RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
22 Nov 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yuppy said..
aribenasher

Thanks

Post the board review please

Yuppy, For the purposes of private study and research and for no other purposes here is a link:

boardseekermag.com/features/video-goya-118-test-preview/

Here is a small extract...take out a subscription and support this publication !

Cheers............

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
4 Dec 2014 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

aribenasher said..

Yuppy said..
aribenasher

Thanks

Post the board review please

Yuppy, For the purposes of private study and research and for no other purposes here is a link:

boardseekermag.com/features/video-goya-118-test-preview/

Here is a small extract...take out a subscription and support this publication !

Cheers............

Dick the vet (~105kg?) sails the 118 at Margs (solid waves, usually with a fair bit of chop to bottom turn through) and raves about it.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
7 Dec 2014 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Where are you guys putting the mast base to maximise early planing? Haven't taken a straight edge to it yet.....

I was right on the planing threshold yesterday (1st time on the board) and found once pumped onto the plane it would stay there. But mast base dead centre and slightly behind centre felt the same. Didn't get to try forward

Jens
WA, 342 posts
8 Dec 2014 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Where are you guys putting the mast base to maximise early planing? Haven't taken a straight edge to it yet.....

I was right on the planing threshold yesterday (1st time on the board) and found once pumped onto the plane it would stay there. But mast base dead centre and slightly behind centre felt the same. Didn't get to try forward

Hi Mark,

Not sure about its effect on early planing, but I'm putting mine almost all the way forward to maximize flow down the line. In fact I hardly ever plane on this board, because if I can, I'd rather be on the smaller one. Float and ride though-can't fault it. Goes upwind really well, and you can chat to the surfers if you like when the wind is light...

Cheers, Jens

KEVKEV
74 posts
8 Dec 2014 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

"I was right on the planing threshold yesterday"

"In fact I hardly ever plane on this board"

Sounds great....!!!! ...

masse
41 posts
8 Dec 2014 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KEVKEV said..
"I was right on the planing threshold yesterday"

"In fact I hardly ever plane on this board"

Sounds great....!!!! ...

My impression is rather that this is his float n ride board, used to bob out and then ride back in. Hence, when the wind is up for him to plane on this board, he is able to use a smaller or other board. His focus is all about how it is on a wave, rather than early planing.

It says little, if anything, about the Goya 118 early planing capabilities. If I've read his post right.

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
8 Dec 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Dick uses it dead centre or even just behind, even with a 6.1. He's probably more concerned about balance/pointing when chugging and turning than early planning though.
I've found on the Quattro 110 with anything bigger than 5.3 that I need to push it forward of centre - 3/4 or so on my 5.7 - to balance the board. Any further back and it doesn't feel balanced or want to point when chugging and gets too slidey off the top. The Goya has a lot more fin area though.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
21 Feb 2015 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

I now agree. All this talk of mast base forward is light guys doing float and ride, trying to get enough mast base pressure in a bottom turn IMHO.
For a bigger dude using the board in planing conditions, you want the base back. Maybe 1-3cm behind midpoint, like most boards I find.
As the board is NOT an early planer you need the base back to be able to pop the board up and overcome the nose rocker ploughing thru water.
Much of my early frustration came from this mast base forward advice.
I am at a loss to explain this lack of early planing as magazine reviews said that the Quatro Cube and Goya quad were the slowest to plane. I find the Quatro remarkably good!
All I can think of is the mag review talks about in 90L or 100L sizes............ but 118L Goya is just so big that it really is designed to maximise wave rides and bugger the planing.
Put it this way - as a 100kg guy I rode the 118L Goya with a 5.8 and it was really nice, but a workout with pumping after every gybe. I then sailed my 100L RRD quad easier, with better turning etc. So why even take the 118 out.....
It picked up a tiinnyyy bit and I got on a 90L Quatro Cube and planed easily.
So really the 118L Goya is a niche board for a few days a year.

