Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

AC 2024

Created by Brent in Qld 5 months ago, 14 Apr 2024
Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
23 Aug 2024 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

www.americascup.com/relive/barcelona/33_BARCELONA-DAY-1

The link above has each of the days races in full. Reckon my routine will be watching a bit live then running the Youtube replays in the evenings.

GB looked very ordinary, others getting the nerves out. Kiwis and US looked slick, both the top notch skippers from SailGP and will be the bench mark. Patriot looked to be an upwind monster.

morts
WA, 179 posts
23 Aug 2024 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Can also watch it on Kayo

fangman
WA, 1567 posts
23 Aug 2024 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

I would love to have a HUD of that wind strength graphic across the course when I am sailing.

806 posts
24 Aug 2024 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'm happy watching the morning replay until it gets serious

Day 2 shows how important the pre starts are

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
26 Aug 2024 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Plenty to unpack from the weekend and it looked like the pre-regatta was a great way to shake down the boats without too much on the line.

LV cup starts Thursday, going to be a few late nights in our household.

806 posts
28 Aug 2024 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

The Preliminary races were a great start and not long to points and a challenger going home after double round robin and defender dropping out.
I hope there isn't the systems issues that stopped a few boats during racing and apparently NZ the day before the racing started.
The last day was different from earlier racing with different wind direction and significant swell but definitely action packed with America beating team NZ, Alinghi leading only to foil out and loss to the Italians. The French were leading but Ineos beat them and then the Kiwis to win the final. Exciting with lead changes, penalties!
These boats being lighter, less crew and bigger foils still had to execute their maneuvers well to keep foiling.

Let the real racing begin

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
30 Aug 2024 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

ETNZ had a crane failure and dropped the boat overnight. Damage being assessed. Day one was one for the supposed underdogs with good wins to GB & OE. Sail selection proving vital.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
30 Aug 2024 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

fangman
WA, 1567 posts
31 Aug 2024 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Bugger for the Kiwis, but still looking better than the Aussie entrant.

www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-30/several-injured-in-leeuwin-accident-fremantle-port/104289764

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
31 Aug 2024 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
Bugger for the Kiwis, but still looking better than the Aussie entrant.

www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-30/several-injured-in-leeuwin-accident-fremantle-port/104289764

Its a sorry state of affairs ain't it. I live a few suburbs across from fremantle and was wondering why there was a ship blaring it's horn for an extended amount of time as i left for work.

decrepit
WA, 12137 posts
31 Aug 2024 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Obviously blaring the horn didn't help much

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
1 Sep 2024 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

After a few rounds this is what I'm seeing. Top teams preforming better and better, pressure starting to play into the races.

TNZ was back in the water yesterday, didn't race but astounding effort none the less to fix the damage, pretty lucky with a bad situation that could have been a lot worse. The defender looks to be a benchmark again.

Luna Rossa is looking the goods in the light air. They are really hitting good form sailing better with each outing. Seriously have the bit between the teeth after the loss in AKL 4yrs ago.

The moment the wind increases above 10knts where staying on the foils is less of an issue, Patriot is the one to watch. Need to pick the wind better on the course and engage if the wind is light to keep opposition tied down in dirty air.

Ineos have found gains and are getting their act together, particularly in the start box. They'll win on tactics in close races.

OE doing surprisingly well but making fundamental errors under pressure. Still got good pace when they can put a full course together without errors.

Alinghi stink, appear to have a good enough boat but are buckling under the pressure of a few losses. Soul searching and sleepless nights...

decrepit
WA, 12137 posts
1 Sep 2024 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Just watched the replays.

Light air is a big thing, makes match racing tactics so much more effective. Force the opposition off the foils and you'll win.

Gdog6
62 posts
1 Sep 2024 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Bring on some decent wind and let's see them really honking!

morts
WA, 179 posts
3 Sep 2024 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't like to be on those boats when the lightning started

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
3 Sep 2024 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Certainly was the most rushed I've everyone packing up & headed for port!

Good to see a bit more wind and the boats cranking 50kts. Good moral boost to Alinghi and a small jab in the side of ETNZ for Luna Rossa.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
4 Sep 2024 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

That's Luna Rossa to the right. Apparently new undies have been ordered for the entire crew.

decrepit
WA, 12137 posts
4 Sep 2024 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

I just read an article saying, on the water is the worst possible place you can be when lightning is around.
And don't have anything tall sticking up. How that bolt didn't go straight down the mast, must be a miracle.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
4 Sep 2024 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
I just read an article saying, on the water is the worst possible place you can be when lightning is around.
And don't have anything tall sticking up. How that bolt didn't go straight down the mast, must be a miracle.

