14 posts
2 Nov 2019 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Really nice Video of Kevin Pritchard on the new Ezzy sails in Pacasmayo

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Nov 2019 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

how is it ezzy can say its one of the lightest wave sails in the world when its clearly NOT.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
2 Nov 2019 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..
how is it ezzy can say its one of the lightest wave sails in the world when its clearly NOT.

I was wondering where they stood in the mix as well after reading that comment, so I have been doing a bit of investigating and putting together a bit of a spread sheet with all of the data that I can find online (not all brands list the weight in the specs - but usually the ones with a reputed light weight seem to, leaving me to think that the ones that don't are due to them being heavier than others???). I'll post it soon as a separate post: LIGHT WEIGHT WAVE SAILS, once I have collected more data. I'm only collecting data on the lighter sails in the brands ranges, not everything.

The brands I have already are Severne, Duotone, Ezzy, Point 7, Hot Sails, Neil Pryde, Naish. (If you have verifiable data on any other brands for 2020 ranges let me know on the upcoming post).

Out of the 7 brands I have data on, only Severne and the Duotone M series Super Hero come in lighter, with Ezzy coming next. So does that make the comment justifiable "one of the lightest sails in the world"? Well, I think it does.

Here is how it goes from what I have, starting with the lightest:

Severne S1 Pro (I'm actually guessing with this one as the data isn't out yet, if it's not #1, I'm sure it will make top 3).
Severene Blade Pro
Duotone M series Super Hero
Severne S1
Severne Blade (Ezzy Wave 5.0 coming in at the same weight, but other sizes a smidge more pushing it into #6 spot)
Ezzy Wave
Ezzy Taka
Point 7 Salt
Hot Sails KS3
Hot Sails Qu4d
Neil Pryde Combat (the lightest construction they listed)
Neil PRyde Zone (the lightest construction they listed)
Naish Force 4
Duotone Super Hero (the lightest construction they listed)

Hope that's helpful, I'll post the spreadsheet soon for you to look at.

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
2 Nov 2019 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..

Gestalt said..

I was wondering where they stood in the mix as well after reading that comment, so I have been doing a bit of investigating and putting together a bit of a spread sheet with all of the data that I can find online (not all brands list the weight in the specs - but usually the ones with a reputed light weight seem to, leaving me to think that the ones that don't are due to them being heavier than others???). I'll post it soon as a separate post: LIGHT WEIGHT WAVE SAILS, once I have collected more data.

The brands I have already are Severne, Duotone, Ezzy, Point 7, Hot Sails, Neil Pryde, Naish. (If you have verifiable data on any other brands for 2020 ranges let me know on the upcoming post).

Out of the 7 brands I have data on, only Severne and the Duotone M series Super Hero come in lighter, so in my books I would say the comment is justifiable "one of the lightest sails in the world". In any case, Ezzy has been progressively reducing the weight of their sails across the ranges over the last few years and it would appear that this latest iteration has been a big step forward!!!

I'll post the spreadsheet soon for you to look at.

Avanti membrane sails are also very light. They match Severne non-pro sails for weight, but they are not quite as light as Severne pros (Avanti Echo is the only one where they decided to go super light). They seem to be more robust than Severne sails.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
2 Nov 2019 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers, I'll add Avanti to the spreadsheet.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
2 Nov 2019 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

great work i was going to do the same but been on the water all day.

just comparing to the s1 pro the ezzy is about half a kilo heavier.

ill see if i can find any data as well.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
2 Nov 2019 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

I've just done a post over in the Wave Sailing forum if u want to take a look at the spread sheet so far.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
3 Nov 2019 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

so its pretty clear the ezzy is not one of the lightest wave sails. it's about a half kilo heavier than the lightest and when combined with the ezzy mast ends up being about a kilo heavier.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
3 Nov 2019 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

I guess it really comes down to how you look at it, "one of", one of how many??? If ur looking at every wave sail available today and they make it into the top ten, does that make them one of the lightest???Yes/No/Maybe, if u really want to u could make the argument for any of those answers.... #semantics.

But I do agree, and at the end of the day, the reality is that the 3 membrane sails (Severne and Duotone) are significantly lighter - really putting them in a league of their own. If I was to make the statement "one of the lightest sails in the world" I would want it to be compared to those.

