Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

Car stolen at Melville Fri 27/11/15

Created by flatchat > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2015
flatchat
WA, 86 posts
28 Nov 2015 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

a car was stolen from the carpark at Melville yesterday. The scumbag lowlife must have been watching the windsurfer hide the keys outside the car before heading out for a sail. May have to think about how we secure our keys. I have a non electronic key cut and attached to my harness so that I can leave my electronic key in the locked vehicle. Also thinking about buying a dash cam as this is the second vehicle stolen in the last two years when a dash cam might have captured the vehicle being stolen.

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
28 Nov 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Check out PAQUA for your key. Water tight and attachable to arm, leg vest etc. I just ordered one for my canmore. Will review it when i get it.

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
28 Nov 2015 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
Check out PAQUA for your key. Water tight and attachable to arm, leg vest etc. I just ordered one for my canmore. Will review it when i get it.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Melville is generally a safe place to park and leave gear, but it just takes one low life to spoil it for everybody...

I keep my keys in my Paqua along with my GPS. Just make sure the paqua is well secured. Use the neck loop PLUS the arm band. My son put his in his board shorts pocket then didn't do up the pocket... One lost Paqua and electronic key...

ozpricey
WA, 333 posts
28 Nov 2015 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear it flatchat! Did the same thing at Melville yesterday, and had my Soloshot filming which is a pretty easy target too.

Melville is a pretty safe spot, really surprised this happened!

Describe your car - we'll keep an eye out!

flatchat
WA, 86 posts
28 Nov 2015 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Lucky for me it wasn't my car but another windsurfer. I believe the car was a black Holden Captiva but can't be certain.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
28 Nov 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Most probably not aware how cheep these are now.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=car+gps+tracker

Possible reason as with mine on my Van is its 2G, which is shut December 2016 Mine is set up, just ring it, and it transmits longitude and latitude back to my phone.
However, as 2G is coming to an end, an astute person will select the right one I am sure

Wont get this guys car back, but may save somebody a painful experience

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
28 Nov 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Tie your key or keys to a old shoe lace and put them around your neck,then tuck it below your wetsuit.

If you don't wear a wetsuit put them in the pocket of your harness.

Vince68
WA, 675 posts
29 Nov 2015 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..
Tie your key or keys to a old shoe lace and put them around your neck,then tuck it below your wetsuit.

Yep that's what i do pete, works a treat. cheap too

The GPS tracker seems like a great idea and worth considering but, generally everything is locked in the car when you go for a sail including the phone. Hard to ring it if the phone is with it. I don't know the system so perhaps it could be called from any phone.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
29 Nov 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

I've thought about grabbing an old iPhone and connecting it via the cheapest plan I can get, then hardwire the charger into the vehicle and hide it all behind a trim panel in the car somewhere.

Instant and cheap find my iCar. Can anyone see a flaw in the idea?

BSN101
WA, 2283 posts
29 Nov 2015 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Check out a "Tile". Attach to anything an find it with your phone. 12 mth life.

Mark _australia
WA, 22287 posts
29 Nov 2015 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

^^ only short range (its Bluetooth?)

GazMan
WA, 839 posts
29 Nov 2015 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said...

+1 what I do, though has to be a chip-less key just for unlocking the door, and hide the key with immobliser chip + remote lock inside vehicle. When you see the person you sail with come off the water to find their vehicle plus lots of kit stolen (like I witnessed many years ago in Sydney), then it's worth doing for your own piece of mind!!!!!!

A bugger though if you've got a newer vehicle with keyless entry!

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
29 Nov 2015 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

or you can loop the key around the little elastic band in your boardies pocket.
That's what it's there for right(?)

GazMan
WA, 839 posts
29 Nov 2015 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said...
I've thought about grabbing an old iPhone and connecting it via the cheapest plan I can get, then hardwire the charger into the vehicle and hide it all behind a trim panel in the car somewhere.

Instant and cheap find my iCar. Can anyone see a flaw in the idea?

Isn't that like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted? (Won't stop the scum from taking your vehicle!) Think a hidden immobiliser switch somewhere under the dash would be a simpler and cheaper precaution

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
29 Nov 2015 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

^^ agreed, stopping it from being stolen is better but if it were to be stolen it would be nice to get it back quickly before all the gear inside is sold for a point of cheap meth.

GazMan
WA, 839 posts
29 Nov 2015 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said...
^^ agreed, stopping it from being stolen is better but if it were to be stolen it would be nice to get it back quickly before all the gear inside is sold for a point of cheap meth.

Pretty sure there are cheap gps tracking devices available for vehicles which would allow you to locate the vehicle, if nicked, using a smartphone app.

GazMan
WA, 839 posts
29 Nov 2015 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Apparently the WA Govt were giving away free car gps tracking devices. May still be time left to get one:
www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/perth-car-owners-to-get-gps-trackers-to-fight-thieves-ng-c9f9bbd5bc92e9a15ae2f79e771d5a3c

GazMan
WA, 839 posts
29 Nov 2015 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GazMan said...
Chris6791 said...