After hating it initially, I now like the board on a wave but
(1) it is not a big guy's one board solution. By the time the 118L planes with a 5.7, I can easily go use my 100L RRD quad with same sail and have more fun
It is to extend time on water in nice waves, for normal people..........not to get big fellas more planing time

(2) it needs lot of pumping and a good amount of footwork to pop onto the plane, but when it does OMG does it stay there!!!! Glide thru lulls is amazing

(3) the wave riding ability is good, but not stellar. The above review does not reflect my experience, it certainly does not do backfoot riding as well as many, it needs perfect weight forward rail engaged riding style, preferably on good waves.
I find it is great with 5.8 and 6.2 well powered so it has lots of sail power to drive it and keep the rail engaged
I had my best top turn all year on it....... but the bottom turn needs good technique

(4) lack of fin adjustment is a pain in the arse. You have 10mm adjust on the mains and none on the sides and that is crap.
The wide stance (60cm ish) is a pain and can't be corrected by moving straps else you the stuff up the wave riding. But you get used to the latter a bit....
I spend a LOT of time planing with the back foot out of the strap.

BUT the reason I have this board is due to the awesome warranty of Goya. When others duck and dive and avoid claims, Goya are great. Big hi-5 to Goya for that, and to Mark at Surf Sail Aust for helping heaps.

Also, I have now repaired a 94L Goya quad which had a ding, and I can tell you the construction is top notch. The double sandwich where it matters is brilliant.

jwd
40 posts
22 Mar 2015 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

i dropped my weight from 205# to 190# and still like some of the advantages of the 118. I ride it as a twin with the next size down mfc fins- if that makes a difference to anybody. I have to this point used 4.5 to 5.3 old school 5 batton sails; but will be getting a new 5.7 4 batton sail as my new light wind sail in the near future. I enjoy more of the schlogg and ride aspects to the board- am certainely not thinking of this board as a planing machine. Don't really like it so much in sloopy surf. I feel the board is in its groove when placed on the propper part of the wave..when in the pocket the board works amazingly well imho...

Jens
WA, 342 posts
7 Apr 2015 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jwd said..
hey guys, hope all is well...
Jens- i've taken her out as a twin in side/side offish locations in small to well over mast high mushier waves and she just kills it as a twin.maybe not quite as grippy as w/ a quad- but more responsive and quicker to get to the lip than as a quad perhaps...

at another location its 20 /30 * side onshore w/ faster more powerful waves- and w/ almost 100% certainty can say the twin makes it easier to get better/quicker multi lip hits on the pitching bomb waves - i believe- than the quad...

could be wrong though....
cheers
jd

also- i used to hate to ride 'er in powered up conditions as a quad- the extra drag of te quad made it really unpleasant to ride- for me at least.. but since changin 'er to a twin it is soo much more fun to ride when powered - up..
also have to note that i did also change frm a 4 batton 5.6 back to an older 5 batton 5.6 sail which also- i'm sure , made a difference....

Hi JWD,

I tried this on the weekend, and wish I'd done it about a year ago. The 118 as a twin is so much looser than as a quad. This season I've really been favouring the 94, and whenever I jumped onto the 118 was disappointed that the big girl took a while to get cracking in the waves. In fact this caused me some heart in mouth moments on the bigger days when I see a lip looming way above me, while I seem to be standing still waiting to get hit, all the while pushing her as hard as I can down the line! So on Sunday I took your advice and removed the quad helper fins, and now that brake on take-off seems to be gone. The board is so much livelier, and goes vertical much more quickly than before. Basically it improves the fun factor heaps, and I haven't noticed any downside. I didn't notice any loss in pointing ability, only upsides, so those fins are staying out of the board. Now I'm wondering what riding the 94 as a twin would do for that board...

Cheers, Jens

uweh
311 posts
7 Apr 2015 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jens,

which fins do you use in the twin mode on the 118 (how about yout weight ?)...the both of the quad set up or other bigger ones ?

thanks in advance

Jens
WA, 342 posts
8 Apr 2015 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
Hi Jens,

which fins do you use in the twin mode on the 118 (how about yout weight ?)...the both of the quad set up or other bigger ones ?

thanks in advance

Hi Uweh,

Neither! The 2014 118 came with MFC 18 cm fins originally. I snapped one of these and had to replace it with the 17 cm fins that the 94 uses. So now I'm running one 17 & one 18 cm fin. Seems to work OK though. I note that JD uses only 17 cm fins on his, so it's probably no big deal to mix them up I guess. I'm about 93 kg at the moment and using a 5.7 as my biggest sail, mast foot as far forward as I can.

