Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite

Created by AKSonline > 9 months ago, 21 Apr 2011
Nath
WA, 113 posts
13 Jan 2012 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...

Took a twin tip out today, for the first time in a couple of years and did some boosts. It certainly doesn't give floaty jumps, it just drops you down so quick. Point the board down wind and ride it out.

I think surfingboye is onto it. After reading the comments about the Reo's performance as a jumping machine I recently grabbed a twintip and had a go on some ramps in strong wind. It still seemed to be able to get you up there but the ride down wasn't super floaty - I made the quick switch back to my surfboard I think that this characteristic may actually be one of the reasons the Reos excels as a kite for strapless riding - it helps if the kite follows your trajectory wherever you go to maintain contact with your board and provide freedom for sudden or upwind turns on a wave, etc. you don't want a kite that floats you over the dips or during upwind top turns as this tends to pull you off the board when wave riding. It may also be one of the characteristics that helped the guy (Aa) on the Reo get the high upwind angle in the recent Jaws video.

Here are a couple of pics to share from a trip to south coast WA last week. Hope everyone is getting their share of summer seabreezes!

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
13 Jan 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

well I thought this thread was long gone but since it's still going I might as well add a few thoughts after finally giving the twintip a run over xmas. So what I found was the kite had no punch when jumping and kitelooping so seemed a little boring. When changing direction it tended to fly over to the other side and stop at the edge of the window then lose power before you could gain momentum in that direction. It's probably something that with a bit of timing you could sort out but why bother when you have a set of c4's ready to go. But unhooking was a different story. Probably not the best for getting huge pop but very easy and forgiving even when they wandered up to 12 mid jump. The other thing I found was although they are forgiving and stable learners tended to do better on the catalyst as the reo very easily gets to the edge of the window and loses power so needs some kite skills to keep it moving and off the edge of the window until you have plenty of speed.
So all in all it seems everything that makes it work in the surf kinda makes it a bit average but still usable in the flat water.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
13 Jan 2012 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Yep, Ozone are spot on in specifying each kite -

REO = waves
Catalyst = Beginner and all-round waves and freeride
C4 = Freestyle, wakestyle, and freeride for intermediate and above
Edge = Race and massive air

They all do their designated jobs superbly.

Plummet
4862 posts
13 Jan 2012 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

iv'e got a
13 edge
10 c4
6 reo

just need to at an 8 catalyst to complete the set!....

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
13 Jan 2012 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

plummet,i just got my new catalyst 8 ,i was upgrading my edges 7,9,11,the seven for the winter nwesters and big swells we get here in the mid west,my mate who sells solely ozone in the uk advised me to go with the catalyst 8,i was out last week in 38knts real gusty,the kite behaved superbly,after about 20 mins i tuned into the speed of the kite and had a ball,it seems to be marketed as a beginner kite but it felt great ,smooth in the turn good floaty hangtime,a couple of the locals said the was a bit of flex in the canopy when the gusts came ,but i didnt feel it in the bar , the fast flow inflate is great compared to my 2010 edges, very happy with the kite

bobajob
QLD, 1534 posts
22 Jan 2012 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

I've been reading through a fair bit of this and can't sort of make up my mind/work out if the 10 or 12 would be good for my circumstanecs;

95kg
Goldie, so mostly 3 - 4 ft surf
6'2' strapped board ( can easily chage feet or ride toeside )
Fairly intermediate on sb and riding it a lot more than the twinnie.
I guess the breeze is mostly 15 - 20/25.
Would the 10 get me going in 15Kt?
Who has these to demo on the goldie

Thanks,
Rob

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
22 Jan 2012 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

bobajob said...

I've been reading through a fair bit of this and can't sort of make up my mind/work out if the 10 or 12 would be good for my circumstanecs;

95kg

Thanks,
Rob

From one elephant to another:
I think for your weight the 12m would be a better option.
I have the 10m + 5'8 surfboard + 73kgs. I struggle to keep up wind on a 10m in
15knots. The kite is fast flying, and good technique on sineing the kite helps in generating apparent wind.

Goodluck
KR

Slack
WA, 685 posts
22 Jan 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

bobajob said...

95kg

Thanks,
Rob

I(73kg) have 8, 10, 12 Reos and on a SB in 15kn I'd go the 10m but at 95kg you'd definitely want the 12m. Don't be put off by the “12” it is still a great kite to fly but obviously the 10 then 8 are even more fun.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
23 Jan 2012 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

At 72kg I have 6-8-10 and ride unstrapped short, wide, flat boards

The 10 goes good for me in 13-17kn. Any more than that and I'm on the 8. What I really like the 10 for is those light/marginal days when the surf's good - eg at the start of summer. But if I had to chose 2 kites it's be 6-8 with a fish or nugget for light days.

