Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Slinghot Rally

Created by troytam > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
9 Oct 2010 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Kite : 8M RALLY compliments of WA Surf (thanks heaps Phil - made our holiday)
Rider : Very basically competent (but very enthusiastic)
Conditions : Exmouth Graveyards - sloppy & small surf but unbelievably awesome as always.
Wind : strongest a tad over 25 kts - most days 16 to 20 kts
Board : 144 Hammer
Past Kites : Revs & Octanes

May be getting a tad tedious here but if you are researching seriously every opinion helps I guess. I'll try to stick to stuff not already covered.
My full props to Rhys as well. For a self confessed kite pimp his comments on the Rally are extremely accurate & balanced. If all the professional hype was this honest we would all be way better advised. (nb. I wouldnt know about comparisons to switchys or C4's though)

Counter to the Hype :
1) No. 1 comment - pump till u cant pump no more. True of Revs too but more so for the Rally. Even slightly under-flated will produce wing tip flutter which doesnt seem to effect performance too much but looks off & is a bit of a worry.
2) I am not as certain about the great low end of the 8M as other reviewers seem to be? It is a widely touted feature of Rallys generally that you can equate the lower 'even' sizes 6/8/10/12/14 to the 1M larger Octanes. Im pretty certain that the 8M Rally needs a bit more to get going than my 9M Octane but they probably hit the sweet-spot range close to the same time (for me the day I switched from one to the other that was about 19kts). It would be reasonable to think that this 1M+ size effect would be more noticable in larger sizes as it is a lower aspect delta shape.
3) I didnt get anywhere near top end conditions on either kite but I'm 100% certain the 8M Rally will definitely keep you comfortably out there in significantly higher winds ? (nb. 9M Octane got hairy for me at 28kts; never tried in over 30kts)
4) Bar pressure on the lightest setting is super light but kite movement still easily tracked through the bar. Agree with Rhys on the grip - it could be softer on the hands esp during long sessions. (minor problem).

Now for the good stuff. (briefly as possible)
1) Top single standout feature for me is its upwind ability. I love a kite that sits well forward when asked. The Rally is the 'best ever' Ive experienced here. This kite absolutely cranks upwind. Somewhat surprising as it appears to be far more low aspect than the Octane? Maybe thats something to do with the Delta shape ???
2) Overall performance is simply a joy. I cant believe kites just keep getting better. The 8M is super responsive, fast through the window as well as being super consistent. Very easily dialled. Power is delivery is smooth and consistent esp in higher winds. A great plus in a smaller kite imo.
3) And then there's boosting . WOW. If height and hangtime are your thing then the Rally wont disappoint. Octanes were good - Rallys are at least 20% better. I had one of my biggest, longest boosts ever on my first time out. Its going to be a fun summer.
4) Surf - cant really say from my ability in waves yet but it has all the right characteristics. It stops on demand, parks, drifts back and turns are quick & sharp.
5) Relaunch - everyone does but you have to say - its ridiculously simple.

Overall - a super all-rounder kite. No doubt there will be better special purpose kites out this year - beginners, freestylers & dedicated surf kites - but the Rally is sure to be putting lots of smiles on lots of faces this summer - esp mine.
Ive bought an 8M 10M combo planning for 14 to 30 kts. Hopefully a bit lower with my new surfboard and possibly as high as 35? (over 30 still more likely for you tear-arse types)

ps - anyone wanting some quality Octanes pls see the buy & sell. (7M is unused!)

odetojak
NSW, 54 posts
12 Oct 2010 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

What's it like to self-launch / self land?
Best way to do it?

Does it easily roll over the wingtip from side on, or is it a fold over the wing tip with sand etc.. reverse launch maybe?

I'm really liking the sounds of this kite but will be spending a lot of time travelling soon, so in absence of, well, friends, this is going to be rather thing key for me.

Thanks

Ellobuddha
NSW, 625 posts
12 Oct 2010 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Self launch from side on or downwind is real easy. Self landing is a cinch. It just floats down and will sit on its wingtip all day - then bar right out and pull on top front line and it just falls over into its place. Far easier than my switchy

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
20 Oct 2010 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Simple email, if your thinking about buying a Rally, do it you wont regret it. Just got of mine (12m) for the first time.... I'm having trouble typing as I'm still fizzing.

