Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Light weight wave sails for 2020

Created by bigdaz > 9 months ago, 2 Nov 2019
bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
31 Jan 2020 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Severne have finally released the info on the 2020 S1Pro on their website. I have now updated the chart and as suspected it has come in as the lightest sail. Looking forward to hearing reviews as people get their hands on them (if they can - apparently they are in short supply).

I think my work here is now done, it was a really interesting exercise, thanks for everyone's comments and input, cheers

chart link below.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U2J8xXgmC1h0-FIXj_uN1mXzuwGeLGsbbM7dkAwvxKk/edit

www.severnesails.com/sails/s-1-pro/

Faff
VIC, 1191 posts
6 Feb 2020 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

bigdaz said..
Looks like Severne have finally released the info on the 2020 S1Pro on their website. I have now updated the chart and as suspected it has come in as the lightest sail. Looking forward to hearing reviews as people get their hands on them (if they can - apparently they are in short supply).

I think my work here is now done, it was a really interesting exercise, thanks for everyone's comments and input, cheers

chart link below.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U2J8xXgmC1h0-FIXj_uN1mXzuwGeLGsbbM7dkAwvxKk/edit

www.severnesails.com/sails/s-1-pro/

Still no Blade Pro weights on the Severne website.

Snapfigure
130 posts
7 Feb 2020 5:20AM
Thumbs Up

Gun sails claims that every single fiber has been set manually to the optimum place via computer program in contrast to homogeneous computer matching fibers program of other markets As a consequence the distance between fibers differs furthermore gun uses 3mm membrane not 2 mm and they claim it doubles durability and life of the sail
Weights my blade pro 5.7 3.4 kg
Gun seal mb 4.2 3.05 kg

Faff
VIC, 1191 posts
7 Feb 2020 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snapfigure said..
Gun sails claims that every single fiber has been set manually to the optimum place via computer program in contrast to homogeneous computer matching fibers program of other markets As a consequence the distance between fibers differs furthermore gun uses 3mm membrane not 2 mm and they claim it doubles durability and life of the sail
Weights my blade pro 5.7 3.4 kg
Gun seal mb 4.2 3.05 kg

Jeezus... That's one damn heavy sail.

Relapse
VIC, 584 posts
7 Feb 2020 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

I've finally seen a production 2020 S1 Pro in the flesh! Weight was spot on the published specs for the 5.2 according to my digital luggage scales. Looks very nice indeed. It looked like the cut panels are joined first then the whole panel laminated which is a novel way of avoiding edges along the join. Couldn't tell by looking at it if the same applied to the monofilm window but there is no stitching around it at all. They only had the one, would have been very tempted if it was a 4.8m

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
8 Feb 2020 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what the units "mils" are when referring to monofilm thickness?

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
10 Feb 2020 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..
Does anyone know what the units "mils" are when referring to monofilm thickness?

Mil is 1/1000 of an inch. In the metric system we use microns 1 micron = 1/1000 of a mm.

So 1mil = 25.4 microns or 0.0254mm

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Light weight wave sails for 2020" started by bigdaz