Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severne 2019

Created by northy1 > 9 months ago, 17 Jul 2018
northy1
435 posts
17 Jul 2018 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

...is now online....but what the hell is Cylcops ready??

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
17 Jul 2018 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

New mast extension, spoto'd an ad in an online windsurf magazine, had jaeger stone with one eye holding an extension.
Great pic, but no info on the kit. Tried to find ad again, but no luck, but shound be interesting.

uweh
311 posts
17 Jul 2018 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..
...is now online....but what the hell is Cylcops ready??

yes why

Basher
535 posts
18 Jul 2018 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I like the new look for the 2019 S1s - which now have the same layout as the S1 pros. As I can no longer afford to replace my beloved S1 Pros it's good to see I can change to standard S1s instead and get much the same sail, if a little heavier.

Dezza
NSW, 925 posts
18 Jul 2018 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Is this Basher as in boards forum basher?

gorgesailor
604 posts
19 Jul 2018 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Basher said..
I like the new look for the 2019 S1s - which now have the same layout as the S1 pros. As I can no longer afford to replace my beloved S1 Pros it's good to see I can change to standard S1s instead and get much the same sail, if a little heavier.

I was hoping they would change the Pro to be more like the Standard. The new batten layout looks very "vanilla" to me...

northy1
435 posts
19 Jul 2018 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Im with Basher - the older S1 looked too "new skool" / freestylee for me - im nearer 50 than 40 so that's what you'd expect eh!

Manawa
135 posts
19 Jul 2018 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Blade pro 2019 is change?

KA360
NSW, 803 posts
20 Jul 2018 1:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nerdburger said..
New mast extension, spoto'd an ad in an online windsurf magazine, had jaeger stone with one eye holding an extension.
Great pic, but no info on the kit. Tried to find ad again, but no luck, but shound be interesting.

2019 gear in store ,Greece

New Psycho freestyle

Relapse
VIC, 583 posts
20 Jul 2018 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

I need to move to Greece!

Imax1
QLD, 4691 posts
20 Jul 2018 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

What's the go with the ext , hows it work ?

uweh
311 posts
20 Jul 2018 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

yes How ?

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
20 Jul 2018 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like only 4:1 rather than the 6:1 of the existing Wave Grenade. There would be a roller each side of the tack on the sail. I'm assuming you hook each side of the loop formed by the rope over the tack rollers, then around the single roller on the extension....whamo 4:1 no threading needed. Might be hard work if it's only 4:1 though...not that the S1's are that hard to downhaul at 6:1.

robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
20 Jul 2018 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

I remember at the nationals at Gerroa Ben was trialing a prototype extension. It wasn't threaded through the pulleys in the traditional way. In the photo above, once the rope is run through the pulleys your hand goes through that loop with the plastic tubing to apply downhaul force. I think the downhaul pulley on the sail is modified so that you don't have to thread through each pulley individually.

ZeeGerman
280 posts
22 Jul 2018 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know where in Greece this shop is?

KA360
NSW, 803 posts
22 Jul 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ZeeGerman said..

SPORTOP in Kallithea, Athens.

and the best range of Starboard/Severne clothing and acc ever with complementary coffee and drinks while you shop.

my7thlife
58 posts
22 Jul 2018 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KA360 said..

ZeeGerman said..

SPORTOP in Kallithea, Athens.

and the best range of Starboard/Severne clothing and acc ever with complementary coffee and drinks while you shop.

shopped from them on several occasions. nice people and good service. what they should have though is a proper online store with free european shipping...

Basher
535 posts
23 Jul 2018 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Seems like the main change with the updated 'wave grenade' extension is that the pulley blocks have been shifted through 90degrees to deal better with the sail tack pulley alignment.
But I hope the extension has not been beefed up - to be significantly heavier. It was OK as it was. (I so I feel, after six years using the same one.)

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
26 Jul 2018 2:57AM
Thumbs Up

Cyclops - ad !! - Severne FB.

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
26 Jul 2018 2:57AM
Thumbs Up

Cyclops - ad !! - Severne FB.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Jul 2018 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

saw it at the shop yesterday, very clever and nice piece of equipment !! (a tad heavy though, but probably rock solid !)

