Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severne 2019

Created by northy1 > 9 months ago, 17 Jul 2018
petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
14 Aug 2018 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Ben let me try out his 5.5m proto of the Overdrive yesterday. When I went out the wind had just picked up to 25 knots plus.

It has only six battens and has a very large camber.Rotation was excellent.

The standout for me was its weight - crazy light,guessing no more than 4kg.

He had it rigged on a small aluminium Enigma boom with lots of downhaul,also he was using a RDM mast.

Downside - above 25 knots it was no easier to hold than my 6.2 R7.

I could hold it but it was a lot harder to turn the unstable power in to forward motion. The leech was only shaking a little.

With only six battens I guess that is the price to pay.

With less downhaul and around 15-20 knots - that could be its sweet spot

With the shape down low being extremely full and its weight super light you can use this sail in much lighter winds than a normal 5.5m.

Reckon it planes as quick as my 6.2Reflex.

I still much prefer my Reflex.

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
15 Aug 2018 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..
Ben let me try out his 5.5m proto of the Overdrive yesterday. When I went out the wind had just picked up to 25 knots plus.

He had it rigged on a small aluminium Enigma boom with lots of downhaul,also he was using a RDM mast.

I could hold it but it was a lot harder to turn the unstable power in to forward motion. The leech was only shaking a little.

With the shape down low being extremely full and its weight super light you can use this sail in much lighter winds than a normal 5.5m.

I'm hoping the six batten change is smaller sizes only? I have a m2 OD 7.8 coming in late November and if it only has six battens I am going to
be very disappointed. I don't get it actually even on the smaller sizes. Why bother having the NCX and turbo if you have 6 batten overdrives? GPS sailors might not be thrilled about it either as the overdrives are a good option for the smaller sizes so you don't have to fork out race sail dollars on a sail you don't use very often.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
15 Aug 2018 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

should be 7 battens from 4.5 to 9.4

KJ
VIC, 157 posts
18 Aug 2018 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..

I used small OD's (R5) as I wanted to save on buying SDM mast buy using my RDM mast for these smaller sizes. However I never really felt stable with them in the high wind range, yet very happy with the 6.2&7.0 (tried them both with RDM's and SDM's and both went well - slight better wit the SDM on the 7.0).

Some R7 reflex's (5.2/5.6/6.2) came up for sale along with some 400 SDM's and I grabbed those - man what a difference!
The stability and acceleration was a massive leap - much more so than the 6.2 and above.

I think its about your expectations in what conditions you are using them in. When I use my 5.2/5.6 its full on 25knt+. When I'm using my 6.2+ it's powered up but not excessive - if its excessive I change down to smaller gear.

I run a R8 OD 7.0 and a 8.1 turbo (2016), then reflex's 6.2 and down. I like the light handling of the OD and Turbo.

What I found with trial and error for me is that there is a trade off between size/stability/handling (its a 3 way matrix), and that handling is more important with the larger sizes and stability with the smaller sizes. A 5.6 Reflex is only just a little harder to manoeuver than a 5.6 OD however both are small sails, hence the manoeuvrability difference doesn't out way the stability difference. However at 7.0 I feel this does become an issue depending on what you are want it to achieve (Slalom vs freerace)

Rob11
240 posts
18 Aug 2018 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cluffy said..

I'm hoping the six batten change is smaller sizes only? I have a m2 OD 7.8 coming in late November and if it only has six battens I am going to
be very disappointed. I don't get it actually even on the smaller sizes. Why bother having the NCX and turbo if you have 6 batten overdrives? GPS sailors might not be thrilled about it either as the overdrives are a good option for the smaller sizes so you don't have to fork out race sail dollars on a sail you don't use very often.

Ballsy move to order a product without knowing any details!!!
Let us know when you get it how the 3 batten OD goes .

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
18 Aug 2018 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Just got the 2018 severne catalogue and there's no M2 or Overdrive in it

NordRoi
643 posts
19 Aug 2018 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

There is an overdrive m2 and a mach2 for sure. Maybe in the 2019 catalogue? ;-)

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
19 Aug 2018 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

The Mach 1 and Overdrive M1 were out of sync with the rest of the sail lineup last year (this year) too so I imagine it's same deal this season?