I reckon at 95 kegs you'd probably be after the 12 as a big kite. See if you can get a hold of both to compare. Apparently the 12 goes pretty good.

bobajob
QLD, 1534 posts
23 Jan 2012 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback

I was sort of leaning toward the 12. Currently I have 13 Waroo I think is 08/09 and is getting a bit, well used and doesn't sit as nice as she used to. And since I'm going the way more and more toward the sb I thought I'd explore the more wave specific option.

Cheers

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
23 Jan 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

bobajob said...

Thanks for the feedback

I was sort of leaning toward the 12. Currently I have 13 Waroo I think is 08/09 and is getting a bit, well used and doesn't sit as nice as she used to. And since I'm going the way more and more toward the sb I thought I'd explore the more wave specific option.

Cheers

I reckon I would rather be flying a dooner than a 08/09 Waroo.
Enjoy the Reo!

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
24 Jan 2012 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

I flew the 10 Reo, it is not a "light wind kite" even for my 70kg. I haven't tried the 12 Reo, but the 12 Cat is my ultimate light wind kite... it's a whole class up above all other 12m kites I ever flown, and I flew and owned a few... It still turns relatively fast and smooth for the smaller waves, but the real thing is how close it likes to fly to the edge even in light winds...

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
30 Jan 2012 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

Had a pretty onshore session today, and a couple of times when I was hooked in edging hard away from the kite it managed to unhook itself. Both times I was using the chicken bone, 1st time leash on flagging line resulting in a swim in.

Anyone had this happen to them before, and any ideas what may be causing this? The chicken bone seems long enough? I have read similar issues on Seabreeze before but I can't remember which thread, and a search yielded no results.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
30 Jan 2012 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

I would check your spreader bar surfingboy I have seen 1 or 2 straighten out a bit.
and bobajob I would go the 12 for a replacement to the 13 best mind you I am just shy of 90 kegs and the 10 does me fine from 15 knots on a fairly wide tail board (airush quad)

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
30 Jan 2012 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...

Had a pretty onshore session today, and a couple of times when I was hooked in edging hard away from the kite it managed to unhook itself. Both times I was using the chicken bone, 1st time leash on flagging line resulting in a swim in.

Anyone had this happen to them before, and any ideas what may be causing this? The chicken bone seems long enough? I have read similar issues on Seabreeze before but I can't remember which thread, and a search yielded no results.

Too lazy to find the post. But most people, took a hammer to their spreader bar, and bent the hook down further. My mystic warrior 2 does this as well occasionally.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
30 Jan 2012 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

mmm? So does it unhook cause the loop is forced past the donkey dick? Seems odd.

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
30 Jan 2012 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Heres the thread your after guys

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Newbies-Tips-Tricks/Chicken-loop-unhooks-why/

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
30 Jan 2012 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

ride c4's and have had it happen quite a few times. You have to twist the donkey dick so it sits straight and is not twisted as you feed it through the chicken loop. make sure the donkey dick is parallel with the chicken loop. make sense? SHould stay in just fine after that

30 Jan 2012 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...

mmm? So does it unhook cause the loop is forced past the donkey dick? Seems odd.

Post a pic of your harness hook taken from top view and side view and post it here.
I've had it happen on a number of kites until I worked out it was the hook shape on the harness I has using.
Solution was to bend the hook into more of a hook shape.

truster
WA, 83 posts
31 Jan 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

I Have hered the reo gos flat on the water if taken by a wave, and dose not recover???

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
1 Feb 2012 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

truster said...

I Have hered the reo gos flat on the water if taken by a wave, and dose not recover???

I saw one today get hit by multiple waves untill the leash broke and it didn't go flat

blueprint
WA, 321 posts
1 Feb 2012 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Truster, fopund this on page 2, may in part answer your question

Nath said...

·         Lock the valves on each strut to get best performance and easiest relaunch if pounded by waves
·         Clean any sand off the large inflate valve when inflating kites
-  Make sure you've got the right pump fitting when leaving for a downwinder with mates

Nath

1 Feb 2012 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

truster said...

Not true at all, Reo is very fast to relaunch. Unless its gets torn up by a wave it will relaunch well so long as you have some line tension.

truster
WA, 83 posts
3 Feb 2012 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Not true at all, Reo is very fast to relaunch. Unless its gets torn up by a wave it will relaunch well so long as you have some line tension.

1)relaunch fast in flat water
2)relaunch fast in flat water,in between 10m sets
3)is it one of the slowest to relaunch when the lins have no tension after hit by a wave???

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
3 Feb 2012 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

so what is the fastest kite to relaunch with slack lines after it's been hit by a 10m set cos I wan't one

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
4 Feb 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

TurtleHunter said...

so what is the fastest kite to relaunch with slack lines after it's been hit by a 10m set cos I wan't one

I'll stick with the Reo's, but I wouldn't mind some 10m sets!

