JP Australia 2011

Created by windsurfing4 > 9 months ago, 29 Apr 2010
windsurfing4
123 posts
29 Apr 2010 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

JP Australia Super Light Wind 90 V154 :

237 x 90cm, 154 liters, Fin Deep Tuttle Slalom-III 56, Gold and Pro Edition

www.windsurfing44.com/matos/JP_Australia/2011/JP_Australia_2011_Super_Light_Wind_90_en.pdf

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
30 Apr 2010 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

windsurfing4 said...

JP Australia 2011 Single Thruster :

It would be very interesting to see the underside of this board! Still think the colors and graphics look bloody $hite though!

bowsa
QLD, 601 posts
1 May 2010 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

...so is it a single, or a thruster, or a single/thruster convertible?

graphics are pure sh!t i recon! not that i'd buy a board because of graphics, but still you want your board to atleast look ok!

leto
273 posts
4 May 2010 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Graphics are crap indeed. I saw one pic on UK forum and thought that it was RRD

Obelix
WA, 1092 posts
4 May 2010 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

www.windsurfing44.com/matos/JP_Australia/2011/JP_Australia_2011_Super_Light_Wind_90_en.pdf

Interesting article as I was just wondering what is the concept difference between my 160L Fanatic Shark Freeride and an equivalent Formula board.
It addresses it a bit but not completely...

ULF
QLD, 261 posts
9 May 2010 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yep graphics don't inspire that's sure....ugly. It is going to be the replacement for the current wave single, except there is the option to take the blocks out and make it a thruster.

windsurfing4
123 posts
28 May 2010 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

Antoine Albeau and Micah Buzianis in action with the JP Australia Super Light Wind 90 V154 Pro et Gold Editions :

Pics Thorsten Indra / www.jp-australia.com

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
2 Jun 2010 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

not to be critical of JP but i wish they would stop calling it a new concept.

the pre formula board generation around 98-99 where exactly the same. so it's a 10 year old idea.

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
2 Jun 2010 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

So, you getting one Elmo?
I am seriously thinking about it but hate the Blue! Looks like it has an assocoation with the JP funboard range.
PS Rik did a great review...

westozwind
WA, 1393 posts
2 Jun 2010 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

What, the industry recycling ideas! Who would have thunk it
Back to Thrusters as well. They are so 90's anyway. How many will be coming out next season. Even Robby is doing one

elmo
WA, 8718 posts
2 Jun 2010 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Gesty
Agree, it's not a new concept, but then again what is, just variations on a theme

Kimba
With the amount of sailing I've racked up this autumn on fatty boombalata gear and looking at how that beastie goes it would be a brilliant addition to the collection unfortunately foods taking a priority at present

Loved the ability to pick a direction and just go

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
2 Jun 2010 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Which has greater effect on planing: board width or bigger fin?

Would like to have a super light wind setup, but I am leaning more toward simply throwing a big race fin on, as it is far cheaper.

Better bang for buck with this approach?

Also how would this new JP board handle on a reach, which is what I'd be sailing most in light wind direction?

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
2 Jun 2010 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

@westozwind - maybe the marketting team can call JP a green company. they recycle designs.

@panda - reality is either will work.

problem with 70cm fins on standard slalom boards is they have a very short wind range as you can't hold the rail down.

so wide boards are better, they handle the deeper fins better across a wider wind range and have a better drag ratio for the planing surface.

@emo - i'm good with recycling but recycling and saying it's new is false advertising

djl070
WA, 290 posts
2 Jun 2010 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

@westozwind - maybe the marketting team can call JP a green company. they recycle designs.

@panda - reality is either will work.

problem with 70cm fins on standard slalom boards is they have a very short wind range as you can't hold the rail down.

so wide boards are better, they handle the deeper fins better across a wider wind range and have a better drag ratio for the planing surface.

@emo - i'm good with recycling but recycling and saying it's new is false advertising

I tend to agree with you Gestie,it seems it is nothing new,just a re-hash of the early Formula boards,may be they could have called it a xxlarge slalom board

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Jun 2010 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

I don't see the rehash of older course boards at all. This board is all about planing and reaching with smaller sails than you'd normally use on course racing kit. What course board from any period doesn't crave more power and still loves to beam reach as the wind gets up.

If anything it's it's closer to the mega lightwind I-Sonic than anything else as it also focuses on planing and reaching.

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
3 Jun 2010 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

windaddict said...

windsurfing4 said...

JP Australia 2011 Single Thruster :

It would be very interesting to see the underside of this board! Still think the colors and graphics look bloody $hite though!

Well this is what happens when big companys like neil pryde, buy out smaller brands, i spose.. It sort of looks japanize, and kitey, it's not a jp, it's a neil pryed sailboard

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
3 Jun 2010 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

WINDSURFnSNOW said...

I don't see the rehash of older course boards at all. This board is all about planing and reaching with smaller sails than you'd normally use on course racing kit. What course board from any period doesn't crave more power and still loves to beam reach as the wind gets up.

If anything it's it's closer to the mega lightwind I-Sonic than anything else as it also focuses on planing and reaching.

so it's a new concept for JP then.

most of the other manufacturers and especially starboard have been doing it for over 10 years. a lot of us use or have used formula boards as light wind slalom boards with sails from 7-8.5m in broad reaching conditions. looking at the starboard website their early formula boards were 85-95cm wide with narrow tails. as i mentioned above.

it was only in 2002 and onweards that the board got 1m wide and very wide tails.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
3 Jun 2010 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

iSonic 150: V150* 227.5 long x 93.5 wide
Super Light Wind 90: V154 237 x 90cm
Falcon SL 145: V145 230 x 85

Any thoughts on what differences (performance) there would be between these.

mkseven
QLD, 2314 posts
3 Jun 2010 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Geez people, watch the vid. This board sits between a freeride board, slalom board and formula board.