It just seems to do everything very well not to mention turn on a dime and pull like a truck, and float like a good fart in a spa pool.

Go get one now!!!

kitebored
NSW, 561 posts
27 Oct 2010 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone compare these to the SS T2?

Currently have a 7m/11m T2 combo, looking at upgrading to a 8m/12m rally combo.

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
27 Oct 2010 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

kitebored said...

Can anyone compare these to the SS T2?

Currently have a 7m/11m T2 combo, looking at upgrading to a 8m/12m rally combo.

The Rallys are so much better than the T2. You'll feel the difference, take one for a test and Im pretty sure you'll buy one (or two)

28 Oct 2010 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

You will be blown away with how much more responsive the Rally is to your current T2 quiver.
The Rally is very direct feeling, the T2 with its pulley bar and pulleys in the bridle is very indirect.
Depower is very similar, relaunch is quicker and easier. The safety system is better and simpler.
Build quality is equal or better, but the outstanding thing you will notice is the increased performance in boosting, upwind, turning, bar pressure, stability.

Kitepower demo day this Saturday at Dolls

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Oct 2010 4:34AM
Thumbs Up

My daughter flies a 7M T2 which I have used on quite a few occasions.
For mine the single greatest difference you will find is bar pressure. The T2 is way too heavy for my liking. I found myself resting on the stopper ball on every tack out after a very short time.
I really liked the T2 at the 7M size but I think the larger sizes would have been too slow turning and too slow through the window compared to the 9 & 11 revs I was flying at the time and certainly to the 8 & 10 Rallys I have now. Saying that I must also say that I havent had a chance to fly my 10M Rally yet (its windy here in WA) but I know it wont be slow.
Rallys will fly further forward than the T2. You wont believe the upwind angle you will get compared to the T2. In fact the Rally uses more of the window both ways. A lot more options for you with the Rally.
As Steve says you will have far better feel for the kite through the bar. T2s are heavy but they dont provide the normal payback of better tracking. Again probably exaggerated at the 7M size.
I found the boosting on the 7M T2 surprisingly good. It is a grunty little sucker when you load it up. But the Rally will blow you away. The T2 could rip you off the water but the Rally gives you height and hangtime way beyond anything the T2 can deliver.
Power delivery is way smoother as well. This is what I think makes so many refer to the Rally as 'easy' and 'user friendly'. The power is just there. Consistent. The T2s are great for beginners because they make you work the kite; the Rallys are the exact opposite - sooo smooth.

You wont know yourself - promise.

kitebored
NSW, 561 posts
28 Oct 2010 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the replies for T2 vs Rally - I've been quite happy with the T2's but haven't ridden much else and it's time for an upgrade, will demo the Rally as soon as I get a chance.

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
28 Oct 2010 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...

Kitepower demo day this Saturday at Dolls

Count me in... What sizes will be avail for demo?

29 Oct 2010 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

10M and the wind gods are looking happy!!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
30 Oct 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got my 10M out thinking we might get a bit of a lighter breeze yesterday. Wrong - it cranked again. Bloody windy here in WA
Anyhow I found its top end
For a mediocre 75kg rider on a large-ish TT the top end (with 125mm of depower trimmed) is something under 30kts. The gusts that came thru at 30kts were a tad over the top. Comfortable max controlled riding for me probably 28kts or less. And only good then if you dont suffer from vertigo - ooooeeeeee

Hint: Rallys fly off the front lines so they are very easy to trim correctly. I found that anymore than about 150mm of depower below the cleat just wasnt workable as the back lines become too slack and then everything starts to get messy.
Now to find that all important bottom end ???
Anyone out there know yet.

Still have no idea about a top end for the 8M. I doubt this little duck will ever go there.

