Created by Duff15 > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2019
Duff15
VIC, 249 posts
16 May 2019 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
natho6026961 said..

DukeSilver said..
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to get the 91 eventually I think. Apparently Jim Stringfellow makes an adapter thats more hydrodynamic than the original one. I'll be keen to hear how it goes once you get it.

The dudes at Mackiteboarding reckoned they could notice a bit of a hum at higher speed but not an issue for cruising around.

Didn't see the Stringy one - a bit more rounded. Too late now!

I'm not getting any humming from mine. All I can hear is the wind on my lines. But the 683 is not built for speed though it can carry a fair bit is your keen.

natho6026961
WA, 115 posts
21 Jul 2019 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

So I finally got the 683S and the 450 stabiliser and have had a couple of opportunities to try to it out, attached to my Slingshot mast via the Foilmount adapter.

I bought the Foilmount adapter first, rather hastily, and then realised it shifted the mast position towards the back due to the position of the screws. I then bought the 743 "Stringy" fuselage, which shifts the mast forward compared to the standard Moses 710 or 749 fuselage. Alternatively, I could have got the "Stringy" adapter, which shifts the mast forward and used a standard Moses fuselage, but being a TA, I stuck with the Foilmount adapter. The Foilmount adapter and 743 fuselage (which is really more designed for the 633 wing) is a good combination and works well with my 4'6" Dwarfcraft board.

1st session I could definitely notice a noise when cruising downwind at a pretty decent speed, one I hadn't heard before with the hoverglide. I wouldn't quite describe it as a humming, more like the noise a motor or pump does when a bearing is on its way out. Not super annoying tbh and not audible going upwind or normal cruising.

After that session I decided to hack into the adapter to smooth the edges out, make it more hydrodynamic-looking, what I had always intended to do. I had been thinking of how to do it for a little while, and hadn't really settled on a shape, but in the end I just grabbed the b@stard (the file) and ripped into it, conscious of not shaving too much meat off the little piece of aluminium that was the only thing holding my new awesome foil onto my cheap mast. Bit of black metal primer afterward.

2nd session heading downwind quite fast, performance-wise seemed the same as before, but couldn't hear the noise, just the gentle hissing of the mast. Pretty happy with this outcome.

Before:

After:

Comparing the 683S to the hoverglide, I am finding the 683S way better, probably not unsurprising. One unexpected plus though was the weight. The Moses wings and 743 fuselage weigh about 1.6kg compared to the equivalent hoverglide setup, which is 2.7kg. The 1.1kg difference at the end of the 90cm mast makes a HUGE difference and makes everything generally more awesome; from carrying the board, to body dragging and water starts.

Duff15
VIC, 249 posts
22 Jul 2019 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
natho6026961 said..
So I finally got the 683S and the 450 stabiliser and have had a couple of opportunities to try to it out, attached to my Slingshot mast via the Foilmount adapter.

I bought the Foilmount adapter first, rather hastily, and then realised it shifted the mast position towards the back due to the position of the screws. I then bought the 743 "Stringy" fuselage, which shifts the mast forward compared to the standard Moses 710 or 749 fuselage. Alternatively, I could have got the "Stringy" adapter, which shifts the mast forward and used a standard Moses fuselage, but being a TA, I stuck with the Foilmount adapter. The Foilmount adapter and 743 fuselage (which is really more designed for the 633 wing) is a good combination and works well with my 4'6" Dwarfcraft board.

1st session I could definitely notice a noise when cruising downwind at a pretty decent speed, one I hadn't heard before with the hoverglide. I wouldn't quite describe it as a humming, more like the noise a motor or pump does when a bearing is on its way out. Not super annoying tbh and not audible going upwind or normal cruising.

After that session I decided to hack into the adapter to smooth the edges out, make it more hydrodynamic-looking, what I had always intended to do. I had been thinking of how to do it for a little while, and hadn't really settled on a shape, but in the end I just grabbed the b@stard (the file) and ripped into it, conscious of not shaving too much meat off the little piece of aluminium that was the only thing holding my new awesome foil onto my cheap mast. Bit of black metal primer afterward.

2nd session heading downwind quite fast, performance-wise seemed the same as before, but couldn't hear the noise, just the gentle hissing of the mast. Pretty happy with this outcome.

Before:

After:

Comparing the 683S to the hoverglide, I am finding the 683S way better, probably not unsurprising. One unexpected plus though was the weight. The Moses wings and 743 fuselage weigh about 1.6kg compared to the equivalent hoverglide setup, which is 2.7kg. The 1.1kg difference at the end of the 90cm mast makes a HUGE difference and makes everything generally more awesome; from carrying the board, to body dragging and water starts.

Great front wing the 683s. Can foil in waves with it (if that's your style) very versatile with an impressive top speed. I ride it from 10knots to 35knots.

AvengerIl
VIC, 2 posts
11 Apr 2020 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Can someone elaborate on the differnces between the 683 and the 720? Min and max speeds for one? How powerhungry kitewise they are? Id like to go upwind like a rocket but the 683 is only my second foil..i understand its easy to get overpowered on the 683? Ie old kites i have might be a bit too much..

Duff15
VIC, 249 posts
11 Apr 2020 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AvengerIl said..
Can someone elaborate on the differnces between the 683 and the 720? Min and max speeds for one? How powerhungry kitewise they are? Id like to go upwind like a rocket but the 683 is only my second foil..i understand its easy to get overpowered on the 683? Ie old kites i have might be a bit too much..

I used the 683 in 35knots on a 4m. If your overpowered use a smaller kite.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
12 Apr 2020 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

I find the 683 to be an extremely well balanced foil. I got a 590 for the high winds and so far I never had to use it.

Loving the 683.

warwickl
NSW, 2216 posts
12 Apr 2020 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..
I find the 683 to be an extremely well balanced foil. I got a 590 for the high winds and so far I never had to use it.

Loving the 683.

I also love my 683 for kite foiling and the 1100 for wing foiling.

natho6026961
WA, 115 posts
12 Apr 2020 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Can get pretty decent speed on the 683S (aka 679), fast enough for me anyway strapless, without having to muscle it like the 633.

The low end is also great, but kind of dumps when stalled, you unlike the 633, which gently lowers you onto a pillow.

Foilsport
VIC, 6 posts
27 Apr 2020 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AvengerIl said..

Come grab one for a test ride - Got heaps in stock - Can answer your questions as well
Ben 0405687303 OR
MSG me here or Foilsport.com.au

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Moses 683" started by Duff15