Forums > Kitesurfing General

Incident at Lancelin

Created by Fresian1 > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2006
Fresian1
WA, 8 posts
27 Nov 2006 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

On Saturday this weekend I was kiting up at Lancelin. Anyone who has kited there before would know that there are signs and bollards in place requesting kiters to stay north or south of the grassed/windsurfing area which I rightly respect.

At about 5pm in the afternoon there were no more than 2 or 3 windsurfers inside the reef (maybe 6 or 7 outside the reef) and one or two other kites. I was kiting downwind (or north) of the bollards and windsurfing area by about 100-200m when one of the windsurfers began heading towards me. I went downwind to avoid the windsurfer who yelled something at me. I stayed kiting where I was as there was only one other kiter in the area. No more than 1 or 2 minutes later the same thing happened, except this time as I changed course upwind so did the windsurfer. I then went hard downwind only to have the windsurfer change course and continue to head straight for me. I had to move a long way downwind to avoid the collision almost ending up amongst the boats. I must admit that by this stage I was a little unmoved and shaken! This attack was deliberate and pre-meditated. It was reckless and dangerous, and what was even more concerning was that it was the proprietor of the beach winsurfing hire business!! He then went on to attack another kitesurfer in exactly the same manner except that this time the kiter ended up in the water with him trying to run him over.

Here is a guy who should be a champion of water safety in the area going out of his way to run down other people in the water. If he did feel there was something I should not have been doing then there are a lot better ways to communicate this, especially given I had been there all afternoon and had been out of the water on occasion. Not only was there next to nobody in the water but I was well out of the way of where anyone was likely to be windsurfing. If this is the type of behavious someone like this promotes and deems appropriate, then he shouldn't have the privlege to conduct his business on the beach!

What made me even more angry was to see a kite in the very same area I avoided all day the previous day, sailing right in front of the very guy who attacked me the day before and he didn't seem to mind one bit. So while I am acutely aware of the sensitivities to kiting in some areas and am only too happy to abide by the local rules, there is nothing that warrants this kind of behaviour.

So hopefully this is not the accepted practise at Lancelin but thought it worth letting other people know who might kite around Lancelin. If this sort of thing has happened up there before to anyone I would certainly be keen to hear about it.

Cheers..

mikeb
QLD, 126 posts
27 Nov 2006 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

can someone tell werner germany lost the war. move on relax, were not enemies anymore.

jezmondo
WA, 31 posts
27 Nov 2006 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Fresian...

Hello mate from the not so sunny shores of the Uk, I got back this morning from an awesome trip all over WA. I spent a good few days at LANCELIN great place, big hello to all the guys at Lancelin Lodge (fantastic place with some real good hosts).

I was lucky enough to meet the Grumbling German.... Werner, I too understood the laws (where to set up & launch) did as was requested and stayed out of everyones way, he tried the old suicidal camacazi run at me a couple of times, I had heard of his dislike towards Kiters so wasn't going to take any of his **** ( a few days previous to me arriving apparently he went to someones lines with a knife.... I didnt move out of his way on both occasions where he was blatently going for me... Once I took great satisfaction of jumping over him and waving down at him the other I just did a kite loop about 5m's in front of him and he decided best to turn around,,,,

I appreciate the fact that he was there first and Windsurfers should have enough space secluded away from Kiters, especially beginners.... But here we have a real idiot who should be alot happier and friendlier towards other riders, surely he should be promoting his spot and should be friendly to people.....

Anyway hopefully soon someone will have the balls to set up shop there and start a whole school there, I have no doubt it would be a real money spinner....

Take care mate and good winds to you

Jezmondo.

brucex
QLD, 701 posts
27 Nov 2006 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

i KITED THERE LAST YEAR - OCTOBER....I am sure its not all of the windsurfers but i got yelled at for landing in front of the zone - there were no people on the beach......