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
4 Feb 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

tobes said...

TurtleHunter said...

I'll stick with the Reo's, but I wouldn't mind some 10m sets!

and you can take the first wave of the set tobes I will get the camera ready

truster
WA, 83 posts
5 Feb 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

TurtleHunter said...

The reo does not keep the bow shape after taken by head high wave; it sticks to the water in a flat shape

Most other wave kites lose their shape in the Waite water but go back to the bow shape afterwards, so relaunch is easy then. Reo does not.

The reo fly way better and float better so les chance of dropping the kite.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
5 Feb 2012 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

I kinda know what you mean truster. I have noticed in smaller surf (not 10m that's for sure) the old delta kites with a fat ar** leading edge used to be able to ride over white water pretty well instead of catching water in the wingtips but I wouldn't go back to them if you paid me. Also the reo like many modern kites have a slender leading edge and struts so maybe you need to up the pressure a bit if your finding it doesn't come back to shape as well.

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
3 Mar 2012 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

This review may be superfluous given the thread is 7 pages long and I guess many people may have ridden the Reo's by now, but for what its worth to the wave kiting community......

Kitepower Sydney kindly sent a demo 10m Reo up to Magnetic Island for us to try, and allowed us to keep it for a few weeks until we finally got some wet season trade wind, which is not always a frequent thing!

I rode the kite using a 2012 Xenon prisma 5'8" quad with a single front strap, and I'm about 80kg dripping wet. 7 years kiting experience. Previous kites used with surfboards include 2010 cab switch 12m, 2010 cab Nomads 11m and 9m, 2011 Naish Torch 10m, 2012 Naish Park 11m.

I flew the 10m Reo in the following winds:

12-14knots 20 minutes
17-20knots 2.5 hours
22-25knots 30 minutes

Mushy wind chop breaking on a reef edge, shoulder high waves, gusty cross onshore conditions.

The kite was really quick to pump up and easy to rig. It won't stand on a wingtip for a solo tethered launch, but slide launching it was very straightforward, as was solo landing.
In the air it feels very light, stable and easy to control. No problems keeping it in the air in 10-12knots. Given the previous posts in this thread, I tried my best to get it to luff, and found that it was very difficult, but possible, if you flew the kite quickly toward 12 and then fully depowered it right at the top of the window. I would think that many hybrid C-kites would do a similar thing in light winds, and I don't rate it as any criticism of the kite nor anything that a intermediate to advanced rider would ever have issue with.

In 12-14knots I couldn't get upwind, even with lots of sining the kite. Fun to throw around the sky though. 12m reo may have worked?

From 16-17knots this kite was definitely in the game, and I had a heap of fun with it in 17-20knots, with just a tad of depower pulled on. I'll reinforce what others have said - this kite turns very fast, with beautiful control thanks to the depower and direct line connections, and it really does open up a whole new set of possibilities with your wave riding. I found I could attack waves that jacked up suddenly right in my riding path with very little lead time, waves that I previously would have let go - the kite was responsive enough to be heading back across the window as I set up the turn and therefore keeping the lines tight right through the hack and the exit.
The fine control also allows for a range of turning options, from very quick wingtip pivot turns, to tight arcs and downloops, to wide controlled arcs with speed and power, and again these translated into a whole range of new possibilities of interacting with the waves on the surfboard.
I got one nice squall burst of 22-25 knots for a half an hour and the kite was still a joy to fly in that range, I just adjusted the depower to a comfy spot and it just cruised along, soaking up the gusts and turbulence without any problems. There was a bit more canopy shudder than you would expect from a 5 strut freeride kite, but that is just a reflection on the tri-strut design I think.

Overall a really nice package, the Ozone team have done a great job here and I could see it would improve my wave riding a lot to be using this kite. Didn't try it unhooked nor drifting down the line toward the kite as the conditions were too onshore. I admit to feeling a bit of envy at the southern states and west coast crew riding the 8m and 6m in decent waves and 25-35 knots, but hey, the change of seasons is nearly here and NQ is about to fire up a big winter of trade winds! The only gripe I had was the bar ends, very hard and I could see them putting a nice ding in your board if you weren't careful. Otherwise the bar was well thought out, easy to use, and very tough as per usual with Ozone gear. I also taught one lesson on the kite and the learner also commented it was easy to fly and confidence inspiring.

We have a cab drifter demo on its way, and would love to organise a BWS noise and a RRD religion demo as well, so we can really get a good overview of the current crop of waves kites. Certainly the Reo has set the bar pretty high.

Thanks again to Kitepower Sydney for the test kite.

Andy

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite" started by AKSonline