Created by aussieboats > 9 months ago, 4 Sep 2018
Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
13 Nov 2018 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boombuster said..
Woo Hoo

6.3 7.1 and 7.9 Race all good thanks for the speedy delivery.

Got to use the new 7.9 today I found a big improvement in the rotation rigged on a SDM sail felt light and a stable draft the big boom cut out was good also. I sailed with Mr Keen who used his also he was very happy as well.

GazMan
WA, 840 posts
13 Nov 2018 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

GazMan said..
If the 2018 Koncept specs were one size out (which looks likely!) then can someone please tell me what the proper specs are for the 2018 and 2019 Koyotes? (specifically 5.3, 5.9 & 6.6).

Hi GazMan.
I just rigged the 2019 6.6m Koyote, (which has unchanged dimensions from 2018), and it rigged spot on to the specs on the sail on my 430 RDM mast, as I expected.
Keep in mind that rigging on a different RDM mast, and especially on an SDM mast may change the downhaul setting slightly. (Probably less then 1cm). I am confident the specs were correct on the 2018 Koyote and all the other Koyote sizes.

I also just rigged a 2019 5.8m KULT, and it too rigged spot on to printed specs.

Thanks so much Andrew!!!

w100
WA, 238 posts
14 Nov 2018 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

When it comes to tastes they are very personal and there is no right or wrong.
In my opinion any brand should be easily recognizable and Ka sails have great colors combo to achieve that. They are very easy to spot when course is undergoing as they flash everybody watching. Plus the tiny MY's graph changes is a great feature for used market. Really hope they will continue that.
Talking about the Race and Koncept they look more sexy than ever. Great to see the wider luff pocket and the more twisted leech. on both models. It should makes for a more direct feel and sail reaction. More nose lift too.
Keen to read new feedback asap!

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
14 Nov 2018 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

That Kult looks sweet Daffy

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
14 Nov 2018 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Id defo take a blue over the red if offered for the KAR or Koncept

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
15 Nov 2018 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

First test 2019 7m knocept , really nice profile much deeper and clean very light as well

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
15 Nov 2018 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

I wish you guys would stop with these pics!! Slowy says the WA ones won't get here till Friday,

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
15 Nov 2018 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

And no blue ones with cams

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
15 Nov 2018 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
I wish you guys would stop with these pics!! Slowy says the WA ones won't get here till Friday,

So i won't tell you how good my 7.9 felt when i used it today!

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
16 Nov 2018 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

decrepit said..

So i won't tell you how good my 7.9 felt when i used it today!

We all feel BLUE thinking about it...

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
16 Nov 2018 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely feeling Blue now.

Thanks to photoshop

GazMan
WA, 840 posts
16 Nov 2018 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Stunning looking sails!!! Thanks Martin & Peter.

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
16 Nov 2018 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Thanks to photoshop

Nnnoooio!

Any other colours. How about custom. Thread too

poehaaa
63 posts
17 Nov 2018 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

I still have the very good looking white and orange Koncepts ... as soon as the yellow is replaced with white I will start saving for new sails!

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
17 Nov 2018 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Do it green and gold

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
17 Nov 2018 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Took a 2019 Koyote 6.6 for a blast today on my Masterblaster 66. Awesome sail, felt rock solid and really fast and how great is the gybe on a RAF sail. I had a really fun session on this gear. If you want a blasting sail but aren't interested in cams then this is it!!

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
17 Nov 2018 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Got my 6.2 and 4.7 today, the 6.2 is fantastic rotates in 0kts with a light pump, but this is with my kilwell matrix 5 mast, that are slightly reduced diam.
Not everything was perfect though.
The 4.7 didn't want to rotate on my new KA 100% carbon mast. I had to grind 3mm slots in all cambers to make them loose enough for rotation. The head pegs on both sails were also tucked down inside the luff pockets, and it took a bit of fiddling to get them lined up and into the mast.

Really looking forward to some wind so I can try them out!

w100
WA, 238 posts
17 Nov 2018 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Got my 6.2 and 4.7 today, the 6.2 is fantastic rotates in 0kts with a light pump, but this is with my kilwell matrix 5 mast, that are slightly reduced diam.
Not everything was perfect though.
The 4.7 didn't want to rotate on my new KA 100% carbon mast. I had to grind 3mm slots in all cambers to make them loose enough for rotation. The head pegs on both sails were also tucked down inside the luff pockets, and it took a bit of fiddling to get them lined up and into the mast.

Really looking forward to some wind so I can try them out!

Is it possible the cams are so tight in order to increase pressure and sail stability in strong wind? 4.7 is supposed to work in 40 kts. I guess there is enough pressure to make them rotate easily.

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
17 Nov 2018 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..
Is it possible the cams are so tight in order to increase pressure and sail stability in strong wind? 4.7 is supposed to work in 40 kts. I guess there is enough pressure to make them rotate easily.

At 65Kg I'll be using it in much less than that, and poor sail rotation is something I can do without. After the mod there is no appreciable slack between luff pocket and mast at the cams, the pinch test doesn't give enough material to form a fold. So I don't think any change in stability would be noticeable. Before the mod the luff was very tight on the mast at the cams, it was a struggle to get some of them on.