Challengers have been known to go to great lengths to get their hands on the cup. Maybe Luna Rossi has the Vatican on speed dial for such circumstances?

Here's an even better shot, maybe image of this AC.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
6 Sep 2024 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Only a few races to go in the round robin. Alinghi finally making ground, American Magic are either on or off and by all accounts the French look like they'll be going home early.
For those who follow, the ladder shows no surprises and is pretty representative of how each team is sailing. All teams have shown chinks in their armour except Luna Rossa, pretty much flawless to date.

806 posts
6 Sep 2024 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

That lightning bolt must have been scary great photo!
Agree Luna Rosa are on form Only concern is seen them lose their rudder a few times!
Great match racing today and American Majic were lucky to get the win over INEOS!
Good to see the Swiss beat Majic and birthday boy Tom wasn't happy with losing and seemed they couldn't get enough power doing multiple touch downs. Shows how important avoiding penalties are!
Lack of time training shows with the French, I was hoping they would beat the Swiss

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
6 Sep 2024 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
515 said..
That lightning bolt must have been scary great photo!
Agree Luna Rosa are on form Only concern is seen them lose their rudder a few times!
Great match racing today and American Majic were lucky to get the win over INEOS!
Good to see the Swiss beat Majic and birthday boy Tom wasn't happy with losing and seemed they couldn't get enough power doing multiple touch downs. Shows how important avoiding penalties are!
Lack of time training shows with the French, I was hoping they would beat the Swiss

Orient Express have made been subtle in saying ETNZ took their sweet time handing over the design package. Having said that they were always going to be on the back foot against the seasoned campaigners. No racing tonight then into the final two rounds.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
8 Sep 2024 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

?si=UZpIV3I0MQViMWrc

Nice breakdown for the boffins about how the details can make or break.

806 posts
9 Sep 2024 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

He does great video analysis
Luna Rosa did a number on us kiwis on that start
Basically separate sheets on each mainsail skin requires more sheeting - more oil - more demands on cyclors. Combined with more mainsail twist and traveller high and our more pronounced underwater rear bussell results in slower head to wind move so lose start and race.

He also did great video on American Majic and how recumbent cyclors couldn't generate enough power.

INOES two great wins sailing great and with high volume hull recovered well after nose diving

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
9 Sep 2024 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Agree. It's interesting how from each team's low point they seem to bounce back. Obviously OE & Alinghi are the underdogs, I'd say AM have yet to have a bounce back moment and that their weak point is engaging when lots of juice is required. Do they concentrate on winning the start and sailing the shortest course with the least manoeuvres? I was expecting them to excel in the wind but clearly their leg machines are struggling around the course when it's game on.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
9 Sep 2024 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

So there you have it. OE go home and Sep 14 for the start of the semis. Brits looking the business at this point.

806 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

Wow great racing today in windier conditions.
I won't put the score so no spoiler alert in case you haven't seen the latest racing results.
Nerves of steel for marginal downwind port starboard cross at 44 knots!

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
515 said..
Wow great racing today in windier conditions.
I won't put the score so no spoiler alert in case you haven't seen the latest racing results.
Nerves of steel for marginal downwind port starboard cross at 44 knots!

A shame AM had to switch out Paul Goodison with his injury. Other than the one or two touchdowns with the new helm, they are right in it with LR. Thems the breaks I suppose. Only 2 seconds on the last race so closer with each race.

Brent in Qld
WA, 1032 posts
Yesterday , 17 Sep 2024 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Lay day today, did not expect yesterday's results.
Back to GB struggling in the light wind with Alinghi showing masterful displacement mode control to win. LR was way too aggressive in the light air and paid the price with AM foiling away with a flawless display. Would be miraculous to see comebacks, just great to see all teams with wins on the board.
Game on Wednesday.

806 posts
Yesterday , 17 Sep 2024 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brent in Qld said..

A shame AM had to switch out Paul Goodison with his injury. Other than the one or two touchdowns with the new helm, they are right in it with LR. Thems the breaks I suppose. Only 2 seconds on the last race so closer with each race.

Broken ribs suck but Lucas Calabrese is still really good. Talking of helmsman on INEOS Dylan Fletcher doing a great job and don't even hear about Giles Scott who was doing better than Ben in GP50

Agree great to see the Swiss and AM get wins and hopefully a couple more wins to extend the racing.
The comeback in 2013 was legendary and Tom and Jimmy (respect but us kiwis hated him at the time)!
With the light gusty winds there was a lot of lead changes until LR jammed that mark rounding - off foils and game over.
I'd love to know what changes the teams are making!
Bring on more close racing

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"AC 2024" started by Brent in Qld