Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

IWT Fiji 20 - 30 aug 2022 it's on!

Created by Icelake > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2022
Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
1 Sep 2022 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

I loved seeing the raw video of the event, it really gave a sense of the dynamics of the break and the way the wave curves around the reef. Sure it was a little frustrating not to see Hookipa level filming but hopefully there will be another edit later. It was just an amazing effort to put on a contest in such a remote location with all the complications of travel and logistics that exist at the moment.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
1 Sep 2022 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Dutchman said..

I filmed Dunk at Shark Island with my drone and iPhone. 2 hours filming. A few hours editing. He bought me a $10 burger as thanks on the way home. So far 170,000 plus views.

Give me $50,000 to film an event and I'll be getting a Sous chef to feed the crew, masseuse on call followed by handies from strippers.

What about camera, professional audio, music licenses, insurance, customs documentation (eg ATA Carnet etc), filming permits, flights, hotels, taxis, taxes... the list goes on?

I am not disputing you can shoot a 5 minute video on a drone and phone and get a million views on YouTube. Hell there are some people getting 10s of millions of views with ****ty videos shot on their iPhones and posted to TikTok. However, if you want professional level production covering an event end to end that can attract big dollars from big corps you need consistent output at broadcast level that can target any platform.

Maybe there is someone out there that is independently wealth and can offer all that for free... but to be honest if you are indecently wealth why wouldn't you just go sailing?

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
1 Sep 2022 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

Select to expand quote
What about camera, professional audio, music licenses, insurance, customs documentation (eg ATA Carnet etc), filming permits, flights, hotels, taxis, taxes... the list goes on?

I am not disputing you can shoot a 5 minute video on a drone and phone and get a million views on YouTube. Hell there are some people getting 10s of millions of views with ****ty videos shot on their iPhones and posted to TikTok. However, if you want professional level production covering an event end to end that can attract big dollars from big corps you need consistent output at broadcast level that can target any platform.

Camera? I've got one, we've all got one. It's our phone. Put a $100 waterproof casing on it.... bam! Instant water camera.
And sure another camera w. tripod with a good zoom lens would be a bonus.
Professional Audio? A $50 mic with a fuzzy top.
Music Licenses? Get some underground beats from some bedroom producer for free.
Documentation? Hey there Mr Customs man, I'm going to use my phone and drone to film my mates windsurf. All cool? Great, cheers.
Filming permits? See above
Flights? Yes we need money for that.
Hotels? Yes we need money for that.
Taxis, Taxes, etc? Sure whatever that is.

Is there really a need to make everything look ultra professional all the time? I personally don't like it, it all looks too manufactured. Those crappy tiktok video influencers filming their cat take a piss with millions of views are making 100x more money than a pro video with 5,000 views.

Pro looking videos have their place for sure but windsurfing is an underground sport that no one gives 2 shiits about. You're better off following the lead of skateboarding or something and getting that raw edge with organic friendly vibes.

Sea Lotus
314 posts
1 Sep 2022 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

It was a great event, glad they made it and hats off to everyone involved, but i agree with Paul.

Considering total cost of the event, small improvements to media would make it much more enjoyable for audience, olso considering social media is the main advertising platform for this sport, missing quality video from an epic event is a big mistake imo, which could be fixed for relatively small cost and easy planning in grand scheme.

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
1 Sep 2022 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

I think there were some pro photographers from Europe filming from the boat so we'll probably see better footage coming out in the future.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
1 Sep 2022 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Dutchman said..
I think there were some pro photographers from Europe filming from the boat so we'll probably see better footage coming out in the future.

Cool. Can't wait. The photos certainly looked awesome.

BTW, was trying to make a point re the comment "WSL can do it in remote locations" and associated costs. I do think people underestimate what it costs to get content like what you see on platforms like Red Bull TV. So all credit to Simeon for even trying to put these events together.

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
2 Sep 2022 5:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

Select to expand quote
BTW, was trying to make a point re the comment "WSL can do it in remote locations" and associated costs. I do think people underestimate what it costs to get content like what you see on platforms like Red Bull TV. So all credit to Simeon for even trying to put these events together.

Oh for sure content like the Red Bull TV and like cost big bucks. I heard somewhere that each 'Storm Chase' windsurf event costs Red Bull multiple millions.

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
2 Sep 2022 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying Dutchman said..

stehsegler said..

Oh for sure content like the Red Bull TV and like cost big bucks. I heard somewhere that each 'Storm Chase' windsurf event costs Red Bull multiple millions.

How's your drone go in 70 knots?

Icelake
74 posts
2 Sep 2022 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
2 Sep 2022 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DunkO said..
How's your drone go in 70 knots?

About as good as any of us sailing in 70 knots.

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
2 Sep 2022 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Icelake said..

I wasn't so close to the action back then.

Sea Lotus
314 posts
2 Sep 2022 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Pacasmayo was my favorite, thank you for your efforts and sharing with us, you create some of the best action footage on youtube, hope to see more of them.

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
2 Sep 2022 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sea Lotus said..
Pacasmayo was my favorite, thank you for your efforts and sharing with us, you create some of the best action footage on youtube, hope to see more of them.

Ah thanks mate yeah Peru is pretty sweet!

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
2 Sep 2022 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

First video of event on IWT socials.

instagram.com/stories/iwt_wave_tour/2918217748020642086

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1482 posts
2 Sep 2022 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
First video of event on IWT socials.

instagram.com/stories/iwt_wave_tour/2918217748020642086

That's looking better!

Sea Lotus
314 posts
8 Sep 2022 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

IWT Pacasmayo starting 10th of September, looking forward :)

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
15 Sep 2022 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

well this has been an interesting read.... any thoughts on the comp going down at Pacasmayo? Based on what i have seen I have got to say that, for a relatively minor comp like this, curated well presented pixels may indeed fully trump a washed out live feed.Once the live stream has gone out you probably dont get the eyeballs on the "proper" imaging.For PWA level ballistic level performance with world titles at stake (and with good production- including budget) the live stream makes sense. Perhaps live stream is something you need to " grow into"

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"IWT Fiji 20 - 30 aug 2022 it's on!" started by Icelake