KA Sails 2017

Created by NikolasGr > 9 months ago, 13 Sep 2016
elmo
WA, 8713 posts
19 Oct 2016 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
These have just been posted on Facebook. Has anyone tried them?

Hopefully the "testers"

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
19 Oct 2016 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Is that a life picture of Troppo on the wall?

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
21 Oct 2016 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

I was lucky enough to receive my new 5.4, 6.2 and 7m 2017 KA koncpets today. I did a quick rig of the 7m tonight, as I was a little bit excited.

I had to rig the sail on a Severne 430 blueline SDM mast. I'm waiting on my RDM cams to arrive, so that i can rig all my new koncepts on my KA RDM masts.

Here's quick look at it and hopefully i can get it out on the water tomorrow..

They look very nice :)

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
21 Oct 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezstrt said..

Here's quick look at it and hopefully i can get it out on the water tomorrow..

They look very nice :)

Very nice

I've got a new 5.8 Koncept waiting for me in WA for when I get back, should go well with my new red Carbon Art which is also there waiting for me, xmas will be early

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
21 Oct 2016 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Yellow is way brighter in the flesh...they are pretty loud, so I hope your not shy!!

eastcoast
94 posts
22 Oct 2016 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Is the clew cut out deeper?

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
23 Oct 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Some happy snaps from Sandy Point and the Netherlands.

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
24 Oct 2016 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

A couple more from yesterday if you are interested.

w100
WA, 238 posts
26 Oct 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Feedback?

nauli
WA, 70 posts
2 Nov 2016 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

I saw Chris and Jesper out with their new KA Races yesterday....the first thing I noticed was that they seem tight in the leach...tighter than the 2016?
I like the look of them....imo the colour combo is better than the orange/white. Not surprisingly, the lads were going very well on them...

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
6 Nov 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

The leech has very even progressive look/looseness and tightens up evenly under load, no flapping about needlessly, just flappin fast with control .

I used the 5.5 Ka RaceSL' Pro yesterday in gusty 25_35, very well behaved and some sweet acceleration. Had plenty of grunt too, as I would normally be on a 5.8 so maybe some gain with less drag. Just wished the wind had of been a constant 35+ for the speedo to keep on climbing at that initial 1.8m/s2 between 30 and 40.

Used the 7.1 which has been a real favorite for the last few years and paced well against Mr Love & SailQuick who were on their 7.1's and comfortable where I would normally be on meter bigger.

KaRace Gets a big Thumbs Up!

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
6 Nov 2016 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Craig, surely those 3 GT31's belting you in the melon must hurt in 35+ knots??

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
6 Nov 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thats what the helmet and goggles are for , nah it's tied down, so no problem there just got tired of the sliding down the arm rigmarole.

choco
SA, 4024 posts
6 Nov 2016 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Did you use RDM mast? I like the fact the sails can be rigged on both SDM-RDM masts, nice number out of the bag Spotty

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
6 Nov 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Did you use RDM mast? I like the fact the sails can be rigged on both SDM-RDM masts, nice number out of the bag Spotty

Used SDM to put it in beefcake mode , still a bit of tuning and break in for 5.5 rotation to loosen up a bit. Yet to sail it with RDM which will be choice in the 6.3 too for blasting back n forth or just sending it at LG .

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
7 Nov 2016 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nice going Spotty... new KA toys in time for the wind love it...

I am interested in your reason for such wide harness lines?
Does this help with trim angles

Kind Regards Russ

that sail looks sweet

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
7 Nov 2016 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

...few reasons Russ, apart from a bit old school and just how I roll

-Yes helps with making minor trim of sheet in/out, useful on a curved run or changing angle of your run mid way thru due to power/wind strength fluctuations.
-More locked in and braced feel, if they are close together wave/free style your hook/hips will be swingin off a pendulum somewhat.
-Harness lines too long, so spread them apart to shorten drop/depth.
-I'm heavy, so having them close together point loading the boom not a good idea.

Yet to try our euro counterparts crazy super low boom and short lines technique that works for them.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
7 Nov 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spotty said..

-Yes helps with making minor trim of sheet in/out, useful on a curved run or changing angle of your run mid way thru due to power/wind strength fluctuations.
-More locked in and braced feel, if they are close together wave/free style your hook/hips will be swingin off a pendulum somewhat.
-I'm heavy, so having them close together point loading the boom not a good idea.

Yet to try our euro counterparts crazy super low boom and short lines technique that works for them.

Fantastic tips there Spotty best one I have had in years so I will be looking forward to trying this...