What a ****ed up deal that place is ...everywhere i kite in aus the 2 sports co - exist......

maybe when the kiters out number the poleboarders we can turn the tables.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

This guys got quite a rep.....
I saved a guys kite once at lano as he had pulled his q/r. As I was walking back up the beach trying to find the kite its owner, I copped an earfull.
Being a good role model is part of being a good instructor.
Real perceptive guy, I wasnt wet, wasnt wearing a harness and had shoes on.
Sounds like his mouth is cashing cheques one day his body wont carry.

gasman
WA, 320 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

It's really simple. I had the same problem with a character at main break Margaret River.
The first time he charges, chase him down and tell him you are putting in a formal complaint with the local cops. Clearly you will need a witness to make anything stick.
But I found just the warning was enough with the psycho down south, as anyone that mad is going to have either a police record, or other complaints on file. I'll put $100 on Werner having a long history at the local police station.

It is our responsibility to have ZERO tollerance towards Werner, because when someone gets badly hurt, it'll partly be our fault for not standing up to him.

johntbone
WA, 48 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Me being a stubborn prick decided to rig up on the grass and walk down the beach, got the withering stare and all that.

After an hour of kiting, landed my kite up the beach and went to the grass to de rig, again got the death stare by this hitler guy but one of his generals came over and told me in short that i have to move on to the road to deflate or he was going to knife my gear.

At this point i told him to wait as i went to my car and got my torque wrench out of my car. Old general wasnt any where to be seen and hitler stopped looking.

My point is that though there are some un written laws, what this guy is doing is called harrasment and it is a against the laws, whats the problem with pumping up on some grass, violence can get you in to some deep **** and im no hero but some times to be heard you have to shout![}:)]

27 Nov 2006 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Werner needs to change his kn website:

windsurfwa.com/werner/

"Kitesurfing.

Qualified instructors teaching with trainer and regular inflatable kites, two and four line, beginners, directional and twin tip boards. Phone Werner to make bookings.

The Lancelin area is a great place to learn to kitesurf."

Why don't you give him a kn call:

Werner Lortscher
Phone: +61 8 9655-1448
Fax: +61 8 9655-1553
Email: windslanc@hotmail.com

gasman
WA, 320 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant!!

SPAM HIM TO DEATH!!!

gasman
WA, 320 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

SPAM , SPAM, SPAM, SPAM .... WONDERFUL SPAM, MARVELOUS SPAM........

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

hey keith
maybe a bit of legal pressure required?

Fresian1
WA, 8 posts
27 Nov 2006 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys for your thoughts, tips and ideas in dealing with this. I never realised how frequent and deliberate this issue has become. I have since followed up with the relevant authorities so hopefully something is done about this otherwise someone wont be so lucky next time around!

Glad to here you had a good time out here jezmondo, the beaches of WA are a great backyard to have!

27 Nov 2006 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Fresian1

Thanks guys for your thoughts, tips and ideas in dealing with this. I never realised how frequent and deliberate this issue has become. I have since followed up with the relevant authorities so hopefully something is done about this otherwise someone wont be so lucky next time around!

Glad to here you had a good time out here jezmondo, the beaches of WA are a great backyard to have!

Although looks like kn Werner may yield a bit of local pressure:

windsurfwa.com/werner/windsurfwa.html

"Werner, along with his partner, Silvia (pic) , also runs a good restaurant in town, El Tropo as well as being President of the Lancelin Golf Club."

Better make sure we are talking about the same fat kn bloke.

27 Nov 2006 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by bolgo

hey keith
maybe a bit of legal pressure required?

Carefull Bolgo, I know your alter ego too you know

johntbone
WA, 48 posts
27 Nov 2006 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

thats her, she makes a good breakfast in the morning! had to wait till he left for golf before i crawled out from under the bed though

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
27 Nov 2006 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

How about heading out there, getting someone on the beach to video tape it and then hand it over to one of the lovely programs on tv that loves exposing people like that for what they are?

kitecrazzzy
WA, 2184 posts
27 Nov 2006 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

who wants to volunteer to give up kite time to be a camera man?
helmet cam!!!

hosko
WA, 393 posts
27 Nov 2006 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

he looks like jack van tongeran

Mini Mal
WA, 298 posts
27 Nov 2006 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Stand your ground boys, this Werner sound like a certain bloke in Gero not even Australian . They couldnt cut it in their home country so they bring their localism & thugery to our peacefull shores.I,m going to lancelin for a kite!!

