2012 WSA State Titles Wave Sailing Competition

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2012
Slim Jim
SA, 202 posts
3 Aug 2012 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Today the Buoyweather forecast for Sun is:
am - WNW24-33, SW11'@16s
pm - WSW28-37, SW16'@15s (Gale Warning!)
We'll post the event location this evening after discussion with judges based on this arvo's forecast.

maris
SA, 179 posts
3 Aug 2012 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

suggest advise location by text message/onboard etc
as might have some unwelcome spectators

Harry got pinged for no pfd by a transport sa officer who was stalking him from the beach at day st. yesterday
Harry says he will have a good look at whos on the beach and what cars are in the car park before he comes in in future- doubts theyd get their feet wet.
I have lent him a type 3 pfd which is acceptable inside 400m

Harry was wondering if anyone knows if its a requirement to identify yourself to a transport sa officer? if so whats the penalty for failing to do so?
Given theres no rego system for windsurfing its going to be hard to ID sailors.

Notwithstanding that the rules appear to require a pfd for "sailboarding"
A 7 foot waveboard sailed in the surf is far closer to a surfboard than anything else in my opinion.
The logic behind a surfer's PFD exemption in the surf is that the surf will push the surfer to shore. This argument is equally true for a waveboard operated in the surf, and is strengthened by the fact a pfd increases the risk of entanglement and entrapment with/under your rig by limiting your scope to dive clear.
Unfortunately it will take legislation or someone challenging in court to change. or someone wearing a pfd getting trapped under their sail in the surf and drowning.

IN the meantime when that transport sa officer who was posting on this site reads the above, keep in mind that there is a strong argument PFDs may reduce safety in the surf. This is supported by the lack of a requirement that is enforced anywhere else in the world that i am aware of to wear a PFD in the surf windsurfing.

South Australia has produced some world class sailors, what a shame when Ben comes home he'll have to wear a pfd, as will any mates that he brings with him, just when SA was starting to get a profile and attract interest from interstate and overseas.

Cant help thinking we are being tarred with the same brush as the tea baggers; again there is a clear difference- our boards have substantial positive flotation, many times that of PFD buoyancy requirements and we are strapped to them.
kite boards are much smaller and often have next to no surplus buoyancy.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
3 Aug 2012 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

The guy is an (.)

Friggin nany state

Bondage
SA, 634 posts
3 Aug 2012 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Maris, did Harry get the name of the officer?

I cant believe this, just when i was getting excited about hopefully some good sailing. Cant say im too thrilled about wearing a buoyancy vest in the surf!!

I wonder why they are now targeting us at Middleton?

Maybe its time we collectively see if there is something we can do about this stupid law?

maris
SA, 179 posts
3 Aug 2012 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

no Bondy dont know name but;

i note that there was a seabreeze user patsparks (pat sparks)
who appeared to be representing himself as a transport sa officer from the south coast in his thread re PFDs in this forum. This patsparks, however never clearly identified in what capacity he was posting. If he IS a transport SA officer i wonder if his postings/involvement in this forum are consistent with transport SAs social media policies? He may also be fisheries as they also have jurisdiction here but dont usually act on it as i understand.

Harry said the guy never presented any ID, was short stocky with red hair. Harry reckons he had some major issues with his conduct and is seeking further opinion on the matter actually.

we need a retired windsurfing QC like in the castle to sort em out- any takers?? Actually i think Harry might be the man.
the answer is never come in.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
3 Aug 2012 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

I know i'm classed as a tea bagger but,

Maris is spot on, you have him in one. He is a arrogant short bloke who tries to outwit you to get your name and details. My mate reported him about his conduct, They Did nothing.

By law you dont have to identify your self to a Transport SA officer. But remember they can call the police to help them.

I have heard the same guy got a mate sailing at the river mouth, 1 x Kent Reserve.

Hope that helps.

Have a good comp.

Peace

Ben Severne
WA, 194 posts
3 Aug 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

maris said...

Or you could just tell the bloke that you were drowning under your sail so had to remove your PFD. And then you've been sailing around for the last hour trying to find it.

Bondage
SA, 634 posts
3 Aug 2012 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Good Suggestion Ben, I have a few suggestions too but its better if i dont post them on here

pilchard
SA, 626 posts
3 Aug 2012 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

what do they slug you finewise? do they give you a warning?
next thing we will need to carry flares and oars.
whales, pfd's, no access marine parks........ im over it!!! fun stoppers at it again
i say a bit of bra boy justice is in order
have a good sail folks

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
3 Aug 2012 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

So we running this comp or what!!???? I say good luck booking 20 of us.

Darvio
SA, 158 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

After looking at his picture I think I will just run away from him. Don't think he will have the speed to keep up.

Spearsy
SA, 213 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Pat Sparks would be in his bedroom right now at mum and dad's house reading all of this, with a coastal map in hand plotting his next big bust on PFD criminal law breakers.

gmitton
SA, 1429 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

I thinking not - boyweather forecast is crap: www.buoyweather.com/wxnav6.jsp?program=nww3BW1&grb=nww3®ion=AS&latitude=-35.5&longitude=138.5&zone=9&units=e

and the interactive map looks bad: www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=windbarb&level=10m&tz=AEDT&area=Au&model=CG&chartSubmit=Refresh+View

Looks better a long way south... Anyone up for a long drive on Sunday?