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
19 Aug 2018 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

I meant to say the 2019 catalogue. I've got all the info on the rest of thier stuff and the new severne kit but nothing on the 2 sails I'm interested in

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
20 Aug 2018 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
should be 7 battens from 4.5 to 9.4

oops I stand corrected.... 6 battens from 4.5 to 5.5

my7thlife
58 posts
20 Aug 2018 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

around this time last year someone uploaded the mach 1 and od specsheets. Whoever 's got the 019 ones may be so kind as to uploaded them soon (or even better right now!)...

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Aug 2018 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

voila

BBsurfer
19 posts
21 Aug 2018 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Sean for the Overdrive M2 Info.

However, it is not possible to zoom in properly in order to see the text and the specifications.

If possible it would be great to get a photo with a higher resolution.

my7thlife
58 posts
21 Aug 2018 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
voila

Thank you!!!

Good to see the graphics haven't changed much since last year, the sail looks sweet. A higher res image would indeed help with the specs though (or perhaps you could quote them here)

Cheers!

NordRoi
643 posts
22 Aug 2018 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

The Mach2 will probably drop a batten as well, NP proved it was working very well...

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
22 Aug 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

And the Hyper Glides could be going wing sails ??

NordRoi
643 posts
23 Aug 2018 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Mach1(brand new) it came with a batten tensioner stripped(could not put tension in the batten) and a few kink in the monofilm. I put at least 3 sticker to make sure the sail will last for long. Am I the only one who had that problem? I think it was a badluck...but I'm on my way to pull the trigger for the mach2...heard it comes soon, any other bad story like this?

cheers.
nord_roi

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
23 Aug 2018 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Mine was perfect when delivered, now it's stretched a bit I've I had to add a 5mm spacer between the adjuster and batten to get enough tension

NordRoi
643 posts
23 Aug 2018 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks!! I'll use it twice so far. I'll monitor that!

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
24 Aug 2018 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
voila

Have you got a higher res version of that? Seems to be a few changes going on

gimmesunshine
19 posts
26 Aug 2018 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Are three any changes from 2018 to 19 for gators ncx and turbo ?, Thanks

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
6 Sep 2018 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
voila

Just ordered some overdrive M2's if you have a higher res pic that would be great as I would like to know what's coming ??

Hogar
66 posts
7 Sep 2018 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

M2 with 7 battens:
www.ewindsurf.fr/voile/severne-mach-2-2019/

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
7 Sep 2018 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Both seem to have a different material behind the luff sleeve as well, or at least a different colour

tryharder
SA, 100 posts
10 Sep 2018 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Found that but my Norwegian is not that great.
Looking at that the luff material looks different than and the second batten up seems lower down at the mast, bigger gap between 2nd and 3rd. Also seems to have an extra short batten in the leech just above the boom.

on a slightly different note does anyone want to buy my 8.6 overdrive m1?

Ben1973
960 posts
24 Sep 2018 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
voila

Anyone got a readable version of this

my7thlife
58 posts
24 Sep 2018 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

(just a wild guess...)

Building on the success of the Mach1, the new Mach2 can deliver on all the standard race sail cliches - it IS faster, it IS lighter and it DOES have better acceleration.

Reduced batten count has dropped the weight. If it's not the lightest race sail on the market next season it will be VERY close to it.

A major focus of this year's R&D was on tuning the entry and exhaust. Finer leading edge rotation delivers that slippery feel, whilst the more open twist patterns reduce drag for devastating top speed.

With 7 battens in all sizes, the Mach2 inflates faster and reacts to gusts quicker for epic acceleration.

These 3 improvements elevate the Mach2 to the next level. Fast times.

UPGRADES FOR 2019
/ FLOW ALIGNED BATTENS
/ REDUCED WEIGHT
/ IMPROVED SPEED AND ACCELERATION

CONSTRUCTION NOTES
/ MONOFILM BODY - MAXIMUM STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE
/ KEVLAR X-PLY LUFF SLEEVE - MINIMAL VERTICAL STRETCH WITH HORIZONTAL ELASTICITY
/ TUBE BATTENS - HIGH PERFORMANCE STABILITY.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
24 Sep 2018 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severne 2019" started by northy1