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
28 Jul 2018 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Severne have up date there web site with the new extensions and freestyle boards !!
Awesome line up of kit now, although I'm a bit of a fanboy of the severne gear !!, with new blade pro's on order for this season

R1DER
WA, 1461 posts
28 Jul 2018 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I like how they've changed the layout of the standard s1 to the same as the pro S1 heaps better looking sail now After 8 years of using Blades, I decided to order S1 pros this year instead of Blade pros, fingers crossed I made the right choice.
Hey Basher I reckon you'll eventually order some more pros.

Faff
VIC, 1189 posts
3 Aug 2018 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

The extremely narrow clearance between the pulley wheels and the strap holding the pulley block on 2017 Blades (and I presume 2018 as well) precludes using the Cyclops extension. Can't loop and go with a North Duotone ratchet extension either (huge annoyance). I had a 2013 Blade and the gap was big. Ditto the 2016 NCX. I might be a cynic, and I haven't seen the pulley blocks on Severne wave sails for years between 2013 and 2017, but it's as if the clearance was intentionally reduced to almost nothing, then re-introduced as a "feature that enables Cyclops support". Unless there is something more to "Cyclops support".

KJ
VIC, 157 posts
4 Aug 2018 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..
The extremely narrow clearance between the pulley wheels and the strap holding the pulley block on 2017 Blades (and I presume 2018 as well) precludes using the Cyclops extension. Can't loop and go with a North Duotone ratchet extension either (huge annoyance). I had a 2013 Blade and the gap was big. Ditto the 2016 NCX. I might be a cynic, and I haven't seen the pulley blocks on Severne wave sails for years between 2013 and 2017, but it's as if the clearance was intentionally reduced to almost nothing, then re-introduced as a "feature that enables Cyclops support". Unless there is something more to "Cyclops support".

yep support you on that one.

A real pain in the A if the machinist is having a bad day and sows the strapping holding the pulley block just a fraction to close, even if you aren't using a loop and go, but just trying to loop your rope through and it's the slightly thicker formuline rope.

Same with the little loop at the top of the sail that you put your screw driver through to anchor it to the ground so that you can pull the mast out easier when de rigging; if the machinist is having a bad day that loop becomes to small and you can't get your screw driver through

Faff
VIC, 1189 posts
6 Aug 2018 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

KJ said..

Faff said..

yep support you on that one.

A real pain in the A if the machinist is having a bad day and sows the strapping holding the pulley block just a fraction to close, even if you aren't using a loop and go, but just trying to loop your rope through and it's the slightly thicker formuline rope.

Same with the little loop at the top of the sail that you put your screw driver through to anchor it to the ground so that you can pull the mast out easier when de rigging; if the machinist is having a bad day that loop becomes to small and you can't get your screw driver through

Yeah, I've had that problem with one of my sails and thicker rope.

BTW, people are making their sails "cyclops ready" by filing down the wheels on their sails. I wonder if the pulley block can be taken off with a bolt cutter and replaced with another one like this:

www.windfanshk.com/en/spare-parts/410-north-tack-roller.html

P.S.
Don't get me started how the button for the elastic tab is now only one side as well.

Jaeger
WA, 37 posts
6 Aug 2018 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

The pulley on the 2019 sails comes with a small pin that runs across the top of the pulley wheels. If you're running a Cyclops extension then you take the pin out and you've got plenty of space to thread the loop through. If you're running the Wave Grenade or a regular extension then the pin stays in and prevents the ropes from jumping across each other.

Once you use the Cyclops it's hard going back to a regular extension. Pretty easy.

Relapse
VIC, 583 posts
6 Aug 2018 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

Had to grind down the pulleys on my S1 Pros with a Dremel to get the line through bet well worth the effort. No going back once you've use one.

Hogar
66 posts
9 Aug 2018 3:13AM
Thumbs Up

Will there be any changes in the Enigma carbon booms range? I saw that Matteo, Gonzalo and Tristan use some booms on big M1 sails that looks like NS platinum with formula wide tail

Hogar
66 posts
9 Aug 2018 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severne 2019" started by northy1