Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard

Created by Ryland > 9 months ago, 10 Oct 2011
Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
10 Oct 2011 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

these new surfboards should be in stores this week. ive had 1 for about 6 months now and stoked with it. at this stage only available without inserts. come with a 5 fin set up so can be ridden as a thruster or quad and come with future fins boxes.

woodys
WA, 218 posts
22 Oct 2011 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

We have the first run Mulcoys in store now at both Scarbs & Woodys. Demos available if ur keen to try them out.
Be nice to see some reviews here from local independent riders.

As Ry mentioned - only available without inserts for now. No definite word on when the strapped version will be out.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
27 Oct 2011 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions: knee high mush at mulluloo
Wind 15 knots sw
Thought I would give my thoughts after my first ride to compare with my previous board.
Rider: average, wave, 76 kg 192cm tall
Disclosure: BWS test team rider
Board 5'10" mulcoy with mulcoy tri fin set up and dakine kick pad on tail

Well after my first ride I can say happy, happy happy.

Previously i used to ride a 6' board designed to be strapped and fully powered up. I took the straps off last season and found that although it was great on the wave I had to muscle it to get up wind. this meant on my old board, more time going up wind and less waves

The Mulcoy is designed for strapless. It just glides. Turning is controlled for slashing which surprised me for a 5'10" long board but once I had a few waves I started to get the feel for it. I don't think it would be a problem in head heigh plus walling waves, but will need to see. The board was a demon upwind, which had me grinning after my previous power hungry board. By being so easy to ride it made more time for waves and less time grinding upwind.

Did I mention the glide.

Also the fluro yellow is easy to see in the water on a cloudy late arvo session

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
27 Oct 2011 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Poida said...

Also the fluro yellow is easy to see in the water on a cloudy late arvo session

What you mean like a lure.

I couldn't believe how deserted the beach was before sunset, seems like everyone is a bit paranoid over here these days.

The board looked great and despite the fairly light conditions you seemed to be getting upwind no worries, I could see by your smile that you were enjoying it.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
27 Oct 2011 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Lol, it was lookin like shark feeding time before sunset, good motivation to not fall off.

Abesy
WA, 266 posts
28 Oct 2011 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

prices?
wats it like to use as ur everyday stick as well?
heavy compared to a standard short board?

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
28 Oct 2011 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

^^heres most of the answers vv

www.benwilsonsurf.com/?productid=17607&cat=252&page=1

I think it eps construction, so a bit lighter than a pu surfboard. The 5 fin boxes add a bit. But the board feels light. Add the cost of fins to the price.
See woodys shop in Scarb also they are stocking them.

I generally use a longer board for paddling for surfing, but will be giving this board a go. The new boards seem to have some more foam hidden in there somewhere to give you a bit more float.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Oct 2011 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Abesy said...

prices?
wats it like to use as ur everyday stick as well?
heavy compared to a standard short board?

Prices - $795 clean OR $974 with 5 x Mulcoy designed Futures
5'10" & 6'0" same same.
Paddle In - Ben is committed to dual purpose boards - thats what BWS is all about and this is exactly what Josh Mulcoy has designed.
Heavy - no way light as (3.4kgs to be exact) - hard to believe really - feels like nothing even with 5 x boxes.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Oct 2011 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Heres what JM has to say......
includes the good ...the bad ....but theres nothing ugly to report.

Message from Mulc's:
“This board is built for riding the waves and there's years of time and experience put into it from both Stretch and myself. If you're looking at this board for doing big jumps and slashing a few turns on the waves, it's not going to be the best board for you as it's not constructed for that. For me, feel and liveliness is everything in a board. The deck will dent in and you will get pressure dings. But for me and most other surfers, that is the best thing ever. You want a board to mold to your feet, so foot dents are a good thing and it's part of what I wanted. Don't panic.
Just so you know, in the past I have gone as far as to kick in dents on brand new boards. The best boards are the ones that you can ride for surfing and kitesurfing. I am the most picky person when it comes to surfboards and this is what I really surf on. So please if you are wanting to go do big jumps, don't buy this board, but if you want a real surfboard that works great for surfing and kitesurfing this is the board for you.” Josh Mulcoy

And a note from BWS ....
Warranty - It is a surfboard - we do not warranty this board against breakage.
DONT buy this board if you are expecting a board that will not break or show signs of wear from normal use.
DO BUY this board if you want to experience the custom feel of the boards that our pro team ride.

COL
NSW, 551 posts
29 Oct 2011 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

2 x 6oz deck, 1 x 6oz bottom. Over EPS, that does sound light weight. I hope their EPS is something special?
Col

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
29 Oct 2011 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a board with similar construction and weight for the past two seasons, with no dramas. But I'm not doing big jumps. So it didn't bother me.

The rail grooves would add some strength in addition to the stringer.

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
29 Oct 2011 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

$au went up so -$50

woodys
WA, 218 posts
30 Oct 2011 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Poida said...