Anyway.... looking forward to seeing how the Ezzy Wave's and the 2020 Taka feel on the water compared to the old ones with those weight savings though!!!

uweh
311 posts
3 Nov 2019 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

How about 5-oceans sails...there are really light as well...

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
3 Nov 2019 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

great pickup. love the colours.

on their facebook page they list the 5.1m sail as 2.7kg.

Jeroensurf
894 posts
4 Nov 2019 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..

5-Oceans are custom sails so you can go with them as fancy as you want.Hotsails got the KSSpider as well, being lighter as the normal KS3, same level as the Normal S1I guess that Bigdaz compares info from the brands websites and my experience is that especially weight of some brands can be taken with a pinch of salt while for others you almost need a a Shovel. I know from my own experience that the older P7 sails where 700gr heavier as listed. NP more or less the same....and that is taking in account that not every 5.0 is really 5.0. (NP Atlas6.2 was for years a 6.6!)
With mast you see funnily often the opposite: people think a heavier mast is stronger so they list an sensible number while building it lighter so don,t trust tose number too much.
Back to Ezzy: IMO they aren,t as light as the Membranes, but shifted from the more weighthy sails to the lighter side of the middle. The rig doensnt feel as light and sporty as an Hot KSS with an Ultra mast and a Severne Pro S1 with there 100% mast, but the build quality is also different. More important as dead weight is to me the feel:
The Ezzy,s are not as lightning fast and direct as the Pro,s, but have a slightly composed handling.Not too soft but softer and more friendly to the body. I found them less exhausting as for example my older KS3 and KSS and the whole Severne Squad. The Ezzy masts are weightier as my old Hot Ultra,s but they really suit the sails way better as expected. the total sum is definitely better as the single parts. Carwise; A Mercedes GT feel instead of Ferrari(red)?

Personally I tried lots of different stuff before buying this and I don,t think the lighter Pro sails added performance for me despite the higher pricetag and lesser durability compared to the Ezzy,s. The Pro,s add a different feel but imo not sure if that suits everybody (at least it didn't suit me).

Crunching numbers is important, but it can,t beat feel.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
7 Nov 2019 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..

I can't find a website with any data for these??? Are they only custom? If you have a link, let me know and I'll add the data.

We are getting a bit off topic here as well - I have a separate post in the "Wave" forum specifically about light weight sails.

Jeroensurf
894 posts
9 Nov 2019 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

www.5-oceans.com/ and yes it's only custom.matthew burridge the owner/sailmaker is a very skilled (and friendly) guy making lovely sails by hand.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
5 Dec 2019 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Nice review of the Ezzy Wave in the latest edition of Windsurf mag.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
30 Dec 2019 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Just picked up my new sails

Very stoked!!! They feel nice and light and have that "Ezzy" eye for detail in the construction, can't wait to get them on the water. Review to follow. Here are some pics- Ezzy Wave 4.2 and 4.7 and Taka 5.3.

PPMAUI
12 posts
31 Dec 2019 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Just ordered the same combo but won't be able to sail with them until March. Really interested to hear your review.

Particularly as I went from Elite 5.7 to Taka 5.3 as a replacement and Elite 5.0 (my best sail ever) to Wave 4.7. Enjoy your 2020 sessions !

PPMAUI
12 posts
31 Dec 2019 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Just ordered the same combo but won't be able to sail with them until March. Really interested to hear your review.

Particularly as I went from Elite 5.7 to Taka 5.3 as a replacement and Elite 5.0 (my best sail ever) to Wave 4.7. Enjoy your 2020 sessions !

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
1 Jan 2020 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Ok, so I haven't had a chance to use the new Ezzy Wave yet, but I have had the New 2020 Taka 5.3 out twice now. I might as well share my thoughts. The first session was extremely light, barely float and ride, in fact it took me about 15 minutes just to get off the beach, but then it picked up slightly to maybe 10-12knts and got me out.
You can really feel the lightness of the sail in the hands and being physically lighter is an added bonus as well, and definitely makes a big difference in those light airs. Lots of low end grunt as well with the down haul on the Min 2 setting - pulls like a 5.7. The waves weren't great, but the lightness in the hands really stood out.
Second session. Gusty 15-23knts. Set the down haul to Med setting. Once again nice and light in the hands, great early planing and smooth in transitions. I haven't had a Taka in my quiver since earlier this year and as soon as I got it on the wave I remembered why I loved them so much and I'm stoked to have one again. It's ability get you into waves early with its low end grunt and then be able to dump all that power and feel feather light in the bottom turn/top turn and then switching back on as needed - it's an awesome feeling!!! I'm feeling very tempted to pick up a 5.0 as well - will wait and see though. Hopefully I can get the 4.7 Ezzy Wave wet very soon. The anticipation is killing me!!!
Will keep you posted.