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
31 Oct 2010 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Finally had a go on the 10m and all I can say is WOW what a great kite so fast and stable Im def getting 10/14 combo just need my tax return its now been over 3 months!!! F#CKN ATO F#CKERS!!!!!!! BTW Thanks to Kitepower for a great demo day.

Transition_Surf
SA, 286 posts
31 Oct 2010 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

best decision ever made. You'll love them....

hipppo
QLD, 8 posts
15 Nov 2010 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Currently run a 1 kite quiver (11m Octane) and am looking to up my range! Use surfboards (straps and no straps) and a TT as well. Leaning more to the surfing side of things than freestyle.
Want to go to 2 kites. Live on the Goldy but do travel a bit. Like the Octane alot but miss the bottom end of my previous TD2. (also 11m)
Can anyone give some advice on sizing - ie 14/10, or 12/8. Would like to get going in 12-15 with a surfboard, and be able to sail in relative control up to 35.
I'm 90kg.

Will use the smaller kite for my kids light wind kite also (He currently powered up in about 17kn on a 6m Naish.

Thanks in advance.

Kadkhah
WA, 381 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

10m Rally Saturday 13/11/2010 Perth
Rider: 87.5kg ,Level (intermediate/advanced)
Style: Freeriding + boosts
Weather: 15-18 knots
Build Quality: 9/10 (couldn't find the connection point for the pump's bungee)
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: User (I pay for my toys)

My Comments:
Couldn't believe that I was going upwind with a 10m on 15-16 knots
-Good jumps
-Very stable
-Loved the control bar
-Perfect bar pressure. You know exactly where the kite is without looking at it.
-Not fast, not slow. Perfect for beginners and free riders (not an advanced wave riding kite)

Note: Just like most Delta kites it is a kite that you can do everything but you wont be a champion in anything with this kite.
Perfect for everyday use.

FlyingPig
VIC, 12 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Kadkhah said...

i'm not sure about the rallys, but my slingshot rev2 has a small plastic clip that covers the inflate valve to ensure the valve doesn't open accidentally. i connect this clip to the pump bungee when pumping up the kite. Maybe check to see if the rally has this clip.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh they do. Just hook it onto the intake valve clip.

FlyingPig said...

Kadkhah said...

i'm not sure about the rallys, but my slingshot rev2 has a small plastic clip that covers the inflate valve to ensure the valve doesn't open accidentally. i connect this clip to the pump bungee when pumping up the kite. Maybe check to see if the rally has this clip.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
16 Nov 2010 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

14/10 would be good. the bottom end on the Rally eats the Octane. I rode an octane last year 85kg and didnt bother under 15 but i am riding up wind in 13 on the Rally. Octane was 11m and new Ralley is 12m. Have been out in 27 so far on it and it was controllable.

hipppo said...

Hi All,
Currently run a 1 kite quiver (11m Octane) and am looking to up my range! Use surfboards (straps and no straps) and a TT as well. Leaning more to the surfing side of things than freestyle.
Want to go to 2 kites. Live on the Goldy but do travel a bit. Like the Octane alot but miss the bottom end of my previous TD2. (also 11m)
Can anyone give some advice on sizing - ie 14/10, or 12/8. Would like to get going in 12-15 with a surfboard, and be able to sail in relative control up to 35.
I'm 90kg.

Will use the smaller kite for my kids light wind kite also (He currently powered up in about 17kn on a 6m Naish.

Thanks in advance.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
16 Nov 2010 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Got a bit of a feel for the bottom end of the 10M today (still only my second session off the 8M). Consistent 15kts had me upwind and jumping but already looking for more power. Im guessing anything under 14kts will be going home time. Or get out my new surfboard time
Thats 75kgs on a 144 hammer in sloppy chop.
So from these 2 sessions I rate the 10m workable wind range (for me) 14kts to 28kts but I'll be on my 8M well below that top end anytime I have the choice.

dachopper
WA, 1790 posts
17 Nov 2010 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I got to try one of these a few weeks ago, and I have to say I was not impressed with the direction it was going.

The kite felt more like a hang glider than any other kite I have flown, to the point where if you jump big and try and do anything, dealers choice as to weather you go up, then down, up, stay up, then down, up, stop, further up, float downwind then down etc..