The rail grooves would add some strength in addition to the stringer.

Grooves also come in very handy for rail grabs - esp seeing they dont come with a handle

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
30 Oct 2011 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

the rail grooves actually work great for a number of reasons-
*they add strength- without weight!
*they come in handy when carrying your board when super windy.
*great for grabbing doing airs- i actually wax in the groove in mine.
*and when edging you can really lock for heal into this and motor upwind.
*also when i paddle mine it works great when duckdiving waves as you can get a really solid grip on the rails
-im 90kg and i can paddle the 6'0 no worries- these have a lil extra width through the tail giving abit more float so u can get away with paddling these if you normally paddle a 6'1-6'4

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
30 Oct 2011 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

you blokes and new boards have skunked the wind and swell for that matter

herbyburger
WA, 301 posts
30 Oct 2011 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Had a look at one yesterday Down at Woodys (hammy hill), really nice looking shape, deep concave,
unbelivabley light, I'd say aimed at the advanced rider, not sure how it would go in real messy, choppy conditions but if it was nice and clean Im sure it would light up. Good honest write up from Mulcoy I reckon. I want one!Shame I dont have a disposable income.

spreader
37 posts
30 Oct 2011 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

please can you tell me why Ben rides his own custom board "most" of the time????

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
31 Oct 2011 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

spreader said...

please can you tell me why Ben rides his own custom board "most" of the time????

Maybe because one baord doesn't suit all rider all of the time. What suits BW might not suit your average kiter (i.e. the market). I suspect that the board he's riding on a 25+ foot day at Cloudbreak, isn't the same board i'd be rding in 2ft Perth slop. No big mystery.

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
31 Oct 2011 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Conditions: Augusta onshore slop
got almost 5 hours on the 5'10 mulcoy board this weekend down south surfing and kiting! pretty happy with the buy. find it very quick on the turns. good for 180 airs and snapping off the lip. found it smooth on the waves when surfing it (shoulder high beachy)
a little sluggish on the straight lines (ie tacking up wind) dunno if that was due to the fins dragging or the swallow tail or the rocker.
got a MASSIVE heel dent after only about an hour kiting it. didnt seem to get any deeper only got wider as i found the sweet spot.
looking forward to using it this weekend in the WA wave comp!

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
31 Oct 2011 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

puppetonastring said...

Heres what JM has to say......
The deck will dent in and you will get pressure dings. But for me and most other surfers, that is the best thing ever. You want a board to mold to your feet, so foot dents are a good thing and it's part of what I wanted. Don't panic.
Just so you know, in the past I have gone as far as to kick in dents on brand new boards.

Kicking dents in new boards? Pressure dings the best thing ever?

lol

Imagine dropping $800 on a new board and kicking the crap out of it. haha.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
31 Oct 2011 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

puppetonastring said...

5'10" & 6'0" same same.

So what are the dimensions of these boards?

WA, 1255 posts
31 Oct 2011 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

bene313 said...

lol

how do you think Ian Alldredge does those crazy airs

woodys
WA, 218 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

bene313 said...

lol

I reckon it would have been quite a while since JM dropped $800 (or any amount) having to pay for a board.

COL
NSW, 551 posts
3 Nov 2011 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

My concern is not the light weight. If you want an ultra high performance board then sure you can live with it being fragile & not lasting too long. Heel dents aren't going to detract from performance.
Production styrene boards have pretty hi tech sandwich skins which provide a good barrier to water entering the open cell core. If these boards have an open cell core and just your garden variety 0.25mm thick skin, then just a minor fracture that goes undetected/unrepaired is going to cause an extrordinary weight gain.
Col

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
3 Nov 2011 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

I just got one, it's too pretty to be a kiteboard straight away

and it weights in almost a kg less than advertised

i almost don't believe it is 6+6, 6

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
4 Nov 2011 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

really good board for surfing

i've had 2 stretches before

this one with the stringer is way more lively

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
5 Nov 2011 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Delivery time from online is unbelievably quick, if you're not near a store that stocks them. DHL door to door in 3 days for mine, faster than posting within Australia.

OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
9 Nov 2011 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

The boards look insane...so pumped to have them out now!

Marcel

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
9 Nov 2011 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

OceanAddicts said...

The boards look insane...so pumped to have them out now!

Marcel

Lucky enough to have wind all week and put the 5'10" (as a thruster) through its paces. I love it! Feels light and loose, but you can still bury a rail for a decent 'gouge'. The rail design is great; you can lock your heel in the deck channel heading out, or use it for grabs. Haven't kited on my forehand (other than upwind) or paddle surfed it yet, but am super impressed at this stage.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
12 Nov 2011 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

yeah, yeah, i know its an advert, but great vid and tune

.be

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
9 Dec 2011 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

these boards are now available which the option of inserts for crew wanting the option of straps. strapped model having an extra layer of glass too.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 BWS - Josh Mulcoy surfboard" started by Ryland