And I think tight cams increasing stability in high winds is a fallacy, wind pressure is helping the cams hold the sail away from the mast.
It's light winds, where loose cams allow the sail to loose draft

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
18 Nov 2018 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Thats strange Decrepit...We rigged Daffys 4.7 the day the sails arrived and the rotation was spot on. It will have come with RDM cams fitted. The head plug is always offset a bit when the sail comes from the factory, just the way they assemble them, so the first rig is a bit fiddly getting it lined up. Once it has been rigged and downhauled it aligns itself and is fine after that.
Hope you get enough wind to see what that 4.7 can do !!

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
18 Nov 2018 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Weird, maybe mine's a one off. There is a tight spot where the luff sleeve meets the main sail under the boom, perhaps the sowing machine went a little off course. Anyway it's no big deal I'm sure it will work fine.

Mr Keen
QLD, 572 posts
22 Nov 2018 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

First use of the 6.3 race yesterday. Very happy with the stability in 25 knots usually i would be running off with my tail between my legs to rig smaller

John340
QLD, 3137 posts
22 Nov 2018 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

On the same day as Mr Keen, with my new Koncept 5.7

A few of issues rigging out of the bag:
- No 2,3 & 4 cams were upside down
- I rigged with 412 luff, the sail has 419 on the foot
- It was a bit fiddly to locate the head pin

It rotated beautifully and felt great in the 25+kt wind

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
22 Nov 2018 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

John....Earlier in the thread Daffy mentioned that the Luff print on the 5.7 is wrong, totally my fault, a brain fade. The actual will be 412-414. The fiddly head pin is a first rig issue only, once it aligns it will stay there.

Thanks Martin

John340
QLD, 3137 posts
22 Nov 2018 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..
John....Earlier in the thread Daffy mentioned that the Luff print on the 5.7 is wrong, totally my fault, a brain fade. The actual will be 412-414. The fiddly head pin is a first rig issue only, once it aligns it will stay there.

Thanks Martin

Its a great sail Martin.

decrepit
WA, 12161 posts
22 Nov 2018 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

I'm well aware that once set the head pin will be fine. My concern is, that some sailors may not check it.
To be safe, a warning note wouldn't go astray. And as John says it is fiddly, I ended up trying pliers and screw drivers. But in the end pushing on the high end of the plug while exerting mast pressure, tuned it a little. Repeating this several times eventually got it lined up.

The 6.2 was easier than the 4.7, which was really twisted.

John340
QLD, 3137 posts
22 Nov 2018 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
I'm well aware that once set the head pin will be fine. My concern is, that some sailors may not check it.
To be safe, a warning note wouldn't go astray. And as John says it is fiddly, I ended up trying pliers and screw drivers. But in the end pushing on the high end of the plug while exerting mast pressure, tuned it a little. Repeating this several times eventually got it lined up.

The 6.2 was easier than the 4.7, which was really twisted.

Mike is right, I fully down hauled before I noticed the problem and when I fitted it properly It was a two person job for me, one lining up the pin and one pushing the mast through.

Once sorted, the sail is an absolute belter. I had a 2 kt improvement (39 compared to 37) in 2 sec over my 2016 KARace 6.3 using the same board, fin at the same location in the same wind and tide 2 weeks ago

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
24 Nov 2018 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Head pin on Koncept - first rigging.

Well, I gess it's too late for those who have mentioned and done it it already, but the way i was shown to do it, which I find is pretty easy, is to insert the mast just short of the pin a few cm. Then push the pin down into the mast tip with your fingers. After you get it lined up it slips in pretty easily. Then completely push the mast home and downhaul.

There is deliberately, a little more room left at the head this year to make is easier to get a finger in to check the alignment, but it is always easier to do before you push the mast full hard up.

As mentioned already. Once it is lined up it tends to stay that way, but I always check it when I push the mast in the first few times to be safe.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
24 Nov 2018 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed the 4.7m Koncept Speed yesterday morning at Sandy Point.

Wow!

The conditions were brutal! The wind was far too South West to get broad and go fast, and it was 35, gusting 40 knots, which is Manic on a tight course. But the sail felt super stable and the CoE was definitly lower in the sail and feeling easier to manage the insane gusts.

The conditions were so brutal and the course so square, that after two runs I decided it was safer and more sensible to give it a miss and wait for the afternoon tide, hoping conditions would improve. (They did )

Sorry i didnt get a better action shot, but I snapped this when I got in. Dont be deceived by the gassy water. This was well in behind the dunes. It was still Manic 200m away.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
6 Dec 2018 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

2019 KA Koyote 6.6m. First ride.

I cheeky little Easterly kicked in at around 15 knots this arvo, so I though I should ask for a dance. Good chance to try out the new 6.6m Koyote. I had not really sailed one of these for quite a while so it was a very interesting experience. Different, but fun. CoE slightly further back so has to move harness lines. This also made me feel like I was going to spin out, and I did a few times going upwind even though that is the fin I would normally use. I think it would be beter with a slightly larger one. Gybing was effortless and the sail felt light in the gybes. But the Koncept feels lighter in the hands on the runs - even though it is actually heavier. But I found this with the Race as well which is heavier again, but on the reaches the Race feels super easy and light in the hands. However, in the gybes it is a lot more physical than the Koncept.
I played with the settings and found a little more outhaul had it feeling very nice. On the Koncepts I would normally run the batten touching the boom, sometimes quite heavily, but on the Koyote, it liked it better a couple of cm off the boom. That meant one more notch on the boom extension than the recommended with my RDM mast. It may be different with an SDM. Anyhow, I had a very nice time and it was good fun to use something a bit different.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"First look at the 2019 ka Sails" started by aussieboats