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

We need some confirmation!! Yes or No?????

gmitton
SA, 1429 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

It is James call....

gmitton
SA, 1429 posts
3 Aug 2012 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

What do others think - I think we should hold off fore a more robust map and forecast.

Zubby
SA, 896 posts
3 Aug 2012 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Harry was even wearing his PDF in the carpark today.

jn1
2454 posts
3 Aug 2012 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

maris said...

suggest advise location by text message/onboard etc

You are right Maris. The best thing is to lie on the forum and then decide where to sail at a pre-sail meeting. Motorcycle forums have the same dilemma with the cops when they organise a ride day.

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
3 Aug 2012 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone,

James has rung around and the consensus seems to be to go for the Comp on Sunday.
James will be our OOD (Officer of the Day).

Venue will be Middleton. May swing onshore later.

Juniors and Ladies
Briefing 9:30 am, Heat 9.45 – 10:30 am

Masters
Briefing 10:30 am, Heat 10.45 – 11:30 am

Open Mens
Briefing 11:30 am, Heat 11.45 – 12:30 pm

Please get your Windsurfing SA membership organised beforehand ($30 includes competition insurance). Easily done at wsa.roundtablelive.org !

Entry will be $20 on the day. Get there early to sign up make life easier for everyone :-)

Thanks Maris for the heads-up about PFD enforcement. My 2 cents. I don't think we can hide or change venue. We can't really win the argument on the day (and shouldn't try to) but if enforcement looks like happening we should be prepared to comply with the legislation. It's stupid, but the only effective strategy we have as an association is to try and lobby for legislation change. Please dig out any Type 2 vests you might have an bring them down to share. Can people pinged in the past tell us if they were ever booked on a weekend?

Come on people, let's stick it to the man by just doing it! Don't forget we are offering a prize for the best photo or video from the comp too!

Cheers,

Richard, Secretary Windsurfing SA

russh
SA, 3025 posts
3 Aug 2012 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

See windsurfing SA on Facebook for details as well

www.facebook.com/pages/Windsurfing-SA/165697366839806?sk=info

maris
SA, 179 posts
4 Aug 2012 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Richard
Really sorry didn't mean to make life hard for u
I was just mad
I don't drink (much) don't smoke don't speed don't harass whales
U couldn't get a cleaner greener quieter sport than ours
We are the most overgoverned country in the world with council state and
Commonwealth govts
And this is the result

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
4 Aug 2012 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

No problem Maris. We are forewarned now for Sunday. Time for an ongoing project to try and change this stupid law I think.

gmitton
SA, 1429 posts
4 Aug 2012 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to it. I will bring the slab, chairs, judging sheets...

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
4 Aug 2012 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Just a thought...... Should the opens be run earlier????? Before/if/when it does swing onshore???

Brick
SA, 66 posts
4 Aug 2012 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Everyone bring a PFD and maybe there could be a competition..............

See how many can be fit into a small hole (.)

SOC
3 posts
4 Aug 2012 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

maris said...

no Bondy dont know name but;

i note that there was a seabreeze user patsparks (pat sparks)
who appeared to be representing himself as a transport sa officer from the south coast in his thread re PFDs in this forum. This patsparks, however never clearly identified in what capacity he was posting. If he IS a transport SA officer i wonder if his postings/involvement in this forum are consistent with transport SAs social media policies? He may also be fisheries as they also have jurisdiction here but dont usually act on it as i understand.

Harry said the guy never presented any ID, was short stocky with red hair. Harry reckons he had some major issues with his conduct and is seeking further opinion on the matter actually.

we need a retired windsurfing QC like in the castle to sort em out- any takers?? Actually i think Harry might be the man.

Hey Maris and crew.
I'm pay'en my money, and want to go in it.
We started wave sailing in SA in 1978.
I've never worn a pfd in the waves.
Could you help me work out how much I will owe patsparks tomorrow
for the last 34 years of indiscretions?

How about when questioned by this debatable aurthority, we could all say
our name is Mark Smith. (gday smithy)

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
4 Aug 2012 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

I just renewed my membership online. Easy as! Will save alot of time tomorrow! Get on it everyone!

Slim Jim
SA, 202 posts
4 Aug 2012 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

HAIL said...

Just a thought...... Should the opens be run earlier????? Before/if/when it does swing onshore???

this is a good point...almost impossible to know when the front will hit.
Given the swell forecast 2.5' am, 4' pm (+++ depending on who's forecast you like - SwellMap has it going offscale!) I think the order is right. I'm thinking saving time on the briefings - possibly using red flag down to finish Masters and simultaneously green flag up to start Opens - or something like that. That way we can have the opens finished before noon (and drive judges nuts!). We can discuss tomorrow, in light of the conditions we see at the beach.

Kym Roberts
SA, 254 posts
5 Aug 2012 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

hmm what the hell is going on noarlunga just said it is SW and its raining so much im scared to put my boards on the car

SHEETIN
291 posts
5 Aug 2012 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Surfsouthoz has the swell at 4 foot and 15kts WNW this morning

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   South Australia

"2012 WSA State Titles Wave Sailing Competition" started by WsurfingSA