Car stolen at Melville Fri 27/11/15

Created by flatchat > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2015
patsken
WA, 705 posts
2 Dec 2015 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firiebob said..
I've just ordered the Hitchsafe $108 delivered, did a little research and no not 100% tamper proof but I'm not worried as I think they'll just move onto the next car especially like Melville or down here on the peel. It'll also be handy when having quick swim at beach as I normally only have my towel and double pluggers. I'm not sure re insurance, might check but think much better than key on top of wheel etc. Some other good suggestions here but think the Hitchsafe will suit me better, time will tell

That mental picture is VERY disturbing !!!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
2 Dec 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patsken said..

firiebob said..
I've just ordered the Hitchsafe $108 delivered, did a little research and no not 100% tamper proof but I'm not worried as I think they'll just move onto the next car especially like Melville or down here on the peel. It'll also be handy when having quick swim at beach as I normally only have my towel and double pluggers. I'm not sure re insurance, might check but think much better than key on top of wheel etc. Some other good suggestions here but think the Hitchsafe will suit me better, time will tell

That mental picture is VERY disturbing !!!

Not wrong
Oh and boardies

WA, 4 posts
2 Dec 2015 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

As the week rolls on and still no car, but number plates handed in today, insurance will pay out - phew. They are not a fan of leaving it on the tyre but trying to conceal, hide, keep safe is better than not!

hardpole
WA, 573 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have a surf lock type thing with combination lock. Late first day i had usedit at pelican point came in and realised that in the twilight without glasses I couldn't read it at all. Luckily one other guy left in car park helped. He couldn't read it either but had his glasses. So if your a bit vision challenged get one with big print or a key. Now hide glasses under car but normally just lock electronic keys in glove box and take surf key with me.

Tardy
4977 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

I've been in west oz for the last 12 days .
i just used a down haul rope necklace .with the key on ,it's inside the wetsuit too ..
but no excuses for thieves ....

Obelix
WA, 1091 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

>>>realised that in the twilight without glasses I couldn't read it at all.

I have the same problem.

So now, I always leave them at all zeros, then count the clicks on the rollers

Obelix
WA, 1091 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I've been in west oz for the last 12 days .
i just used a down haul rope necklace .with the key on ,it's inside the wetsuit too ..
but no excuses for thieves ....

Tardy, have you ever found that you forgot something and had to unlock the car again?

Man0verBoard
WA, 629 posts
4 Dec 2015 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuthepirate said...
or you can loop the key around the little elastic band in your boardies pocket.
That's what it's there for right(?)

Unfortunately they break with annoying regularity(if you use them a lot)

djl070
WA, 290 posts
5 Dec 2015 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

I use one of these ,works well

stehsegler
WA, 3457 posts
5 Dec 2015 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

These KeySafe locks are definitely better than putting your key onto the tire or hiding it under the front bumper. Made that painful experience my self a few years ago in Sydney.

That said a professional thief opens these with ease. Back in school a guy in my class took no more than 20 seconds to open these types of locks without knowing the combination.

IMHO the safest bet is to lock your immobilizer key with one of these inside the car (assuming it's not one of those moronic auto unlocking keys) and then have a dummy key around your neck that only unlocks the drivers side. Some newer European cars sold in Australia these days come with plastic keys specifically for the purpose of being able to take them into the ocean.

The GPS trackers someone mentioned are not a bad idea either. The cops that took down the report for my car said that most cars are driven no more then 5 to 10 kms from the location were they are stolen and left parked on the side of the road for approx 24 hrs. to makes sure the car hasn't been equipped with a GPS device. They also recommended to never leave a car unlocked ... even at a petrol station.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Car stolen at Melville Fri 27/11/15" started by flatchat