Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Slinghot Rally

Created by troytam > 9 months ago, 26 Aug 2010
mc
NSW, 357 posts
8 Dec 2010 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Help. Just been out on my 12 rally, nice kite, one concern, i have a very weak elbow and shoulder due to accidents, the bar pressure is higher than my 12 rpm , and my shoulder is now playing up as a consequence ,, any idea on how to lower the bar pressure, the rpm has settings , don't think the rally has the same as there are no pulleys , turns quicker, flys well, handles gusts v well .

Please help anyone

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
10 Dec 2010 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Yes the Rally has butt loads more bottom end than the Octane. I didnt even bother getting it out of the bag unless it was 15 knots plus but at 15 knots the Rally is sweet and that using the same board. The turning speed is faster on the Rally i think because it turns with more of a centre pivot where the Octane turns in more of an arch. The rally is a very stable kite although not as direct as a Fuel you still always know where it is.

lind28 said...

hey Jaz 32. Comparing your two kites, do you find the Rally to have more low end? Does the Rally 12 turn quicker than the 11 Occy? Finally does the Rally have more direct feel than your Occy. Reason being I like my Occy but I weigh 86Kgs and need a bit more low end for lighter days and I miss the direct feel of my Fuels so Im looking to upgrade. Cheers.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
10 Dec 2010 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Your Rally has three different bar pressure settings on the steering lines. Try it on the light setting and you should be sweet.

mc said...

Help. Just been out on my 12 rally, nice kite, one concern, i have a very weak elbow and shoulder due to accidents, the bar pressure is higher than my 12 rpm , and my shoulder is now playing up as a consequence ,, any idea on how to lower the bar pressure, the rpm has settings , don't think the rally has the same as there are no pulleys , turns quicker, flys well, handles gusts v well .

Please help anyone

lind28
VIC, 54 posts
12 Dec 2010 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jaz

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
15 Dec 2010 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

have bought rally 12 and 8, have used the 8 5 times and am still arguing with it, great kite on the water , very fast turning and predictable . had it in 25 to 30 plus on change last night. I have found bar pressure way to light in comparison to fuel and older octane . shifted rig to medium pressure and powered up one knot , seems better . had the kite drop out of the sky three times. once on landing side shore and gusty and twice on launch cross off just also gusty ,. ? the older ckites don't race as far forward and soak up sudden gust and wind drop better( they don't fly out of the window forward ) I am keeping kite lower to compensate . any suggestions to remedy ? up wind awesome compared to old kites and jumps are as every body desribes. although with the 8 I am spending time to compensate for the fact that the kite flys so oo quickly from one side to other. i am keen to work out as the drift and bottom end of these things is awewsome and should be fun in surf.

Lartay
QLD, 39 posts
18 Dec 2010 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

I have an 8m rally. I am 60kg and I ride a 135 Underground FLX.
I can ride my 8 from 15 knots to 30.
I can also ride the 12 from about 10 knots.
I ride my 8 on the lightest pressure, middle knot on the outside lines and last knot on the bridle.
I also found that it falls out of the sky on extremely gusty conditions.
I was at Merimbula this year and half of the kites were rallies.
I like it because it has little bar pressure, coming from the crossbow and usually suffering tennis elbow, it is nice to go home with out the pain.
it turns! During freestyle it is nict to put one hand on the bar and be able to turn the kite with one hand (8m). If you stuff up a trick, the kite will usually find its way back to the window. It has quite a bit of lift and floats you down for a smooth landing.
When you unhook, it doesnt rip your arms from your sockets, it behaves really well, not oversheeting easily.
relaunch is the best I have encountered, slingshot have special handles that allow you to pull the lines without having to pull the bar for relaunch.
Sagfety system glides through the bar so easily, you just hook it back in and off you go.
I am personally very happy with my rally, well done slingshot.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
22 Dec 2010 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

You say lightest setting is the middle on the back lines on the kite , the lightest setting is marked As the end setting on the rear lines, can you explain in more detail what you mean , the lightest setting should be the end of the kite and the last knot (powered up )on the front lines, I'm thinking I have my rally set up incorrectly for light pressure which is what I need, I only understood you could adjust the pressure on the back connection points only as stated on the kite , thanks in advance

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
22 Dec 2010 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Set your side/ steering line pigtails to light bar pressure, then use the first not on your side lines and the first not on your centre lines. This will give you the lightest it can give but don't expect it to be as light as an RPM or Fuel.

lind28
VIC, 54 posts
24 Dec 2010 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got a 12 Mtre Rally. Weight 86Kgs. Been kiting since 2002. Previous kites.
First kite back then was a Cabhrina 2 liner (Widow maker) and bone breaker.
2: North Rhino 18 mtre (Green Giant) Great for cruising in 15 Knots.
3 set of kites: Slingshot Fuels 2004, 2005 Sizes 9/13,15. (Awesome kites for there day)
4: North Rebels 2009,2010 all 12 mtre
5: kite: Slingshot 2010 Octane 11 Mtre

I personally think the Rally is the easist and most enjoyable kite I have owned so far. It is amazing how they keep making these kites better.
I had some great times in 2005 on my fuels and I reckon they where the best kites around in that time.
Finally after 6 long years I reckon Slingshot are on to something again.
The Rally has re-ignited the kiting addiction in me. Thanks Slingshot and No thanks for the Octane I now have to sell.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Slinghot Rally" started by troytam