photos in the link you posted of the Reflex4 and here is the Reflex5 in the same spot..

If the red's a bit dark for your taste, maybe you could check out the GA Sails?

PatE
6 posts
7 Mar 2014 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

Gee, thanks for those extra pics ! So you recognized the spot ? Where is it ? Are there any more pics ?

I'm slowly getting used to the new look... still have 2 more weeks to decide

Btw. in Holland some riders have had bad experiences this year with GA (Gaastra) masts breaking, so I'm definitely not looking into that brand...

Btw2. I'm noticing that when editing an existing message, there is a Preview button, but not when creating a new message.

qldnacra
QLD, 455 posts
7 Mar 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Pat the new Severne reflexes look sh!t hot on the water. The 4's and the 5's both look way better than the 3's did. You may like different things about other brands but nothing looks better. The rich red in the top half of the sail looks class. In fact the whole sail looks class. They perform great as well. Sort of like scoring a night with Miranda Kerr then finding out she goes off like a fire cracker as well. Caching.

PatE
6 posts
7 Mar 2014 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Still not convinced :(. (do like Kerr though)

More than one woman of good taste told me during my lifetime to never combine orange with red when dressing... that's exactly what the Reflex4+5 do.

Does anyone have some more action pictures / movies of the Reflex5 on the water ?

Spokas
7 posts
7 Mar 2014 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PatE said..
Does anyone have some more action pictures / movies of the Reflex5 on the water ?

Link of the first movie FW European Cup of the event.Look to POR5 - event winner :

Link of the official pictures of the event
www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.731639076860944.1073742029.287000761324780&type=1

PatE
6 posts
7 Mar 2014 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks ! All Reflex 4 though, but gives a good impression of the color in not-sunny weather. The Reflexes unmistakably stand out, that's for sure.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
15 Mar 2014 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

voila :
all 2014 gear

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
15 Mar 2014 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said...