max power
WA, 12 posts
27 Nov 2006 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

The Shire of Gingin (which Lancelin is a part of) is very concerned about any hostilities from Licence holders to the general public, as no licenced holder has any right to any specific part of the beach or reserve rather just a licence to trade there.
If you have a specific grevience the right person to write to is the Principal Environmental Health Officer Wayne Harris at mail@gingin.wa.gov.au or 7 Brockman Street, Gingin, 6503, ph 9575 2211 or call in at the Gin gin shire shopfront which is just to the left of the supermarket at the shops.
Genuine complaints regarding the general public are taken very seriously by the Shire and can only help the Kiteboarders cause.

RayQ
WA, 635 posts
27 Nov 2006 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

actually , hes swiss

27 Nov 2006 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by RayQ

actually , hes swiss

kn careful, apparently he has a knife,
a can opener, an orange peeler, a file, a screwdriver, a pair of scissors, a ...

Going
58 posts
27 Nov 2006 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I had the same torubles with this guy when i was there the last time last summer!
But to tell u i'm swiss too and this is not our behaviour!!!
Next time i'll come over i gonna have a talk to him in swiss german and tell him that he'd better stop that scheisse!!! ;-)
To be serious: i accept the beach and grass rule otherwise we get banned another time from a beach.
but the attack story is unexcussable. so i'd sue on him or go to the local police station...
the big problem is that when there is an accident cause of him its another "extreme sport" accident and gives us more of this ****ty bad reputation!!!

27 Nov 2006 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Going

I had the same torubles with this guy when i was there the last time last summer!
But to tell u i'm swiss too and this is not our behaviour!!!
Next time i'll come over i gonna have a talk to him in swiss german and tell him that he'd better stop that scheisse!!! ;-)
To be serious: i accept the beach and grass rule otherwise we get banned another time from a beach.
but the attack story is unexcussable. so i'd sue on him or go to the local police station...
the big problem is that when there is an accident cause of him its another "extreme sport" accident and gives us more of this ****ty bad reputation!!!

Maybe he has been here too kn long and is too kn Australian now - after all, some of us have been protecting some of our (not even local) spots with the threat of voilence - see the kiteforum thread on that spot up north that I won't name.

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
27 Nov 2006 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

keith
who u billing all this time to?

azza
1338 posts
27 Nov 2006 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

A relative of mine, a man with no tolerance at all for idiots like the one described above, may well have dealt with the issue in much the following manner...

Aggressor: "What are you doing here? Clear off!"
Beloved rellie: "I've every right to be here."
Aggressor: "Not today ya don't, now p!ss off!"
Beloved rellie: "Do you know who I am?"
Aggressor: "I don't care who you are, get lost!"
Beloved rellie: "Do you know who I am?"
Aggressor: "No..."
Beloved rellie: "Good!"

The conversation would usually end at this point with a sudden impact to the aggressors' jaw. (End of story... maybe.)

Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone should try this method of conflict resolution, even though it does make an amusing and interesting tale. My point being though, sooner or later someone is going to react in a similar manner so, report the pr!ck to the authorities before someone does themselves an injustice and clobbers him.

Fresian1
WA, 8 posts
27 Nov 2006 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

I have reported the incident to both the Gingin shire council and the local police. I will wait to hear from them now as to what will happen next. Hopefully justice is served.

Jess
WA, 206 posts
27 Nov 2006 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Werner and Silvia closed El Tropo a couple of years ago, the WWA page just hasn't been updated.
A pity really, they made THE BEST food ever.

27 Nov 2006 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Fresian1

I have reported the incident to both the Gingin shire council and the local police. I will wait to hear from them now as to what will happen next. Hopefully justice is served.

By the way, an assault under the Criminal Code can be the threat of force - it does not have to be actual force.
So, in the circumstances, the Police do have a right to do something about it.

azza
1338 posts
27 Nov 2006 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

If you file a written report/complaint with the police, rather than just call by phone, there is also a paper-trail that (a) the police must deal with formally, and (b) a documented history for when he's stupid enough to do it again.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Incident at Lancelin" started by Fresian1