Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite

Created by AKSonline > 9 months ago, 21 Apr 2011
Danmurphys
WA, 231 posts
11 Mar 2012 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Build construction 10/10? Ppfffttt! My mate has 6 & 8m Reo's and both are broken. The 6m hit the water hard causing the canopy to split in half, and the 8's inlet valve internally twisted and broke. Even looking at it compared to a Religion, Park, etc, it looks weak and poorly reinforced, if at all. Sure its light and nimble and made by a company who is good at making paragliders, but wave kites need to be really strong as a priority. All this hype about the Reo is great for inflating the resale when you realise that they're actually crap and decide to pass it on to some other chump. I'm gonna rage on my torches and continue to watch all the Reo's fall to bits...

Tony Armstrong
NSW, 341 posts
11 Mar 2012 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Live to Fly.

Really, you must be on mushrooms for the last 12 months or so...

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
11 Mar 2012 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Yo live to fly I tried to follow your advice about buying an ozone reo that people don't want,I could only find 2 in the country, but i did find over 4 pages of naish torches

Danmurphys
WA, 231 posts
11 Mar 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Cauncy there are actually only 4 current model torches for sale compared to 2 Reo's which is the same order of magnitude and actually alot for a line that hasn't been running for a full season yet. Anyway, Im not trying to have a competetion who can piss the highest up the wall. Just saying that my experience with them leads me to doubt that their durability is fit for purpose.

Also just saying that reading this thread makes me do a little vom in my mouth. My opinion is that bridled kites drift as good as a corolla, when depowered are as responsive as a motorcyclist in a coma, and are about as predicatable and wobbly as a cut kiwi.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
11 Mar 2012 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Live to fly ozone would not release a kite that would as you say fall to bits,they tested the kite for over a year , with a large portion of that in aus , I've seen other brands also split when they have been crashed hard , I've got a reo on trial and yes it does look a bit lightweight,but if you covered it in heavy reinforcement it wouldn't perform the same, its a dedicated wave kite ,so you'd be better comparing it against the drifter or bws, if you like your naishes that's fine with me , I've given most brands a go but i wouldn't part with my ozones

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
12 Mar 2012 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone else had any problems with their Reo,s?
A good wave kite should be kept in the air not in the water, a decent wave can damage any kite - no matter how much Dacron you throw on it.

eppo
WA, 9499 posts
12 Mar 2012 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Agreed, you can't have your cake and eat it as well. You want performance, or do you want a crash proof kite!

Danmurphys
WA, 231 posts
12 Mar 2012 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Fair points guys. I'll organise a demo and see for myself. I'm always pushing myself and crashing the kite regularly so maybe what i want and need is different to those who are happy in their comfort zone and who's priorities are keeping their kite dry.

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
12 Mar 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

my reos are fine and i would say iam very rought with them.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Mar 2012 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Live to Kite,

We have had the same 6 Reo's (2 x 6's, 2 x 8's and 2 x 10's) in demo since we received them off the first production line in July 2011.

They have been out in almost constant demo since we first got them. We have sold heaps of Reo's on the back of demo's. The thing with demo's is you don't know what the skills are like of the person demoing, so they have been used hard by noobs, intermediate and skilled wave riders in all conditions.

Some of the demo's have been to Albany, Margaret River, Gnaraloo, Geraldton, Lancelin and all up and down metro Perth beaches and we have not done a single repair to ANY of them. ALL are in top condition.

I don't know what you do to your kites, but there are so many Reo's out there being ridden every day that I'm sure there would have been more said about any durability issues.

If you build a wave kite to handle all manner of abuse, it won't fly. Ozone build a great kite with exceptional wave performance and more than adequate strength for the designed use. As others have said, any kite can rip from ar$ehole to breakfast in the wrong predicament.

DM

Plummet
4862 posts
14 Mar 2012 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

loving my little 6 reo. if i was going to find something to complain about its the fact that it has to be pumped up real hard or you can get some canopy colapsing going on in hard out conditions. oh yeah it could have a little more lift too... but then you can't have everything on one kite.

14 Mar 2012 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

LiveToFly said...

Build construction 10/10? Ppfffttt! My mate has 6 & 8m Reo's and both are broken. The 6m hit the water hard causing the canopy to split in half, and the 8's inlet valve internally twisted and broke. Even looking at it compared to a Religion, Park, etc, it looks weak and poorly reinforced, if at all. Sure its light and nimble and made by a company who is good at making paragliders, but wave kites need to be really strong as a priority. All this hype about the Reo is great for inflating the resale when you realise that they're actually crap and decide to pass it on to some other chump. I'm gonna rage on my torches and continue to watch all the Reo's fall to bits...

Get your mate to contact any Ozone dealer and organise a new bladder for the 8M. There was a well publicised issue with the bladders of some earlier manufactured 2011/12 Ozone kites, so that took Reo's out of the picture but it is possible and we would replace the bladder if the valve has torn out. Just need a serial number.
As for splitting, that can happen to any kite, hit by a wave at the right time and place, even brand new kites of any brand.
Sometimes there is a small cut from self launching/landing that goes unnoticed, then when its loaded in a hard crash the kite splits. Anyway they are always easy repairs and do not affect the way the kite flies.

As for quality, Ozone kites are made in the same Ozone owned factory as the Ozone paragliders, to the same exacting standards. Peoples lives depend on Ozone's rigorous commitment to quality.

Having an inside knowledge on kite sales in this country and around the world, there are a hell of a lot of Reo's out there now, then kite has been a huge success for Ozone, there have been very few if any genuine complaints.

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
14 Mar 2012 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...

loving my little 6 reo. if i was going to find something to complain about its the fact that it has to be pumped up real hard or you can get some canopy colapsing going on in hard out conditions. oh yeah it could have a little more lift too... but then you can't have everything on one kite.

do you fly the 6m with the small bar(45cm)??

Plummet
4862 posts
15 Mar 2012 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

nope. i run the 50cm bar on all my ozones. she's pretty speedy but not uncontrollably so.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
19 Mar 2012 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Will be interesting to see what changes are made to the Reo in its next generation.
My guess,
Obviously - new bar (finally) & colours etc.
Maybe sort the canopy flutter out & improve its jumping capabilities, hope they don't mess with it too much.
Such a sweet kite for riding strapless.

Thoughts?

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
19 Mar 2012 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Who cares if it boosts or not I just want it to ride waves better. Soft bar ends would of been handy yesterday when I dinged my board.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
19 Mar 2012 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

^^ I agree TH but it has been mentioned previously on this thread so thought I,d add it as something Ozone could potentially be looking at. I think it boosts ok as it is in its upper range.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
19 Mar 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

the thing is toppleover if they make it boost better it will then drag you off the face of the wave if you get too much speed. I guess I am lucky that I have a kite for the twintip and the reo for the surfboard but there are also many who only ride a surfboard and a dedicated wave kite is all they want. I don't know what could be done but I would prefer it to just get better for catching waves.
A little less flutter would be nice if it doesn't detract from it's surfability though.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
20 Mar 2012 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Totally agree TH, I pretty much only ride strapless these days so dont give a toss about boosting anyway....

Not really sure what I was thinking when I wrote that earlier post.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Ozone Reo Wave Kite" started by AKSonline