I can see how it will improve the line drop out I get when I go deep off the wind and holding the sweet spot when changing angles as you sail off the wind .

keep up the pro tips mate I think I need them of late

Cheers Russ

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
8 Nov 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2016-11-05&team=16

Session from Sandy point , new ka sails leading the way 2017 , spotty nearly 47 knots

Session at budgy yesteday

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2016-11-07&team=9

Hugh with great speed on the 2017 ka race 7.1m , cant wait to get mine on the water

choco
SA, 4024 posts
8 Nov 2016 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spotty said..

I've used a roller instead of hook for past 10+ years and they are so easy to trim the sail compared to a hook and the best part the let you fly when catapulted (release you from harness lines)

morts
WA, 175 posts
18 Dec 2016 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

If looking at using KA RDM masts (430/400) in the Koncept what is the benefit of the 100% over the 75%?

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
18 Dec 2016 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Noticeably lighter. Rig feels more alive.

morts
WA, 175 posts
18 Dec 2016 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Martin

Is that physically lighter, lighter feel or a combination of both? I'm guessing both. On the physical weights, the KA site lists all 400's @ 1.5kg & 430's @ 1.7kg whether they are 75%, 100%, SDM or RDM. I expected a bit of variation in the actual weights.

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
9 Mar 2017 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

I just wanted to pass on my findings with rigging the 2017 7m KA koncept on a 100% KA 430 RDM mast, to be honest it took me quiet a bit of trial and error to get the sail rigging and feeling really nice. Thanks to Martin and sailquick for helping me as well.

I found that I was rigging the sail with to much downhoaul which was killing the bottom end and found the cams were not stiff enough. I am now rigging the sail with 1 - 2cm less downhaul than what is printed on the sail. I have also been giving it 5cm less out-haul, than what is printed on the sail.

In relation to cams for the RDM mast, i have left the SDM cam in for the top cam and replaced the two bottom cams with RDM cams. I have also placed a single thick spacer between all three cams.

Once i got the tuning right, i am really loving the 7m koncpet. It has plenty of bottom end, rotates so easily but is still stiff when pumping in light winds.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
9 Mar 2017 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 5.8 2017 Koncept on a KA RDM, without checking I'm not sure if my downhaul is to spec but I am rigging it with neg outhaul. I really enjoy this sail, it's given me flat water and open ocean PB's

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
10 Mar 2017 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback guys and glad you are enjoying the sails....will look into the boom spec print on the 7.0.... sometimes even I make a boo boo

Rob11
240 posts
10 Mar 2017 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezstrt said..
I found that I was rigging the sail with to much downhoaul which was killing the bottom end and found the cams were not stiff enough. I am now rigging the sail with 1 - 2cm less downhaul than what is printed on the sail. I have also been giving it 5cm less out-haul, than what is printed on the sail.

In relation to cams for the RDM mast, i have left the SDM cam in for the top cam and replaced the two bottom cams with RDM cams. I have also placed a single thick spacer between all three cams.

Nice R&D work for KA...
Surely a brand new sail is tested prior to releasing on the market???

mr love
VIC, 2340 posts
10 Mar 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Yep but a typo on an Ai file on the production artwork is all it takes, and by the way have not confirmed it is wrong yet.

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
10 Mar 2017 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

There are so many variables that they should only be a guide anyway.

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
14 Mar 2017 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
morts said..
If looking at using KA RDM masts (430/400) in the Koncept what is the benefit of the 100% over the 75%?

25%

Oh, OK, I couldn't resit. Sorry.

I have noticed a much bigger difference between 100% and 75-80% in RDM's.

(Not so much at all in SDM's. I actually prefer 70% to 80% SDM's and they are a LOT more durable).

The difference in RDM's is in the weight and feel. The 75% feel 'dead' 'er. The 100% are not much lighter but they 'feel' a lot lighter and livelier. I far prefer 100% RDM's. The other big advantage is that 100% RDM's are VERY much more durable than SDM's. Nothing is unbreakable, but they are much closer. I snapped quite a few 100% SDM's over the years, speed sailing, (and even a few 50% and 75% SDM's as well) but I have never broken a 100% RDM. The only sails I use SDM's in now on are 7m and larger.
I tried the 2017 7.1m Race on a 430 RDM and it didn't set well (best on 460 and I haven't got a 460 RDM). In contrast, the 7M Koncept sets well on a 430 RDM, but it is meant to be set on a 430 anyhow. Last year, I still used my 7m Koncept on SDM as in that size, for me, it's all about bottom end grunt, (it was the largest sail I would normally use) and the sail set a little fuller on my SDM mast.

Oh. The other advantage of Koncepts on RDM is easier and smoother rotation, especially with the new KA RDM cams.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"KA Sails 2017" started by NikolasGr