Pretty sure there are cheap gps tracking devices available for vehicles which would allow you to locate the vehicle, if nicked, using a smartphone app.

Did some research and not as cheap as I thought! Your idea may be a cheaper option Chris, from what I have read.

WA, 4 posts
30 Nov 2015 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hello all,
I am the unlucky person who had my car stolen and its still out there with windsurfing and stand up paddle gear in it! Not to mention all the other stuff.
I watch 4 guys hide their key before I hid mine as I don't have a waterproof option on my new fancy keys. Don't get out often and just wanted a quick sail.
Thought I was going crazy when I returned and car gone. Very hard to take any action when you are standing in bathers with nothing!! Thanks to the many champions who helped me and I wish good karma to the rest of you!

tazmania
WA, 83 posts
30 Nov 2015 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Sucks to hear about your car and gear getting done. I sprung a fellow last season at Melville in an old white falcon ute casing cars. Three of them in the car two guys and a girl. No gear in the back. They pulled in and parked quickly then the male passenger got out and started walking up and down between cars looking in windows. I asked him what he was doing and he claimed he was looking for his wallet he had lost when he was in the carpark just 20 minutes ago (Depsite no gear in the back).

Quickly buggered off though so wasn't too keen on his lost wallet apparently.

Get one of those aqua pouches. I have mine in my boardies pocket connected to the loop and not being that good a windsurfer yet, have that pocket underwater for a good amount of time and the electronic key stays perfectly dry so the pouch is great at keeping the water out.

Obelix
WA, 1092 posts
30 Nov 2015 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

That really sucks.

I now use this. Hard to say how difficult it is to crack, but at least it makes it a bit harder.

www.zoomy.com.au/

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
30 Nov 2015 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

surf lock and wrap the key in alfoil . Stays with your car but the tinfoil disables the remote locking/unlocking ability .

Cambodge
VIC, 851 posts
30 Nov 2015 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..
surf lock and wrap the key in alfoil . Stays with your car but the tinfoil disables the remote locking/unlocking ability .

How about using a surf lock but attaching it to something else away from your car, out of range. No foil required and not obvious which car the surf lock relates to?

Cambodge
VIC, 851 posts
30 Nov 2015 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Alternatively....Matt Pritchard uses this: www.hitchsafe.com/

"...slides into your current standard 2" Hitch Receiver on your Truck, SUV or Van and is secured inside the Receiver Hitch via two bolt retaining bars inside the HitchSafe."

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
30 Nov 2015 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cambodge said..

dusta said..

How about using a surf lock but attaching it to something else away from your car, out of range. No foil required and not obvious which car the surf lock relates to?

how about just attaching it to your car , no idea why you have to go to all that effort when a small piece of foil will do the trick . A crim if he did get into a remote surf lock would just walk around until he saw which car unlocked .

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
30 Nov 2015 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cambodge said..
Alternatively....Matt Pritchard uses this: www.hitchsafe.com/

"...slides into your current standard 2" Hitch Receiver on your Truck, SUV or Van and is secured inside the Receiver Hitch via two bolt retaining bars inside the HitchSafe."

Perfect, I'll look up and order

WA, 4 posts
30 Nov 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

These guys were watching me for sure. There is security vision at the house over the road which will help eventually, but I think even if Id left keys somewhere else in grass area- whatever they knew what they wanted. Unsure why my car - may it was a boring every day mum car and not as obvious? Yes a waterproof something is the answer….little lesson for all I guess

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
30 Nov 2015 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

CCTV footage from across the road probably won't be much good, it's most likely too far away and not pointing out at the road as much as you might like. It might show you the type and colour car they were in but not much more. I'll place my money on a white Commodore sedan...

ozpricey
WA, 333 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Potentially heading off topic, but does anyone know how car insurance takes to surflocks/hitchlocks? Technically the keys are on the car.

I'm wondering if an insurance company would pay out an insurance claim if a thief used boltcutters to break the surflock (or similar) and steal the car.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
2 Dec 2015 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

I've just ordered the Hitchsafe $108 delivered, did a little research and no not 100% tamper proof but I'm not worried as I think they'll just move onto the next car especially like Melville or down here on the peel. It'll also be handy when having quick swim at beach as I normally only have my towel and double pluggers. I'm not sure re insurance, might check but think much better than key on top of wheel etc. Some other good suggestions here but think the Hitchsafe will suit me better, time will tell

Zoomy
1 posts
2 Dec 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Obelix, thanks for mentioning my surf lock, I hope it's been serving you well.

We have plenty of surf locks available for $42.95 delivered anywhere in Australia.

Although they won't guarantee your car won't be stolen, they'll certainly be much more effective than hiding your keys.

www.zoomy.com.au/

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Car stolen at Melville Fri 27/11/15" started by flatchat