Cheers, Jens

uweh
311 posts
8 Apr 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jens ,

thanks for fast answer !

uwe

masse
41 posts
10 Apr 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting read, and confirms my own findings when it comes to light wind wave sailing with larger boards. Twin fins are nice on larger wave boards, me thinks.

I've tried different set-ups (tri, quad, twin) on my 100 L board (Simmer), which I use with a 5.7 or 5.3 in light winds. Sometimes even with a 4.7, if the wind is up and down a lot.

And I've ended up almost exclusively using it as a twin. To me, it gives the best combo of ease to get going, ease of initiating and adjusting a turn and just plain fun. It rides more free and it is easy to keep it going through lulls. Also, when I drop in when sub-planing, it is easy to get into the straps and get a quick bottom turn done.

When conditions get more serious, I prefer the stability, control and connection that a quad gives, but then I will be on a smaller board. In light winds and/or fluky conditions in less-than-perfect and not very big waves, twin fins have returned to be my favorite setup.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
10 Apr 2015 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ is 100L big?

masse
41 posts
11 Apr 2015 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

At 78 kgs, maybe. 63.3 wide, so not an arrow exactly. The board, that is.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
13 Apr 2015 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
^^^ is 100L big?

Select to expand quote
masse said..
Interesting read, and confirms my own findings when it comes to light wind wave sailing with larger boards. Twin fins are nice on larger wave boards, me thinks.

I've tried different set-ups (tri, quad, twin) on my 100 L board (Simmer), which I use with a 5.7 or 5.3 in light winds. Sometimes even with a 4.7, if the wind is up and down a lot.

And I've ended up almost exclusively using it as a twin. To me, it gives the best combo of ease to get going, ease of initiating and adjusting a turn and just plain fun. It rides more free and it is easy to keep it going through lulls. Also, when I drop in when sub-planing, it is easy to get into the straps and get a quick bottom turn done.

When conditions get more serious, I prefer the stability, control and connection that a quad gives, but then I will be on a smaller board. In light winds and/or fluky conditions in less-than-perfect and not very big waves, twin fins have returned to be my favorite setup.

I'm looking forward to working this out. The day that I turned the 118 into a twin we had up to solid 3/4 mast high and the board handled that beautifully, with no sign of the bottom turn being undone by wave power, despite lots of apparent wind from the cross off winds. In fact I felt a lot more secure than in previous bigger days when as a quad there was a palpable delay in climbing back up the face, making me think that the whole lot was about to come crashing down on me. Let's see what happens on the next big light wind day, but I reckon that the big old girl will do OK as long as that rail is securely set.

Troppo
WA, 887 posts
13 Apr 2015 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

You might get that trial this week Jens!

having used all the sizes except 118 in the Goya range and owning a custom quatro quad/thruster since 2012 I would recommend moving the mast track further back Almost as far as it will go. Straps in the rear holes at the back and whatever spread suits your legs gap in the front strap holes. Maybe even drop boom height a fraction to help with rail pressure.

Not so fussed about early planning when waves are cooking as long as you can get up wind to the peak. Only time you need to be planning is when tea bags are out and getting pick of sets due to mobility.

It's a trade off between having a setup that you can fang around on easily or one that you want to use/ trust when conditions fire.

jwd
40 posts
13 Apr 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jens,
weird how a simple fin change can make such a difference, dosn't it?-

i've been using the twin fin set up basically since i got the 118 a while back-- really, using the next mfc fin set down from stock makes a world of difference ( ie using the G 94 L fin set); and yes- moving the mast track down past middle helps- also- having the footstraps all the way forward on front and all the ways backwords in back helps .....