I am sure there are people that will rave about the jumps - they are big and long, and the kite flies like a hang glinder to keep you in the air - but that trait makes it unpredictable as you never know if / when your gonna get another 3 - 4 seconds hang time.

feedback through the bar was low I thought ( compared to other kites ) ,and it felt a bit senseless as a result. - turn radius was pretty big and slowish ( I was on a larger one )

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
17 Nov 2010 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Just a note for everyone who rides any Slingshot kite including the Rally... There's a small black webbing loop next to one of the valves that's designed to work with the slingshot hook on their pumps... It blends in very well to the leading edge material and unless you search for it - nobody knows its there lol.

This is for pump leashes - plastic clips are to hold the inflate valve together and will break if you attached a pump leash to it enough times. Just remember, you need a pump leash with a hook, not a ball. If you have a ball, attached a little loop of line to that webbing loop...

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
17 Nov 2010 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Are you sure you where on the same kite we are talking about. Dosent sound like a Rally. What size was it, How strong was the wind?.

dachopper said...

Hi guys,

I got to try one of these a few weeks ago, and I have to say I was not impressed with the direction it was going.

The kite felt more like a hang glider than any other kite I have flown, to the point where if you jump big and try and do anything, dealers choice as to weather you go up, then down, up, stay up, then down, up, stop, further up, float downwind then down etc..

I am sure there are people that will rave about the jumps - they are big and long, and the kite flies like a hang glinder to keep you in the air - but that trait makes it unpredictable as you never know if / when your gonna get another 3 - 4 seconds hang time.

feedback through the bar was low I thought ( compared to other kites ) ,and it felt a bit senseless as a result. - turn radius was pretty big and slowish ( I was on a larger one )

latlong
WA, 93 posts
25 Nov 2010 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

This review is probably only going to interest kiters flying in WA where its been windy as hell for a week. Needed a small kite this week and got to demo a 6m Rally from G Spot in Gero.
Small, easy to get inflated and off the beach. Tiny kite, 20m lines and small bar means setting up is quick as. Enough grunt to get me out in the surf on my 6" board and plenty to keep me out in the waves for hours. Typical 6m kite, you take the drop, fly down wind and throw the kite to get down the wave. Keep it low and throw it round, plenty of power for a small kite. Plenty of speed adjusted by how hard the bar is pulled. Great little kite for those days when its blowing high 25+ and the swells cranking

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
2 Dec 2010 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

I currently have an 11m REV1 and ride a TT in the surf and weigh 83kg's have been kiting for 7 years.

What size Rally will be the best replacement for my 11m REV? - most comparisons here have been with the Octane.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
2 Dec 2010 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

10 or maby 12. Where do you live and whats the average wind you ride?.

sunseeker said...

I currently have an 11m REV1 and ride a TT in the surf and weigh 83kg's have been kiting for 7 years.

What size Rally will be the best replacement for my 11m REV? - most comparisons here have been with the Octane.

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
3 Dec 2010 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Sunshine Coast - most consistently we get 15-20 knots - it gets heavier a bit of the time 18-25knots. I'm thinking a 10,12 combo would be the best but if getting one only I don't know.

I used to have a 10m Switchblade which I find comparable to the 11m REV.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
4 Dec 2010 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

I live in brisbane, am 85kg and have a 12m Rally. i have only thought a couple of times i wish i had a 10. I have been out on it up to 25 knots with gusts a little more but didnt feel uncomfortable. My 11m Octane when de powered was a bit un controllable with turning speed but the Rally does not seem to be affected no matter how much de power you apply. I first started riding it in winter gusty sw wind and it handled the gusts sweet.

lind28
VIC, 54 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

hey Jaz 32. Comparing your two kites, do you find the Rally to have more low end? Does the Rally 12 turn quicker than the 11 Occy? Finally does the Rally have more direct feel than your Occy. Reason being I like my Occy but I weigh 86Kgs and need a bit more low end for lighter days and I miss the direct feel of my Fuels so Im looking to upgrade. Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Slinghot Rally" started by troytam