PPMAUI
12 posts
1 Jan 2020 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thx Bigdaz. Sounds good. 5.3 Taka should pair well with Cube 93 2020.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
4 Jan 2020 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PPMAUI said..
Thx Bigdaz. Sounds good. 5.3 Taka should pair well with Cube 93 2020.

Yeah, that would be a perfect combo. I'm loving my 5.3 with my 92 Pyramid 2020.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
11 Jan 2020 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Today I finally got the Ezzy Wave on the water.
It was blowing very gusty up to 35knts, I rigged my 4.2 and after a couple of quick re-tunes I ended up with it on max down haul and max out haul. I paired it with my 83L Quatro Pyramid. The sail looks the goods rigged (I'll try to remember to take a photo) and you can feel that it's definitely physically lighter in the hands - so I was super keen to get it on the water and see if this lighter weight translated to a lighter feel in use. And I'm happy to say that it does. This sail feels amazing - it really does feel lighter in the hands, it's got lots of grunt but is still really balanced and easy to use - even in those gusty conditions. Nice and light in transition, jibes, duck jibes, tacks etc all felt great. The swell on the other hand wasn't really lining up on the point, so more details on how it goes there later, keen to see how it de-powers compared to the Taka (that goes completely neutral). Anyway, awesome first impressions and I'll let you know how I continue to get on with it - looking forward now to trying the 4.7.

northy1
434 posts
14 Jan 2020 2:37AM
Thumbs Up

keen to learn how the new taka vs wave feel / perform, and the thinking of which one you should choose if building a new quiver!

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
16 Jan 2020 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..
keen to learn how the new taka vs wave feel / perform, and the thinking of which one you should choose if building a new quiver!

Yeah, me too. That's why I got the 5.3 in the Taka and 4.7, 4.2 in the Wave. As I didn't have any reviews to go by I just went by trying to read between the lines from the release info and previous experience with the Taka and Elite. My thoughts were the Taka for my light wind sail, float n ride and early planing in lighter winds - predominantly in cross off. As I've had previous versions of the Taka I know it goes great in those conditions and is still quite stable and balanced when the wind picks up (lot's of range) + the 2020 is lighter as well. As I had the 2019 Elites and the Wave has replaced them, I based my presumptions that the Wave would have similar characteristics, with the bonus of being lighter physically, and in the hands, and better than the Taka in gusty wind conditions (which is generally what I get in 4.7 and 4.2 weather). So far I feel it's a good combo having them both, but still waiting to get the "Wave" out in proper waves.

Anyway, will keep you posted!!!

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
16 Jan 2020 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bigdaz,

I saw your last season Elites for sale recently and nearly gave you a call on them but decided against it as I like the 5.8, 5.0, 4.2 quiver spacing that I currently have (I'm about 88kg so possibly heavier than you).

I have a quiver of the Panther 3 (I bought them new as a superseded model but they have still done about 7 seasons now). Anyway, the 5.8 and 5.0 need to be replaced and I'm weighing up the Ezzy Waves or may be a 5.8 Zeta and a 5.0 wave.

I sail Sydney's ocean beaches but it's more often onshore bump and jump rather than DTL wavesailing. I dislike being under powered and slogging. Do the Waves have plenty of grunt and make a suitable all rounder? I understand the Zeta has more built in shape (like the Panthers) which potentially makes them gruntier (also possibly gives them more range) but the downside is that they don't go neutral for wavesailing. I don't suppose you've tried the Zeta?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Ben

seabreezer
377 posts
16 Jan 2020 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Just a general point / pet pieve - in post above and always hearing this POV down the beach / on forums - classic comments re wavesails HAVING to go neutral to be a true wavesail and waveride with - ........ in my experience is a total myth ... Body positioning and how you move the hands / sail MORE determine if a sail goes ' neutral' off the top - or even needs to go neutral more to the point ! .... Its all in the body language and skills learnt ... Ive got another brands sail - that has lots of preshape and defo not a classic ON/OFF power delivery - yet I can throw it into exactly the same turns etc as my other sails - and in some ways you can make that board turn BETTER with that steady power - once you know how to exploit it / where to park it / what to do with the body positioning to pre-empt it . Its all about techniques and setting up any body & sail placements with 'pre' move techniques ....