Honestly though, I just can't help but wonder what a single fin on this board- with a slightly faster rocker, with one of those funky fast JP wave fins- would be like for us heavier guys in really light wind & descent wave conditions .....bitchin I bet :-) !! .....
edit...
postscript/later afterthoughts...I have evan thought of putting a pair of K4 'rockets' on her as my twin set.. the board has plenty of shape for waves as i see it..i just need something to make the ole girl go faster/quicker on the wave face...thoughts??

Jens
WA, 342 posts
14 Apr 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jwd said..

edit...
postscript/later afterthoughts...I have evan thought of putting a pair of K4 'rockets' on her as my twin set.. the board has plenty of shape for waves as i see it..i just need something to make the ole girl go faster/quicker on the wave face...thoughts??

Hi JD,

This is another interesting idea. The board certainly got quicker on the wave after losing the quad helpers. What was your experience when you went from 18 to 17 cm? Did it become faster/more responsive again? If so I guess you are thinking you might go even more in this direction with even smaller fins? Did you find any downsides in pointing capacity or sail control when you have your biggest sail up?

I'm surprised you choose the rocket though, I figured you'd go the flex option here, or do you think you'd lose the light wind capacity of the 118 this way?

Cheers, Jens

jwd
40 posts
14 Apr 2015 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jens,
No, no loss in any functionality at all by going down 1 size from the stock fins (as a twin) in my experience- the board goes up wind just fine, releases easier/quicker on the wave when pumping the sail in light conditions, feals looser/free-er on the wave face and makes sailing powered up in general more of a pleasure. I may have mentioned previously- that i do not think of this board as a planing machine-- i so enjoy gag and ride (on the wave face) w/ this board. with that said- i used to totally Hate riding the 118 powered up as a quad, or evan as a twin w/ the bigger stock fins-- too much drag for my taste. The next smaller down size fins (the stock 94 L fins) as a twin made the board worlds different/more pleasureable for me, especially on the wave.

The reason i'm thinking the k4 rockets over any of the other choices is this....
as a heavier guy i have used way bigger boards than the 118 in the surf to try to make them work in light wind conditions> I am totally into using my whole body weight to make the board turn where I want it to go. What i have always noticed- and craved for- was to make the bigger boards move more quickly to get to the lip; just what you had mentioned earlier. The 118 has the shape , i believe- to turn well on the wave, especially if on the propper part of the wave..what i am looking for is a way to (1) get the board to release quicker when pumping the sail in order to get on the wave in real light wind conditions and (2) to be able to get down the line quicker and be able to get from the bottom of the wave to the top quicker then w/ the stock fins. I don't think a flexier fin will do that as much as the 'rockets' might..once again- i don't mind throwing my body weight behind a turn on the wave, though others might...

<div>on a side note, I finally got a new school 4 batton 5.6 sail to go w/ the 118..had an awesome session w/ it yesterday in really light conditions w/ good waves..just me and about 15 other light weight, light wind kings-- i could actually out perform some/many of them wave count wise..
the sail is a maui sails 5.6 mutant.. freakn awesome sail that works amazingly well w/ the 118; just in case anyone was curious about a sail that might compliment the 118..now all my sails- 4.5-->5.6, including this one, all rig on the same no limitz 400 mast-- freakin awesome..!

Jens
WA, 342 posts
15 Apr 2015 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi JD,

I can really relate to using body weight to move the big 118 around-it's the only way to go isn't it? In fact I reckon that riding these bigger boards is good for technique generally because this is how you should ride the smaller ones too. Engaging the rail is so much better than standing off the back and turning from the tail I reckon...

Let us know how you get on with your next fin experiments, whether the rockets work for you or not.

In the meantime I might start using my spare 17 cm, to take it to a 2 x 17 cm twin instead of a 18 + 17 cm hybrid.

Cheers, Jens

jwd
40 posts
16 Apr 2015 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

I totally agree w/ u Jens- learning to sail the big ole girl effectively taught me more presisely where I have to be on the wave in order to make 'er turn as well as using my body weight to turn her has absolutely made my small board sailing that much better...!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya 118 Quad" started by Ezzy Sails