VS formula- it is designed to comfortably reach across the wind as well as up and downwind. It isn't designed to use such big fins, has straps in more inboard position and has V throughout. You dont require deep water ports to land and launch from

VS slalom- technically slalom boards end at 85 wide. If there is a slalom series that allows the isonic in fine. The JP is designed to be more user friendly again with longer rocker, V throughout and straps slightly more in board. I dont know if Rik's comment that it goes upwind better than a slalom is true- maybe vs a 85 wide slalom since it can carry a little bigger fin and has longer waterline than most. Alot of the bigger slaloms at the moment aren't that nice to gybe- some you can get up onto the rail, some prefer to be gybed very flat. The slalom still has to have some compromise in range- ie they would all be very similar speed in 8-10knots but at 15knots the slalom will be pulling ahead whereas the JP can focus purely on light wind performance.

VS freeride- slightly better performance on all points. I think Rik should have maybe tried this with a big freeride fin also, but most people can happily use a big slalom fin in 10knots and it really does give the best compromise.

As a concept I think it does sit pretty much on it's own in the market, it is nothing like course/early formula boards which were all pretty unforgiving and ** to gybe. Comparing with starboard it seems somewhere in between the big isonic and the GO.

For 10knot conditions where you aren't looking to race and without having tried it, it seems this would be the ideal board. Maybe it's cross marketing also with a board that is designed to match the light wind freeride sails available at the moment.

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
3 Jun 2010 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...

iSonic 150: V150* 227.5 long x 93.5 wide
Super Light Wind 90: V154 237 x 90cm
Falcon SL 145: V145 230 x 85

Any thoughts on what differences (performance) there would be between these.

they all do the exact same thing with almost identical dimensions.

but the Super Light wind 90 is a new concept.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Jun 2010 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

WINDSURFnSNOW said...

so it's a new concept for JP then.

most of the other manufacturers and especially starboard have been doing it for over 10 years. a lot of us use or have used formula boards as light wind slalom boards with sails from 7-8.5m in broad reaching conditions. looking at the starboard website their early formula boards were 85-95cm wide with narrow tails. as i mentioned above.

it was only in 2002 and onweards that the board got 1m wide and very wide tails.

No. Read what I said. The big difference lies in it's intent.

All the boards you want to compare it to are pure course racing boards designed to go up and down wind almost solely and as a result they are compromised doing anything else. This board was built very clearly for planing, reaching and super light wind blasting for guys who don't necessarily have racing in mind.

One nice aspect as opposed to most course/formula boards should be the gybing. This board sounds like it gybes pretty nicely, holding good speed through a turn in bugger all wind. To do this on a formula board from any time in the last decade takes a bucket load of skill.

I'll be on it in a bit over 2 weeks and will talk from experience then. Not that Maui will be the best place to try light wind kit.

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
3 Jun 2010 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

geez Sam, rub it in I need a junket somewhere exotic like Maui too

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
3 Jun 2010 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

^ ok, well lets compare it to a freeride boards then.

the starboard futura 2008 model.

155 249.0 85.0 59.5

exocet sting

158 259 85

so i fail to see how this is a new concept. and for the record, i am not questioning that JP make great boards and from the oones i've used they all gybed very well.

but, there is no doubt in my opinion this is not a new concept. so why call it one. how are consumers supposed to trust manufacturers that easily say stuff to sell boards that isn't true

and for the record the early wide formula boards gybed very well when they weren't used with a 10m sail.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Jun 2010 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Have it your way then. Better comparisons though as long as they plane as early and have as good speed.

Have you ever been wrong in your opinion?

Gestalt
QLD, 14376 posts
3 Jun 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

WINDSURFnSNOW said...

Have it your way then. Better comparisons though as long as they plane as early and have as good speed.

of course. it is an opinion after all.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
3 Jun 2010 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not trying to cause issues/stir up the debate but I was wondering two things that have relevance to this post.

1. As I have never sailed anything big, why can't you reach on a formula board?

2. Are the Exocet and Starboards that Gestalt mentioned not simply fast free-rides? Much like the old JP Supersport or X-Cite Ride? And therefore the difference with the Super Light Wind is that it's designed to get going in, at a guess, super light winds?

Personally I like the idea of it even though I still wouldn't buy one as I have no sails over 5.7m!

Rob11
240 posts
3 Jun 2010 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm... marketing marketing marketing! Afterall it's a board with 4 footstraps and has to be different and better than others to be sold!!!

AUS4
NSW, 1253 posts
3 Jun 2010 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

WINDSURFnSNOW said...

of course. it is an opinion after all.

I think you will find that these new JP boards have softer ( rounded ) rails so they will be easy to release and gybe and fast on a reach.
unlike the older Formula boards you are talking about with sharp rails which where built for only up wind and down wind racing only and not designed for reaching at all, unless you wanted to brake your ankles of course .

laff77
NSW, 272 posts
3 Jun 2010 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Seems very similar to the GO Board in a lot of ways...

The GO Board was in essence a de-tuned formula board which was more forgiving to ride, was great to ride on all points of wind and was suprisingly quick!

Ok, so the footstraps on this thing are a bit more in board, but it's hardly a revolutionary concept.

windsurfing4
123 posts
3 Jun 2010 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

JP Australia 2011 Thruster 74 :

JP Australia 2011 Polakow Twinzer Quad 74 :

Pics from Simon Bassett / Jimmie Hepp / mauisurfreport.blogspot.com

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"JP Australia 2011" started by windsurfing4