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
16 Jan 2020 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gonebush said..
Hi Bigdaz,

I saw your last season Elites for sale recently and nearly gave you a call on them but decided against it as I like the 5.8, 5.0, 4.2 quiver spacing that I currently have (I'm about 88kg so possibly heavier than you).

I have a quiver of the Panther 3 (I bought them new as a superseded model but they have still done about 7 seasons now). Anyway, the 5.8 and 5.0 need to be replaced and I'm weighing up the Ezzy Waves or may be a 5.8 Zeta and a 5.0 wave.

I sail Sydney's ocean beaches but it's more often onshore bump and jump rather than DTL wavesailing. I dislike being under powered and slogging. Do the Waves have plenty of grunt and make a suitable all rounder? I understand the Zeta has more built in shape (like the Panthers) which potentially makes them gruntier (also possibly gives them more range) but the downside is that they don't go neutral for wavesailing. I don't suppose you've tried the Zeta?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,
Yes, the Wave's have plenty of bottom end grunt. I'd go for the 5.8 Wave and 5.0 Wave if I was in your shoes, or potentially even the 5.5 instead of the 5.8 - the reason being the 5.5 is a 4 baton and 5.8 is 5, the 5.5 also rigs on a slightly shorter mast and is also another 200 grams lighter... anyway something to consider. The Wave will also be substantially lighter than the Zeta, which can be another benefit to aid early planing. I haven't used the Zeta, so can't comment on their performance, but Graham Ezzy is a "solid" guy and he seems to have switched from mostly using the Zeta to the Wave now and he likes/needs a powerful early planing sail, so I guess read into that however u like. Pull the trigger on the Waves's, I don't think u will be disappointed

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
16 Jan 2020 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Just a general point / pet pieve - in post above and always hearing this POV down the beach / on forums - classic comments re wavesails HAVING to go neutral to be a true wavesail and waveride with - ........ in my experience is a total myth ... Body positioning and how you move the hands / sail MORE determine if a sail goes ' neutral' off the top - or even needs to go neutral more to the point ! .... Its all in the body language and skills learnt ... Ive got another brands sail - that has lots of preshape and defo not a classic ON/OFF power delivery - yet I can throw it into exactly the same turns etc as my other sails - and in some ways you can make that board turn BETTER with that steady power - once you know how to exploit it / where to park it / what to do with the body positioning to pre-empt it . Its all about techniques and setting up any body & sail placements with 'pre' move techniques ....

I hear what u r saying and would definitely agree that a sail doesn't have to go completely neutral to be a wave sail. In my opinion though, there are sails that naturally go more "neutral" than others. If u were to grade them on some sort of scale then u would have some at either end at the extremes and the rest scattered somewhere between those two points. For my 2019 sails I chose the Elites, and I was a bit nervous after having the Taka's that I might not get on well with them as I really like the way the Taka's went completely neutral in transition and on the wave when positioned correctly, but I really wanted to give them a run, so just went for it. After getting comfortable with the Elites (which didn't take long - very nice sails) I found that even though they wouldn't go completely neutral that it was just a matter of understanding where and how the power was and re-poisoning hands and sail to still have a very light feeling controllable sail. So yes, body/hand position will go a long way to having a sail release and feel more neutral. The main difference for me was that the Taka went neutral almost automatically, I didn't have to really think about it. Where with the Elite, it had more of a constant, controllable power and never had that completely neutral feeling - not better or worse, just different. Both are awesome wave sails!!!

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
17 Jan 2020 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Bigdaz, that's usual info.

Cheers

Gonebush
NSW, 160 posts
17 Jan 2020 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..

You are easily peeved if that annoys you!

However, I admit that my technique is a bit poor and I also tend to wave sail fully powered or overpowered (I'm not really into slog and ride) so both of those things mean I am probably not creating the optimal set-up for DTL sailing.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Ezzy "WAVE" Sail - Brand New for 2020" started by bigdaz